Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,309 members, 7,822,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:32 PM

An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers - Phones (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers (41211 Views)

Cash-Strapped Ghana Hits MTN With N350-Billion Tax Bill, MTN Disputes (PICS) / Call For 60minute On Mtn With 100 Naira / Get 2.5gb On MTN With Just 1000 Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Spacko007(m): 8:03am On Mar 02, 2020
Before coming online to show your ignorance please do some research, recycling of abandoned sims is a regulation by NCC, so channel your grievances to the right place. Secondly you claimed the keep my number service is not well publicized I disagree with that, you can walk into any of their offices and make enquiries or call their helpdesk. Stop this emotional blackmail.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by xxgig(m): 8:10am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:

It is possible that your lines were not actually cloned.
May, they were recycled..
Have you investigated properly??

I bought a line, sometime in November, registered it and received a welcome and congratulatory message from mtn with my name, only to start receiving calls the next day from people.. line wey even my girlfriend never get the number.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 8:49am On Mar 02, 2020
Melonny:
Not only MTN, I recently bought an Airtel Sim and I have been getting calls from people. My new sim was previously used by a 'Cray fish' seller.. I get about 10 calls everyday from people trying to order Cray fish or has made payments to the account. I am tired already, I made a complaint to Airtel. The only thing I got was the policy states that when a sim is inactive for 180 days then they can sell it to another person.
Just imagine what could happen to the customers money if I am heartless!
Oohh.. Thanks goodness that you are not heartless.
I can imagine how fed-up you are with the line already.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by MansoryMX(m): 9:31am On Mar 02, 2020
Offpoint:
Aboki called, you told him "Wrong number"
He calls back like "Wrong number" means "Call me back" in Hausa.

That's my own headache

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by MansoryMX(m): 9:34am On Mar 02, 2020
Spacko007:
Before coming online to show your ignorance please do some research, recycling of abandoned sims is a regulation by NCC, so channel your grievances to the right place. Secondly you claimed the keep my number service is not well publicized I disagree with that, you can walk into any of their offices and make enquiries or call their helpdesk. Stop this emotional blackmail.

Don’t be offended. You sound stup1d

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 10:19am On Mar 02, 2020
MansoryMX:

Don’t be offended. You sound stup1d
Thanks for reformatting him a little.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by godliman: 11:01am On Mar 02, 2020
tk4rd:
You know, there are no snakes on this thread.. But there are lots of sense here.
he should have mentioned snakes now to make it front page post.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by willyjacs(m): 11:04am On Mar 02, 2020
pennywys:
Just bought a new Glo SIM

There I had problem explaining myself cos of Truecaller
Truecaller shows shedrack
The solution is simple.
Get a truecaller app and edit the name to ur name
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by tk4rd: 11:47am On Mar 02, 2020
Spacko007:
Oga Researcher..
Well done oo.
Since you are good in researches, I want you to do a research on the popularity of the Keep my number services and publish it on Nairaland or any other media you prefer and bring it to my attention.
You can sample any range of random respondents.
Get the following information from them..
1. Ask them what they would probably do to their sim-cards and phone numbers if they happen to get an invitation to travel abroad and stay for up to five years.
2. Ask them if they know about anything called Recycling of Numbers.
3. Then, ask them if they know about the Keep My Number Services..
You would be most highly disappointed..
The result you would get will be that only about 0.007% of the Nigerian population knows about the Keep My Number service, whereas, only about 4% may know about recycling of numbers.
Well publicised my foot!! And you still want me to enter their offices to have it publicised on my individual head.. Is that how you people do your own publicising in your firm??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by zoedew: 11:50am On Mar 02, 2020
edoairways:

You can only sue if the line is within the grace period of between 90 to 180 days
Sure. However T&C jailbreak is a possibility.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by barrypro: 12:13pm On Mar 02, 2020
Numbers are usually reallocated after being dormant to sometime. Its happens everywhere not just Nigeria.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Bossman(m): 3:11pm On Mar 02, 2020
Yes, but NOT after 90 - 120 days of no activity. In most other countries, your SIM will stay active for at least 6 months of no use at all. And even 12 months in some cases. Then after the inactive period, there is usually a grace period of 3 months to re-activate the number by topping it up or. Then if that does not happen is the number recycled.

gentle007:
Recycling of inative line is a world wide industry standard
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Bossman(m): 3:24pm On Mar 02, 2020
I am not aware of any other country where the line is considered valid only 90 days. And one needs a chargeable activity every 90 days to keep it active. It's usually at least 180 days.

The lifetime of the SIM is dependent on a chargeable activity. Which can be a topup, out going call/text. Just anything that generates money for the carrier, Not just a topup alone.

ShenTeh:
Number (MSISDN) recycling is international best practice. No need calling out MTN, other telcos or NCC. It not only betrays our Ignorance but shows our poor grasp of the products we are using.

The lifespan of your MSISDN ownership is dependent on your recharge history. For most networks, the number of times you recharge (not denomination, just number of times) extends the validity of your ownership by 90 days. When this validity period expires, your line becomes inactive, upon which when you recharge you get 90 days, etc. This way people can get lifetime validity.

When you do not recharge in this inactive status, the line becomes deactivated 90 days from the inactive status date. A deactivated line can still be redeemed from your network provider with some basic requirements. It remains in this state for another 90 days. When you make no effort to redeem the deactivated SIM and tge 90 days elapse, the MSISDN (your number) is recycled and you forfeit ownership.

Fair enough. Otherwise telcos will just be selling numbers to claim largest subscriber base without bothering on quality and customer retention.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ShenTeh(m): 3:49pm On Mar 02, 2020
Bossman:
I am not aware of any other country where the line is considered valid only 90 days. And one needs a chargeable activity every 90 days to keep it active. It's usually at least 180 days.

