Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,728 members, 7,813,404 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:54 AM

Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria (74181 Views)

Benin Own Ife Bronze / University Of Aberdeen In Scotland To Return 1897 Stolen Bronze To Nigeria / Germany To Return Benin Bronze Back To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
Sundaycomputer:
Of what use Will it be
. That thing is worth millions of $$$
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by FutureIG: 12:01pm On Feb 27, 2020
They returned it because it was giving them problems.

2 Likes

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by klax(m): 12:03pm On Feb 27, 2020
OfoIgbo:
Clearly looks Yoruba.

But there is something fishy about this..
I am not aware of any 6th century collection of Ife art works. It is much more likely to be a 16th century stuff that a sixth century work.

Also bronze work came much later. Around the 6th century, it would have been brass sculpture

And you were born then bah? Or just reading those colonial bulls**t history book that hidden all thruth and gave us oackaging craps?

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by y3mi(m): 12:05pm On Feb 27, 2020
pmoye:
Are you using your mouth to perform carbon dating experiment to determine its true date, or you will allow experts who have conclusively done the dating to have their say?
Why feed the troll the attention he feeds on, btw would you agree even if the artefact is carbon dated with accuracy, it's proves the civilization who casted it would be far more older, thereby predating many civilizations officialdom has touted as great, crazy thing is, the descendants of the great people of that age, today believe in the Abrahamic idol god, believing their forebearers never knew had to cloth themselves until the Europeans taught them as the move about naked with leaves covering their private area. What do you say to all these.

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by pmoye(m): 12:08pm On Feb 27, 2020
Ask your dad.

AbuTwins:

What do we need statues and graven images for?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by holalekan22(m): 12:08pm On Feb 27, 2020
sotall:

You want to shake table abi undecided

Like seriously... Who cares? embarassed
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by holalekan22(m): 12:09pm On Feb 27, 2020
FutureIG:
They returned it because it was giving them problems.

Long Live with ur comment

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Ojiofor: 12:10pm On Feb 27, 2020
SciLab:

Even you sef no fit read? grin

Na wetin I read and understand na'm me I reply o.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by BanevsJoker(m): 12:10pm On Feb 27, 2020
OfoIgbo:
Clearly looks Yoruba.

But there is something fishy about this..
I am not aware of any 6th century collection of Ife art works. It is much more likely to be a 16th century stuff that a sixth century work.

Also bronze work came much later. Around the 6th century, it would have been brass sculpture
6th Century AD refers to the 1500s.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by BlueAir: 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2020
This is d kinda country we need as foreign ally ..forget mexico is under resourced but their respect for soveriegnty is enough to create trade deals and investment offers not like some so acclaimed world powers and colonial masters that can do shiit without asking ransom or displaying supremacy
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by deltateam: 12:14pm On Feb 27, 2020
GOFRONT:
When will they return Abacha loot??

Can you account for the ones that have been returned?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by deltateam: 12:15pm On Feb 27, 2020
BanevsJoker:

6th Century AD refers to the 1500s.

No.

1500s is 16th century.

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by AbuTwins: 12:16pm On Feb 27, 2020
pmoye:
Ask your dad.

Do you have a dad? One you respect?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:17pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago
It wasn't stated in the article that the sculpture was seized in the 6th century. It was only stated that the sculpture is a 6th century sculpture.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Born2Breed(f): 12:18pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:
When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago

That's not when it left but how old its presumed to be.

Most of these artifacts are being secretly stolen by some chiefs or princes even some kings from palaces and shrine then sold to foreigners.

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by SEGLIZ: 12:19pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

did you comprehend before typing?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by y3mi(m): 12:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
adelaja70:

I've come to realise it's only foolish people that raise their point with insults...
Oh really o defender of son of devil, and why does it have to take that long, and my post for you to come upon that realisation?

Are you aware a lot of half baked nincompoops, in their attempt to appear knowledgeables on this forum spew trash which are considered insult to the intellects of those who actually know.

