Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,612 members, 7,820,178 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? (72209 Views)

4000 Empty Containers Leaving Nigeria (Picture) / Nigerian Man Shows Off How Much He Has Changed Five Months After Leaving Nigeria / "The Day I Left Vs Now" Transformation Of A Medical Doctor After Leaving Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by WeRblessed(f): 10:36pm On Feb 21, 2020
wizdomnzube:
Omo ehn, it's obvious you're an Ajebutter wink

What's Ajebbutte?
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by WeRblessed(f): 10:37pm On Feb 21, 2020
xeros20:

This is my sister l have been looking for

Awww, so nice, thanks
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by 8stargeneral: 10:37pm On Feb 21, 2020
praiseneo:
I swear I don’t and I’m in Lagos
U for do am in Lagos.. since ur there!
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Feb 21, 2020
AreaFada2:
Regret being too busy with life and didn't return to visit often enough. Especially in the early years.

By the time you now have more free time to be visiting more often, parents are old and then gone for good.

Now it's just saddening how 9ja that was sweet like honey when growing up is now just a den of kidnappers, yahoo boys, ritual killers, Boko, herdsmen and robbers. Very sad.
you're one of those few whom have made valid points and responded based on the topic created by the OP. Kudos bro....I had every opportunity to stay back after my program at Howard. I came back. I can't afford to stop seeing my parents. I love being closer to the family. My friend's dad died while he was battling with his papers , he couldn't come home. He cried, cried and cried...what a life!

I thank God for my life, maybe my kind of decision didn't work for others but If they can search for unique opportunities, they can still stand tall. Indians used to dominate the sector in which i operate in Nigeria . Now, we have taken over. I've been to 34 states in USA. We have manufacturers spread all over there. I've had the opportunity of meeting with the USA president at the daughters of American revolution hall in D.C. some years back, courtesy my profession. I'd always be grateful to God for the inspiration

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by zeestone99(m): 10:45pm On Feb 21, 2020
sassysure:

If they give u free visa, it's your type that will run to the airport without looking back.

I wonder how u will be abroad and your parents will be suffering. Makes no sense.

No offense bro. Let's be civilized and argue as adults(except you Aren't). You dnt know me yet you decided. I have the funds and opportunities yet I didn't move. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Success is relative. I'm enjoying the thread and reading people's different opinions and respecting their decision. That's how it should be.

6 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mizwisdom(f): 10:45pm On Feb 21, 2020
DexterousOne:

Religious leaders are to blame.

Insurance is actually a good thing

Agreed. But the information being given out here is completely false. The person I quoted was saying we didn't have health insurance. I think many people are simply ignorant, that's why they are complaining in the first place
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by smiliyB(f): 10:51pm On Feb 21, 2020
sirhamilton:

After NYSC, i got a sales job in a bank paying 40k , monthly target was was 1M. i wore out two pairs of shoes trekking all over town, my hair turned brown from the sun. I resigned after 3 months to save my life. After spending the next 2 months in recovery, i got another job in a one man organization, the pay was 30k; now i basically ended up being an errand boy though my job role was administrative officer, well, i guess i was the administrative errand boy. One of my lowest moments working their was the day the boss had me do his wife( full time house wife ) grocery shopping. Prior to this i'd always get gas for his power gen' set at home when i get off work and buy his lunch. Being owed salary till the second week of the month was normal, after which i'd be paid 25 or 25k out of 30k, with the balance to be paid later.

There are days i reminisce, and i still have no idea how i managed to survive in Nigeria all my life.

The question should be " What are your regrets not leaving Nigeria?"

PS: However, on the flip side i think we'd all agree that Nigeria made us the people we are today or still hope to become
Hahahahahahahaha you made me laugh so hard, everyone is just asking if I'm okay grin grin Naija my country... I understand your first job, I worked with Real Estate company before it wasn't easy at all... I came back for Christmas, my family was just asking if I'm fine at all, I don slim wella undecided
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Baroba(m): 10:53pm On Feb 21, 2020
Family, the Nigerian uni experience and friends, I left as a 19 year old 11 years ago...
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by ibinaboonline: 10:54pm On Feb 21, 2020
good4all40:
If you migrated from Nigeria to most first world countries legally, your only regret will be not leaving Nigeria early, l doubt this country is going to develop with these type of visionless leaders, sometimes you get mad for finding yourself in this part of the world but there is little or nothing you can do about it, we have accepted our faiths.

This country is so bad that you can be killed by anything the security of our country has never been this worst.

This country is only built for the super rich even as at that, their security is not even guaranteed.