The lifetime of the SIM is dependent on a chargeable activity. Which can be a topup, out going call/text. Just anything that generates money for the carrier, Not just a topup alone.

Try it. Call your Mobile Network Operator and ask them for your Validity date. Make a CHARGEABLE transaction and call them to see if that information of your validity date changes. You can then RECHARGE and call again to verify the difference.

Don't take my word for it. Verify.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ShenTeh(m): 3:50pm On Mar 02, 2020
Bossman:
Yes, but NOT after 90 - 120 days of no activity. In most other countries, your SIM will stay active for at least 6 months of no use at all. And even 12 months in some cases. Then after the inactive period, there is usually a grace period of 3 months to re-activate the number by topping it up or. Then if that does not happen is the number recycled.

The difference is in your recharge history. The more the number of times you recharge, the longer your validity.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Zinny25(f): 7:37pm On Mar 02, 2020
so true,my sis is having the same issue
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by Legendguru: 8:28pm On Mar 02, 2020
Oh
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by lekonso: 8:50pm On Mar 02, 2020
Another issue is expiration of data subscription. Why must data subscription expire? We subscribers need to protest against expiration of data subscription. Since i use my money to buy data, i should be free to finish it anytime i want.

1 Like

Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by edoairways: 7:55am On Mar 03, 2020
lekonso:
Another issue is expiration of data subscription. Why must data subscription expire? We subscribers need to protest against expiration of data subscription. Since i use my money to buy data, i should be free to finish it anytime i want.
You want to worsened things. Your data would be exhausted before you even type James Peter on Google
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by chinazaekpere12: 9:16am On Mar 03, 2020
tk4rd:
This Is Exactly My Point.
I bought a new mtn line in January for business and when I used the line to call my main phone, it showed as Segun Solar on true caller. Even the line I use to logon to my Facebook account till date is been used by someone in Ibadan while I'm in Delta. It doesn't make sense at all, MTN should do well to stop it. I tried to reach a friend I met in Zamfara but a lady picked up and said its her line and she bought it 2 years ago, Even the real owner of the line called to beg her to give it back to him but she refused. Its so sad�
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by chukwuyenumlove: 1:52pm On Mar 03, 2020
THE ISSUE IS VERY SAD

I WAS STILL USING ONE OF MY GLO LINES WHEN IT WAS REASSIGNED TO SOMEONE ELSE, JUST BECAUSE I WENT OFF NETWORK FOR ABOUR 15 DAYS ON DUTY.

THE LINE I GOT WHEN I VISITED A COUNTRY OUTSIDE NIGERIA IS STILL USABLE BY ME EVEN AFTER STAYING AWAY FOR OVER 5 YEARS.

HERE IN NIGERIA, THE NETWORK SERVICE PROVIDERS ARE EATING THEIR CAKES AND HAVING IT BACK.

ONE OF THE MAIN REASONS THEY CAN USE THE LINES TO TRACK CRIME. GET A NEW LINE AND TRUE CALLER IS SHOWING THE VERY FIRST OWNER OF SUCH LINES.

GOVERNMENT NEED TO LOOK INTO THIS AND STOP IT AT ONCE
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by NextD18: 6:59am On Mar 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

My guy ke! The elderly man was a bank customer. By the time we called the "thief", he started crying on the phone cheesy. He didn't even have the liver for what he was doing.

We just advised the customer to change the number for his account. This was about 5 years ago. So this recycling number problem didn't just start.
You work with MTN?
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 8:31am On Mar 05, 2020
NextD18:

You work with MTN?

I worked in a bank then. The man had his account with us
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by NextD18: 8:38am On Mar 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

I worked in a bank then. The man had his account with us
Oh! okay. You worked in a bank?

Impressive! Even thought you were jobless. smiley
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 8:46am On Mar 05, 2020
NextD18:

Oh! okay. You worked in a bank?

Impressive! Even thought you were jobless. smiley

Evidence that our assumptions are most times invalid.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by NextD18: 9:01am On Mar 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

Evidence that our assumptions are most times invalid.
Just like you and your ilks assumes a lot about me. smiley
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 10:26am On Mar 05, 2020
NextD18:

Just like you and your ilks assumes a lot about me. smiley

Another assumption.

You seem to assume a lot...and have a some kind of bias or prejudice.

Who are "your ilks"? Show me a post where I assumed something about you.
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by NextD18: 1:55pm On Mar 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

Another assumption.

You seem to assume a lot... and have a some kind of bias or prejudice.

Who are "your ilks"? Show me a post where I assumed something about you.
Another assumption. grin
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 3:41pm On Mar 05, 2020
NextD18:

Another assumption. grin

Not an assumption. It's based on your comments. "You and your ilks". What did you mean by that? Who am I and who are my ilks?
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by NextD18: 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2020
ImaIma1:

Not an assumption. It's based on your comments. "You and your ilks". What did you mean by that? Who am I and who are my ilks?
You, my friend, should calm down. smiley

Why making every shiit look like we are fighting cheesy
Re: An Open Letter To MTN With Regards To Their Recycling Of Numbers by ImaIma1(f): 9:13pm On Mar 05, 2020
NextD18:

You, my friend, should calm down. smiley

Why making every shiit look like we are fighting cheesy

You should see me when I am fighting wink

I really don't like the constant generalization, classification, bias on this forum.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why You Might Want To Uninstall Your Truecaller Application / 3 Things The New Nokia 8 Can Do That Your Infinix Or Tecno Phone Can't Do / 16 Things That Are Too Real For Nigerians Who Use Android Devices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.