Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,459 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! (101055 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by SocialJustice: 8:46pm On Mar 07, 2020
Stallion93:
Shattap!
When you're depressed and contemplating suicide, you will still come here to tell us.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by bobowaja(m): 8:47pm On Mar 07, 2020
Teaser4:
oh that's cool bro. before you know it, you don turn guru..
Na so.... Mention me for another thread make I collect ur digits.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by bobowaja(m): 8:48pm On Mar 07, 2020
KingWarri:

Same here
That is the new oil well bro. Anything IT pays well these days.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Taich(m): 8:49pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:
Wow!

One of the things I've learnt over time while working, is to be one step ahead.

I once worked in a company where my line manager was a compete nut head. I saw the handwriting on the wall that I needed to leave. I fired up my cv ASAP and got an offer (way better offer than I was paid) and dropped my resignation letter. My line manager was shocked...I knew he would have fired me, or atleast recommended my sack, if I didn't take that drastic step of been 1 step ahead. Soon after I left, 2 other devs, were fired.

Everywhere I have worked in my short career, I've always tried to read moves, anticipate actions and moves, position myself in a way, no one will take me by surprise.

I learnt this on my first real job. I was doing so well by all standards, a bachelor who thinks more of his job and how to improve than any other thing in life, I was blind sided.
I was fired and I felt really bad for i taught i was one of the best in my game. I got another job 6 months later, but this time with a different mindset. I am always staying ahead, I make it my duty to know who is hiring in my field, where my present company is heading, my usefulness, marketability on the job market and sharpening my exit strategy.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by lilyheaven: 8:51pm On Mar 07, 2020
I once lost a 300k job, because I refused to give my body.
The man that helped me get the job was so angry with me, he asked me one million times , "if I am a virgin"
Finally I got a smaller one, but luckily , my husband found me ( everything works for good)

11 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by shegzhkn: 8:53pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

No let poverty wound you. Devs in Nigeria are earning that much and higher in Nigeria.

I am talking of peeps in their 20s.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Jimi24: 8:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
lebete3000:

When I tell people the average Nigerian's mindset has already been bastardized, people say I'm too negative.

Here's someone saying "apparently I wasn't supposed to ask for assistance" in a test, as if she didn't even know that before. In our days, the kain fear wey you go fear b4 you even answer person wey ask you question, let alone the person asking it.

Well it's all good for peeps like us sha, it would make working with civilized people easier for us, as we still got that old culture and tradition of being afraid to cheat, so will rather fail honorably.

For the kids of this generation however, all I can say is undecided

All Nigerians 40 years of age and below are idiots. There is a lot missing in them and it is not just bad government. There is a kind of dirty, subliminal sense of entitlement to be corrupt. Very annoying.
I always ask them and since 95% of them want to emigrate abroad how they are going to cope.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Jimi24: 9:04pm On Mar 07, 2020
motionarena:
I sacked from a secondary school I was working because I was bangging one ss2 student.

God forgive me but the girl was the one tempting me badly

A minor does not 'tempt' you. She is a minor. You should be in a dirty mosquito infested prison. It is the most anonoying thing to hear that a child tempted you.

5 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Stewart883(m): 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2020
Stallion93:
Don’t give us half information here, What is your aim of telling us? We should go and beg for you or what? State in Clear terms what role your played in that company that Warrants 750k per month? what Company it is actually? and How some of us here can get your kind of connection?

It's not a lie my brother. I have friends working in this Nigeria earning over 700k doing actually noting. I'm serious!! It's real

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Stallion93(m): 9:06pm On Mar 07, 2020
SocialJustice:
When you're depressed and contemplating suicide, you will still come here to tell us.
So is being depressed smth to jeer about? Don’t be stupid
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by DrBrainstorm(m): 9:07pm On Mar 07, 2020
illitrate:

I think your software will return debugging error, wrong syntax grin because of grammar.
Which one be debugging errror again?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by aytuns(m): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Share your experience with us if you have ever been fired. It would be better if we can share:

1. Why we were fired?
2. How did the firing process happen?
3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

So, I’ll start:

Sometimes last year, I got an unbelievable offer (well above #750k) at a remote company. I bought a PC, subscribed for large data and set-up a workspace...... .

I have experienced other sad situations, but this has to be the worst. I was so depressed, the following Sunday, I went to Church and it was while Pastor asked us to greet our neighbor, I remembered I didn’t brush… LMAO.

Now, I got something with abit lesser pay but still very chilled grin

Please, if you don't mind me asking, what are your skills set sir?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by sircrabo: 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2020
I am a Front End Dev (htm,css,bootstrap,javascript, ...) in need of a Job. Not necessarily I.T. I can work in any sector (except money rituals , yahoo, kidnapping sector). I will appreciate if anyone can Hook me up with a company. I can do Internship for a Tech company ( to learn more)
I believe God uses men to help People.

Thanks

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by sharpwriter(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:

It is a productivity monitoring tool... it isn't only for that... it tracks time. I'm a lady too.

Thanks for your kind words.

