Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife - Culture (32) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife (39525 Views)

Abiriba Kingdom In Abia Holds 600-Year-Old ‘Itu Eye’ Ceremony In Grand Style / Nigerian Man Visits British Museum, Spots Stolen Benin Kingdom Artifacts. Photos / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 6:29pm On Apr 13, 2020
davidnazee:

No Great Benin wasn’t reduced to your shallow and foolish interpretation of “mere village”..
Scholars and historians agree that Benin only declined towards the end of 19th century due to British activities in the area.

The civil wars only resulted in a temporary setback and loss of territories for Benin but it quickly recovered from it after the wars and regained its territories and dominance over your Yoruba ancestors till towards the end of the 19th century..

Go and read it, it’s in the archives.

LIAR CAUGHT RED-HANDED. grin shocked grin shocked

My people let's see what scholars said below oo jarey: grin

"Towards the end of the seventeenth century, a number of European observers noted that THE EDO KINGDOM OF BENIN HAD BEEN RACKED FOR SOME YEARS BY CIVIL WAR. One of the longest accounts, that of David van Nyendael, reported that as a result of this civil war, BENIN CITY HAD BEEN SACKED AND IN HIS DAY ("1699-1701" ) WAS REDUCED TO A 'MERE VILLAGE'. shocked Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on well into the eighteenth century."

Reference:
Paula Ben-Amos Girshick and John Thornton, "Civil War in the Kingdom of Benin, 1689-1721: Continuity or Political Change?", Journal of African History, 42 (2001), pp.353-354.

Uncle why are you lying na!!?? ?? ?? grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 6:48pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

LIAR CAUGHT RED-HANDED. grin shocked grin shocked

My people let's see what scholars said below oo jarey: grin

"Towards the end of the seventeenth century, a number of European observers noted that THE EDO KINGDOM OF BENIN HAD BEEN RACKED FOR SOME YEARS BY CIVIL WAR. One of the longest accounts, that of David van Nyendael, reported that as a result of this civil war, BENIN CITY HAD BEEN SACKED AND IN HIS DAY ("1699-1701" ) WAS REDUCED TO A 'MERE VILLAGE'. shocked Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on well into the eighteenth century."

Reference:
Paula Ben-Amos Girshick and John Thornton, "Civil War in the Kingdom of Benin, 1689-1721: Continuity or Political Change?", Journal of African History, 42 (2001), pp.353-354.

Uncle why are you lying na!!?? ?? ?? grin grin grin grin

And the scholars also agreed that it was a temporary setback which Benin quickly recovered from and continued its dominance over Yorubaland..

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by SilverSniper: 6:59pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

(11) I admitted this but clarified that this could only have happened in the early beginnings or infancy years of Oyo --- a time where it also payed tributes to an historically-inconsequential kingdoms such as Owu-Yoruba in the south, and also to the Bariba in the North-west and Nupe in the North-East.

I argued that there was no evidence or traces of such tribute payment from Oyo to anyone as soon as it attained imperial status when it had been forced (by the Owu, Bariba, Nupe) to learn and perfect the art of war.

The three attachments below are from Robin Law's "Contemporary Source Material For the History of the Old Oyo Empire, 1627-1824" (the 2001 revised edition that was published as part of the York/UNESCO Nigerian Hinterland Project).

The first is a mention by Archibald Dalzel of tribute being paid to Nupe around 1790 after a major defeat.

The second is a later mention (by G.A. Robertson in Notes on Africa (1819) of (some of?) the Nupe and some other groups being tributary to Oyo later on (what Law calls a 'reversal' of the previous situation with respect to Nupe in a footnote), although that could actually be referring to an earlier state of affairs.

The third attachment is from Thomas Bowdich's comments about Oyo from 1819, where he states that he was told by an Oyo man that Oyo had a more powerful northern neighbour. Law (in footnote 333) interprets the name of that neighbour given in Bowdich's account as possibly referring to Nupe.

The issue of tribute payment probably just depended on what its real relative power was at a certain time.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 7:03pm On Apr 13, 2020
davidnazee:

And the scholars also agreed that it was a temporary setback which Benin quickly recovered from and continued its dominance over Yorubaland..

" ... Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on WELL into the eighteenth century."

