Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,990 members, 7,828,498 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:38 AM

Name Change And Relationships - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Name Change And Relationships (701 Views)

Poll: Should a woman change her last name upon marriage?

Yes, Of Course!: 44% (4 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
No big deal!: 11% (1 vote)
Depends on the situation: 33% (3 votes)
She can add her maiden name with the married name: 11% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Domestic Violence And Relationships / Prophecy And Relationships / Inferiority Complex in Dating and Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Name Change And Relationships by MrsEve2(f): 6:38pm On Dec 28, 2010
Disclaimer: This could be silly, but I want to know why this is a big deal.

A co-worker came to work crying because her fiance won't marry her because she decided to keep her maiden name.  The fiance told her that she have disgraced his family and that she is no longer a wife prospect.  They have been dating for two years and engaged for six months.  She went to the family gathering to find out that she is no longer welcome and never to return.

Now, I find that highly sickening that a man wouldn't marry a woman that he claim is her soul mate because she won't change her name.  What is it with the name change?  Why is it so important that the woman must change her last name?  What if she want to honor her father name by keeping the maiden name?  Is that such an issue?

Why is IT such a big deal for a woman to change her last name?!
Re: Name Change And Relationships by livedit(f): 6:56pm On Dec 28, 2010
I would assume is because of a "respect" and religion tradition. Almost like a man wanting have a "son" first to carry on his name. That once you become married, you are spiritually joined as "one" unit.

I truly understand why it could be important to most, but to take this issue that far to say, "poof, be gone" because she disagreed with taking his name. Do you know if they would even compromise and let her hypenate her name? "Or was they flat out, oh you don't take my name, you not worthy of me. Hit the road?"

Honestly, I don't mind changing my last name. Also for the fact that I hate my current last name anyway. grin So it don't bother me!
Re: Name Change And Relationships by kokoye(m): 6:56pm On Dec 28, 2010
It is a big deal only for the people who choose to make it one.

And the number reason people do this is TRADITION - that's how it's been . . so some feel the trend should continue.

So it aint all for selfish reasons.

For me, it is not a big deal (happiness and peace in my household are more important to me). But that is just me - I cant force my opinion on other people.
Re: Name Change And Relationships by MrsEve2(f): 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2010
Heey Kokoye! I missed you kiss
Re: Name Change And Relationships by kokoye(m): 7:35pm On Dec 28, 2010
hey sweetie. kiss
Re: Name Change And Relationships by Carolece(f): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2010
kokoye:

It is a big deal only for the people who choose to make it one.

And the number reason people do this is TRADITION - that's how it's been . . so some feel the trend should continue.

So it aint all for selfish reasons.

For me, it is not a big deal (happiness and peace in my household are more important to me). But that is just me - I cant force my opinion on other people.

This would be more like it for me, if I ever plan to be the Mrs of anyone.
Re: Name Change And Relationships by kokoye(m): 5:05pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^^

You agreed with me (a man)

then there must be hope for all mankind
Re: Name Change And Relationships by iice(f): 6:03pm On Dec 29, 2010
Not/didn't/will not change my name.
Re: Name Change And Relationships by Youngpo413: 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2014
Carolece:

This would be more like it for me, if I ever plan to be the Mrs of anyone.
its not compulsory...
Re: Name Change And Relationships by quivah(f): 3:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
if my surname was cool and short .. i might not drop it..

but as e dey so, no way I'm keeping itundecided

the fact still remains, I'm my father's child!
Re: Name Change And Relationships by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
Well for me the name isn't important. If she like she may not share my name with me its none of my buisness. All i married her for is building our future,the future of the country together.

(1) (Reply)

Wat Wud U Do? / Should I Be More Patient With Her? / To The Guys In The House: Body Beauty Vs Facial Beauty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.