Some people will never know the definition of peace and absolute tranquility, till they travel to a sane country which they can go out and shop at 1am in the morning without fear of being killed or kidnapped.
is that so? So all those mall shootings, church shootings school shootings drive-by shootings, car-ramming style of terrorism, street mugging, etc are all happening in fictional Gotham?

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sirhamilton(m): 10:59pm On Feb 21, 2020
ibinaboonline:
is that so? So all those mall shootings, church shootings school shootings drive-by shootings, car-ramming style of terrorism, street mugging, etc are all happening in fictional Gotham?

No society is 100% crime free!

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 11:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
ofem89:

haven't you heard the story of the returnee's from Libya? is Libya Nigeria?

Lol I'm not talking about that kind country wink
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by lilyheaven: 11:08pm On Feb 21, 2020
SpecialAgent:

Bros, no worry, even if everybody leaves, I will still be here, even if Nigeria becomes a warzone, I go still dey. no stress urself. besides it's not like I can go anywhere
Nigeria is our country, I can't give up on her.
I can't leave my comfort zone to live with people that thinks they are better off because of my skin color. No matter how Nigeria is, we will always find a way to adjust.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by musicwriter(m): 11:10pm On Feb 21, 2020
WeRblessed:
Have visited Nigeria four times. Mom is Nigerian from Imo State, and she thought me Igbo language and culture. I love the culture. I can write and speak Igbo fluently. I love the village so much. There you can actually eat fruits from the organic trees. My grand mother doesn't buy vegetables from the grocery store. She gets them from the backyard garden. I also love the bushes and the local streams. I love Igbo language. My mom always made sure I learn it, and I have been so grateful that I can speak and write it. I speak Spanish and little German. My college friend Bolla thought me some Yooruba language as well. I regret leaving my cousins and the village. I dont like Nigerian cities, always reminds me of India when I visited. Too crowdy, noisy, dirty, and dangerous drivers.

I was talking to someone recently and he told me that ''people in the village eat better food than people in the city.'' I asked him why, and he replied that they eat fresh food. I was taken aback and ever since I've been wondering whether this's actually true.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by feelgoodstuffs(m): 11:11pm On Feb 21, 2020
rawfact:

What about Nigerians in China (particularly those in Wuhan), begging to be repatriated?

Na condition make cray fish bend, as soon as this virus thing is over, thinking of going back to Nigeria will become past tense

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by ibinaboonline: 11:23pm On Feb 21, 2020
At least in Nigeria, if you keep away from certain places and stay indoors at certain times, you'll be fine. While in western countries like the US, some weirdo will just enter a pub and start shooting at rando, or some other wacko will just attack you with knives on the street in broad day light and for no reason.
sirhamilton:

No society is 100% crime free!

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Luxxycool(m): 11:26pm On Feb 21, 2020
justlikedat:
My regrets for leaving naija is not leaving earlier.
What I missed for leaving naija are:
1. 'Shortcuts' in getting things accomplished as you have to follow due process and procedures here in UK.
2. As Ibadan man, I missed my regular Amala and abula at ola mummy, Skye, iya ope etc
3. I missed my regular get-together with my friends all over drinking joints at Iwo road.
4. Can you imagine, sometimes I miss some of naija crazy ways of doing things. The noise, crazy drivers, cursing when a driver messed up, playing loud music all around the town, hawkers making noise in the neighbourhood etc

Nevertheless, I thank Jehovah God for taking me and my family out of Naija.

Wetin eyes see for naija, mouth no fit talk am finish.

I'm glad i found someone that said my mind exactly, those joints you mentioned has got me thinking, I miss them die most especially BUSH inside secretariat. I'm new in the UK so it's boring, still finding my bearing and I'm missing home. That being said, I do not regret leaving. I'll just make sure I go home every year.

8 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by sirhamilton(m): 11:29pm On Feb 21, 2020
ibinaboonline:
At least in Nigeria, if you keep away from certain places and stay indoors at certain times, you'll be fine. While in western countries like the US, some weirdo will just enter a pub and start shooting at rando, or some other wacko will just attack you with knives on the street in broad day light and for no reason.

Where did you get this news from? grin grin
Well, That's the same way I heard SARS arrests and extorts any member of the beard gang
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Mcslize: 11:39pm On Feb 21, 2020
PremiumTrends:
Some people don't care about the hundreds of millions you're mentioning, they just want peace of mind. Many young Nigerians have legit legal millions but are still harassed by SARS for having those millions. Will you say they are harassed because they don't have money? You mentioned Dangote and the likes earlier. Why do they send their children abroad to study then, if their millions can bring Heaven on Earth for them? You claim to have millions but do you even have a simple Health Insurance Scheme that works for you? There is none of that in the country. Even with their hundreds of millions, people have lost loved ones in hospitals due to flimsy excuses like power failure or staff strike. Your millions can buy you as many exotic cars you want, but can you comfortably drive them on Nigerian roads?
Your reasoning shouldn't be shallow, focusing on money alone as to why Nigerians travel out. Some people just want a system that works! I'm not imposing my thoughts on you, but re-evaluate your point of view.

sowilli read this PremiumTrends post very well. It seems like you are not familiar with how terrible the Nigeria system is. You based your judgement on money, but do you know that SARS do harass young legit hustlers going about their normal lives on a daily basis simply because they are driving clean cars? They term every fresh guy a Yahoo boy. Are you aware of that?

