Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. - Religion (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. (22451 Views)

After Jesus’ Resurrection, Was His Body Flesh Or Spirit? / If A Baby Dies Will He/She Go To Heaven Or Hell? / Where Will Mad People Go To When They Die: Heaven Or Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by Janosky: 6:25pm On Mar 17, 2020
shadeyinka:

It seems the woman was used to bringing up demons to impassionate the dead but this time around instead of her usual, she saw Samuel himself. She was scared enough to cry out with a loud voice.
If it was a demon as usual, why should she exclaim "why have you deceived me?"

1Sam 28:12:
"And the woman saw Samuel, and cried with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, Why have you deceived me? For you [are] Saul!"

I didn't discuss that in italics with anyone.

Bros,pls study your Bible well well....
1 Sam28:3-8, king Saul knew Yahweh strictly prohibited the practice of divination (Deut18:10-12. Lev 19:31).
So,he banished them from his domain.Vs 3.
Prophet Samuel cut off all contacts with Saul.
Desperation and curiosity to know the outcome of the war with the Philistines led him to seek out the witch woman.
Saul disguise his identity,hence the witch asked Saul: 'why have you deceived me?"
She knew it was illegal for Saul to seek her services.... Yahweh forbade it.
Thank you.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 6:37pm On Mar 17, 2020
blueAgent:

Stop quoting confused authors who don't know what they are saying.

The Nature of Death
If death is the cessation of life , what does the Bible say about a
person's condition in death? What makes it important that
Christians understand this Biblical teaching?
Death Is a Sleep.

Death is not complete annihilation; it is only a
state of temporary unconsciousness while the person awaits the
resurrection.
The Bible repeatedly calls this intermediate state a
sleep.
Referring to their deaths, the Old Testament describes David,
Solomon, and the other kings of Israel and Judah as sleeping with
their forefathers (1 Kings 2:10; 11:43; 14:20, 31; 15:8; 2 Chron. 21:1;
26:23; etc.). Job called death a sleep (Job 14:10-12), as did David
(Ps. 13:3), Jeremiah (Jer. 51:39, 57), and Daniel (Dan. 12:2).
The New Testament uses the same imagery. In describing the
condition of Jairus' daughter, who was dead, Christ said that she
was sleeping (Matt. 9:24; Mark 5:39). He referred to the deceased
Lazarus in a similar manner (John 11:11-14). Matthew wrote that
many "saints who had fallen asleep were raised" after Christ's
resurrection (Matt. 27:52), and in recording Stephen's martyrdom,
Luke wrote that "he fell asleep" (Acts 7:60). Both Paul and Peter
also called death a sleep (1 Cor. 15:51, 52; 1 Thess. 4:13-17; 2
Peter 3:4). The Biblical representation of death as a sleep clearly
fits its nature, as the following comparisons demonstrate: 1. Those
who sleep are unconscious. "The dead know nothing" (Eccl. 9:5). 2.
In sleep conscious thinking ceases. "His breath goeth forth, . . . in
that very day his thoughts perish" (Ps. 146:4, KJV). 3. Sleep brings
an end to all the days activities. "There is no work or device or
knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going" (Eccl. 9:10)
. 4. Sleep disassociates us from those who are awake, and from
their activities. "Nevermore will they have a share in anything done
under the sun" (verse 6). 5. Normal sleep renders the emotions
inactive. "Their love, their hatred, and their envy have now
perished" (verse 6). 6. In sleep men do not praise God. "The dead
do not praise the Lord" (Ps. 115:17). 7. Sleep presupposes an
awakening. "'The hour is coming in which all who are in the graves
will hear His voice and come forth'" (John 5:28, 29). 3
The Person Returns to Dust. To understand what happens to a
person at death, one must understand what makes up his or her
nature. The Bible portrays a person as an organic unity (see chapter
7 of this book). At times it uses the word soul to refer to the whole
person, and at other times to the affections and emotions. But it
does not teach that man comprises two separate parts. Body and
soul only exist together; they form an indivisible union.
At humanity's creation, the union of the dust of the ground (earth's
elements) and the breath of life produced a living being or soul.
Adam did not receive a soul as a separate entity; he became a
living soul (Gen. 2:7: see also chapter 7 of this book). At death the
inverse takes place: the dust of the ground minus the breath of life
yields a dead person or dead soul without any consciousness (Ps.
146:4). The elements that made up the body return to the earth
from which they came (Gen. 3:19).
The soul has no conscious existence apart from the body, and no
scripture indicates that at death the soul survives as a conscious
entity. Indeed, "'the soul who sins shall die'" (Eze. 18:20)
The bible speaks of three kinds of death
1. Physical Death:
Mat 9:18:
"While He spoke these things to them, behold, a certain ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, My daughter has just now died. But come and lay Your hand on her and she will live."

