Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,379 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? (74391 Views)

The Mystery Behind Sugar, Salt And One Part Of Your Body / Natural Dreadlocks Popularly Called Dada-What Is The Mystery Behind It? / The Mystery Behind The Name Daodu/dawodu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by informationNaija: 1:37pm On Apr 15, 2020
Any mystery behind dreadlocks(dada), is it a natural gift, superstition or is it spiritual. Let's discuss.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 1:50pm On Apr 15, 2020
Few hours back I was pondering within me about this same "dreadlocks" well my take is dreadlocks has been hijacked, Samson was a frontliner as regards dreadlocks but that was God ordained however today the Marine kingdom and their subsidiaries (using the name of church) have hijacked dreadlocks.

112 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by SKhanmi: 2:11pm On Apr 15, 2020
MistarT:
Few hours back I was pondering within me about this same "dreadlocks" well my take is dreadlocks has been hijacked, Samson was a frontliner as regards dreadlocks but that was God ordained however today the Marine kingdom and their subsidiaries (using the name of church) have hijacked dreadlocks.

How? Can you explain better? And how about those that have it naturally as kids?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 3:30pm On Apr 15, 2020
SKhanmi:

How? Can you explain better? And how about those that have it naturally as kids?
The best and surest adviser is the Holy Spirit, however with little knowledge about dreadlocks, there's a comma somewhere, if you have a child with dreads, prayerfully cut it, that is why most believers cut their children's hair before dedication, the words I write are not comprehendable with a carnal mind, they're spiritually discerned. God bless you.

105 Likes 6 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by SKhanmi: 8:15pm On Apr 15, 2020
Would have loved to reply the poster above but looking through his statements again ,one can hear the uninformed religious society speaking as usual, coupled with his escape clause about carnal minds not being able to comprehend. Smh.

To others reading this, Man is not just a PHYSICAL BEING of meat & bone. He has other bodies, up to 7 to the best of my knowledge, now the black man is more naturally attuned to the spiritual realm than the other races and as such possess different gifts that other races have to train hard to get. The white garment churches know the usefulness of that type of hair even if they eventually chose to pervert it for their own uses. Ever wondered why Moses, Elijah & most prophets are portrayed with very long beards & long hair? It is based on the same premise. Find that out and you'll get your answer. The black man's bane is ignorance, preferring to ignore his soul, his roots & identity for a pseudo one and then turn around to blame the world for treating him like turd. Knowledge is really power & the black man unfortunately is not ready to learn anytime soon.

234 Likes 24 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 8:26pm On Apr 15, 2020
Okay, Good to know, u earlier asked a question, only for you to come and say otherwise. Dreadlocks is not a fruit of the Spirit. If you know the TRUTH. He (Jesus) will set you free, you see unless the Light shines darkness will forever rule, unless the world acknowledges Jesus as Messiah, the whole world will be on one chance, I de tell you.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
Information alone cannot transform a man, only God's word, His Spirit and personal determination can, science and technology cannot, you can't ignore Jesus and make any genuine progress in this world, if only education can transform, then professors will not demand for sex from undergraduates, there's something higher than man in this life, I tell you. JESUS IS THE ANSWER!!! and from now on the world will have to bow to His lordship for the world's good.

60 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Harllaby: 3:43pm On Apr 18, 2020
It pises me off when I see the way some fellows thinks. Some just dish out comment like a programmed robot being controlled by religion indoctrination.
Op, the bias is deeply rooted in traditional religious beliefs and myths, especially in this part of Nigeria. Often times, people with dada are tagged negatively in likes of mentally challenged person, Yahoo guys, mad person.

These superstitions and beliefs ignite fear and portraited evil in the society which have been deeply entrenched into people's mind and certain religious group renforced the belief among their followers. Only certain people who questioned their culture and belief become emancipated from their culture and religion dogma.

So if you like dada hairstyle, feel free to go make one for yourself. Dreadlock is the style name. Basket mouth, Olamide, Rema, Flavor, formal Psquare, Zlanta once rock the hairstyles and some are still rocking it. No spirituality, no cause, no negativity, it just vibe, trend and lifestyle

174 Likes 15 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Harllaby: 4:23pm On Apr 18, 2020
Capslocked, hakeem12, Righteousness86, virginboy1, evilforest call other to contribute, Donnie

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by CAPSLOCKED: 4:31pm On Apr 18, 2020
BY NATURE OF OUR RACE, DADA IS THE NATURAL FORM OF OUR HAIRS IF WE LET IT GROW FROM THE ROOTS WITHOUT COMBING OR TOUCHING IT.

