Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,600 members, 7,809,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered (67718 Views)

70-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Sitting On A Nest Of Eggs Found In China (Photos) / 4-Year-Old Girl Finds 220-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur Print On UK Beach (Photos) / 110-Million-Year-Old Dinosaur's Last Meal Found Preserved In It's Stomach (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 12, 2020
Traces of the large herbivore dinosaurs were found after a team of paleontologists from the University of Edinburgh uncovered 50 footprints from the stegosaurus on the island

Scientists have discovered one of the world’s oldest fossil records on the Isle of Skye - revealing the stegosaurus roamed the island 170 million years ago.

Traces of the large herbivore dinosaurs were found after a team of paleontologists from the University of Edinburgh uncovered 50 footprints on the island.

It is believed the creatures, which could grow to almost 30 feet long and weigh more than six tonnes, called the scenic island home during the Jurassic period.

Palaeontologists discovered a short sequence of distinctive, oval footprints and handprints belonging to a stegosaurus.

They were left by a young animal or a small-bodied member of the stegosaurus family as it ambled across the island.

The site on the island’s north-east coast was at the time a mudflat on the edge of a shallow lagoon on a long-lost island in the Atlantic and contains a mixture of footprints.

It reveals dinosaurs on Skye - 'one of the best places in the world' for examining dinosaur evolution - were more diverse than previously thought.

The discovery means that the site at Brothers’ Point - called Rubha nam Brathairean in Gaelic - is now recognised as one of the oldest-known fossil records of this dinosaur group found anywhere in the world.

Skye is one of the few places in the world where fossils from the Middle Jurassic period can be found.

Discoveries on the island have provided scientists with vital clues about the early evolution of major dinosaur groups, including huge, long-necked sauropods and fierce, meat-eating cousins of Tyrannosaurus rex.

The study also involved scientists from National Museums Scotland, University of Glasgow, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, and the Staffin Museum.

Paige dePolo, a PhD student at the University of Edinburgh’s School of GeoSciences, said: “These new track sites help us get a better sense of the variety of dinosaurs that lived near the coast of Skye during the Middle Jurassic than what we can glean from the island's body fossil record.

Skye is one of the few places in the world where fossils from the Middle Jurassic period can be found.

Discoveries on the island have provided scientists with vital clues about the early evolution of major dinosaur groups, including huge, long-necked sauropods and fierce, meat-eating cousins of Tyrannosaurus rex.

The study also involved scientists from National Museums Scotland, University of Glasgow, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, and the Staffin Museum.

Paige dePolo, a PhD student at the University of Edinburgh’s School of GeoSciences, said: “These new track sites help us get a better sense of the variety of dinosaurs that lived near the coast of Skye during the Middle Jurassic than what we can glean from the island's body fossil record.

Source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/science/scientists-find-170-million-year-21674711

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by seunlayi(m): 9:43am On Mar 12, 2020
Weldone but intensify your effort towards discovery of corona virus cure before man will become another dinosaur

Fct dedicated to my friend Tobisco for adding another year today 12/3/2020

30yrs is a goal

359 Likes 15 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by kestolove95(m): 10:03am On Mar 12, 2020
Dix dinosaur tin na just fallacy, nothing like dat existed

95 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by ReneeNuttall(f): 11:06am On Mar 12, 2020
My qstn is,How do they discover these things?Cuz we were told Rhinos ,Dino's,And stygos existed millions of years ago,even though the Bible said the world started existing thousands of years ago.And these scientists were non existent then.

For all I can imagine that could be a Print of maybe a stone or an object that once landed there during a volcanic eruption.I'm just thinking out loud.

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 12, 2020
ReneeNuttall:
My qstn is,How do they discover these things?Cuz we were told Rhinos ,Dino's,And stygos existed millions of years ago,even though the Bible said the world started existing thousands of years ago.And these scientists were non existent then.

