Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,958 members, 7,817,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! - Career (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! (101069 Views)

Nigerian Lady Fired From New Job In Canada For Saying Sorry Too Much / How I Got Fired From Chevron By A Gay Boss / Robot Demoted And Fired At A Supermarket In UK After A Week Of Incompetence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 07, 2020
I have learnt so many lessons from all comments posted here. Thanks nairalanders.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by AmDayo: 11:14pm On Mar 07, 2020
Roadtoyesterday:
We started the work as a field agent sometime last year, it was a telecommunications work (MTN 4G upgrade) I was still in my final year in school when I joined. 4 months into the job I was made the supervisor, when I became the supervisor, I notice the agents were been short changed, in terms of benefits and payments, I tried working on the irregularities but it bounced back to me, gbam I was fired for lodging a complaint on the delayed salaries of the workers.

A. Month after, my depth profile became so high, I was the one supporting my family and sponsoring my junior ones. I hate myself for trying to be holier than thou while at work. Till this moment, I've not gained myself. I've lost everything. At this point I can only hope God sees my heart and reward me if truly God support good decision.

Am a replica of your humanity act bro.
fighting for people right and speaking up when our right and mandate were been subjugated and denied. Thou it mostly bounce back on me or the people you are doing this for later pour the blame on you. Anyways, my been sincere to a fault will never be compromise till I put on a "good shoe".
Stay blessed sir.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by betterpikinn: 11:15pm On Mar 07, 2020
thecommunist:
ordinary bottling companies in Lagos pay 500k, 800k,1.5m per month depending on your negotiating power, work experience and skills.
Lie
Coca-Cola that I know pays between 180 to 250 for bsc entry level
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Casanye(m): 11:18pm On Mar 07, 2020
KillerBeauty:

Even with a business you have to rely on others to give you a living as well. It's not angels that will descend from heaven to do business with you is it?
With business its entirely a different ball game in the sense that you are not under the whims and caprices of your customer, rather they come looking for you because you have what they need at that point in time.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Emanodimo(m): 11:22pm On Mar 07, 2020
To be a Professional in an IT World(Programming, app developer), is it possible to be doing office work (Weekdays)and learn an IT skills(Weekends) to get the best out of it?

Or is it more profitable to engaged daily with an IT skills or environment to learn better and faster towards becoming a Pro and make sense out of the IT training?

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by kayodez: 11:38pm On Mar 07, 2020
kayodez:
I have never been sacked before, but I lost my teaching job in December, due to a dilemma up till now I'm jobless,

Even right now, I feel devastated as I have exhausted all my savings looking for jobs and personal upkeep, the remaining savings I have let can't pay my over-due house rent. My landlord has given me 7 days notice otherwise I packed out. I have only 5 days more as i have no hopes.

I'm pleading and seek for assistance to anyone who can assist me either for jobs or to save me from this rent debt issue.
God bless

Hello
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Ojugunrege(f): 11:54pm On Mar 07, 2020
Fragility6:

Its not as if we are saying its a lie but hearing sumbdy earning diz amount in diz country is very very rare

Uncle, it is not rare o...who are in your circle

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Bizibi(m): 12:01am On Mar 08, 2020
shogsman:

That's exaggeration.
the 1.5b is impossible abi,that is what happens in the solid mineral.....the stone is for a product people buy everyday.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Elxandre(m): 12:05am On Mar 08, 2020
CokeBar:

I never said a random employment... you made that up in your head because you didn't just want to believe it.

When you get such jobs, it comes with minimum PC specifications, the PC I had wasn't what they wanted... here's a pic... I hope you believe now
In this case, what was the minimum required specs?
Hope they didn't ask for half a million specs? Lol
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by darlenese(f): 12:08am On Mar 08, 2020
Mrshape:
mine: I was not fired but I loss the job because of let me say greediness on my part.
I am a mathematics teacher I do private lessons,
So this woman called me for lesson, I billed her 100K per month (three times a week one hour thirty minutes each)

She begged for #60,000 I said no my last is 80K
(i don't know the spirit that was speaking on my behalf because I know that was not me, maybe the spirit of one of those motivational speakers saying never settle for less)

Because my current lessons are far below her offer at that time.

When I reach house the regret I have, I have never had that in my life, well, it was a lesson that helped me in future negotiations

be my maths teacher
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Elxandre(m): 12:11am On Mar 08, 2020
philip0906:

Your ignorance, no get part 2.