Luk 7:12:
"And drawing near the gate of the city, even behold, one having died was being carried out, an only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a considerable crowd of the city was with her."

Luk 8:52:
"And all were weeping and bewailing her. But He said, Do not weep; she has not died, but sleeps."

John 6:49:
"Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and died."

2. Spiritual Death:
Rom 8:6:
"For to be carnally minded [is] death, but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace"
Genesis 2:17
But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.

Ephesians 2:1-3
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else.

3. Second Death:
Rev 2:11: "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death."

Death isn't just a cessation of life but a disconnection or separation!

1. Physical Death:
Disconnection/separation of the Physical Body from the Soul and Spirit
2. Spiritual Death:
Disconnection/separation of God's Holy Spirit from Man's Spirit. We were all born spiritually dead. The Holy Spirit in us make us spiritually alive.
Don't forget that a spiritually dead person may still have an active conscience.

Gen 5:3:
"And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years and fathered [a son] in his own likeness, after his own image. And he called his name Seth."
3. Second Death:
Eternal and irrevocable disconnection/separation of God from the body, soul and spirit of a person.

Rev 20:14-15:
"And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death. And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire."

I have explained what "Sleep" connote: I guess "Second Sleep" makes sense to you in view of the second death!?
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 8:00pm On Mar 17, 2020
Janosky:

Bros,pls study your Bible well well....
1 Sam28:3-8, king Saul knew Yahweh strictly prohibited the practice of divination (Deut18:10-12. Lev 19:31).
So,he banished them from his domain.Vs 3.
Prophet Samuel cut off all contacts with Saul.
Desperation and curiosity to know the outcome of the war with the Philistines led him to seek out the witch woman.
Saul disguise his identity,hence the witch asked Saul: 'why have you deceived me?"
She knew it was illegal for Saul to seek her services.... Yahweh forbade it.
Thank you.
1Sam 28:9-10:
"And the woman said to him, Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off mediums, and the spirit-knowers, out of the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die? And Saul swore to her by the LORD, saying, [As] the LORD lives, there shall no punishment happen to you for this thing."

Saul had expelled and banished all mediums from Israel. Up to this point the woman did not know that this important man standing before her was Saul himself. This man swore an oath of protection for the woman.

1Sam 28:11-12:
"And the woman said, Whom shall I bring up to you? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. And the woman saw Samuel, and cried with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, Why have you deceived me? For you [are] Saul!"

The woman was supposed to bring up Samuel. Ordinarily, a demon would have impassionated Samuel and this would have been normal as the woman knew the identity of the said Samuel. Unfortunately, it seems God allowed the real Samuel to surface. The shock made her cry out with a loud voice. After her shout, she then spoke to Saul: why have you decived me!?

The woman knew this was NOT ordinary and thus connected it with the unthinkable "the King Saul".

For the rest, you have to rely on exactly what the bible says.
1. And Saul saw that it was Samuel (not a demon in disguisi)

1Sam 28:14: "And he said to her, What [is] his form? And she said, An old man comes up, and he is covered with a cloak. And Saul saw that it was Samuel, and [he] bowed [his] face to the ground, and prostrated himself."

2. And Samuel said to Saul:
1Sam 28:15: "And Samuel said to Saul , Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am grievously distressed, for the Philistines are warring against me. And God has left me and does not answer me any more, neither by prophets nor by dreams. And I have called you so that you may make known to me what I should do."

3. And Samuel said ... why then do you ask me

1Sam 28:16-17: "And Samuel said, [b]Why then do you ask me, [/b]since the LORD has left you and has become your enemy? And the LORD has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hand and [is] giving it to your neighbor, to David."

Except you want to rewrite the Bible, what is written is very clear.
It is what the bible says or your conjecture....you can choose. Even if you assume that Saul saw an aperation, the bible said "And SAMUEL spoke to Saul". This makes it double clear
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by Janosky: 12:48am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

1Sam 28:9-10:
"And the woman said to him, Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off mediums, and the spirit-knowers, out of the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die? And Saul swore to her by the LORD, saying, [As] the LORD lives, there shall no punishment happen to you for this thing."

Saul had expelled and banished all mediums from Israel. Up to this point the woman did not know that this important man standing before her was Saul himself. This man swore an oath of protection for the woman.

1Sam 28:11-12:
"And the woman said, Whom shall I bring up to you? And he said, Bring me up Samuel. And the woman saw Samuel, and cried with a loud voice. And the woman spoke to Saul, saying, Why have you deceived me? For you [are] Saul!"