Ma'am.... What kind of IT aspect are you into?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by MrCEO69(m): 9:21pm On Mar 07, 2020
CokeBar:
Share your experience with us if you have ever been fired. It would be better if we can share:

1. Why we were fired?
2. How did the firing process happen?
3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

So, I’ll start:

Sometimes last year, I got an unbelievable offer (well above #750k) at a remote company. I bought a PC, subscribed for large data and set-up a workspace. On Monday which was resumption day, I turned on my PC, logged in and started the online meeting… everything went well for the first day and I got introduced to my colleagues. My friend and I actually got employed for same position, so we usually chatted while working. To be onboarded, we had to install a productivity monitoring tool on our PCs, we were told everything we did on the PC would be captured if the tool was turned ON but I really don’t know why I cared less.

On Wednesday same week, we had a short and simple test, during the test, I asked my friend for an answer as I wasn’t so sure, he responded and that was it.

On Thursday, I had a quick one-on-one call with my manager, I was fired. Apparently, I wasn’t supposed to ask for assistance while taking the test. I apologized but the answer was a straight NO (you sabi how oyinbo people strict). So in other words, I was sacked because I cheated ☹.

Well, they paid me for the few days I worked �

I have experienced other sad situations, but this has to be the worst. I was so depressed, the following Sunday, I went to Church and it was while Pastor asked us to greet our neighbor, I remembered I didn’t brush… LMAO.

Now, I got something with abit lesser pay but still very chilled grin
What company is this and how did u apply?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dollywood:

Let me have your whatsapp contact please.

Ha, baba you go drop your number make i contact you oh. I nor go fit dropy number here oh.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by haaryobhami: 9:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
BennyDGreat:

Learn from him if you can
he left Nigeria recently though,am in abuja right now nd would like to know if there is a center where I can learn
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 9:25pm On Mar 07, 2020
orunmila144:
My brother all is well we thank God. Salute to you

I greet you my brother
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 9:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
elantraceey:

it's one thing to name and know the company and its another thing to get hired, some of this companies that pays big, their hiring process nor be Beans, your skills and brain have to be tight, so develop yourself and you'll see all the opportunities coming.
Still let us know. We all know it is not easy to get into MIT but at least we can try
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 07, 2020
AmazingELixir:
grin

My case is different, I nearly put myself in a precarious situation, i had a job i was collecting 450k consolidated, but somehow I wasn't really satisfied with the job because it wasn't challenging me well enough but it offered me ample opportunities to engage in other side jobs, it so happened I applied for oil servicing offer with one of the well known multinationals and about 50 of us were invited for interview at the end of the day two of us were invited for oral interview, in the course of the interview I was bombarded with questions from 5 of their technical staff after they were done the salary package was discussed, somehow I was not too comfortable with the structure of the job since I was to be employed a contract staff and no clearly defined training structure was disclosed since I was coming from the power sector and the package at start off is about half of what I was earning unless I go to rig or offshore where the allowances are pretty impressive ofcourse this was happening during the difficult period in the oil sector when prices of crude oil were plummeting.

After the interview I went home to brainstorm about the development, I convinced myself it wasn't worth my trouble and decided to shun the job.

About two weeks later the company started retrenchment and sacking of workers even the experienced ones including my friend that have worked with them for about 5years then was affected..

I just told satan "God punish you," see where I for lose everything ooh.
What’s here to brainstorm, I would have made my decision before leaving their premises.
1. Money wasn’t up to current pay
2. Contract not permanent
3. No defined training that might perhaps be helpful

Wetin I won dey brainstorm for this kind thing.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by aspirebig: 9:35pm On Mar 07, 2020
I see people surprised over the N750k monthly pay,many earn 20k , graduates still earn 30k ,as in N30K THOUSAND NAIRA here in Naija.

Today, someone told her salary is 15k. Though she has only school cert.

As far as all fingers are not equal, the inequalities of life will NEVER stop.

You guys all know how much our senators earn monthly, Last last, we all buy from the same market.

It is well with Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by angelfallz(m): 9:35pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

I should back up my argument for you? You well so?

I don't get? Do you think I'm trying to prove any point to you? Or you think your ignorance in any way affects me?

You're obviously ignorant, ill exposed and not vast in matters like this, unfortunately, I can't help it and won't even oblige.

SMH all you do is throw insults left and right. Guy, leave it. Your claims are baseless
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by philip0906(m): 9:38pm On Mar 07, 2020
angelfallz:

[s]SMH all you do is throw insults left and right. Guy, leave it. Your claims are baseless[/s]
Common take your ignorant black ass outta here and go talk to your fellow bum heads.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Bizibi(m): 9:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
philip0906:

Poverty don wound people for this country...no be their fault.