So once in a while it isn't an unjust thing to do getting back at one out of the many thousands of them miseducating others on this dying platform.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by cejaypriesty(m): 12:21pm On Feb 27, 2020
Judybash93:

Have you heard of the igbo-ukwu art collection. Dope stuff, you should check em out.
Why are wasting your time quoting little children .igbo-Ukwu artefacts are beautiful work of arts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by pmoye(m): 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2020
Yes, I do. And he did a good job training me that there's more to life than a loaf of bread and bottle of fanta.

Unfortunately you either didn't have a dad growing up, or you didn't listen to good training, or... Let's stop there.

By the way, how old are you? I hate to be exchanging words with a boy that hasn't been weaned from momma's breasts. That probably explains why you failed to see or understand the significance of cultural heritage.

Now, go suckle some more. Peace out.

AbuTwins:

Do you have a dad? One you respect?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

The ancient Romans and Greeks where building bridges, walled cites and massive stone and bronze statues 3000 years before the 6th Century. Stop listing to the Ooni. go and read.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by geosegun(m): 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2020
AbuTwins:

What do we need statues and graven images for?

What do you use the numerous pictures on your phone for? Please remind me again?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Kingrefreshed: 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2020
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by ChiefAfonja: 12:22pm On Feb 27, 2020
This is Afonja himself

He must have been disturbing them grin
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by MoIbrahim: 12:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
Imagine where we were even as at 2,000 years ago. Now some morons arrested our development through stealing and mismanagement and want us to keep blaming oyinbos

1 Like

Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by XXLmatter: 12:23pm On Feb 27, 2020
[quote author=SonofDevil post=86990863]When ooni said ife was the cradle of world civilization people never believed.this sculpture left in the 6 century now we re in 21st century meaning it left ife almost 2000 years ago[/quote

So you are saying the Mexicans were in Nigeria 2000 years ago? � Factory reset
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2020
SonofDevil:

Roughly 1500 years. Very impressive. But what do u mean by cradle of the world ?

Nobody south of the sahara and even Western Europe (until recently) can claim to ever at any time be the cradle of the world. Trade, tech devt and military advancement networks never coalesced here. We 'd be talking about ppl bordering the Mediterranean, Mesopotamia or the Fertile Crescent.

I think you might mean Mesopotamia where agriculture was developed, urban settlements erected and strict govt administration enforced as early as 6000 years ago....
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by AbuTwins: 12:27pm On Feb 27, 2020
geosegun:

What do you use the numerous pictures on your phone for? Please remind me again?

I don't snap pictures except when necessary. The pictures on my phone are people involved in a training!

So what do we need statues and graven images for?
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:27pm On Feb 27, 2020
tartar9:
I've never read of anytime an artifact was returned or asked to be returned to the South East.
Our white exploiters through the ages couldn't find anything worth stealing there.

Dont get too excited the most prized artifacts from Naija are either medieval Benin bronze works or 2500 year old Nok works.

This is impressive nonetheless. Dont just get carried away.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by masseratti: 12:28pm On Feb 27, 2020
But why am I thinking this sculpture is relatively modern? Less than 100 years old. Am Yoruba by the way, but this sculpture does not add up.
Re: Mexico Returns Ancient Yoruba Bronze Sculpture To Nigeria by geosegun(m): 12:30pm On Feb 27, 2020
GreenRose22:

The ancient Romans and Greeks where building bridges, walled cites and massive stone and bronze statues 3000 years before the 6th Century. Stop listing to the Ooni. go and read.

Your assertions were quite wrong. You should also go and re-read prehistoric histories again? During this Period (3,000 yrs ago)? Only the Egyptians have developed similar and related worthy civilizations and most are blacks and mixed races. Roman's were savages during this period.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Olori Wuraola: Jennifer Obayuwana Gives Shout Out To Ooni Of Ife's New Wife / What Is The Mystery Behind Dreadlocks 'Dada'? / Emir Sanusi Returns From London, Welcomed In Style As He Arrives Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.