The woman was supposed to bring up Samuel. Ordinarily, a demon would have impassionated Samuel and this would have been normal as the woman knew the identity of the said Samuel. Unfortunately, it seems God allowed the real Samuel to surface. The shock made her cry out with a loud voice. After her shout, she then spoke to Saul: why have you decived me!?

The woman knew this was NOT ordinary and thus connected it with the unthinkable "the King Saul".

1Sam 28:14: "And he said to her, What [is] his form? And she said, An old man comes up, and he is covered with a cloak. And Saul saw that it was Samuel, and [he] bowed [his] face to the ground, and prostrated himself."

1Sam 28:15: "And Samuel said to Saul , Why have you disturbed me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am grievously distressed, for the Philistines are warring against me. And God has left me and does not answer me any more, neither by prophets nor by dreams. And I have called you so that you may make known to me what I should do."

1Sam 28:16-17: "And Samuel said, [b]Why then do you ask me, [/b]since the LORD has left you and has become your enemy? And the LORD has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the LORD has torn the kingdom out of your hand and [is] giving it to your neighbor, to David."

It is what the bible says or your conjecture....you can choose. Even if you assume that Saul saw an aperation, the bible said "And SAMUEL spoke to Saul". This makes it double clear

Bros,I'm not making any conjecture whatsoever.
Vs11 : the woman said: "Whom should I bring up for you?"
Saul replied:" bring up Samuel for me"
The question is: "who is the "Samuel", the witch saw?
Vs13" Saul asked her ,"what do you see?"
"The woman said: "I see spirits coming up out of the ground"

### My Questions to you:

Bros, how come the "spirit" you claim goes to meet God (Eccl12:7, has been dwelling in the grave waiting for a satanic woman to summon him ?
How come 'Samuel' is multiple "spirits" coming up out of the ground?

Vs 15: God & Prophet Samuel rejected Saul ,why would Samuel speak to Saul through the medium Yahweh forbade?
Or
To claim that the real Samuel spoke to Saul amounts to tacit approval of spirit mediums, diviners & sorcerers in the guise of divine intervention.....(Isaiah 44:25)

Can't you now see that the "Samuel" she saw was actually a demon?
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 4:52am On Mar 18, 2020
Janosky:

Bros,I'm not making any conjecture whatsoever.
Vs11 : the woman said: "Whom should I bring up for you?"
Saul replied:" bring up Samuel for me"
The question is: "who is the "Samuel", the witch saw?
Vs13" Saul asked her ,"what do you see?"
"The woman said: "I see spirits coming up out of the ground"

### My Questions to you:

Bros, how come the "spirit" you claim goes to meet God (Eccl12:7, has been dwelling in the grave waiting for a satanic woman to summon him ?
How come 'Samuel' is multiple "spirits" coming up out of the ground?

Vs 15: God & Prophet Samuel rejected Saul ,why would Samuel speak to Saul through the medium Yahweh forbade?
Or
To claim that the real Samuel spoke to Saul amounts to tacit approval of spirit mediums, diviners & sorcerers in the guise of divine intervention.....(Isaiah 44:25)

Can't you now see that the "Samuel" she saw was actually a demon?
If the woman saw an impassonating demon as expected,
1. why then did she screen in shock
2. Why did this make her conclude this important man must be Saul

If the apparition that came up wasn't Samuel,
3. Why did the Holy Spirit inspired word not use the term "evil spirit" for it?
4. And why did the scripture assert it was Samuel?
5. Samuel alone couldn't have been gods (plural), or do you think Samuel alone was the said "gods"?

Anything different from what the scriptures said is tantamount to rewriting the scriptures to suit our desires
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 7:39am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Job is saying there is nothing to do to wake up a corpse till heavens be no more(end of the world)!

Is this interpretation correct?

100% correct.

That means Samuel could not have been the one who appeared to Saul and the witch.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 7:43am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

So paradise is a state of unconsciousness?

Paradise is Heaven.

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

And we are told that People go to Heaven, only when Jesus comes and the dead in Christ resurrects with new bodies

The dead know nothing.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by Nobody: 8:04am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

