Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,814 members, 7,813,682 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:14 PM

Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria (74192 Views)

Benin Own Ife Bronze / University Of Aberdeen In Scotland To Return 1897 Stolen Bronze To Nigeria / Germany To Return Benin Bronze Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by 0m0nnakoda: 2:33pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lostz:
the writer is trying to tell you that Ife was founded around the 6th century.

The Mexican government delivered to Nigeria on Tuesday an ancient bronze sculpture seized by customs agents at Mexico City airport as its buyer tried to bring it into this country.

was there even anything call Mexico in the 6th century? to talk of airport? custom ?
Mexico first airport was in 1915 according to Wikipedia ?

that simple phrase there you cannot understand
Guy we are discussing One sentence
There is no rational way of inferring that the writer is talking about origin of Ife from the sentence

The sentence is clear
The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife

It is Not about Ife but the sculpture
There may be sculptures from much earlier or later than the 6th century. The sentence does not comment or express any opinion on that.

The dating just tells us the AGE. It might have been a hut or skeleton in that sentence,

Association with 1900 Ife does not imply Ife did not exist in 1800

You ask if Mexico existed in the 6th century? How is that relevant? Can you actually read and comprehend?

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by geosegun(m): 2:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
GreenRose22:

I give up on you!

Then, you my be making a very big mistake.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by BanevsJoker(m): 2:40pm On Feb 27, 2020
NinjaMetahuman:
nope

501 AD
I don hear am today. Make una no vex oh. Error ni.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:46pm On Feb 27, 2020
baby124:

Yoruba taught Benin to forge Bronze. Oldest sculptures ... have you heard of the Esie sculpture? Igbo Ukwu too..

I know about Igbo Ukwu, not really Esie. However, Im referring to the most prized works from here on the legal and black market. As well as those displayed in museums. And I said 'medieval', not 'prehistoric', hence not arguing about who did it first or not. Dont know that much to comment on it.

However, Nok is 2500 years old and I know for sure none of the other famed civilizations in our area is as old or referenced as they are. The cultural groups we have now didn't even exist then.
Nok and Djenne (Mali) etc are in their own class when it comes to age and provenance in sub saharan Africa.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by baby124: 2:49pm On Feb 27, 2020
Dasuks:

Im referring to the most prized works from here on the legal and black market. As well as those displayed in museums. And I said 'medieval', not 'prehistoric', hence not arguing about who did it first or not. Dont know that much to comment on it.

However, Nok is 2500 years old and I know for sure none of the other famed civilizations in our area is as old or referenced as they are. Nok and Djenne (Mali) etc are in their own class when it comes to age and provenance in sub saharan Africa.
Because they have not found older sculptures does not mean there is none. History is an ongoing process and effort. This world is older than we know and we of recent have only begun to seriously document history.

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by rabzy: 2:53pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago

Oga it didn't leave ife 2000 years ago, ife bronze work are 15th to 17th works and this particularl sculpture was recently bought and the person wanted to smuggle it into Mexico but was impounded at the airport
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

There is no rational way of inferring that the writer is talking about origin of Ife from the sentence

The sentence is clear

There may be sculptures from much earlier or later than the 6th century. The sentence does not comment or express any opinion on that.

The dating just tells us the AGE. It might have been a hut or skeleton in that sentence,

You ask if Mexico existed in the 6th century? How is that relevant? Can you actually read and comprehend?

Ife’s origins can be traced as far back as the sixth century.
that is what the writer is trying to tell you...do I need to tell you your own Yoruba history?

bronze sculptures came up later than the 6th century. the earliest art sculptures from Ife are dated around 12 to 16 century
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:05pm On Feb 27, 2020
geosegun:

Then, you my be making a very big mistake.

grin

Maybe, maybe not.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by 0m0nnakoda: 3:11pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lostz:

Ife’s origins can be traced as far back as the sixth century.
that is what the writer is trying to tell you...do I need to tell you your own Yoruba history?

bronze sculptures came up later than the 6th century. the earliest art sculptures from Ife are dated around 12 to 16 century
Yoruba history is that Life started in Ife.
What brought us together on this thread is not history but your embarrassing claim about grammar/English which is just wrong. Admit that move on and stop changing the subject.
I am talking about the meaning of that sentence not your bizarre interpretation

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:19pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Yoruba history is that Life started in Ife.
What brought us together on this thread is not history but your embarrassing claim about grammar/English which is just wrong. Admit that move on and stop changing the subject.
I am talking about the meaning of that sentence not your bizarre interpretation

The sculpture from the 6th century, came from the southwestern Yoruba city of Ife.

this is how you write it... if you are talking about the date it was sculptured.

I am not changing the subject. I brought in history to try and help you understand the writer point
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Guestlander: 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
haywire07:
I'm sure this is not Ori olokun, the bronze head on Obafemi Awolowo University.

The real ori-olokun is somewhere in the UK museum and only a few lover of sculptures have set their eyes on it. One of those few is the Nobel Laurette, Prof. Wole Soyinka.

Did anyone call it ori olokun? The only similarity between the two is the headdress.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by 0m0nnakoda: 3:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lostz:

The sculpture from the 6th century, came from the southwestern Yoruba city of Ife.

this is how you write it... if you are talking about the date it was sculptured.

I am not changing the subject. I brought in history to try and help you understand the writer point

Good my point is the SUBJECT of that sentence you reproduced is The Sculpture whilst you contend it is Ife.

That is my issue.

