Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers (41193 Views)

Cash-Strapped Ghana Hits MTN With N350-Billion Tax Bill, MTN Disputes (PICS) / Call For 60minute On Mtn With 100 Naira / Get 2.5gb On MTN With Just 1000 Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 12:41am On Mar 02, 2020
ShenTeh:
Number (MSISDN) recycling is international best practice. No need calling out MTN, other telcos or NCC. It not only betrays our Ignorance but shows our poor grasp of the products we are using.

The lifespan of your MSISDN ownership is dependent on your recharge history. For most networks, the number of times you recharge (not denomination, just number of times) extends the validity of your ownership by 90 days. When this validity period expires, your line becomes inactive, upon which when you recharge you get 90 days, etc. This way people can get lifetime validity.

When you do not recharge in this inactive status, the line becomes deactivated 90 days from the inactive status date. A deactivated line can still be redeemed from your network provider with some basic requirements. It remains in this state for another 90 days. When you make no effort to redeem the deactivated SIM and tge 90 days elapse, the MSISDN (your number) is recycled and you forfeit ownership.

Fair enough. Otherwise telcos will just be selling numbers to claim largest subscriber base without bothering on quality and customer retention.
I agree with you on this one.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 12:41am On Mar 02, 2020
vandertommy:
it's actually a directive from NCC to block or recycle lines that have been dormant for more than 6 months. So NCC is actually to be bamed for all these
Wooowww.!!
Only 6 months??
That's too short.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Abdul090(m): 12:42am On Mar 02, 2020
Are You A First-time Cell Phone Buyer? Check This Pro Tips.

Here are some personal tips to help us choose our Best Next smartphones to buy.

Buying a mobile phone is an easy task for some and a difficult one for others. Mobile is an essential part of our daily lives and is just as necessary and useful. So our selection should be based on some criteria so that we will not regret it later.

1) Simple Use
When we say simply to use we mean 'simply to use'. This means making phone calls, messaging, simple internet browsing, and checking e-mails.
Clearly, with this phone you can't use apps like Viber or expect miracles from GPS or take awesome photos or the phone won't hang.

2) Professional Use
Professional use means that we have a device that will be part of our business. In addition to using it as a phone, we can create files, create presentations, create drawings, mock-ups and go by saying as well as pretty good GPS.

Things To Look While Buying a Smartphone.

- How much money do I need or Required?
- Which brand should I choose?
- Which functional one to choose?

Read full Guide at [url]Techboke.com[/url] or Directly at https://www.techboke.com/2020/02/Best-smart-phones-to-buy.html

Surely This Guide will help you out to choose your next smartphone.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 12:45am On Mar 02, 2020
zoedew:
The smart will look through the T&C of MTN and sue as appropriate.
You can only sue if the line is within the grace period of between 90 to 180 days

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 12:50am On Mar 02, 2020
edoairways:

decatalyst is right on this one. Majority of Nigerians don't read instructions on the products or service they buy. Secondly the regulatory commission are helping matters, rather they charge huge amount to issue new number series. The service providers had no choice than to re issue old lines since it cost more to get new number series (0803,0806, etc).
And now, we are not finding any of it funny any longer..
Recycling may be a standard international practice,, but it is really posing great problems to the Nigerian Users.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by dingbang(m): 12:54am On Mar 02, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Nothing bad in recycling numbers..as long as you dont commit fraud with it
you really dont understand the writeup and the harm the recycling has done to people especially in terms of financial risks.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 12:58am On Mar 02, 2020
Morikaih:

thanks for the write up Bro..

The problem here is our Old cargo and primitive ones called NCC , they have messed up this country hence MTN can take advantage

A nation of 200Mil without database has the power to reassign subscriber identification number without any consultation either from criminal dept or society..

NCC is a disgrace and full of old fools that are in the system without basic Technology know how..