https://www.christiantruthcenter.com/difference-between-god-laws-and-mosaic-law/

There are 6 differences between God laws and Mosaic Law.
If a person fails to differentiate these laws, s/he gets confused with
which part of the law applies to him/her.
God laws are the Ten Commandments found in Exodus 20 while Mosaic
Law are all other Old Testament laws found in the Torah or Pentateuch
books (first five books of the bible).
6 Differences between God laws and Mosaic Law
The 6 differences are; –
1. God laws were audibly spoken by God at Mount Sinai Ex 19:9, 20:1
And the LORD said to Moses, Lo, I come to you in a thick cloud, that
the people may hear when I speak with you, and believe you for
ever. And God spoke all these words, saying… While Moses laws
were not given audibly but given to Moses privately.
2. God laws were directly written by the figure of God on table stones
Ex 31:18: And he gave to Moses, when he had made an end of
communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony,
tables of stone, written with the finger of God, while the Law of
Moses was not written by God but by Moses inspired by God Deut
31:9 And Moses wrote this law.
3. It is God who commanded His laws in Mount. Sinai Deut 4:13-14:
And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to
perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two
tables of stone. And the LORD commanded me at that time to teach
you statutes and judgments, that you might do them in the land
which you go over to possess it. While Moses commanded his laws
(the statutes and judgments) to the children of Israel. Notice the
two different commanders of the two laws.
4. The law of God was preserved uniquely inside the ark of covenant
Ex 25:16: And you shall put into the ark the testimony which I shall
give you, while the Law of Moses was place on the side of the ark
Deut 31:24-26: And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end
of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished,
that Moses commanded the Levites, which bear the ark of the
covenant of the LORD, saying, take this book of the law, and put it in
the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it
may be there for a witness against you.
5. 2Ki 21:8: Neither will I make the feet of Israel move any more out
of the land which I gave their fathers; only if they will observe to do
according to all that I have commanded them, and according to all
the law that my servant Moses commanded them . From this verse
we see also that there are two different laws. God uses the words ‘ I
have commanded them ’ meaning the Ten Commandments while
‘ The laws that my servant Moses commanded them ’ meaning the
laws of Moses.
6. Daniel revealed this difference between these laws. Dan 9:11: Yea,
all Israel have transgressed your law, even by departing, that they
might not obey you voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and
the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God,
because we have sinned against him. ‘Your law’ referring to God
laws; the Ten Commandments while ‘the law of Moses’ referring to
the Mosaic Law.
A Christian has to differentiate these two laws because God’s law (the
Ten Commandments) applies to all people at all times while the Law of
Moses is specifically for the Jewish people.

TEN commandments for all the nations but only Israelites were given!
The remaining belongs only to the Israelites alone but whoever comes to the temple for worshp must pay his tithe no matter what nation they come from, whereas TITHE is no part of the Ten commandments!

My friend continue teaching your misinformed churchgoer friends! cheesy
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 8:36am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

Paradise is Heaven.

Revelation 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.

And we are told that People go to Heaven, only when Jesus comes and the dead in Christ resurrects with new bodies

The dead know nothing.
Corpse know nothing!

1. Please account for the statement of Jesus. Was that also a parable or a figurative expression. If it is, please explain
Jesus said TODAY YOU SHALL BE WITH ME IN PARADISE!

Luk 23:43: "And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

2. If Paradise is Heaven and the dead are not yet in paradise because they are unconscious. How come Paul was "caught up into Paradise"?

2Cor 12:4: "that he was caught up into Paradise and heard unspeakable words, which it is not allowed for a man to utter."

3. Since you claim to understand the scriptures, can you please explain who are the cloud of witnesses described in Heb12:1-2

Heb 12:1-2:
"Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses , let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured [the] cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God."

4. Please can you explain the kind of "unconscious state" Enoch is: since he did not die but was translated/raptured to Paradise!
Heb 11:5:
"By faith Enoch was translated [so as] not to see death, and he was not found, because God had translated him; for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God."

Oblige me please by truthfully answering these four questions.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 8:42am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

100% correct.

That means Samuel could not have been the one who appeared to Saul and the witch.
The Spirit of Samuel was what was made manifest NOT the Corpse of Samuel

1Sam 28:7-9:
"And Saul said to his servants, Seek me a woman who is] a medium, so that I may go to her and inquire of her. And his servant said to him, Behold, [there is] a woman who is] a medium, at Endor. And Saul disguised himself and put on other clothing. And he went. And two men went with him. And they came to the woman by night. And he said, Please divine for me [calling up the dead], and bring me up the man whom I shall name to you. And the woman said to him, Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off mediums , and the spirit-knowers , out of the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?"

A medium or a spiritist does not resurrect anyone. They interact and summon up spirits (usually impassonating demons) to represent the dead person
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:09am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

The bible speaks of three kinds of death
1. Physical Death:
Mat 9:18:
"While He spoke these things to them, behold, a certain ruler came and worshiped Him, saying, My daughter has just now died. But come and lay Your hand on her and she will live."

Luk 7:12:
"And drawing near the gate of the city, even behold, one having died was being carried out, an only son of his mother, and she was a widow. And a considerable crowd of the city was with her."

Luk 8:52:
"And all were weeping and bewailing her. But He said, Do not weep; she has not died, but sleeps."

John 6:49:
"Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and died."