Reference:

The expression above in bold does not look to any stable mind as a very short period of time. grin grin grin grin

And we are still waiting since last week for the evidence of your "audio dominance" grin grin grin

Also, remember to charge your phone oo cheesy

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

If you will not twist, not lie, and not take my statement out if its intended context (as you you've already done here for bigotry purposes), then why not.   ??

While I've been addressing all your contentions in full, there is one simple question that you've been consistently avoiding oo. See below: 

Is it true that the gReAt BeNiN kInGdOm was reduced to a MERE VILLAGE ?? ??

Please say No.  Don't disappoint gReAt BeNiN kInGdOm.
grin grin grin This one weak me ooo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 8:45pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

" ... Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on WELL into the eighteenth century."

Reference:

The expression above in bold does not look to any stable mind as a very short period of time. grin grin grin grin

And we are still waiting since last week for the evidence of your "audio dominance" grin grin grin

Also, remember to charge your phone oo cheesy
TAO11:

(11) I admitted this but clarified that this could only have happened in the early beginnings or infancy years of Oyo --- a time where it also payed tributes to an historically-inconsequential kingdoms such as Owu-Yoruba in the south, and also to the Bariba in the North-west and Nupe in the North-East.

I argued that there was no evidence or traces of such tribute payment from Oyo to anyone as soon as it attained imperial status when it had been forced (by the Owu, Bariba, Nupe) to learn and perfect the art of war.

Good to know Oyo used to be the weeping boy of all super powers and mediocre powers around.

1. Oyo paid tributes to Benin
2. Oyo paid tributes to Owo
3. Oyo paid tributes to Bariba
4. Oyo paid tributes to Nupe

Fulani permanently took ilorin from Oyo.

No wonder you guys are fixated with Benin to hide all these defeats.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 8:54pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

TAO11:

Good to know Oyo used to be the weeping boy of all super powers and mediocre powers around.

1. Oyo paid tributes to Benin
2. Oyo paid tributes to Owo
3. Oyo paid tributes to Bariba
4. Oyo paid tributes to Nupe

Fulani permanently took ilorin from Oyo.

No wonder you guys are fixated with Benin to hide all these defeats.

Benin paid tributes to Oyo as Crowther shows and as Johnson also shows.

Nupe also paid tributes to Oyo.

And Benin was reduced to a mere village.

Wake me up, whenever you have something new that you haven't already been flogged on.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 9:30pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

Benin paid tributes to Oyo as Crowther shows and as Johnson also shows.

Nupe also paid tributes to Oyo.

And Benin was reduced to a mere village.

Wake me up, whenever you have something new that you haven't already been flogged on.

See how ur “mere village” was described in 18th century at the end of the civil wars.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:02pm On Apr 13, 2020
davidnazee:

See how ur “mere village” was described in 18th century at the end of the civil wars.

Do you have any sense of dates at all?? ?? grin

I quoted you evidence showing that Benin Kingdom was was RACKED and GROUNDED BY civil war from around 1690 up until well into the 1700s

Yet you are here showing me what happened at the tail end of the 1700s --- 1790 to be precise.

In fact, point out one statement in that your attachment which shows that event described therein was not happening in a mere village. shocked

I actually just realized now that one of your Oba was a fvcking gambler. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 10:32pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

I quoted you evidence showing that Benin Kingdom was was RACKED and GROUNDED BY civil war from around 1690 up until well into the 1700s

Yet you are here showing me what happened at the tail end of the 1700s --- 1790 to be precise.

In fact, point out one statement in that your attachment which shows that event described therein was not happening in a mere village. shocked

I actually just realized now that one of your Oba was a fvcking gambler. grin grin cheesy cheesy

Just like ur present Ooni is a serial divorcee.. A man that cant keep a woman.
What kind of Ooni is that?
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 10:38pm On Apr 13, 2020
davidnazee:

Yes I can read it and I hope u are learned enough to know that Guinness records always update every year. Records are broken all the time.
As at 1974 it was regarded as the largest man made structure using earth work.
I believe it is still the largest of its kind.
what u are saying still doesn’t make sense. The fact that Guinness updates every year has no correlation to anything. Ur source to prove that it was the largest earth work clearly stated it once was before1974 so it isn’t anymore. So it’s already irrelevant to think it’s the biggest. Unless u read ur source in 1974 and we are in still in 1974 then it might but this is 2020.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 10:39pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

Look at the way you are quoting Benin history dates of over 600 years and you tell me you are not mesmerised by Benin.

