Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,157 members, 7,953,594 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 08:04 PM

Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? (55859 Views)

Result Controversy: ‘It’s Unfair, Not My Fault’, Mmesoma Says On JAMB 3-Year Ban / NSE Rewards 2020 Best JAMB Engineering Candidates With N16m (Photos) / Anambra University Lecturer Appears In Ph.d Class As ‘Transgender’ (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Eddygre8(m): 10:11am On Mar 26, 2020
I think the world has shifted from bagging degrees without skills to getting a sort professional skill

2 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by ugodean8485(f): 10:11am On Mar 26, 2020
What you have will not be enough. Even if you had enough, its not a good idea. Get your PhD in Nigeria, just ensure you make good grades, getting a job overseas won't be a serious issue.

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by GODWIN78(m): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
A woping sum of money,i,m running around to set up a poultry,no help,God is great.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by EgunMogaji2: 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
A complete waste of money. You asked.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by badblog: 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
Has your masters been useful ? .. If you haven’t worked and made good income with your masters then it’s pointless studying further...

Use 1/4 of the money and invest in a professional training that can get you instant job..

It’s not about your level of academic but what you make out of it...

Naturally for a hardworking person that is well focused, first degree and loads of professional job is enough to get you to the top...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Nobody: 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
Lol

16 M in trading would.be worth like 40m in same period
Better try germany and save your money

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by farady(m): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
OP N16m certainly won't be enough and you would be stranded and frustrated. Explore song it in other European countries like Germany and Austra where it's almost free and you will even be given some monthly stipends.

Oh boy calculate very well and don't be hasty.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by InvertedHammer: 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
/
Ph.D in what? All Ph.Ds are not equal. Some of these mushroom universities are giving out Ph.D or other useless degrees to foreigners as if it is going into extinction.

\

3 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by coolqayy(m): 10:12am On Mar 26, 2020
mofresh:
[][e gbe e gbe egbe gbe gbese gbese ....e don burst..
As in
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Bellotelli: 10:13am On Mar 26, 2020
Liorcadin:
[s][/s]
Wow.. You have a full time job here. Anyways, good luck to you cheesy

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Femeto: 10:13am On Mar 26, 2020
Go to South Africa instead similar education system with the UK and you would get funding for conferences and the rest. With 7 million you would be fine.

2 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by victorazyvictor(m): 10:13am On Mar 26, 2020
U get mind o! grin 16m

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by agborodun: 10:14am On Mar 26, 2020
CONTACT @THEILLUMANIA ON INSTAGRAM; YOU WILL SURELY GET FUNDING. THANK GOD THEREAFTER
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by tot(f): 10:14am On Mar 26, 2020
CoronaVirusPro:
16 what!

I die there!

Rather come to Nigeria and buy 4 PhD from Unilag, UI, OAU and FUTA

Highest I pay 4 million Naira each

16m for wetin. Na me kill Jesus

undecided undecided
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by LOVEGINO(m): 10:15am On Mar 26, 2020
U well so?

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by blackboy(m): 10:16am On Mar 26, 2020
Yes. Money on education is never a waste.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Sultannayef: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2020
ayoelegs:

My advice is simply this: PhD in UK is overrated. You can get the same degree in other European countries and you will be paid at least a 1000 euro monthly and not you paying. Example of such country is Germany, Portugal and Spain. They have English programmes and you don't need to worry. If you have to learn the language then do it. You can inbox me for more info.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by LOVEGINO(m): 10:16am On Mar 26, 2020
EgunMogaji2:
A complete waste of money. You asked.
no mind am

2 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2020
No
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by NaijadrivaCars: 10:16am On Mar 26, 2020
And when you are through, which job can you get to earn at least N500k monthly in Nigeria

Better go to Canada and forget Ph.D. @Trello
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by deltateam: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Hello everyone - I'm not quite sure whether this is the right section to post this.

Anyways, I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.

So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?

Thank you in advance!

Which course? Are you presently employed? Did they promise you employment at graduation?

If you are hoping to come back to secure a 'job' in Nigeria at graduation. You may be disappointed. Even if you finally manage to secure one here. Your salary for 20 years may not reach that #16 million.

We are talking of Corona, you are talking of abroad study? Like seriously?

Is this your imagination?

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by pennywys(m): 10:17am On Mar 26, 2020
post=87770686:
Normally, you should look at the salary scale of the people doing what you will get to be doing after you are through with your 3 years PhD program, juxtapose it and weigh your options if it is worth it.

That is the only reasonable thing we can advice you right now with the little information you gave up there.

All the very best.

Brother what exactly do you want to discover, Abi u wanna discover mongo park?