Can you comfortably flaunt your wealth if you won't be kidnapped within a week? Can you move freely or drive freely in the night if you won't get robbed on the way in Nigeria?

I have always said it: I don't know why most of you always focus on money while neglecting quality standard of living. What's the life expentancy of those in Nigeria? Can you boldly quote the life expectancy of people in Nigeria and compare it with those in the western world?

Let's not always base our judgements on money. Even if you have the money, you can't live freely here in Nigeria without watching over your shoulder any time you are out. The system is very life threatening here. Once you have money, police will harass you on a daily basis to collect their own share, arm robbers will ambush and rob you on a daily basis. What of kidnappers? They will open a bank on your head every six months.

Do you know how many times Mikel Obi's father got kidnapped? Simply because his son is a footballer. They kept kidnapping the old man every year. Why do you think they are doing that? Bro believe it or not, it is a crime to have money in Nigeria cuz you can't spend it freely. Everyone will like to take their share. But that's not the case in the western world.

No wealthy man moves freely here in Nigeria without carrying gazallion of security men along. Think of all of that and you will realise that your motion holds no point.

People are suffering in Nigeria. We pay for what we are not using. No light but NEPA still bring bills every month for people to pay. In the west, you enjoy what you pay for in hundred folds do you know that? The system is designed in a way that there is no dichotomy between the rich and the common man. They all enjoy the same basic amentinities. Can we say of that in Nigeria?

My point? Don't base your judgement on money cuz you won't live to tell the story if you have the money in Nigeria. We advocate for quality standard of living. A system where life is valued. A system that gives the common man the opportunity to enjoy world class infrastructures and boost life expentancy.

Believe it or not, Nigeria is not a safe place to stay.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Dandas: 11:40pm On Feb 21, 2020
Last Last you go dey alright ....meeen can I PM you I need to go through this Spousal route too[/quote]

��� sure...anything for my fellow naija
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:42pm On Feb 21, 2020
only thing i missing here is pounded yam or eba and egusi soap cos no melon or garri here.minus that one i dont think i miss nigeria that much cos u cant say someone will be missing armed robbers,killer fulani herdsmen and kidnappers,no light which is the bane of nigeria.i just miss my family back home but not nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Feb 21, 2020
Kingpele:
Forget this guys that are hyping abroad, you will first of all Miss your loved ones, th....
true..still missing my loved ones back home but i dont miss nigeria abeg.anyway i make do with talking with my loved ones back home on video watsap anytime i am free.they see me and i see them....its like being with them all over again cheesy.anyone telling u he is missing nigeria when he travels is lying to u cheesy.the only ppl u miss are ur family.

3 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Ndipe(m): 11:49pm On Feb 21, 2020
Missing family, loved ones, the Nigerian vibe . . .

2 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Feb 21, 2020
franchasng:
true because everybody is productively busy working, reason most diaspora guys flood naija social media.

Nigerian chicks that know whatsup, who are friendly and cute should open their eyes oh, opportunity de for una to hook foreign based Naija guys with good home training not the spoilt ones like MrCork and co lipsrsealed
one of my aunty"s friend in naija was lucky to hook a uk based guy she met on facebbook.that one was in 2017 cheesy.babe just finished poly then the guy came to naija to see the parents and take her with him to the uk cheesy.most sharp naija babes these they search dating sites for foreign based naija single guys...though risk dey the racket.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:02am On Feb 22, 2020
armadeo:

I remember my first international connecting flight being a local bou I thought all airports where like our beloved muritala airport small and compact.

When I asked directions and found out I had to take a train to the other side of the airport to connect I almost fainted.

See as I dey run for airport. Last last dem dey announce my name for speaker say plane wan go where I dey.

I run belleful that day. After entering train oh.

I realised that muritala airport is a joke.

