Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,269 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare (96487 Views)

How Jumoke Hospital Lagos ‘Mistakenly’ Employed 2 Jobless Men As Medical Doctors / COVID-19: Inside Gbagada General Hospital's Isolation Centre (Video) / Sanwo-Olu Comissions 118-Bed Isolation Center At Gbagada General Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:48am On Mar 29, 2020
TOPCRUISE:
No body wants to be his brother keeper at this time. Imagine health workers like this doing the unthinkable.
Those Egyptians fvck up. They should have ran towards them screaming help us like zombies and force themselves on the hospital beds. Those nurses that told them to go to IDH will be forced to call IDH emergency lines. sad
It would be more interesting if those healthworkers are your family members, siblings and parents!! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 29, 2020
Angelfrost:

It's your choice to misconstrue or misinterpret simple explanations...

But, let me reiterate for your benefit and that of others... You can't and don't fight battles from a position of disadvantage.

Trained firefighters across the universe are taught one very basic and important survival lesson or maxim: Safeguard yourself first before moving to safeguard others!!! This applies to the medical and nursing profession... You don't jump into fire unprotected just to prove a point of empathy...

It would be very foolhardy and stupid for a trained medical staff to treat a contagiously infected individual without proper fullproof protective gear... Most hospitals in Nigeria today are not equipped to handle this pandemic... How hard can this be for y'all to process??!

Over 50 years ago, patients came into a certian mission hospital with fever, vomitting of blood and weakness....and the mission doctors and nurses treated them, no PPE, nothing. Two nurses, and eventually the doctor died.

The doctor's name was Dr Jeanette . M . Troup. You may not know her, but she helped treat and wrote the first case notes on what was a new disease...Lassa fever., and who died after catching the illness

(For more info see here)

I understand what you are saying here. In medicine, if we are not equipped, we refer. But I cannot in good conscience condone what these doctors and nurses did...and yes, I am a doctor myself.

If a corona virus patient comes , and I don't have the PPE...I will do my best , wear a mask, and some gowns (even if it means improvising with a thrash bag and gloves, as some of my fellow docs in the US have done)...and treat him.

We cannot run away from patients because we are scared.

And yes, it is sad that this government has not equipped hospitals, and keeps on making promises that it cannot keep. But sick patients don't wait for promises...they want help...and it is still our job to give them help.

Just as Dr Adaevoh did.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:49am On Mar 29, 2020
Kingscee:
The zoo doctors and nurses running away from patients they paid to protect, what a country, covik country covik president and covik people
Zoo keyboard warrior is typing like a Saint!!! undecided

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by kingthreat(m): 11:51am On Mar 29, 2020
Onebottle:

Go and close the hospital na
Which equipment have you given gdh
Didnt you hear them saying here is not IDH
Make them take malaria drug fight coro?

It could be you with Covid tomorrow. How would you feel if those that could save you run from you

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:51am On Mar 29, 2020
larryking540:

I still don't get it ,why are so much wealth men and women having this infections?

Is that they all took a particular med while they went abroad for their medical check up ,
There could be different reasons. One I strongly suspect is that they are the ones that are tested the most. The poor man on the street isn't usually given high priority when it comes to testing.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:52am On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Am a health care worker.

If I find myself behaving the way those health care workers behaved....I'll go home, burn my certificates, and resign from my job..because I am not fit to be a health care worker.
You have Suicide tendency undecided

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Angelfrost(m): 11:52am On Mar 29, 2020
uruba23:

May i remind you of your oath.You should be happy Coro is coming to the rescue...Now government would be force to invest in the health sector.

Honestly, it won't cost them anything to equip every major hospital within a day and a half...

So, why have they not done this at this time??! Simple answer: Cos they don't care about you and your loved ones... They don't care about the millions of people who voted them in.

This nation is done and dusted sir!!!... A nation in the midst of such crisis, yet not even ordinary face masks were made compulsorily available to at least half of the citizens... Do you think it would cost them anything to procure these things nationwide??! Nah.... They just don't care!!!

4 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by adidison(m): 11:53am On Mar 29, 2020
How do they know they are Egyptians? For this thing to have gotten this bad those useless people waited for too long. They most have infected some people (who have infected people who have infected people) which is why I have been shouting lock down since ... God luck Nigeria.

People who are abusing the hospital should keep quiet Abeg! Government should provide every hospital with safety kits especially at emergency and 1st responders who can direct patients to a proper hospital.

Hope they disinfected the hospital after that.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:53am On Mar 29, 2020
larryking540:

I still don't get it ,why are so much wealth men and women having this infections?

Is that they all took a particular med while they went abroad for their medical check up ,

Wealthy people are more likely to travel than poor people...and Nigeria is no exception.

Most of the cases in Nigeria are from people who travelled abroad and came back. As things stand...for now, most poor people may not get this illness.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Over 50 years ago, patients came into a certian mission hospital with fever, vomitting of blood and weakness....and the mission doctors and nurses treated them, no PPE, nothing. Two nurses, and eventually the doctor died.