From comparing Customer care agents to Devs, you just didn't stop your folly there, you're now comparing American police with fullstack/front/back end engineers.

You're a bloody clown. The fact that you're even confident in your clowning around, is even more ridiculous.
Why you dey engage that guy na.
Una just dey dull the thread. I'm learning a lot sha.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by bentwood85(m): 12:22am On Mar 08, 2020
4dor:
If there's one thing I've learnt from this thread it's that the poverty in Naija is real. Poverty also starts as a mindset.

Mid Level Software Developers earn around 250-400k in Nigeria. Seniors earn 500k upwards, in fact sometime last year there was a vacancy in Lekki and the Salary was between 800k - 1m.

If you work remotely for a foreign company as a senior and you're good, you can even hit 1.5m monthly.

Before you try to argue, I've been in this industry for the past seven years.

If you want to be like this get a laptop and start learning how to code.

How long does it take to learn it software development.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by paschenko(m): 12:27am On Mar 08, 2020
Olatara:
I did this recently, and it paid off, though I have not resigned yet, and I just got a job that is far better, so I am leaving by the end of this month.

No notice period to observe?
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Mrshape: 12:39am On Mar 08, 2020
darlenese:

be my maths teacher
(1)Why do you want to learn maths?
(2)Online or offline?
You location if offline.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by adanny01(m): 12:43am On Mar 08, 2020
Casanye:
The problem with a job is that relying on others to give you a living is the biggest risk of all - Robert Kiyosaki.

So everyone who is paid a salary should quit abi?

If we all go into business, who will fly the planes, control public electricity, produce or regulate money, how will the network providers give you network, the news media will shut down, Buhari will have to drive himself, cook for himself, the police will be absent and the military will tell you OYO etc

Don't deceive yourself, some people are meant to earn money by salary while others are meant to be enterprising.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by paschenko(m): 12:51am On Mar 08, 2020
mamatwiny:

Go and get a good It skill and you will never be out of job. Cyber security is in demand all over the world, full stack developers, ai etc.

My 2 cents.

Y'all talking about IT skills. I am not an IT engineer but I earn much more than some. Get HR Certifications and become an HR Business Partner. A good certification / Masters in International Law can also land you a lucrative role.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by trilobite: 1:08am On Mar 08, 2020
philip0906:

My friend shut your dirty mouth abeg...Leave your ashewo beer parlor mentality for that thread.

Just look at how you're rambling about what you know nothing about. Them dey tell you say programmers dey earn that much amd higher working remote jobs, me thinking you even know anything about tech dey follow you dey discourse, only for you to compare customer service agents with devs...

Clown!!

cheesy cheesy grin grin You have time!!
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by trilobite: 1:13am On Mar 08, 2020
iamJ:
no America company with Americans will pay that much hence those comparisons

They will roit in America if that happens

Its because of how much to pay workers that apple is using sweat shops in China

Companies don't like paying

Talkless of paying foreigners

Did a human just type this?!!! My goodness!!! Seriously?!! Internet users can be this illiterate?!!!

Shocking!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by otipoju(m): 2:05am On Mar 08, 2020
haryomikun:
Got a job on Upwork last year that paid 11 times what other Nigerian writers got. As much as 5,000 for a 400-word article. I was gearing to net 500k after commission and tax every month from the job.

Outsourced the job to someone because i was very busy with admission exams and boom! The fool was plagiarizing words carelessly and lost me the job.

One of the worst periods of my life....

Wht speciality of writing was your focus. I think I can do this as a side hustle
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by otipoju(m): 2:08am On Mar 08, 2020
paschenko:

Y'all talking about IT skills. I am not an IT engineer but I earn much more than some. Get HR Certifications and become an HR Business Partner. A good certification / Masters in International Law can also land you a lucrative role.

Wheres is your location. This is my area. How long did it take you to become a Business Partner.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by enemyofprogress: 2:24am On Mar 08, 2020
southniyikaye:
in my present situation, 750k is looking like rocket science to me sincerely.
750k is a chicken compared to what i hen at my place of work
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 08, 2020
booz:
Yeah. Got hired into a multinational and worked a few years before I was sacked. I was young and naïve, worked with 'multinational pride', to the extent of calling my direct boss by his first name ( forgetting we're all Nigerians working in Nigeria). The guy (my manager) benched me with seat belt, giving my colleagues tasks to execute and leaving me out. When Nigeria slided into recession, viola!!! the guy recommended me and mostly other guys from my tribe to be sacked(people from my tribe are seen as threats because of our smartness, no pride intended),we were all sacked. Then I earned about 450k.