When you're earning 50k monthly, every one around you too earns in that same bracket, you go think say na so e be for everybody for the country. So when you hear that someone earns 750k, because poverty has so much dealth with you, you'll think it's a lie.
that is an average Nigerian mindset.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Ayemileto(m): 9:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
Emmadgrt20:

brotherly abeg where are you people seeing all these mouth watering opportunities or is it by connection? because I don't understand whether your internet is different from the one I know. I have searched, searched, searched and searched yet no befitting one. abeg make una help us even with the ones of 100k

Me I'm still searching too ni ooo.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by paschenko(m): 9:39pm On Mar 07, 2020
newinventions:

My brother, I used to reason like you. There are jobs that pay 600k naira per forthnights in Lagos and Abuja, I know guys who work there, earning more than oil worker, I am a example. And mind you I am yet to complete my Masters, so imagine someone working with a Master, then i will be earning from 1.5M per forthnights.

There are multinationals jobs in Nigeria, only for Nigerians, it boldly written on the JD : Non-Nigerian should not apply. Step up your game, develop yourself with online courses and you too can earn a 6 figures salary, no be alliance in motion or longrich business, na better white collar job where nobody asks you to pay to get employed. Only God and your qualifications and experience can land you the job, so stop doubting when someone tells you he/ she earns a "mere" 800,000 naira.
Another rib cracker. This guy lives on the moon.

Chaiiiii Nigerian youths who do una.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by tot(f): 9:41pm On Mar 07, 2020
Taich:

I learnt this on my first real job. I was doing so well by all standards, a bachelor who thinks more of his job and how to improve than any other thing in life, I was blind sided.
I was fired and I felt really bad for i taught i was one of the best in my game. I got another job 6 months later, but this time with a different mindset. I am always staying ahead, I make it my duty to know who is hiring in my field, where my present company is heading, my usefulness, marketability on the job market and sharpening my exit strategy.

Well said.

Very interesting thread.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Bizibi(m): 9:42pm On Mar 07, 2020
Fragility6:

Its not as if we are saying its a lie but hearing sumbdy earning diz amount in diz country is very very rare
what about 2million or 6 million a month.nigerians don't talk about such things and one major problem in Nigeria is information.

There are people who do deals worth billions,I know of a man that rejected a 1.5b a month offer to lease his land out to an investor,you might think it is impossible but it happens in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by vandertommy: 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2020
Roadtoyesterday:

Ogun state yellow army under ideas house agency
MTN doesn't owe workers. All issues regarding to payment are mostly caused by the agencies. They say you can never fight the government and win so next time just apply wisdom while handling such cases.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by cooltola(m): 9:51pm On Mar 07, 2020
cooltola:
There is nothing wrong for someone or a company. There is a myth that working for a company is bad and starting your own business or working for yourself is good. I have seen some people who have started a business with nothing to show for it and have seen some people who work for someone or a company with nothing to show for it. Do your homework by studying the market, the customers and the environment before venturing out. A business or hustle that works in Oshodi might not work in Ibadan. A business that Emeka is successful at might not work Femi or vice versa.
Always put God first

Never put all your eggs in one basket and always try something new that can pay you in the long run. The job market is always changing but there are constant no matter how bad the economy which are transport business , housing and the need for foods and information.

Since we live in the internet age, it is not a bad idea for one to learn more on computer programs or IT so you can keep yourself updated.

Never put your business into the hands of friends or family. There is no family in business because they do not care about your sacrifices or what it takes to run a business, instead employ a qualified person who will increase the net worth of your business.

Never mixes business acquaintance or customers as your personal friends- Your female/male customer are not your girlfriend or boyfriend

Always think ahead of the curve by looking for way to eliminate waste-e.g. if your top customers happens to around 4-8am, you want to be there at 330am and live close to the area of your business whether there is traffic or not . It does not make sense that you live 1.5 hour away from business location because of traffic. You will lose money, time , and sanity

Always take care of your equipment that fetches you money e.g if you drive for uber, service your car regularly will save your money, and keep your car running for a long time.

Working for a very pay job means you set high standard for yourself, there are many qualified people who want your spot in the company- You do not to give room for anyone to get sack you. You do not come late for work, do your work very well and never take anything for granted

If it happens that you know that your boss or employer is at a wedding party or any social event with you, try your best never to outshine your boss at any event because tomorrow might be another story especially if the job is high paying.

Just because your job pay very well does not mean it going to last, always have a backup plan, save your money and try to live according to your means. You do not want to be the person that made a lot of money in 2020s and now you barely can afford to rent a self contain

Please make sure you hustle/work hard or do your very best while you are young, energetic and vibrant and save when you are young. You do not want to be the old man/woman looking for a handout or waiting for your lottery ticket, you might be end up disappointed . Banking on your children or rich relative might not be guarantee
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by dru23(m): 9:56pm On Mar 07, 2020
cooltola:

Please make sure you hustle/work hard or do your very best while you are young, energetic and vibrant and save when you are young. You do not want to be the old man/woman looking for a handout or waiting for your lottery ticket, you might be end up disappointed . Banking on your children or rich relative might not be guarantee

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by shogsman(m): 9:58pm On Mar 07, 2020
Dollywood:

Just 250K? Oga o
230k in Lagos isnt what you think it is when you factor your bills

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (29) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers / Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.