2. Spiritual Death:
Rom 8:6:
"For to be carnally minded [is] death, but to be spiritually minded [is] life and peace"
Genesis 2:17
But you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die.

Ephesians 2:1-3
And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else.

3. Second Death:
Rev 2:11: "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt by the second death."

Death isn't just a cessation of life but a disconnection or separation!

1. Physical Death:
Disconnection/separation of the Physical Body from the Soul and Spirit
2. Spiritual Death:
Disconnection/separation of God's Holy Spirit from Man's Spirit. We were all born spiritually dead. The Holy Spirit in us make us spiritually alive.
Don't forget that a spiritually dead person may still have an active conscience.

Gen 5:3:
"And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years and fathered [a son] in his own likeness, after his own image. And he called his name Seth."
3. Second Death:
Eternal and irrevocable disconnection/separation of God from the body, soul and spirit of a person.

Rev 20:14-15:
"And death and hell were cast into the Lake of Fire. This is the second death. And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire."

I have explained what "Sleep" connote: I guess "Second Sleep" makes sense to you in view of the second death!?

All death are the same.

Physical death is the one we are all know, the Bible aslo calls it sleep because it is temporary and there is a resurrection that fellows.

Spiritual death is not death of any soul or spirit, but it means a person not been in line with God's will and purpose.

Second death is the same thing as the physical death, both results in man losing his life, been in an unconscious state and body returning to dust.

The only little difference is that it is the total destruction of the body and life of that person which means there will be no other resurrection.

it occurs after the resurrection and will be experienced by only sinners.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:13am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

The Spirit of Samuel was what was made manifest NOT the Corpse of Samuel

1Sam 28:7-9:
"And Saul said to his servants, Seek me a woman who is] a medium, so that I may go to her and inquire of her. And his servant said to him, Behold, [there is] a woman who is] a medium, at Endor. And Saul disguised himself and put on other clothing. And he went. And two men went with him. And they came to the woman by night. And he said, Please divine for me [calling up the dead], and bring me up the man whom I shall name to you. And the woman said to him, Behold, you know what Saul has done, how he has cut off mediums , and the spirit-knowers , out of the land. Why then do you lay a snare for my life, to cause me to die?"

A medium or a spiritist does not resurrect anyone. They interact and summon up spirits (usually impassonating demons) to represent the dead person

Since the spirit returns to God, it means the witch was powerful enough to take Samuel's spirit from God's hand?

Your last quote is contradicting, since you know that they are Demons impersonating the dead why are you claiming that it was Samuel's spirit that appeared to Saul?.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:18am On Mar 18, 2020
Maximus69:

TEN commandments for all the nations but only Israelites were given!
The remaining belongs only to the Israelites alone but whoever comes to the temple for worshp must pay his tithe no matter what nation they come from, whereas TITHE is no part of the Ten commandments!

My friend continue teaching your misinformed churchgoer friends! cheesy

I can stop laughing at your explanation.
If the 10commandments were for only Israel, why is commiting Auldtery sin? or stealing,killing, lieing, dis honouring ones parents, using God's name in vain, bowing to other gods and Idol, why are all this still counted as sin by God and are recognized in almost all countries as unlawful?

Since it was meant for only Israel.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:22am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Corpse know nothing!

1. Please account for the statement of Jesus. Was that also a parable or a figurative expression. If it is, please explain

Luk 23:43: "And Jesus said to him, Truly I say to you, Today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

2. If Paradise is Heaven and the dead are not yet in paradise because they are unconscious. How come Paul was "caught up into Paradise"?

2Cor 12:4: "that he was caught up into Paradise and heard unspeakable words, which it is not allowed for a man to utter."

3. Since you claim to understand the scriptures, can you please explain who are the cloud of witnesses described in Heb12:1-2

"Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses , let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus the Author and Finisher of [our] faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured [the] cross, despising the shame, and sat down at the right of the throne of God."

4. Please can you explain the kind of "unconscious state" Enoch is: since he did not die but was translated/raptured to Paradise!
"By faith Enoch was translated [so as] not to see death, and he was not found, because God had translated him; for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God."

If the 10commandments was meant for only Israel why did God destroy Sodom and Gomarrah for sin of sexual immorality?

Why did God count Abel as a murderer more 2000yrs before Israel ever existed?

Why did God destroy or ask the Israelites to destroy other nations that worshiped false gods.

Why did God ask Jonah to warn the people of Ninevah?
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:23am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Corpse know nothing!