You are building career around Benin history, reeling out dates and you tell me you are not in love with Benin history.

For over a week now, you have been fixated day and night on Benin history even when other of your supporters have all run away. Benin is like opium that gets you high and turns you on.

I doubt if you even know your history and Yoruba history this way....sorry nothing was really recorded about Ife around the same time when Benin was wining and dining Europeans with lavish bouquets which were complimented with entertainments.

Ife hadn't yet been invented.

One can just imagine our impressive Benin would have been between 1400s to 1897 that make the European keep visiting and writing wonderful stories about the city.

Any city that attaches the appellation city to it's name is fake and counterfeit.

Benin City remains the authentic City. Infact Benin is not complete without city being added to the name.

They called the place city before Nigeria even know the meaning of the word.

Benin was the only place early Europeans visited that was fit to be called a city in West Africa.

Irrespective of how you try to downplay these events, you are unwittingly helping to showcase Benin history to our audience, especially the younger ones that these information are new to.

Davidnazee and Gregyboy, great job for all the lectures you are giving TAO11 and her other comrades who are also silently learning on the background.

Good job guys.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 10:50pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

[s]Look at the way you are quoting Benin history dates of over 600 years and you tell me you are not mesmerised by Benin.

You are building career around Benin history, reeling out dates and you tell me you are not in love with Benin history.

For over a week now, you have been fixated day and night on Benin history even when other of your supporters have all run away. Benin is like opium that gets you high and turns you on.

I doubt if you even know your history and Yoruba history this way....sorry nothing was really recorded about Ife around the same time when Benin was wining and dining Europeans with lavish bouquets which were complimented with entertainments.

Ife hadn't yet been invented.

One can just imagine our impressive Benin would have been between 1400s to 1897 that make the European keep visiting and writing wonderful these about the city.

All city that attracted the appellation city to it's name is fake and counterfeit.

Benin City remains the authentic City. Infact Benin is not complete with city being added to the name.

They called the place city before Nigeria even know the meaning of the word.

Benin was the only place early Europeans visited that was fit to be called a city in West Africa.

Irrespective of how you try to downplay these events, you are unwittingly helping to showcase Benin history to our audience, especially the younger ones that these information are new to.

Davidnazee and Gregyboy, great job for all the lectures you are giving TAO11 and her other comrades who are also silently learning on the background.
Good job guys.[/s]

I know those dates to help you Benin start living life in the real world.

You all seem to have been caged into some fairy-tale world of Benin delusions.

Thanks to my 'knowledge' of "bEnIn HiStOrY dAtEs" that has been removing chains from your necks.

If not for me you will still be here screaming at the top of your voice: according to Guinness World Records, the largest ancient man-made is bEnIn wAlLs. grin cheesy grin

As well as screaming: Oba owns the land from Benin to Europe. grin cheesy cheesy

If Queen com slap Oba now, una go say she wicked!!!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by Moneywomen17(m): 10:58pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

Thanks to my 'knowledge' of "bEnIn HiStOrY dAtEs" that has been removing chains from your necks.

If not for me you will still be here screaming at the top of your voice: according to Guinness World Records, the largest ancient man-made is bEnIn wAlLs. grin cheesy grin

As well as screaming: Oba owns the land from Benin to Europe. grin cheesy cheesy

If Queen com slap Oba now, una go say she wicked!!! grin
u be one woman mopol. D way u Dey destroy dis Benin boys. Dem go have nightmares oo. The only person wey get sense among dem small na silversniper

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 11:00pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

If Queen com slap Oba now, una go say she wicked!!! grin

Irrespective of what you say, most aspects of the history of Benin, especially the classical Benin cannot be fabricated.

I wonder how you feel when you remember this...oh I forgot you actually claim to have more stake in the Benin project than some of us. It must be very soothing to you.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 11:04pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

[s]Irrespective of what you say, most aspects of the history of Benin, especially the classical Benin cannot be fabricated.

I would like to how you feel when you remember this...oh I forgot you actually claim to have more stake in the Benin project than some of us. It must be very soothing to you.[/s]

Who fabricated 'izoduwa' ?

Who fabricated 'Guiness World Records' ?

Who fabricated the classical order of Benin Obas in 2016 ?

I can go on and on, ...
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 11:14pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

...Ife hadn't yet been invented...

I killed the above lie before, but I just noticed now that you're desperate to ressurect it, although in vain.

