Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,594 members, 7,812,941 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria (74177 Views)

Benin Own Ife Bronze / University Of Aberdeen In Scotland To Return 1897 Stolen Bronze To Nigeria / Germany To Return Benin Bronze Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by SCORPION1902: 11:41am On Feb 27, 2020
I love Mexican Milfs.

Courtesy of Xvideos.. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by itsIYKE(m): 11:42am On Feb 27, 2020
Th
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Ijawwomaninoyo: 11:42am On Feb 27, 2020
Abeg, make una no take style pack Coronavirus come Nigeria, na God we take beg una o!

4 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by wetmenow: 11:42am On Feb 27, 2020
When will the Portuguese and Britain return the one they from Benin kingdom
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:43am On Feb 27, 2020
OfoIgbo:
Clearly looks Yoruba.

But there is something fishy about this..
I am not aware of any 6th century collection of Ife art works. It is much more likely to be a 16th century stuff that a sixth century work.

Also bronze work came much later. Around the 6th century, it would have been brass sculpture
the 6th century is talking about the city.

The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by donfemo(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago

What has ancient civilization done for you today?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Fr33born(m): 11:43am On Feb 27, 2020
Okay
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by SciLab: 11:46am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago

Do you have comprehension disabilities?
It was sculptured in the 6th century but was about to be smuggled into Mexico recently but was intercepted by Mexico custom officers. Read properly before beating your chest like gorilla.

Chest-beating Olodo langido! grin

4 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by SirToothBrush: 11:46am On Feb 27, 2020
BlackfireX:

Keep it there, it is more safer there than here

Probably one of slaves took it there with her .
no slave took it there
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Donaldoni: 11:47am On Feb 27, 2020
I hope unnecessarily proud Bini/Edo people see this... smiley

Bini/Edo can NEVER be as great as Yoruba!... cool

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by SciLab: 11:47am On Feb 27, 2020
Ojiofor:

There are civilizations much older than that.

Even you sef no fit read? grin
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by LemoDapo: 11:47am On Feb 27, 2020
Good it is returned home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vaptnmFHoo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by pmoye(m): 11:48am On Feb 27, 2020
Are you using your mouth to perform carbon dating experiment to determine its true date, or you will allow experts who have conclusively done the dating to have their say?

OfoIgbo:
Clearly looks Yoruba.

But there is something fishy about this..
I am not aware of any 6th century collection of Ife art works. It is much more likely to be a 16th century stuff that a sixth century work.

Also bronze work came much later. Around the 6th century, it would have been brass sculpture

4 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by oglalasioux(m): 11:48am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

Demand a refund from your math teacher.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by blowjohn(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
hisexcellency34:
How will this help grow our economy

In so many ways na.
U know how much that thing is worth? Billions!
Imagine selling it and using the money for short term loans or to revive our refinery or complete Niger bridge
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by pmoye(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
A typical myopic Nigerian.
If something doesn't immediately provide a loaf of bread with a bottle of fanta for their stomach, they find no use for it.
Shior.

AbuTwins:
What do we need all these for?

15 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by temmyseun321(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
[b][/b] grin grin is there a price tag on the sculpture... Just asking so I can locate where my grandfather lost our 5th century sculpture
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by osuofia2(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
wrong move, we have poor maintenance culture here, i know wan here say the art decay o
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Apollux(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
Lostz:

The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife,

the date is talking about the city not the sculpture
Thanks for clearing that up. And that is 6 century AD and not BC. And that is about right for the period Oduduwa fled the middle east to survive the persecution from the spread of Islam. There is a possibility that this was among the things he took with him when he fled middle east. Or could be something he taught the yoruba people to make when he settled in Ile Ife. The timing is right for such speculations . Besides to our missinformed man, that is just around 1400 years ago.

2 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by y3mi(m): 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
Could you pls STFU, how did the same uxeless oni who took the crown of Royalty into a cathedral came about that information, I bet you have no idea. To school you, that knowledge is gleaned from an ancient system of esoteric knowlegde that encomapes all information under the sun, my question to you is...what's it called? Clue, ignorant people like you tend to identify it only by its oracular function.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by barragan: 11:50am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

It didn't leave in the 6th century. Read it again.

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:53am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

oga read properly, It was created in the 6th century, it did not leave in the sixth century. I t was seized recently by Mexican customs while trying to bring in to mexico. How is 6th century 2000 years ago?

English problem, Maths problem!!!

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Judybash93(m): 11:53am On Feb 27, 2020
tartar9:
I've never read of anytime an artifact was returned or asked to be returned to the South East.
Our white exploiters through the ages couldn't find anything worth stealing there.

Have you heard of the igbo-ukwu art collection? Dope stuff, you should check em out.

3 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:54am On Feb 27, 2020
cRobo:
It will be re-looted

Exactly my thoughts
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:58am On Feb 27, 2020
His head cap is a replica of the current Ooni's crown. I've been wondering where he got that nice design from. Now I know
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:58am On Feb 27, 2020
Lol.. Dustbin. What of all the gold the mined and stole from us
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by adelaja70(m): 11:58am On Feb 27, 2020
y3mi:
Could you pls STFU, how did the same uxeless oni who took the crown of Royalty into a cathedral came about that information, I bet you have no idea. To school you, that knowledge is gleaned from an ancient system of esoteric knowlegde that encomapes all information under the sun, my question to you is...what's it called? Clue, ignorant people like you tend to identify it only by its oracular function.
I've come to realise it's only foolish people that raise their point with insults...

6 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 11:59am On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
. 1840 years ago
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Sundaycomputer: 11:59am On Feb 27, 2020
Of what use Will it be
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by AbuTwins: 11:59am On Feb 27, 2020
pmoye:
A typical myopic Nigerian.
If something doesn't immediately provide a loaf of bread with a bottle of fanta for their stomach, they find no use for it.
Shior.

What do we need statues and graven images for?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by FemiMaduka(m): 12:00pm On Feb 27, 2020
tartar9:
I've never read of anytime an artifact was returned or asked to be returned to the South East.
Our white exploiters through the ages couldn't find anything worth stealing there.

You and everybody that gave you a like are idiots. You obviously have never read about the famed Igbo-ukwu artwork and civilization; just like the Nok, Benin and Ife. Bloody nonentity.

P.S.: I didn't insult you really. You made a buffoon of yourself and the folks that liked your post bought into it.

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola: Jennifer Obayuwana Gives Shout Out To Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? / Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.