Christ's promise to the thief. Christ promised the thief at the
cross "'Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in
Paradise'" (Luke 23:43). Paradise obviously is synonymous with
heaven (2 Cor. 12:4; Rev. 2:7). As the translated text reads, Christ
would go to heaven that Friday to be in the very presence of God,
and so would the thief. Yet on Resurrection morning Christ Himself
said to Mary as she fell at His feet to worship Him, "Touch me not;
for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and
say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my
God, and your God" (John 20:17, KJV). That Christ remained in the
grave over the weekend is indicated by the words of the angel:
"'Come, see the place where the Lord lay'" (Matt. 28:6).
Did Christ contradict Himself? Not at all. The solution to the
understanding of the text involves its punctuation. The early
manuscripts of the Bible did not have any commas or spaces
between the words. Insertion of punctuation and word divisions can
make considerable difference in the meaning of the text. Bible
translators use their best judgment in placing punctuation marks,
but their work is certainly not inspired.
If the translators, who did such excellent work in general, had
placed the comma in Luke 23:43 after "today" instead of before it,
this passage would not contradict the teaching of the rest of the
Bible on death. Christ's words would then be properly understood to
mean: "Assuredly, I say to you today [this day, when I am dying as a
criminal], you will be with Me in Paradise." In harmony with the
Biblical teaching, Jesus assured the thief that he would be with Him
in Paradise—a promise that will be fulfilled following the
resurrection of the just at His second coming.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:24am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Corpse know nothing!

To depart and be with Christ. "For to me, to live is Christ, and to
die is gain," Paul said. "For I am hard pressed between the two,
having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far
better" (Phil. 1:21, 23). Did Paul expect to enter heaven
immediately at death?
Paul wrote much on the subject of being with Christ. In another
letter he wrote about those "who sleep in Jesus." At the Second
Advent, he said, the righteous dead will be resurrected, and
together with the living righteous they will be "caught up together. .
. to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the
Lord" (1 Thess. 4:14, 17).
Against this background we see that in his letter to the Philippians,
Paul is not giving a detailed exposition on what happens at death.
He is simply expressing his desire to leave his present troubled
existence and to be with Christ, without giving any reference or
explanation to the period of time between death and the
resurrection. His hope is centered on the promised personal
companionship with Jesus throughout eternity. For those who die
there is no long interval between the time when they close their
eyes in death and when they open them at the resurrection. Since
the dead are not conscious and so have no awareness of the
passing of time, the resurrection morning will seem to come the
moment after death. For the Christian, death is gain: no more
temptations, trials, and sorrows, and at the resurrection the gift of
a glorious immortality.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 9:24am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

Since the spirit returns to God, it means the witch was powerful enough to take Samuel's spirit from God's hand?

Your last quote is contradicting, since you know that they are Demons impersonating the dead why are you claiming that it was Samuel's spirit that appeared to Saul?.
Yes, mediums bring up impassonating demons and the woman was ready to do exactly that except that the REAL Samuel showed up. Hence, she screamed and connected the strange man with Saul the king.

Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:31am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Corpse know nothing!

No were did heb12:1-2 say that the dead are our witnessses, rather Paul was encouraging the Church to live a holy life and to have faith, just as Enoch, Abraham,Isaac, Jacob, Joseph all this were mentioned in Heb11.
all had faith in God.
Paul was saying that this great men through there victory are witnesses to God's faithfulness.

Although they are dead but their works speaks for them.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 9:34am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

All death are the same.

Physical death is the one we are all know, the Bible aslo calls it sleep because it is temporary and there is a resurrection that fellows.

Spiritual death is not death of any soul or spirit, but it means a person not been in line with God's will and purpose.

Second death is the same thing as the physical death, both results in man losing his life, been in an unconscious state and body returning to dust.

The only little difference is that it is the total destruction of the body and life of that person which means there will be no other resurrection.

it occurs after the resurrection and will be experienced by only sinners.

Check your bolded. I have NOT defined spiritual death as such.
Is this not a person who is cut off /disconnected from the spirit of God? Aren't we sealed with the Holy Spirit till the day of our redemption? Is it every human being that has the Holy Spirit in them?

Eph 1:13:
"in whom also you, hearing the word of truth, the gospel of our salvation, in whom also believing, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,"

Eph 4:30:
"And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you are sealed until [the] day of redemption."

If the destination Physical death is NOT the Lake of Fire and the destination of Second death is the Lake of Fire, don't you see that they aren't the same?
Rev 20:10:
"And the Devil who deceived them was cast into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [were]. And he will be tormented day and night forever and ever."

Notice what happens to the Devil, the Beast and the False prophet in the Lake of fire: they are TORMENTED day and night for eternity. It is not a place of unconsciousness!

Rev 20:15:
"And if anyone was not found having been written in the Book of Life, he was cast into the Lake of Fire."
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:40am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Yes, mediums bring up impassonating demons and the woman was ready to do exactly that except that the REAL Samuel showed up. Hence, she screamed and connected the strange man with Saul the king.