Hmmm.
There is trouble.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 1:01am On Mar 02, 2020
valiju:
I bought a new SIM card some months ago I wanted to top up airtime for internet data ,so I dial GTB ussd code from my sim 2 instead of my sim 1 .
To my greatest suprise the transaction was successful and I ended up buy airtime from the previous owner of the new line I recently bought, I have to visit GTB to deactivate the line from that account
Maybe, Nigeria is not yet ready for all the lots of products and services which they are making available to the vulnerable Nigerians.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 1:03am On Mar 02, 2020
musicwriter:

For all the countries I've been, there's no difference between the way MTN recycle inactive phone lines in Nigeria and the way its done elsewhere. As a matter of fact, Nigeria is not the only country where MTN does business. I am on a business trip outside Nigeria as I write, and I have two MTN lines right now previously owned my a native here. And yes, I received his/her bank alert few days ago but which I quickly deleted.

Every GSM company every place I know, recycle inactive numbers. Its not only done in Nigeria.

Is Buhari's daughter the only person in Nigeria who've ever dumped a phone line before? How about millions of other Nigerians who have used several phone lines in the past but which now belong to someone else?

The problem is not MTN but because you're ruled by a tyrant who can imprison you up for 10 weeks because you innocently purchased a phone line previously used by his daughter. When a country has a bad leader, the people live in fear. You jailed someone because he bought a phone line formerly used by your daughter?!!. I just can't get my head around this. This type of news is unheard of even in North Korea.
Let the courts decide that one.. Even though we don't trust them either.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 1:05am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
And now, we are not finding any of it funny any longer..
Recycling may be an standard international practice,, but it is really posing great problems to the Nigerian Users.
Ignorance and poor education of Nigerians by the regulatory commission is the root cause of this menace. They just have to come up with something reasonable to resolve the issue raised by op
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 1:13am On Mar 02, 2020
edoairways:

Ignorance and poor education of Nigerians by the regulatory commission is the root cause of this menace. They just have to come up with something reasonable to resolve the issue raised by op
Thank you for understanding the direction I am coming from.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 1:15am On Mar 02, 2020
ImaIma1:
That's how one guy kept loading airtime from an elderly man's pension account because of this same line recycling. He loaded almost 20k airtime over a period of time
Who do we blame here??
Meanwhile, if DSS gets at that your guy, he is going in for it ooo.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:

It is possible that your lines were not actually cloned.
May, they were recycled..
Have you investigated properly??
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Nobody: 1:47am On Mar 02, 2020
Ay04z:
Seconded, first page material unless lalasticlala is one one of grin mtn staff
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Mycommand: 2:40am On Mar 02, 2020
I left a balance of about N5,000 on my two MTN telephone lines, before I traveled outside Nigeria and when I was ready to return home for my yearly visits, I tried to use my phone but the calls didn't go through. I called the two lines from my landline overseas too and someone answered in Nigeria! On getting to Nigeria, I went to one of their offices and was told that both telephone lines have been blocked for non usage over some months; I can't remember exactly; then I asked why that will happen even with a credit balance on each account; that was the end of the inquiry. I stopped using MTN immediately! I use Airtel now.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Nobody: 2:51am On Mar 02, 2020
oluwaseyi000:
Are these telecoms claiming there is absolutely no way to restrict all ussd transactions and previously sim-tied message on recycled numbers until new users activate them for their own account

Afterall all ussd transactions goes through the telecoms, if you can wipe my name, fingerprint and other information associated to my previous sim card why can't you wipe my bank accounts tied to the same sim card

The bank accounts are tied to that number through the bank and not through the telecom service provider. That is why they cannot remove it. As long as the bank has that number connected to that account, its system will keep sending messages to that number. Same with trucaller and people who have stored that number as the previous owner's and have not been notified of the change by him.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by SwTeee(f): 3:26am On Mar 02, 2020
just discovered yesterday that someone I know was innocently arrested for something similar to this.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by kennethology(m): 5:04am On Mar 02, 2020
Nigerian lawyers are political lawyers
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by AmeLonRo(m): 5:10am On Mar 02, 2020
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by jaxxy(m): 5:53am On Mar 02, 2020
Is it only MTN that does recycling of numbers??
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 6:39am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Who do we blame here??
Meanwhile, if DSS gets at that your guy, he is going in for it ooo.