That sentence is about The sculpture not Ife

The subject of a sentence is the noun that controls the verb
E.g

The sculpture returned to Ife
Or

I am teaching you grammar

smiley

I am the subject
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by kamossreal(m): 3:30pm On Feb 27, 2020
But the sculpture is talking about the city....
Lostz:

The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife,

the date is talking about the city not the sculpture
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by OfoIgbo: 3:32pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

I am sorry you are talking complete nonsense when you say you know there is no Ife art collection from the 6th century

Define " collection" what does that mean and how do you know?

Show me any archeological book or website where Ife BRONZE artworks of the 6th century are displayed.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Good my point is the SUBJECT of that sentence you reproduced is The Sculpture whilst you contend it is Ife.

That is my issue.

That sentence is about The sculpture not Ife
The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife, shows a man wearing woven pants and a hat, sitting with his legs crossed and holding an instrument.

my point is the "6th century southwestern Yoruba city" there was to describe/characterize Ife not the date it was sculptured.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by 0m0nnakoda: 3:35pm On Feb 27, 2020
OfoIgbo:

Show me any archeological book or website where Ife BRONZE artworks of the 6th century are displayed.
don't change the subject
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 3:37pm On Feb 27, 2020
kamossreal:
But the sculpture is talking about the city....
I didn't get your point
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by oodua1stson: 3:43pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago
I'm Yoruba but you seriously need to shut up. Each tribe has it's own invention and innovation. It's arrogant, rude and ignorant to call a certain place the cradle of civilization.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by 0m0nnakoda: 3:49pm On Feb 27, 2020
Lostz:

The sculpture, from the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife, shows a man wearing woven pants and a hat, sitting with his legs crossed and holding an instrument.

my point is the "6th century southwestern Yoruba city" there was to describe/characterize Ife not the date it was sculptured.

Sorry sir you are talking nonsense.
That sentence was about the sculpture not Ife,subordinate phrases cannot change that.
The sculpture is an antiquity and the sentence serves the purpose of providing provenance information I.e place of origin ,dates of origin etc.
Somehow you deduce that sentence is saying Life begin in life in the 6th century
It is shocking how badly educated and ignorant folk are so proud of it and flaunt it shamelessly
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by osadav(m): 4:02pm On Feb 27, 2020
They just showed a sculpture and we're rejoicing, tell them to return everything (including resources) that was stylishly taken from us.

When you know it was our sculpture, why keeping it all this years?

We want to know who took it over to your country, we will even arrest the grave bcs we dey vex

We need structures in this country and watch me when we become a great Nation

But we don't want the likes of Politicians we have in this country.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Dartilo(m): 4:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
If e nr b Benin artwork, every other art work na counterfeit
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by klax(m): 4:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
OfoIgbo:

I can assure you that that artwork is not a 6th century artwork. They probably wanted to write 16th century which is the 1500s.

Otherwise, there should be a collection of 6th century Ife bronze work in existence.

The oldest of such intricate works outside the Nok artworks, were excavated in Igbo Ukwu, attributable to the Nris. They pre-date the Benin and Ife artworks by several centuries grin grin grin

Ok I have heard you. Thanks
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Sorry sir you are talking nonsense.
That sentence was about the sculpture not Ife,subordinate phrases cannot change that.
The sculpture is an antiquity and the sentence serves the purpose of providing provenance information I.e place of origin ,dates of origin etc.
Somehow you deduce that sentence is saying Life begin in Ife in the 6th century
It is shocking how badly educated and ignorant folk are so proud of it and flaunt it shamelessly

The sculpture, from [/b]the 6th century southwestern Yoruba city of Ife[b], shows a man wearing woven pants and a hat, sitting with his legs crossed and holding an instrument.

Ife has always been said to be founded around the 6th century.... that is what the writer is trying to say.

secondly, there is no Ife art dated earlier than 12 to 15 century.... the writer could not be talking about the sculpture date.

what we have there is place of origin (described) and form of the sculpture
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by seunmsg(m): 4:13pm On Feb 27, 2020
Britain should do the same by returning the sculptures looted from Benin and Ife.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by geosegun(m): 4:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
GreenRose22:

grin

Maybe, maybe not.

Oh! nice response. I think you are intelligent. Sent you a message.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 4:30pm On Feb 27, 2020
geosegun:

Oh! nice response. I think you are intelligent. Sent you a message.
I know but you won't get any response.

Have a nice day
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by MetaPhysical: 4:38pm On Feb 27, 2020
May Allah bless Yoruba people. Una too much! grin

In my reincarnation may Oduduwa accept me back as Yoruba.

I am ndibo, but I love Yoruba people. grin grin. They are too much abeg!

Cc
Legendhero
Osuamaka
Immhotep
Lzaa

2 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by MetaPhysical: 4:42pm On Feb 27, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

The sentence is clear

God bless you!
May Oduduwa reward your efforts with fruitfullness!

Even though I am Ibo, I love this message. cool

Chineke gozie gi!

2 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by LegendHero(m): 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2020
MetaPhysical:
May Allah bless Yoruba people. Una too much! grin

In my reincarnation may Oduduwa accept me back as Yoruba.

I am ndibo, but I love Yoruba people. grin grin. They are too much abeg!

Cc
Legendhero
Osuamaka
Immhotep
Lzaa

Oh I am Ndibo Muslim too, but in my next life I want to come back as a Yoruba.

May Allah bless all the Yoruba people (Muslims, Christians, Traditionalists, and Atheists).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola: Jennifer Obayuwana Gives Shout Out To Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? / Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.