In a 1969 report of a preliminary archaeological survey of Ife, Paul Ozanne shows that evidence shows that many settlements have been established in Ife since at least the 4th centuryBC.

Reference: 
Paul Ozanne: "A Preliminary Report of an Archaeological Survey of Ife"; also "A New Archaeological Survey of Ife," Odu, new series, 1, 1969, pp.131-148.

Show me ANYTHING EARLIER from Benin Kingdom. I challenge all Benin LIARS.

Una go hear word by force. grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 11:15pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

This your “mere village” that was fighting a civil war was still able to keep your forefathers under control during the years it was fighting its wars. The civil wars did not diminish our power over Yorubaland as the document below suggests.

Isn’t it wonderful that a mere village ravaged by civil wars was still defeating Yorubas and maintaining its sovereignty over them lol.

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 11:28pm On Apr 13, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]This your “mere village” that was fighting a civil war was still able to keep your forefathers under control during the years it was fighting its wars. The civil wars did not diminish our power over Yorubaland as the document below suggests.

Isn’t it wonderful that a mere village ravaged by civil wars was still defeating Yorubas and maintaining its sovereignty over them lol.[/s]

Benin was SACKED and became a MERE VILLAGE is what the scholars submitted.

In other words, Benin became deserted by its people.

In other words, its people got absorbed as refugees into neighbouring communities and adjacent towns/kingdoms.

It is from there that they could possibly have continued their infamous attacks on others peace-loving people, some of who may even be their host.

It is in (at least) three of such attacks on other peace-loving people that I noted that Benin kingdom was disgraced --- at least twice by Owo, and at least once by Otun-Ekiti.

grin grin
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 11:34pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

I killed the above lie before, but I just noticed now that you're desperate to ressurect it, although in vain.

In a 1969 report of a preliminary archaeological survey of Ife, Paul Ozanne shows that evidence shows that many settlements have been established in Ife since at least the 4th centuryBC.

Reference: 
Paul Ozanne: "A Preliminary Report of an Archaeological Survey of Ife"; also "A New Archaeological Survey of Ife," Odu, new series, 1, 1969, pp.131-148.

Show me ANYTHING EARLIER from Benin Kingdom. I challenge all Benin LIARS.

Una go hear word by force. grin grin

You are smart enough to know that humanity started in Africa and archaeological surveys of most parts of Africa would probably reveal settlement that are old as thousands of years.

So archaeological surveys of any African village means very little compared to the discovery of actual flourishing civilisation and a functioning society with advanced and complex systems of government.

Such civilisation was what was witnessed and recorded in Benin by Europeans 600 years ago not some dirt and stones that were dug out of the ground in Ife in 1969.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by AreaFada2: 11:50pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

You are smart enough to know that humanity started in Africa and archaeological surveys of most parts of Africa would probably reveal settlement that are old as thousands of years.

So archaeological surveys of any African village means very little compared to the discovery of actual flourishing civilisation and a functioning society with advanced and complex systems of government.

Such civilisation was what was witnessed and recorded in Benin by Europeans 600 years ago not some dirt and stones that were dug out of the ground in Ife in 1969.

What she forgets is that new discoveries push the boundaries of knowledge and we know very little about the world still.

A few decades back a molecular biology prof would stride in the auditorium confident about the "Central Dogma of Molecular Biology": DNA makes RNA makes protein. Let this be your take away message if anything, he would say.

Then came retroviruses like HIV and rubbished that dogma.

People interpret the Bible to suggest that humans are only 6,000 years old. But human fossils found in the Afar Region of Ethiopia have rubbished that. Man has been way over 100,000 years earlier.

But here they think they already know it all because of some publications.

I have argued my point for about 9 years here. I have no time to dissipate on "generation after generation" of them.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 11:51pm On Apr 13, 2020
samuk:

[s]You are smart enough to know that humanity started in Africa and archaeological surveys of most parts of Africa would probably reveal settlement that are old as thousands of years.

Such civilisation was what was witnessed and recorded in Benin by Europeans not some dirt and stones that were dug out of the ground in Ife.[/s]

AreaFada2:

[s]What she forgets is that new discoveries push the boundaries of knowledge and we know very little about the world still.

A few decades back a molecular biologist would stride in the auditorium about Central Dogma of Molecular Biology: DNA makes RNA makes protein. Let this be your take away message if anything.