The doctor's name was Dr Jeanette . M . Troup. You may not know her, but she helped treat and wrote the first case notes on what was a new disease...Lassa fever., and who died after catching the illness

(For more info see here)

I understand what you are saying here. In medicine, if we are not equipped, we refer. But I cannot in good conscience condone what these doctors and nurses did...and yes, I am a doctor myself.

If a corona virus patient comes , and I don't have the PPE...I will do my best , wear a mask, and some gowns (even if it means improvising with a thrash bag and gloves, as some of my fellow docs in the US have done)...and treat him.

We cannot run away from patients because we are scared.

And yes, it is sad that this government has not equipped hospitals, and keeps on making promises that it cannot keep. But sick patients don't wait for promises...they want help...and it is still our job to give them help.

Just as Dr Adaevoh did.
You have Suicide tendency tho!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 29, 2020
Angelfrost:

Honestly, it won't cost them anything to equip every major hospital within a day and a half...

So, why have they not done this at this time??! Simple answer: Cos they don't care about you and your loved ones... They don't care about the millions of people who voted them in.

This nation is done and dusted sir!!!... A nation in the midst of such crisis, yet not even ordinary face masks were made compulsorily available to at least half of the citizens... Do you think it would cost them anything to procure these things nationwide??! Nah.... They just don't care!!!

Well you are right,but the fact that they don t care doesnt mean we have to adopt their character.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 29, 2020
Jaqenhghar:

So running and shouting like an illiterate is professional behaviour to you.

Running and shouting like illiterate is another thing. Of course that is not professional. My point is if the staff feel they are not adequately equipped to treat a covid-19 patient they can reject such patient. Going ahead to accept him without enough PPE is putting their lives and others at the hospital at risk. If they have been trained to handle this then they have no reason to reject.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:57am On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
You have Suicide tendency undecided

And if you had a contagious illness and you came to me for treatment, you would clap for me if I and my colleagues run away from you and refuse to treat you because of your contagious illness.

That we know so much about certain illnesses and their treatment is because medical people were willing to take the risk and treat people with some contagious illnesses.

When I became a doctor, I knew I was already dead. How it will happen is up to God. But I am not going to run away from any sick patient that it is within my capability to offer some help, and if I can't(or overruled by my superiors) I refer.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by bjgurl(f): 11:58am On Mar 29, 2020
Lord have mercy on us
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Fragility6: 11:59am On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:
That hospital should be called out and closed up with immediate effect. My mom was right when she told me last night that she fears doctors and nurses fleeing when the numbers increases in Nigeria because Nigerians lack good working attitude.
Imagine ‘This is Coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion!’ Whose portion is it Mtchewwwwww

Modified- Professional Illiterates everywhere.
Madam have you seen the equipments dey are working with? Why won't dey run. Can u work in a factory wit no proper safety procedures? Attimes lets be sincere with ourselves in judgement not talking with emotions...

PS: They didn't sign to offer thier lives as sacrificial lambs. In a sane society, proper working equipments are given to thier health workers not the opposite we ses in Nigeria.

My dear,its not always about poor working attitude

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by sammhi(m): 11:59am On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:
That hospital should be called out and closed up with immediate effect. My mom was right when she told me last night that she fears doctors and nurses fleeing when the numbers increases in Nigeria because Nigerians lack good working attitude.
Imagine ‘This is Coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion!’ Whose portion is it Mtchewwwwww

Doctors would flee .. they are humans too.
If you want doctors to fight it then give them PPE ..Why should a doctor go with his bare naked clothes to treat infected patient ?
This is how Nigeria army would send soldiers to go fight BH wwith almost bare hands ...Each soldier would be given 20 Bullets to fight those with machine gun....Did you see the result?
Only a very foolish doctor would attend to Covid_19 patient without a PPE and even an isolation ward!
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
You have Suicide tendency tho!

See my answer up thread.

And no, I don't intend to leave this plane just yet...but in a way, death comes to all of us.

Anyway, if you have a contagious illness and you come to me, I will put you on drip, add antibiotics, and make sure you get better. It's my job. It's what I signed up for.

Plus, there are even worse contagions than coronavirus. Ebola , HIV etc is worse.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

And if you had a contagious illness and you came to me for treatment, you would clap for me if I and my colleagues run away from you and refuse to treat you because of your contagious illness.

That we know so much about certain illnesses and their treatment is because medical people were willing to take the risk and treat people with some contagious illnesses.