No were it is written that Saul ever saw Samuel.
The word saw there can be translated perceived more over even if he saw Samuel it was not the true Samuel but a demon impersonating Samuel.

Secondly God refused to speak with Saul through any medium.

So why will God now pass through a witch doctor inorder to speak to Samuel?

Remember that God dispise anything dead so much that he instructed the Israelites that anyone who touched a corpse must cleanse himself for seven days or he will be killed.

Same God forbid the Israelites from contacting spirits through any means or witch doctors.

The Bible uses the word Samuel in order to convey the message but when considered with other bible verses we can see that it was never Samuel.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 9:47am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

No were it is written that Saul ever saw Samuel.
The word saw there can be translated perceived more over even if he saw Samuel it was not the true Samuel but a demon impersonating Samuel.

Secondly God refused to speak with Saul through any medium.

So why will God now pass through a witch doctor inorder to speak to Samuel?

Remember that God dispise anything dead so much that he instructed the Israelites that anyone who touched a corpse must cleanse himself for seven days or he will be killed.

Same God forbid the Israelites from contacting spirits through any means or witch doctors.

The Bible uses the word Samuel in order to convey the message but when considered with other bible verses we can see that it was never Samuel.
Why would you rewrite the Bible to suit your doctrinal position?
The bible said:
1. Saul saw Samuel
2. Samuel spoke to Saul
3. Samuel judged Saul
There was no indication from the passage it was someone else other than Samuel.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:48am On Mar 18, 2020
Maximus69:

See mumu o! embarassed

So at last Jesus the TEACHER actually came to TEACH as part of his assignments?

Then Abimelech has qualified for God's Kingdom even without learning the rules Jesus introduced to the first century Jews!

When Moses clearly taught his people that all the laws God gave them through him will only guide them until the coming of another prophet who will teach them how to gain everlasting life! Deuteronomy 18:15-19 compare to Genesis 49:10

My friend keep teaching your misinformed churchgoer friends what you feel on Nairaland, Jesus came to fulfill the law and nobody is required to continue with what Jesus has come to teach us it's practical applications in form of principles, WE TRUE CHRISTIANS ARE NO LONGER UNDER THE MOSAIC LAWS! Galatians 3:19-25

Moreover if Abimelech lived by conscience and it was counted as righteousness for him (according to you though not found in the scriptures) then why do people need the laws instead of their conscience?

After all Abimelech never lived by Mosaic laws but BY CONSCIENCE!

Òpònú Olódo (Confused Dullard) cheesy

This is Jesus own words.
Matthew 24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

This implies that there is no other Chance for people to be taught anything other than in this lifetime.
Everyone is given the opportunity here in this life not another.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 9:49am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

No were did heb12:1-2 say that the dead are our witnessses, rather Paul was encouraging the Church to live a holy life and to have faith, just as Enoch, Abraham,Isaac, Jacob, Joseph all this were mentioned in Heb11.
all had faith in God.
Paul was saying that this great men through there victory are witnesses to God's faithfulness.

Although they are dead but their works speaks for them.
I asked the question
1. Who are the Cloud of Witnesses?
2. Why are they called witnesses
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 9:54am On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Corpse know nothing!

Jesus is our witness and not the dead saints.

Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

The Bible is clear the dead cannot bear witness of anything.

From this example we can see that it is,God and Jesus his son that bear witness for his chosen.

Hebrews 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? Hebrews 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Although Cain was dead his scrafice became a witness for him. it it was God himself that was testifying for Abel.

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

I can stop laughing at your explanation.
If the 10commandments were for only Israel, why is commiting Auldtery sin? or stealing,killing, lieing, dis honouring ones parents, using God's name in vain, bowing to other gods and Idol, why are all this still counted as sin by God and are recognized in almost all countries as unlawful?

Since it was meant for only Israel.

You said "the TEN commandments is for everyone but itself along with the remaining is what Israelites must obey"

So i asked you "if the ten commandments is for everyone, why did God give only the nation of Israel?" cheesy

Moses was asked to pass it over to "the sons of Israel" no one was asked to pass it round to other nations? cheesy
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by shadeyinka(m): 1:29pm On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

Jesus is our witness and not the dead saints.

Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

The Bible is clear the dead cannot bear witness of anything.

From this example we can see that it is,God and Jesus his son that bear witness for his chosen.

Hebrews 2:4 God also bearing them witness, both with signs and wonders, and with divers miracles, and gifts of the Holy Ghost, according to his own will? Hebrews 10:15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,

Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Although Cain was dead his scrafice became a witness for him. it it was God himself that was testifying for Abel.

1 John 5:6 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

1 John 5:10 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
You've only attempted to answer my question 3. There were four questions.