Worked in a couple of other companies, moving from one to another as offers kept getting better and to the glory of God, I have at sight a salary of 7 figures every month.

Lesson learnt: the first attribute you need to progress after attitude, is loyalty. REM you're not indispensable, before you someone was doing it and after you, someone will do it!

I NEED A JOB SIR
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Ndipe(m): 3:49am On Mar 08, 2020
At times being fired turns out to be a blessing.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by PicLtd: 5:18am On Mar 08, 2020
Stallion93:
Don’t give us half information here, What is your aim of telling us? We should go and beg for you or what? State in Clear terms what role your played in that company that Warrants 750k per month? what Company it is actually? and How some of us here can get your kind of connection?

Does she owe you anything? Abi na jealousy wan kill you?

See sense of entitlement. Why not ask nicely? Ndi mmadu sef.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 08, 2020
udemzyudex:

Lol,I see envy in your post.

Reason high paying firms warn you not to disclose your income
Especially IOC's

Wicked minds everywhere
Once you get a good job. They want you to carry your extended family problems on your head. Even if they did not give u one kobo in school undecided
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 6:38am On Mar 08, 2020
iamJ:
una no sabi work

Average wage in tech industry in America is 50k dollars a year

U expect me to believe that an employment via remote connection is worth 24000

There are customer care agents in America that dont take home 18k a year

Make una take am easy

My friend writes for a U.S based company from uyo
Earns 24kusd per annum

700k plus monthly

2 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Nobody: 6:55am On Mar 08, 2020
bikerboy1:
These people that collect 750k salary for a month, what exactly do they do on day to day basis.

That salary is crazy

It's small
That's IT

In the finance industry
I work as a prop futures trader for a foreign trading firm
I wont accept that currently

3 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by bikerboy1(m): 7:21am On Mar 08, 2020
orunmila144:
I know one of the managers at etisalat. he earns 5 million naira a month. thats 60 million a year. i also know a manager at diageo guiness who earns 5 million naira a monnth. lmao some people in this country earn crazy money. its hard to believe but its true

Let me just respect myself and be doing my job. I can't kee myself because my salary is small
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by XaintJoel20: 7:33am On Mar 08, 2020
oluwaseyi000:

Why we were fired?
I joined this company last year, few days after finishing my NYSC, they have the highest number of software developers in Africa and I was loving life, the salary is great with breakfast and lunch

They keep on employing so many software engineer with time the engineer become more than the available job, I saw it coming but I don't know what the board was thinking

2. How did the firing process happen?
We have a global (online) meeting which people are asked not to miss, I was not even listening very well to what they are saying, the president said there are more developer than engagement to they have to let some people go, a mail was sent to all impacted people and I discovered what has just happened

Almost 400 people has been fired across Africa

3. Aftermath of being fired… how did you feel, have you recovered, did you get something better?

The company is actually a great one, they brought in pychologist to speak with us, bring in different recruiter, and other stuff, most importantly the payoff was reasonable that I can afford a Mac laptop of almost half-a-million

Luckily for me I got another reasonable job in less than 3 weeks of been retrenched

I always laugh when people complain there is no job in Nigeria, less than 5 month after leaving my previous company I have turned down almost 4 other offers some even paying than my current one

I so much saw the retrenchment coming that I once created a similar thread as this https://www.nairaland.com/5352267/why-how-loose-last-job

How do you get jobs so easily?
Please tell me.
Thanks
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by Olatara(f): 7:44am On Mar 08, 2020
paschenko:

No notice period to observe?
I will do that on Monday.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by meobizy(f): 8:01am On Mar 08, 2020
I haven't gotten sacked and I know it will never happen because: 1. If I work for someone I'm prone to lazing off, hence an automatic dismissal. 2. I have chosen to avoid stage 1 by thinking up business ideas and saving up capital towards them.
Re: Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! by femmyapson(m): 8:05am On Mar 08, 2020
betterpikinn:
U don work there b4?
Do you think we are sucking breast here.. bros you lack exposure. As a man think, so he will be Biko sit with your 65k job and stop disturbing me here abeg

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (29) (Reply)

Salary Structure Of Nigerian Lecturers: Annual Salary Of Nigerian Lecturers / Salary Range Of Microfinance Bank Workers / Sacked Chicken Republic Dancers At A University In Cyprus (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.