THIS IS WHY YOU SEE MANY MADMEN AND PRISONERS WITH DREADS. IT HAS NOW BECOME FASHION, AS EUROPEANS AND AMERICANS PAY MONEY TO HAVE WHAT WE HAVE NATURALLY. IT'S THE SAME WAY OUR WOMEN PAY MONEY TO HAVE THEIR HAIRS LOOKING LIKE THAT OF EUROPEAN WOMEN.

HOWEVER, I EXPECT US TO ASCRIBE IT TO MARINE SPIRITS AND WITCHES BECAUSE WE'RE STUPĮDLY SUPERSTITIOUS IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD.

341 Likes 40 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 1:40am On Apr 19, 2020
If any human (of any race or nationality) acquires only human wisdom and neglects the wisdom of God (JESUS) that individual is living a wasted life no matter the achievements so far (Matthew 16:26).

15 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MistarT(m): 1:56am On Apr 19, 2020
Man is full of pride (the natural man) so his eyes has been blinded, his heart hardened so that he would not see nor understand with his heart and become coverted to get (his soul) healed - John 12:40. I know that the world is an enemy of GOD (John 15:19) but that was not so from the beginning in fact GOD gave the world His son Jesus (John 3:16) to save mankind, you know something no matter the sensual gratification, there is still that void that only GOD can fill and that can only come through intimacy with the Holy Spirit. There is no salvation anywhere else only in JESUS- Acts 4:12. The world and everyone in it belongs to GOD-Psalm 24:1.

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Prodigee: 12:09pm On May 14, 2020
There is nothing much to it. Some see it as spiritual, while some see it as just a fashion style

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by jericco1(m): 12:09pm On May 14, 2020
In Ogun, almost every household have that one kid that's fully locked from birth.. it's annoying because the kids look unkempt due to the fact that the locks is not properly taken care of.. I think they attach spirituality to the stuff.. undecided undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by DriggityDre: 12:09pm On May 14, 2020
Hmm... Bob Marley comes to mind.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Olarewaju89: 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
All na religions believe. There is no where in the Bible that you will find Dada, yes no where.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by GodPunishBiafra: 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
IT IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!

IT IS DIRTY!

I HAVE COLLECTED MORE THAN 100 SAMPLES OF THE NONSENSE DADA FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE FROM ALL WORKS OF LIFE TO ANALYZE.

(The so-called natural ones)

WHAT I USUALLY FIND ESPECIALLY UNDER THE MICROSCOPE IS RUBBISH!!!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by overseer1(m): 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
It's part of the Choices we make in life.
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Tonymegabush1(m): 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
A lot has been said as regards it
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by MISTAICEY02288(m): 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
Hmmm oh well from my own little understanding, Dada is a natural hair that comes with some children. When I was younger, I heard pretty much stuffs about those who are born with such hair type that they are mostly special and blessed beings. I even heard that if a person with this hairstyle attends a white garment church and later decides to cut off the hair, some sorts of rituals must be performed. I heard they usually make use of animals like goat, ram etc to be killed. I had a friend in secondary school then who was on a fine low cut. The day he told me he was born a Dada, I never believed him at all cos I had always known him with low cut. Then one day, I went to their house and he brought out their old photo album and low n behold, he was actually on a very thick and long dreadlocks (Dada) when he was younger. So he also confirmed the white garment church stuff to me...

There are also artificial (Man made) dreadlocks nowadays. People make dreadlocks at Salons grin

13 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Perfecttouchade: 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
Nice topic...Dada awuru , Dem too dey stubborn

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Kaymaxi2222(m): 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
Well i don't know much about the spiritual aspect of it. But one thing i know for sure is that there anger is out of this world. Have a cousin who has one if the boy is angry like this eheeeee you will be surprised.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Sultty(m): 12:10pm On May 14, 2020
I love em' but it is spiritual and not hereditary. This thing dey scatter homes at times, seen a husband accuse his wife of infidelity saying it's not in his family line

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by gambia(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2020
There is no any mystery behind it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by xreal: 12:11pm On May 14, 2020
Sometimes, it comes naturally(ask Yorubas' about 'Dada').

Aside the above, it is spiritually inclined.

However, if hair is not combed and barbed for a long period, it locks, and forms what we know as dreadlocks.

today makes it 39 years and 3 days Bob Marley left this world.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by pansophist(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2020
Dada (dreadlocks) is the natural way afro hair locks without artificial interference. There is no superstition attached to it. If it is done clean and maintained, it looks beautiful to the carrier, as it adds a kind of sophistication to the face.

Dada is beautiful.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by Olalekanbanky1(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2020
shocked
Re: What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? by ybalogs(m): 12:11pm On May 14, 2020
I'm interested in unraveling the mystery as well.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano / We Summoned The Spirit Of Ooni Aderemi From His Tomb - Ooni Of Ife / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.