Anyways;
Heb 12:1:
"Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses , let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

Hebrews 12 is a follow-up of Hebrews 11 where the Hero's of Faith were all mentioned. By the way, the word witnesses (PLURAL) was used instead not SINGULAR. If it was singular, Jesus would have been the Cloud of Witness.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 2:42pm On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

You've only attempted to answer my question 3. There were four questions.

Anyways;
Heb 12:1:
"Therefore since we also are surrounded with so great a cloud of witnesses , let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily besets [us], and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,"

Hebrews 12 is a follow-up of Hebrews 11 where the Hero's of Faith were all mentioned. By the way, the word witnesses (PLURAL) was used instead not SINGULAR. If it was singular, Jesus would have been the Cloud of Witness.

So God and Jesus is not plural in your dictionary?
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 2:49pm On Mar 18, 2020
Maximus69:

You said "the TEN commandments is for everyone but itself along with the remaining is what Israelites must obey"

So i asked you "if the ten commandments is for everyone, why did God give only the nation of Israel?" cheesy

Moses was asked to pass it over to "the sons of Israel" no one was asked to pass it round to other nations? cheesy

Really?

The Israelites were picked by God as custodians of the law and people through which he will spread his message of Salvation.

First they were given the law and through them the knowledge of the law has been spread all over the World.

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

Isaiah 49:22 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.

Isaiah 54:3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

Isaiah 60:3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.

Isaiah 61:6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Isaiah 61:9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed.

Isaiah 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

Acts 22:21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

Acts 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,

The only law that was only for the Israelites is the mosaic law and Musical law.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 2:50pm On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:
I asked the question 1. Who are the Cloud of Witnesses? 2. Why are they called witnesses

God,Jesus, Angels.
You forget that even the Earth and land can bear witness.
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 2:57pm On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

Why would you rewrite the Bible to suit your doctrinal position?
The bible said:
1. Saul saw Samuel
2. Samuel spoke to Saul
3. Samuel judged Saul
There was no indication from the passage it was someone else other than Samuel.

Is that how you study your own Bible?

you use one small unsure verse to build your doctrine on.
What happens to God's instruct on how to understand his word.

The word of the Lord will be to them
precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
line upon line, line upon line. ( Isaiah 28:13 )

You must look at everyword of God realating to a particular issue before you form your Opinion on that matter.

To whom will he teach knowledge,
and to whom will he explain the message?
Those who are weaned from the milk,
those taken from the breast?
For it is precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
line upon line, line upon line,
here a little, there a little.
For by people of strange lips
and with a foreign tongue
the Lord will speak to this people,
to whom he has said,
“This is rest;
give rest to the weary;
and this is repose”;
yet they would not hear.
And the word of the Lord will be to them
precept upon precept, precept upon precept,
line upon line, line upon line,
here a little, there a little,
that they may go, and fall backward,
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Mar 18, 2020
blueAgent:

Really?

The Israelites were picked by God as custodians of the law and people through which he will spread his message of Salvation.

First they were given the law and through them the knowledge of the law has been spread all over the World.

Isaiah 42:1 Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles.
Isaiah 42:6 I the LORD have called thee in righteousness, and will hold thine hand, and will keep thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, for a light of the Gentiles;

Isaiah 49:6 And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth.

Isaiah 49:22 Thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I will lift up mine hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard to the people: and they shall bring thy sons in their arms, and thy daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.

Isaiah 54:3 For thou shalt break forth on the right hand and on the left; and thy seed shall inherit the Gentiles, and make the desolate cities to be inhabited.

Isaiah 60:3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.

Isaiah 61:6 But ye shall be named the Priests of the LORD: men shall call you the Ministers of our God: ye shall eat the riches of the Gentiles, and in their glory shall ye boast yourselves.

Isaiah 61:9 And their seed shall be known among the Gentiles, and their offspring among the people: all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they are the seed which the LORD hath blessed.

Isaiah 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the LORD shall name.

Acts 22:21 And he said unto me, Depart: for I will send thee far hence unto the Gentiles.

Acts 26:17 Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee,

The only law that was only for the Israelites is the mosaic law and Musical law.

And in which country is the TEN commandments at work presently? cheesy
Re: What Goes To Heaven Or Hell, Is It Body,soul Or Spirit. by blueAgent(m): 3:10pm On Mar 18, 2020
shadeyinka:
I asked the question 1. Who are the Cloud of Witnesses? 2. Why are they called witnesses

https://biblehub.com/commentaries/hebrews/12-1.htm

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (23) (Reply)

CAN Reacts To The Murder Of Evangelist Eunice Olawale / What Happens After Death? (Christian POV) / Blessed Virgin Mary Crying Out Blood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 231
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.