My guy ke! The elderly man was a bank customer. By the time we called the "thief", he started crying on the phone cheesy. He didn't even have the liver for what he was doing.

We just advised the customer to change the number for his account. This was about 5 years ago. So this recycling number problem didn't just start.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by OmoOduduwa01: 6:42am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Wait..
So GLO and Etisalat (or abi 9mobile) do the same thing to people too?
And even Airtel as well
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 6:47am On Mar 02, 2020
ImaIma1:

My guy ke! The elderly man was a bank customer. By the time we called the "thief", he started crying on the phone cheesy. He didn't even have the liver for what he was doing.

We just advised the customer to change the number for his account. This was about 5 years ago. So this recycling number problem didn't just start.
Hmmmm..
This is just one of the rampant problems caused by recycling.
And the truth is, most people won't just want trouble.
They would just forgive the “thief” and move on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Abuleoshi: 7:07am On Mar 02, 2020
But this is a general practice by All Nigerian GSM operators, why address it to MTN? This open letter would have been better addressed to NCC and minister of communication...
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Melonny(m): 7:18am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Dear MTN..

I am going to be very brief on this, but I would make my points very clear.

You people had been doing “recycling of numbers” of innocent Nigerians who had not used their lines for up to one year or more, and the only remedy you guys put in place was to introduce a service known as “Keep My Line”, which you guys did not even sensitize the citizens on or make popular enough, and as a result, lots of the helpless Nigerian citizens did not even know about this service.

This had cause a lot of people to loose their precious numbers just like that, only because they had the opportunity of travelling abroad for some jobs or for studies, or maybe for one serious reason or another had a good cause to temporarily abandon their main lines for more than one year..

MTN, you guys never thought that these recycled lines might had been connected to the original owners bank-accounts, and that the new owners of these lines would now be given express unchecked access to these bank account through the USSD Mobile Banking Methods.

...Yess..
Someone recently bought a new line, and with all the happiness that he was able to still see a “0803...” number still available, the next thing he started seeing were messages from lots of people he never knew, lots of calls from unknown persons mistaking him to be the husband of one certain lady and telling him to hand the phone over to her so that they can talk to her directly.. Meanwhile, this guy had not married. He doesn't even have a serious girlfriend at the moment. To cap it all, he continued receiving series of endless debit and credit alerts on his phones of transactions he knows absolute nothing about.
He first went to the bank to stop the endless alerts, but they told him that he wasn't the one to apply for the change of number, but the original owner of the bank-account.

Now, imagine that this guy here has someone working in the bank who is ready to divulge information to him for some chicken change,, all he needs is just the correct account number of the person, and he would activate the USSD mobile banking options on the bank account..
What if the original owner had already activated USSD Mobile Banking?? In that case, all that the new owner of the line would do is just to dial the USSD mobile banking code for the bank, and start trying his best to change the transaction PIN or Password.

Dear MTN, if you guys may recall,, there is a recent issue which is already in court between You (MTN), Hanan Buhari (President Buhari's Daughter), The DSS, and one Anthony Okolie from Delta State.

To be honest, you MTN are the main cause of all the problems here. You guys blocked off Hanan in the first place and she lost her precious line.. Then you went ahead to sell the same line as a new line to an innocent unsuspecting Anthony.
Tell me, is it his fault that he bought the line..
You guys are totally guilty here.

And the earlier you stop doing this recycling of numbers, the better for you guys.
More criminal cases are still coming.

The case of Anthony Okolie and Hanan Buhari is just the beginning.
Not only MTN, I recently bought an Airtel Sim and I have been getting calls from people. My new sim was previously used by a 'Cray fish' seller.. I get about 10 calls everyday from people trying to order Cray fish or has made payments to the account. I am tired already, I made a complaint to Airtel. The only thing I got was the policy states that when a sim is inactive for 180 days then they can sell it to another person.
Just imagine what could happen to the customers money if I am heartless!
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by sofiscatedmoron: 7:21am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Dear MTN..