Then came retroviruses like HIV and rubbished that dogma. While people interpret the Bible to suggest humans are only 6,000 years old. But human fossils found in Afar Region of Ethiopia has rubbished that. Man has been way over 100,000 years earlier.

But here they think they already know it all because of some publications.[/s]

Thank God you just admitted to have lied when you once boldly suggested that Benin is older than Ife.

I'm glad you just ate it back that there is no such result from Benin.

Moreover, the earlier an establishment of a group of people, the more the productive capacity of the group as compared to new comers.

Having said that, the dating result from Ife to at least 4th century BC specifically mentions that "many settlements" were already established in Ife at the time.

So, now remove the village picture that clogged your mind about Ife at that early date, and stamp it on Benin at that early date. Good boy! grin grin

Now regarding your merry-go-round imaginations, name me one fairy tale civilization and functioning society in Benin at any date (with evidence oo --- not audio like your lie about Guinness World Records grin), that has not being achieved by Ife centuries before.

Let's go!

Anyone how you spin it, Benin is baby. I'm waiting!!
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by AreaFada2: 11:58pm On Apr 13, 2020
TAO11:

Thank God you just admitted to have lied when you once boldly suggested that Benin is older than Ife.

I'm glad you just ate it back that there is no such result from Benin.

Moreover, the earlier an establishment of a group of people, the more the productive capacity of the group as compared to new comers.

Having said that, the dating result from Ife to the 4th century BC specifically mentions that "many settlements" were already established in Ife at the time.

So, now remove the village picture that clogged your mind about Ife at that early date, and stamp it on Benin at that early date. Good boy! grin grin

Now regarding your merry-go-round imaginations, name me one fairy tale civilization and functioning society in Benin ar any date (with evidence oo --- not audio like your lie about Guinness grin), that has not being achieved by Ife centuries before.

Let's go!

Anyone how you spin it, Benin is baby. I'm waiting!!
Lie? What lie? Of course Benin is older than Ife. Not even close. Your audio 4BC Ife claim is every bit as audio as Lai Mohammed's "we have technically defeated Boko Haram". grin grin grin cheesy

I admit no such thing. I have argued this years back. I cannot be doing this with every upstart who comes along.

Do not call me a boy. I know you are disrespectful but do not go there. I briefly met Maj. Gen. Buhari as head of States in 1984. When he was touring Nigeria. So do not go there.

Something else: I grew up in a household of journalists and writers. People who wrote and lectured this history you are talking about. So I am not easily impressed by publications.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:04am On Apr 14, 2020
AreaFada2:

What she forgets is that new discoveries push the boundaries of knowledge and we know very little about the world still.

A few decades back a molecular biology prof would stride in the auditorium confident about the "Central Dogma of Molecular Biology": DNA makes RNA makes protein. Let this be your take away message if anything, he would say.

Then came retroviruses like HIV and rubbished that dogma.

People interpret the Bible to suggest that humans are only 6,000 years old. But human fossils found in the Afar Region of Ethiopia have rubbished that. Man has been way over 100,000 years earlier.

But here they think they already know it all because of some publications.

I have argued my point for about 9 years here. I have no time to dissipate on "generation after generation" of them.

The truth is most of them can't reason and think at this level, education to them is the ability to write few sentences in English irrespective of how illogical and the use of uncouth and foul languages to compliment it.

Every now and then, their less informed supporters will resurrect from nowhere to applaud them to keep them going.

I am just having a bit of fun to kill some boredom due to the lockdown.

2 Likes

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:04am On Apr 14, 2020
gregyboy:

Lets see the ife artwork that date 1060....

So you can masturbate with it?? ?? grin If not, oya tell me why. grin

Afterall you already admitted that the academic journal did publish the dating result of 1060 for an Ife artefact among many other results for other artefacts.

Don't worry, I understand you're only saving face from how I disgraced you publicly.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by AreaFada2: 12:06am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

The truth is most of them can't reason and think at this level, education to them is the ability to write few sentences in English irrespective of how illogical and the use of uncouth and foul languages.

Every now and then, their less informed supporters will resurrect from nowhere to applaud them to keep them going.

I am just having a bit of fun to kill some boredom due to the lockdown.

Lol. Lucky you. Sadly I am one of those working flat out at this period. God help us.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:09am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

[s]The truth is most of them can't reason and think at this level, education to them is the ability to write few sentences in English irrespective of how illogical and the use of uncouth and foul languages to compliment it.