Abeg come join us here at the university of Port Harcourt
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2020
The minimum you need to cover your tuition and living expenses for a years programme is about 40m.

Go back and do your calculation.

Ir is not worth it. Why do you need foreign education and why the heck are you even going tp UK when you cab study online
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Asour: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2020
ayoelegs:

My advice is simply this: PhD in UK is overrated. You can get the same degree in other European countries and you will be paid at least a 1000 euro monthly and not you paying. Example of such country is Germany, Portugal and Spain. They have English programmes and you don't need to worry. If you have to learn the language then do it. You can inbox me for more info.

Nice. If you don't mind my asking, do you know about tuition in Russia (Msc). Programmes, say at St Petersburg University.
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by BriggsBryan: 10:17am On Mar 26, 2020
Please make further research as I fully understand that the average year fees for PhD is £13,500. Therefore, your 3 years fees will be £40,500.

Then, average shared apartment is £350/Month depending on the location. The total estimated rent for 3 years = £12,600.

Utilities, bus-pass and food estimated for 3 years = £18,000.

The total = £71,100 [N34 million]

However, you can do a part-time job of 20 hours/week @ £8.25/hour subject to increase. If you work for 3 years, your estimated income will be = £23,760. Also, the U.K. new immigration system will be friendly to you after your graduation.

If you have got a partner, he/she will bring in additional estimated income of = £43,200 within the 3 years. Also, your dependent children will have access to free education when they clock 5.

My advice: if you have got N16M for education, take a chance and thank me later.

7 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Sheriman(m): 10:18am On Mar 26, 2020
Abeg no waste your money on top one P.hd because if you do am finish better for you to get job in England or any of the European countries which I can't guarantee you.. at the same time don't ever dear to come to Nigeria looking for job except you are a Politician child or with Strong connection to Buhari office. You will just be carrying your PhD up and down behind one NIGERIAN useless Senator who has just ordinarily ND .. Bro think twice ooo!!! 16Million no be small money..
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by 6digitscomrade: 10:18am On Mar 26, 2020
Trello:
Hello everyone - I'm not quite sure whether this is the right section to post this.

Anyways, I currently hold a Master's degree and I also recently gained admission into a PhD program in a UK university but with no funding from the school and the estimated total cost of the tuition and living expenses amount to about #16 million for the 3 years.

So, I decided to come seek the opinion of folks here with better experience if it really worth spending this amount in the long run or should I rather invest this amount?

Thank you in advance!
u came to the right platform we have in abundance enough investors and elegushi spenders here needless to sing shanowole
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by being(m): 10:19am On Mar 26, 2020
That's throwing money down the drain I can tell you so confidently. What job do you think you 'll get after that that 'll compensate for that cost? Do you think you 'll be employed in the UK? Of course that's a low chance! Next thing is why are you even doing a Ph.D.?! If the answer isn't because you really have a passion for the academia/lecturing then you are simply wasting the time & resources. If otherwise, note that phd shouldn't cost your own money!! You should get assistantships & scholarships for it because there are a lot of it. You should go to Canada or some Scandinavian country for this. Whatever the case just note your 16M for studies in UK has zero ROI. What job will you get then that you can't get now? I'd rather you obtain the money and just even buy Treasury bills with it. And that's about 2M per annum income for u dude. Now I'm even sure you ve not considered that the amt will be much more than that because the pound naira rate will become more expensive due to oil price crash.
Trello:

Thank you in advance!

2 Likes

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by richPHAROAH: 10:19am On Mar 26, 2020
Mateen1000:
Anywayz I know you are lying lipsrsealed

But it doesn’t worth it undecided
With 16M you can relocate permanently to Switzerland or Romania or any other Average european country and live the best life while you work also.
this right here is a very poor bastard
Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by Nsarug80: 10:20am On Mar 26, 2020
I don't know the exchange rate you used to arrive at that N16M for a PhD program in the UK, but I'm very certain that you need not less than N30M to run a PhD in the UK.

Besides, you have a one year probation which prepares you for your research before you commence your PhD proper, and that makes it four years. Therefore, it is a four year program & not three. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

1 Like

Re: Is Spending N16M On A 3-Year Ph.D In The UK Worth It? by frog12: 10:20am On Mar 26, 2020
phd usually pay stipends and allowances and tuition is supposed to be free. better go take phd in nnigeria. should cost around 6million tops
phd usually pay stipends and allowances and tuition is supposed to be free. better go take phd in nnigeria. should cost around 6million tops

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Federal University Lokoja Staff Mock Outgoing VC With Obituary Posters / My Room Mates Brother Sleeps In A Weird Way! Should I Be Worried? (pictures) / 10 Signs Your School Fees & Four Years Was Wasted In The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.