When you see airport you will believe
have u been to Hamad international airport in qatar? mehn dat airport make sense.
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:05am On Feb 22, 2020
Koginaija:
that is Buhari and not me,I love nigeria die. home sweet home. I ain't going any where(permanently).naija na my home,na where baba GOD put me and na here adey.
one of my guy had ur same type of opinion about loving naija and never leaving naija until i saw one facebook pic of him holding one old oyibo woman and smiling his teeth out cheesy.bros sharpely marry one yankee granny for greencard grin grin.though sha d time he used to love naija was during the jonathan days cheesy.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by EgunMogaji2: 12:07am On Feb 22, 2020
good4all40:
If you migrated from Nigeria to most first world countries legally, your only regret will be not leaving Nigeria earlier, l doubt this country is going to develop with these type of visionless leaders, sometimes you get mad for finding yourself in this part of the world but there is little or nothing you can do about it, we have accepted our faiths.

This country is so bad that you can be killed by anything the security of our country has never been this worst.

This country is only built for the super rich even as at that, their security is not even guaranteed.

Some people will never know the definition of peace and absolute tranquility, till they travel to a sane country which they can go out and shop at 1am in the morning without fear of being killed or kidnapped.

I sold a car to a total stranger around twelve midnight in California.

My ex that arrived from Nigeria a few months before was besides herself with fear grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by franchasng: 12:08am On Feb 22, 2020
lefulefu:
one of my aunty"s friend in naija was lucky to hook a uk based guy she met on facebbook.that one was in 2017 cheesy.babe just finished poly then the guy came to naija to see the parents and take her with him to the uk cheesy.most sharp naija babes these they search dating sites for foreign based naija single guys...though risk dey the racket.
risky you say All rackets are risky for the ladies na; they are just trying luck till one works out because only the man knows what he wants and where the relationship is heading cry
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by franchasng: 12:10am On Feb 22, 2020
lefulefu:
have u been to Hamad international airport in qatar? mehn dat airport make sense.
Dubai, Qatar are the finest airports in the world.

Heathrow's just big and busy but ugly and outdated, UK need to be burnt to ashes for destroying Africa, Nigeria especially angry

Asian countries seem to have the finest airports in the world today, very commendable while Nigeria is still struggling with installing modern ILS embarassed
Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:22am On Feb 22, 2020
franchasng:
Dubai, Qatar are the finest airports in the world.

Heathrow's just big and busy but ugly and outdated, UK need to be burnt to ashes for destroying Africa, Nigeria especially angry

Asian countries seem to have the finest airports in the world today, very commendable while Nigeria is still struggling with installing modern ILS embarassed
british ppl loved outdated things cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by justlikedat: 12:23am On Feb 22, 2020
Luxxycool:

I'm glad i found someone that said my mind exactly, those joints you mentioned has got me thinking, I miss them die most especially BUSH inside secretariat. I'm new in the UK so it's boring, still finding my bearing and I'm missing home. That being said, I do not regret leaving. I'll just make sure I go home every year.
You are right bros, UK is boring especially to those of us that has spent most part of our lives in naija before migrating or relatively new here. But the ones born here or those that has been here for long have a way of widening out to enjoy themselves. For new and older people, it's difficult making new friends unless you are fortunate to be around those you have known from naija. Everybody is busy here and it seems the system only encourage you to go to work, come home to sleep and go back to work . The system is not 'naija compliant' at all but it allows one to be focussed and develop yourself gradually. The system is stable and working unlike naija wey be say common man no get life.

4 Likes

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:24am On Feb 22, 2020
franchasng:
risky you say All rackets are risky for the ladies na; they are just trying luck till one works out because only the man knows what he wants and where the relationship is heading cry
the guy married her and took her with him to the uk.some ladies are lucky but not all are that lucky cos there some foreign based guys who will just lie to u and after giving them the cookie with the hope of them marrying u and taking u with them they will just chop the cookie and run cheesy.some even give the girl belle and abandon the girl in naija.she was just lucky meeting a decent guy who took her seriously.

1 Like

Re: What Are Your Regrets For Leaving Nigeria? by salford1: 12:25am On Feb 22, 2020
fairfora:
i've never been a politician and I can't be one. hungry people join Nigerian politics. the mistake most people in the diaspora make is their thinking that only those who have made it here are politicians. I'm a service provider in the health sector . Last year, we already met our annual target in August. What we made there after was in excess and every staff smiled home after profit sharing was declared last December. My friends I left behind , those who were mocking me back then for taking a decision of returning home are nowhere close to my achievements. Ask them to send home just 100usd and they'd block their family member's line forever. Shockingly, I spend on them whenever I visit US. I don't even inform them a more of my schedules and visits as they've turned parasites.
grin what kind of friends do you keep. Na waoh.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (24) (Reply)

My Street Amid Last Day Of COVID-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / How I Started My Tricycle (Keke) Business & How Much I Make In A Day (Photo) / USA Spousal Visa Process/ K3 Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.