Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,899 members, 7,824,773 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany (70189 Views)

Just Got My Visa To Travel To Germany For Work, I Am Having Cold Feet. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 11:32am On Feb 23, 2020
Victorex001:

Okay...but I won’t have a problem seeing student part-time job of €400 monthly??
If I take out €200-300 from my BA while I save the rest, I could easily pay back half to my uncle after my visa renewal right? Does this make sense? Or can’t work this way?

I appreciate your efforts replying and helping to make me understand.
Yes you can see part time job but all this jobs are not steady because they are contract jobs that may last for 3, 4 or more month’s. In situation like this what you will do is to make up your mind then come and face it. To me renewing student visa is not a problem as far as you doing some courses each semester and have some money in your account. Only few state request for 10k euros in account before visa renewal and they are mostly eastern German states.

3 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by AjalaDtraveller(f): 1:02pm On Feb 23, 2020
Odingo1:

Yes you can see part time job but all this jobs are not steady because they are contract jobs that may last for 3, 4 or more month’s. In situation like this what you will do is to make up your mind then come and face it. To me renewing student visa is not a problem as far as you doing some courses each semester and have some money in your account. Only few state request for 10k euros in account before visa renewal and they are mostly eastern German states.
Odingo1:

For renewing your visa, you don’t need to present a full 10k euros again, except if you are in some crazy East German state that will deal with you as a black man if don’t have much money in your account.

Some western German state with 1k euros in your account they will renew your visa. Visa renewal is not a problem. You don’t need to call home for another money.

Your major concern should be how to pay back your loan not visa renewal, paying back any money require full time job and physical good health to manage combining working full time with going to school and sometimes job will stop. Not all the time that job is available.

Odingo1 I read your post your are right in many aspects but wrong in some areas: renewal of visa depends entirely on the rules in the particular place where you reside. Its not an east German thing. No! I know several cities in the south, in the north, west, when you renew they ask you to reblock money like the first time you applied for a visa. So depending on where you find yourself you might reblock another 10,000 euro plus. But there are some lenient places that will make do with checking the amount you earn from 3 recent payslips. Let's say, monthly you earn 450 and the required amount per month is 850 that means that you have to prove the balance of 400 multiplied by 12 months. So in total you prove funds of 4,800 in addition to your payslips. Now in some areas this balance must still be blocked. Others don't ask you to. Some areas don't care about your work, only funds. Germany is a varied country. What works in one place may not work in another place. I have seen so many instances
Also as a student if you present yourself at a company to do full time job they mostly would not risk employing you because your visa restricts you to 20hrs during school and full time holidays. So don't bank on full time job. Besides a couple of people have received warnings from foreigners office as per visa rules on working. You honestly do not want to be in thier bad books.
And those saying 250euros is enough for accommodation. I have been laughing. Any accommodation of 250 must be subsidised, bare minimum and mostly in a hostel. Or mostly a shared accommodation, with the discomfort of shared communal areas toilet, bathroom with other people. If you can't get into the list for hostels, In the private market a decent simple accommodation is far more expensive than that 250-350 euro you guys are quoting. Not talk of the monthly the bills that you need to pay for electricity, heating, water, and a lot more grin

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 2:25pm On Feb 23, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
Honestly 8M+ is too much for a total of 2 years, in Nigeria some people can survive on that amount for nearly a decade or so. Education in a good foreign place could be a good investment and should pay off sooner.
Do you have any alternative, this one that you're sounding different Your mom is really supportive, don't be a disappointment to her. If it isn't Germany is itva No no too

I don’t have any alternative...but seems in Ireland students can work and take care of bill unlike Germany...but I hoped for Germany because of the free tuition.

Then they should stop deceiving ppl about study and school because this is clearly not working and schooling.
It’s outrageous.

So students can get part time jobs for €450 monthly?

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 2:27pm On Feb 23, 2020
Odingo1:

Making up my mind to come and face is not a problem, but I can’t come over to Germany and start calling home for money for up keep.
Because seems the study and schooling is deceit in Germany if one can’t work as a student to meet up basic bills.