I am just having a bit of fun to kill some boredom due to the lockdown.[/s]

AreaFada2:

[s]Lie? What lie? Of course Benin is older than Ife. Not even close. Your audio 4BC Ife claim is every bit as audio as Lai Mohammed's "we have technically defeated Boko Haram". grin grin grin cheesy

I admit no such thing. I have argued this years back. I cannot be doing this with every upstart who comes along.

Do not call me a boy. I know you are disrespectful but do not go there. I briefly met Maj. Gen. Buhari as head of States in 1984. When he was touring Nigeria. So do not go there.

Something else: I grew up in a household of journalists and writers. People who wrote and lectured this history you are talking about. So I am not easily impressed by publications. [/s]

Me: Ife dates to at least 4century BC. And cites reference to the 1969 report of the archaeological survey of Ife.

You: Benin is older oo. And cites .... errrrm .... nothing ... oh... cites his imagination.

Sane Observer: Who be this AreaFada2 abi Ofada?? Abeg go quarantine jor. grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:11am On Apr 14, 2020
AreaFada2:

Lol. Lucky you. Sadly I am one of those working flat out at this period. God help us.

Amen and keep safe while you do your bit for humanity.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by davidnazee: 12:11am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Benin was SACKED and became a MERE VILLAGE is what the scholars submitted.

In other words, Benin became deserted by its people.

In other words, its people got absorbed as refugees into neighbouring communities and adjacent towns/kingdoms.

It is from there that they could possibly have continued their infamous attacks on others peace-loving people, some of who may even be their host.

It is in (at least) three of such attacks on other peace-loving people that I noted that Benin kingdom was disgraced --- at least twice by Owo, and at least once by Otun-Ekiti.

grin grin

Lol.. consoling yourself abi..
We all know the only Kingdoms on record to have been abandoned and deserted, left in ruins by its people is Oyo and Ife. Oyo after the Nupe invasion and Ife was twice abandoned and deserted by its people in the 18th and 17th centuries.

Which owo and Ekiti defeated mighty Benin lol. Is it the ones described in the documents below?

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by samuk: 12:15am On Apr 14, 2020
TAO11:

Me: Ife dates to at least 4century BC. And cites reference to the 1969 report of the Ife survey.

You: Benin is older oo. And cites .... errrrm .... nothing ... oh... cites his imagination.

Sane Observer: Who be this AreaFada2 abi Ofada?? Abeg go quarantine jor. grin grin

Your attitude and mannerism reminds me of Fuke Akindele and Oshodin Oke in the Yoruba movie Omo Ghetto. You are real Omo Ghetto.

1 Like

Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:16am On Apr 14, 2020
davidnazee:

[s]Lol.. consoling yourself abi..
We all know the only Kingdoms on record to have been abandoned and deserted, left in ruins by its people is Oyo and Ife. Oyo after the Nupe invasion and Ife was twice abandoned and deserted by its people in the 18th and 17th centuries.

Which owo and Ekiti defeated mighty Benin lol. Is it the ones described in the documents below?[/s]

Why are you lying na? embarassed embarassed embarassed

Scholars already documented in the same article you're attaching oo that:

"Towards the end of the seventeenth century, a number of European observers noted that the Edo Kingdom of Benin had been racked for some years by civi war. One of the longest accounts, that of David van Nyendael, reported that as a result of this civil war, Benin City had been sacked and in his day ("1699 -1701" ) was reduced to a 'mere village'. Apparently beginning shortly before 1690, the civil war stretched on well into the eighteenth century."

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Moreover, there is no reason why Ekiti should win ALL its battles against Benin. Don't you think they should loose some? Win some - Loose some.
Re: Benin Kingdom In Edo State Remained Part Of The Expansive Yoruba - Ooni Of Ife by TAO11(f): 12:22am On Apr 14, 2020
samuk:

[s]Your attitude and mannerism reminds me of Fuke Akindele and Oshodin Oke in the Yoruba movie Omo Ghetto. You are real Omo Ghetto.[/s]

Wehdone sir! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) ... (52) (Reply)

Man Carrying A Live Crocodile On His Back At A Festival In Kano (Photos) / Huge Crowd At Osun-Osogbo Festival (Photos) / Royal Family Rejects Abdulwasiu Gbolahan Lawal As New Oniru Of Iruland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.