For all I can imagine that could be a Print of maybe a stone or an object that once landed there during a volcanic eruption.I'm just thinking out loud.
You may be right though, but scientists always try to provide factual proofs even though not 100% and some Bible stories require 'deep thinking' as all may not have been 100% true or translated 100% without some modifications or human errors

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Xcelinteriors(f): 1:21pm On Mar 12, 2020
Waow

I have beautiful designs of wallpaper at 2500 per roll. Check my signature for pictures

1 Like

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Ashawoboi27(m): 1:22pm On Mar 12, 2020
It does not exis6

6 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Kingv(m): 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2020
Make una no start another experiment, come introduce

COVID-20

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Nobody: 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2020
Dinosaurs are wicked animals for going extinct especially now theres hunger in the land! Leaving we nigerians to eat only snakes and crocodiles

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by yebba(m): 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2020
me i dont understand o. who has being doing the counting all along. grin grin grin grin grin

IN OTHER NEWS,
WOULD YOU LIKE TO EARN EXTRA ₦ 60,000 MONTHLY WITH YOUR SMARTPHONE?
IF INTERESTED, SEE MY SIGNATURE/PROFILE FOR INSTRUCTION OR CHECK OUT smartphoneincome_ on IG and click the link on the bio

3 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by mrZENographer: 1:23pm On Mar 12, 2020
Hay

1 Like

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by mrZENographer: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by sotall(m): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
undecided

1 Like

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by darlenese(f): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
maybe he is the father of corona virus , he is looking for his child .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by ToluNazzal: 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
All lies. They are always fond of finding one thing or the other to stay relevant.

Guys, pls rate my Youtube channel

Here's my First Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZuUXHBzSA

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by seunmohmoh(f): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
Naso
Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by lasmile(f): 1:24pm On Mar 12, 2020
How do they calculate these years?

3 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by NigPatriot(m): 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2020
lasmile:

;

Read about MRI bone testing. It's also used in football.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Emu4life(m): 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2020
I strongly believe in SCIENCE but some things are better left unsaid.

3 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Gtgfcg: 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2020
Macsjebs:

You may be right though, but scientists always try to provide factual proofs even though not 100% and some Bible stories require 'deep thinking' as all may not have been 100% true or translated 100% without some modifications or human errors

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by HappyPagan: 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2020
Macsjebs:

...some Bible stories require 'deep thinking' as all may not have been 100% true ...
What kind of 'deep thinking'?

1 Like

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Slawormir: 1:25pm On Mar 12, 2020
Damnnnnn niggarrr

Nice discovery

All these reminds me of the movie " Jurassic park"

2 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Kingv(m): 1:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
lasmile:

Using Relative and or Absolute dating
Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by mrZENographer: 1:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
seunlayi:
Weldone but intensify your effort towards discovery of corona virus cure before man will become another dinosaur

Even if there is a cure, it will be used to globalize the world or bring about the New World Order that the goal of the Vatican Pope, U.N, Billgates.
And they have been pushing for a NWO agenda which they say should be acomplished on or before 2030.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by helinues: 1:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
Ok
Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by seborrhic: 1:26pm On Mar 12, 2020
Is it that these dinosaurs didn't tranverse Africa because all these findings have majorly been in the West?
Or is it just our lack of scientific approach to things and proper paleontological research?

2 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Hintona(f): 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
lasmile:

Carbon dating

Modified: I have not seen any foot print o

5 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by Sultty(m): 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
What are the proofs,oyinbo mumu no be small

2 Likes

Re: 170-Million-Year-Old Stegosaurus Dinosaur Footprints On UK Island Discovered by bettyjones853(f): 1:27pm On Mar 12, 2020
wow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Carries Crocodile On Okada In Abeokuta! See Pics! / Two Monkeys Caught Swimming In Water Tanks After Being Left Open. Photos / World’s Worst Leopard Attacks As Pouncing Beasts Rip Off Victims(pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.