Countries like Ireland students work and afford basic bill, I hope for Germany because of free tuition fee but seems Germany is not it.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 3:12pm On Feb 23, 2020
AjalaDtraveller:

Odingo1 I read your post your are right in many aspects but wrong in some areas: renewal of visa depends entirely on the rules in the particular place where you reside. Its not an east German thing. No! I know several cities in the south, in the north, west, when you renew they ask you to reblock money like the first time you applied for a visa. So depending on where you find yourself you might reblock another 10,000 euro plus. But there are some lenient places that will make do with checking the amount you earn from 3 recent payslips. Let's say, monthly you earn 450 and the required amount per month is 850 that means that you have to prove the balance of 400 multiplied by 12 months. So in total you prove funds of 4,800 in addition to your payslips. Now in some areas this balance must still be blocked. Others don't ask you to. Some areas don't care about your work, only funds. Germany is a varied country. What works in one place may not work in another place. I have seen so many instances
Also as a student if you present yourself at a company to do full time job they mostly would not risk employing you because your visa restricts you to 20hrs during school and full time holidays. So don't bank on full time job. Besides a couple of people have received warnings from foreigners office as per visa rules on working. You honestly do not want to be in thier bad books.
And those saying 250euros is enough for accommodation. I have been laughing. Any accommodation of 250 must be subsidised, bare minimum and mostly in a hostel. Or mostly a shared accommodation, with the discomfort of shared communal areas toilet, bathroom with other people. If you can't get into the list for hostels, In the private market a decent simple accommodation is far more expensive than that 250-350 euro you guys are quoting. Not talk of the monthly the bills that you need to pay for electricity, heating, water, and a lot more grin
You said it all bro, Germany is very varied, each state with their own palava, the country have changed so much in less than 5 years in this student visa issue. Also the cost of living is high.

2 Likes

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 3:29pm On Feb 23, 2020
Victorex001:

Making up my mind to come and face is not a problem, but I can’t come over to Germany and start calling home for money for up keep.
Because seems the study and schooling is deceit in Germany if one can’t work as a student to meet up basic bills.

Countries like Ireland students work and afford basic bill, I hope for Germany because of free tuition fee but seems Germany is not it.
The situation in Germany now is that your block account will go down and you will not be able to pay money back. The student mini job cannot sustain you monthly. All this is because the immigration is now enforcing the student visa rules all over Germany because many African student when they come they don’t go to school any longer and go about working throughout the year.

Also many state as learnt is now demanding for the 10k euros for visa renewal. I came here 5 years ago, did masters here and now working. Situation have change over the years. When we came their immigration is not tough on student visa, we use to renew our visa with 1k euros or job contract paper.

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 5:10pm On Feb 23, 2020
Odingo1:

The situation in Germany now is that your block account will go down and you will not be able to pay money back. The student mini job cannot sustain you monthly. All this is because the immigration is now enforcing the student visa rules all over Germany because many African student when they come they don’t go to school any longer and go about working throughout the year.

Also many state as learnt is now demanding for the 10k euros for visa renewal. I came here 5 years ago, did masters here and now working. Situation have change over the years. When we came their immigration is not tough on student visa, we use to renew our visa with 1k euros or job contract paper.

Wow. This is really discouraging.

The visa renewal is a big ish. That’s spending almost 8m for masters.

But why is it in other countries, students can work and take care of bills or it is a payback because of the free tuition fee?
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 7:00pm On Feb 23, 2020
Victorex001:

Wow. This is really discouraging.

The visa renewal is a big ish. That’s spending almost 8m for masters.

But why is it in other countries, students can work and take care of bills or it is a payback because of the free tuition fee?
I think is because of the cost of living in Germany is high. It have nothing to do with free tuition.Most families in Germany depend on government bailouts to survive.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Stephenmoka4(m): 12:37am On Feb 24, 2020
Victorex001:

I don’t have any alternative...but seems in Ireland students can work and take care of bill unlike Germany...but I hoped for Germany because of the free tuition.

Then they should stop deceiving ppl about study and school because this is clearly not working and schooling.
It’s outrageous.

It all boils down to the jobs, some make €200 monthly others make higher, that €450 could be average or estimate. One thing why the block account is important is that, the pay from student's work isn't enough and you might even spend more than what is in your block account depends on your budget, location or lifestyle. As a student you could be spending and ask yourself where is all this money going to, the €10k+ in the amount might get burnt before the year runs out, you'll have to work, spend less and save more. I don't know much about Ireland but, their tuition is expensive too. One thing is that each country (developed mostly) has a way of balancing things economically. You can still go to Germany if you have a scholarship please don't be discouraged, I think DAAD gives scholarship and also check the university for any available assistantship or scholarship
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 11:37am On Feb 24, 2020
Odingo1:

I think is because of the cost of living in Germany is high. It have nothing to do with free tuition.Most families in Germany depend on government bailouts to survive.

I won’t be able to renew my visa with another 10k because I don’t have anyone to do that.

Hearing this is like a dagger in my heart because I heard high hopes and already started my process.