I am going to be very brief on this, but I would make my
Not only mtn, other Telecom company does the same
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by goshen26: 7:33am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
Dear MTN..

I am going to be very brief on this, but I would make my points very clear.

You people had been doing “recycling of numbers” of innocent Nigerians who had not used their lines for up to one year or more, and the only remedy you guys put in place was to introduce a service known as “Keep My Line”, which you guys did not even sensitize the citizens on or make popular enough, and as a result, lots of the helpless Nigerian citizens did not even know about this service.

This had cause a lot of people to loose their precious numbers just like that, only because they had the opportunity of travelling abroad for some jobs or for studies, or maybe for one serious reason or another had a good cause to temporarily abandon their main lines for more than one year..

MTN, you guys never thought that these recycled lines might had been connected to the original owners bank-accounts, and that the new owners of these lines would now be given express unchecked access to these bank account through the USSD Mobile Banking Methods.

...Yess..
Someone recently bought a new line, and with all the happiness that he was able to still see a “0803...” number still available, the next thing he started seeing were messages from lots of people he never knew, lots of calls from unknown persons mistaking him to be the husband of one certain lady and telling him to hand the phone over to her so that they can talk to her directly.. Meanwhile, this guy had not married. He doesn't even have a serious girlfriend at the moment. To cap it all, he continued receiving series of endless debit and credit alerts on his phones of transactions he knows absolute nothing about.
He first went to the bank to stop the endless alerts, but they told him that he wasn't the one to apply for the change of number, but the original owner of the bank-account.

Now, imagine that this guy here has someone working in the bank who is ready to divulge information to him for some chicken change,, all he needs is just the correct account number of the person, and he would activate the USSD mobile banking options on the bank account..
What if the original owner had already activated USSD Mobile Banking?? In that case, all that the new owner of the line would do is just to dial the USSD mobile banking code for the bank, and start trying his best to change the transaction PIN or Password.

Dear MTN, if you guys may recall,, there is a recent issue which is already in court between You (MTN), Hanan Buhari (President Buhari's Daughter), The DSS, and one Anthony Okolie from Delta State.

To be honest, you MTN are the main cause of all the problems here. You guys blocked off Hanan in the first place and she lost her precious line.. Then you went ahead to sell the same line as a new line to an innocent unsuspecting Anthony.
Tell me, is it his fault that he bought the line..
You guys are totally guilty here.

And the earlier you stop doing this recycling of numbers, the better for you guys.
More criminal cases are still coming.

How will they (mtn) see this wonderful write up?

Can someone sponsor this to any national daily?

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Euegene100001: 7:47am On Mar 02, 2020
What if the line recycled belongs to a kidnaper. undecided
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Airline(m): 7:54am On Mar 02, 2020
That's too bad. I've been wondering why some one should call me on phone and accuse me of denying my identity. That I think he will not find out, God will punish me and all that. On that line, I get Facebook notifications that I don't know where they are coming from.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ForbesHomesNG(m): 7:59am On Mar 02, 2020
PrincessB1:
Not MTN alone

Other network provider are guilty.
All network providers are guilty. But it's not out of place, what needs to be done is to find a way to investigate and keep records of recent past activities of any phone line (like 24 Months before) and het the FG to prosecute anyone found guilty in any way in as much as they cliam every line is registered. Then they can recycle after every 24 Months.

Intending house buyers (Duplex or Apartment houses) or you need verified titled LAND should check here and our signature below.
https://www.nairaland.com/5643825/dont-miss-best-ibeju-lekki-deal

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

16 Things That Are Too Real For Nigerians Who Use Android Devices / Itel P51: Unboxing My New Android Phone / 3 Things The New Nokia 8 Can Do That Your Infinix Or Tecno Phone Can't Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.