It’s madness for me to go to abroad and request for another 4.2m after 1yr...that’s outrageous and selfish of me if I do that.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 11:39am On Feb 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
It all boils down to the jobs, some make €200 monthly others make higher, that €450 could be average or estimate. One thing why the block account is important is that, the pay from student's work isn't enough and you might even spend more than what is in your block account depends on your budget, location or lifestyle. As a student you could be spending and ask yourself where is all this money going to, the €10k+ in the amount might get burnt before the year runs out, you'll have to work, spend less and save more. I don't know much about Ireland but, their tuition is expensive too. One thing is that each country (developed mostly) has a way of balancing things economically. You can still go to Germany if you have a scholarship please don't be discouraged, I think DAAD gives scholarship and also check the university for any available assistantship or scholarship

I won’t be able to renew my visa with another 10k because I don’t have anyone to do that.

Hearing this is like a dagger in my heart because I heard high hopes and already started my process.

It’s madness for me to go to abroad and request for another 4.2m after 1yr...that’s outrageous and selfish of me if I do that.

I don’t believe in scholarships, i don’t like to give myself false hopes...I always try to prepare my mind for the worst situations.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Stephenmoka4(m): 1:07pm On Feb 24, 2020
Victorex001:

I don’t believe in scholarships, i don’t like to give myself false hopes...I always try to prepare my mind for the worst situations.
Keep your hope high, you might spend less than expected too. How is your visa application going and how far is your interview date
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Stephenmoka4(m): 1:09pm On Feb 24, 2020
Victorex001:

Don't blame it on yourself or family, you're not the one that imposed the €10k thing, it's because of the kind of location that's the cause of all this, if 1N = €1 then no problem. But sadly sad
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 4:14pm On Feb 24, 2020
Stephenmoka4:
Keep your hope high, you might spend less than expected too. How is your visa application going and how far is your interview date

I was at the embassy for certification, I am in contact with some schools, I want to try an avoid East Germany...
But right now I’ll havd to stop everything because of this 10k must to renew my visa...that’s the killer

I’m 95kg, 6ft 1inch tall, 27 in July...working hard is not my problem because I understand life is not easy anywhere and I’m not coming to Germany with a mindset to pick money or pluck money I believe in hardwork....but the 10k renewal is the joy killer right now.

So everything is on hold...Canada hardly give visa, and Ireland fees are expensive
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Haryoureendey4(m): 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2020
Pls anyone here in Germany that can help me by acting as my sponsor cry cry tongue

I have 1m already for my flight ticket and food....
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 9:20pm On Feb 24, 2020
Haryoureendey4:
Pls anyone here in Germany that can help me by acting as my sponsor cry cry tongue

I have 1m already for my flight ticket and food....

You don’t know that they charge 6,000€ to give sponsorship letter or even more. Those that can give it use it to make money.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by olaboy1: 11:11pm On Feb 24, 2020
@ Victor. How much do you have saved personally for this move apart from the block account?
I believe cost of living in Sweden is higher than Germany.
You should be able to rugged it with 500 euros/month as a student and be fine, all you need is a shared accommodation and a frugal lifestyle.
You will spend most of your time working and studying in the classrooms and library.
If you have around 600k personal savings, then take the plunge, but make sure you go to the city where there are jobs.
You are soon 27 and I promise your life will be improved, you are going to look back and be glad about this.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 12:33am On Feb 25, 2020
Victorex001:

I have seen this warning about East Germany..I’ll try my best to avoid that area.

Can you give me a hint why everyone says East Germany to be avoided.

Is Magdeburg in East Germany??

just avoid it,simple, not everything we say or share online. angry
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 12:44am On Feb 25, 2020
Victorex001:

It’s outrageous.

false info
I study,work (4yrs plus)and don't get extra money from anyone from naija and got a lovely mum i support, all na preparation and the Key na German language profiency and God's favor, make sure you dey speak before you come, that work wey you dey find, you go get am and work tire sef.
Do you have any skill? painter,bricklayer,carpentary?? nevertheless, learn German for 7months -1yr before you come and thank me later,when you reach here cos you go need am for both manual and later your professonnal carrier.
cheers

If you ignore the bolded, no man go tell you cos work go dey pass you, shocked sad angry

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 12:46am On Feb 25, 2020
AjalaDtraveller:

valid info, especially that renewal part but guys when you reach no fear renewal, way must show
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Victorex001(m): 6:22am On Feb 25, 2020
styles2009:

false info
I study,work (4yrs plus)and don't get extra money from anyone from naija and got a lovely mum i support, all na preparation and the Key na German language profiency and God's favor, make sure you dey speak before you come, that work wey you dey find, you go get am and work tire sef.
Do you have any skill? painter,bricklayer,carpentary?? nevertheless, learn German for 7months -1yr before you come and thank me later,when you reach here cos you go need am for both manual and later your professonnal carrier.
cheers

If you ignore the bolded, no man go tell you cos work go dey pass you, shocked sad angry

Wow. Thanks for the info.

No I don’t have any skill, just finished my NYSC.

What about visa renewal? Would I be needing another 10k euros to renew the following next??
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Haryoureendey4(m): 7:56am On Feb 25, 2020
Odingo1:

You don’t know that they charge 6,000€ to give sponsorship letter or even more. Those that can give it use it to make money.
I don't get, please can you explain in details well sir.....
Thanks
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 9:40am On Feb 25, 2020
Haryoureendey4:
I don't get, please can you explain in details well sir.....
Thanks
They sell sponsorship letter, the price ranges from 6000€ to 10k euro. You have to buy one if you don’t have close person that will give it to you. Sponsorship letter is not something they give anyhow because if the person misbehave the sponsor can be arrested.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Jojobod: 10:38am On Feb 25, 2020
amikable97:

I'm not trying to criticise your efforts o but if you really did your research well you would have known that the amount for blocked account was increased to €10,236 since July/August last year and it came into effect in September 2019...

Even after 2 to 3 people have pointed this out to you, you still don't wanna effect the correction... Don't you know that the information might mislead new readers that are not familiar with the process?
What matters most are the little bits of information... cool cool cool

bro can I talk to you
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 3:28pm On Feb 25, 2020
Victorex001:

Wow. Thanks for the info.

No I don’t have any skill, just finished my NYSC.

What about visa renewal? Would I be needing another 10k euros to renew the following next??

If you don't have one learn one, 2+2 =?
the second question about renewal has been answered on the thread already .
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 3:30pm On Feb 25, 2020
Odingo1:

They sell sponsorship letter, the price ranges from 6000€ to 10k euro. You have to buy one if you don’t have close person that will give it to you. Sponsorship letter is not something they give anyhow because if the person misbehave the sponsor can be arrested.
Why buy sponsorship letter for up to 10k? � Naija Sha

1 Like

Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by bmarketing: 7:53pm On Feb 25, 2020
styles2009:

You dey mind am. When block account is 10k
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by Odingo1: 9:30pm On Feb 25, 2020
styles2009:

You don’t know that with sponsorship letter you are free from the stress of providing another block account while in Germany for subsequent visa renewal. That is why the price of getting it is high.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 1:29am On Feb 26, 2020
Odingo1:

You don’t know that with sponsorship letter you are free from the stress of providing another block account while in Germany for subsequent visa renewal. That is why the price of getting it is high.
When i do my renewal in the last few years presenting 25% of the total required amount and a work contract.
Let me laugh � again to you or anyone buying sponsorship letters for 6k to 10k
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 1:31am On Feb 26, 2020
bmarketing:

You dey mind am. When block account is 10k
Block account 10k, sponsorship letter 6k,do the Maths, put that 6k in your account here in DE and you'll get a renewal minimum of 1year, I'm not talking of getting a visa from naija.
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by bmarketing: 2:02am On Feb 26, 2020
styles2009:

Block account 10k, sponsorship letter 6k,do the Maths, put that 6k in your account here in DE and you'll get a renewal minimum of 1year, I'm not talking of getting a visa from naija.
Yeah, I dig but the sponsorship letter to renew for 6k is quite expensive. Do you mean you get the sponsorship letter once for 6k ? I don't follow. My understanding is MSc is 2 yrs. If you use block account you have covered one year remaining one year
Re: Cost Of Living In Germany For Nigerians:5 Things To Know As A Student In Germany by styles2009: 7:45am On Feb 26, 2020
bmarketing:

Yeah, I dig but the sponsorship letter to renew for 6k is quite expensive. Do you mean you get the sponsorship letter once for 6k ? I don't follow. My understanding is MSc is 2 yrs. If you use block account you have covered one year remaining one year
I never did sponsorship letter, block account, student working contract was sufficient to renew and get 2yrs stay, I started with Foundation school (Studienkolleg)

Honestly it all depends on who you met on the day of your permit renewal, some just ask you 3 months pay slip and that's all, nothing like 10k or bring sponsorship letter cos they know you must spend money to upkeep yourself as a student.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Interchange Julius Beger Is Constructing In Obosi, Anambra (Photos) / COVID-19: What Economy Class Could Look Like After Virus / The Real Story About The Nigerian Woman Deported From Germany With Her 3 Kids

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.