When I became a doctor, I knew I was already dead. How it will happen is up to God. But I am not going to run away from any sick patient that it is within my capability to offer some help, and if I can't(or overruled by my superiors) I refer.
That would be an altruistic Suicide!!
Keep it up!!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by VaselineCrew: 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
Na wa oo

see people saying that no health worker should take chance with corona virus in naija

so if it spreads to you, who will take care of you?
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
LimAnc:
Many of you are online ranting on how unprofessional those medical personal reacted but what you don't understand is that the hazard allowance of a Nigerian Dr. is between 5,000-10,000.. Infact if you get infected the system abandons you to your faith. If I was in there shoe. Na Ghost Mode oath or no oath..

And if you were the patient?
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by zikter(m): 12:00pm On Mar 29, 2020
YoungBlackRico:
So their first and only response is to be shouting "God forbid, Coronavirus is not my portion, security come and send them away"? Even if you won't let them disembark, why not turn them back(refer them to the right place) in a sensible and professional manner? Not surprised at y'all responses, it's how you guys act in your various places of work...it's in the blood. This is Nigeria...bunch of unprofessional idiots.
It is completely unbelievable that people are supporting this kind of unprofessional conduct. Even a first aider should not behave in this manner, let alone trained doctors and nurses. If this the way they are going to be behaving, then we are done. They should have personally led the way to IDH Yaba, ensuring the suspected case(s) are at the right place. I agree, Nigerians, especially most Govt. employees have pathetic attitude to work.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by supereagle(m): 12:01pm On Mar 29, 2020
Olodo24:
Are they not health workers? They're supposed to be brave. If every other health workers act like them, we are finished.
Do you want want them to risk their lives when they do not PPE? PPE is one of the basic thing we need to put on, but they are not available. Coro has exposed the inadequacies and inefficiencies of our governments.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:01pm On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:

...and they will start demanding for increase in pay

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Reference(m): 12:02pm On Mar 29, 2020
When sensible leadership guages the situation of a country he would have done the simplest thing, shut the borders.

When we said that Nigeria does not have the resources people think it is money alone and believed the falsehood of the Minister of Health.

What about human resources amongst many.. do we have enough medical professionals...what about the sub-set of equiping, training and motivating that human resource.

That vetting will reveal just fractions of the number of medical professionals available in Nigeria to fight the pandemic. How do you win by this.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:02pm On Mar 29, 2020
Onebottle:

With that unprofessional attitude do you think they will do the job even with the equipment.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jelzin2412(m): 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2020
Jelzin2412:

Well said except when you referred them as Idiots...lol.

My disappointment is not that they couldn't manage the patient cos obviously they are ill equipped for it but their level of unprofessionalism and defective knowledge of COVID-19 was very shameful and abhorrent. How on earth could they have treated a sick person like that And before anyone quote me; I'm a healthcare personnel too and that's very unprofessional of them...
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by VaselineCrew: 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2020
Onebottle:

so when IDH runs out of spaces, then what?

no more hospitals for the masses for corona virus?

this naija sha
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 29, 2020
Fragility6:

Madam have you seen the equipments dey are working with? Why won't dey run. Can u work in a factory wit no proper safety procedures? Attimes lets be sincere with ourselves in judgement not talking with emotions...

PS: They didn't sign to offer thier lives as sacrificial lambs. In a sane society, proper working equipments are given to thier health workers not the opposite we ses in Nigeria.

My dear,its not always about poor working attitude

Well, for most other diseases we treat in Nigeria, we don't have the proper working equipment or facilities

So, by your reasoning, we should turn away every sick patient because...no facilities?

Even for other contagious diseases.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

See my answer up thread.

And no, I don't intend to leave this plane just yet...but in a way, death comes to all of us.

Anyway, if you have a contagious illness and you come to me, I will put you on drip, add antibiotics, and make sure you get better. It's my job. It's what I signed up for.

Plus, there are even worse contagions than coronavirus. Ebola , HIV etc is worse.
Worse contagion than Coronavirus?? Where??

SARS?? MERS?? H1N1??
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
neutralmind:
This is what you get when you pay 5k as hazard allowance.
Bullshit. If pay was the measure for productivity, why are you legislators the most useless set of people on the planet? .l
Even if you pay the. 50m hazard allowance you will still get this behaviour

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Angel196(f): 12:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
Kingscee:
The zoo doctors and nurses running away from patients they paid to protect, what a country, covik country covik president and covik people
How much do you pay them? They have family who still need and depend on them and lots of patients who depend on them to survive and you expect them to approach patients who may likely have a highly contagious disease which has no cure without any protective gears or equipments they can use to treat them. If it was your dad or mom would you ask them to do such a foolish thing more so in a country like Nigeria that doesn't reward sacrifice? You have learn to carefully select your battles, run away from those you have no chance of winning. That's the case of covid 19 and poorly equiped medical practitioners.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by VaselineCrew: 12:04pm On Mar 29, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

That's how most of you talk stupidly without having the basic information.
Why not first ask if they have PPE in that hospital? I hope you know what PPE is?
Without it, no one has any business attending to a suspected case of Covid-19.
Most general hospitals in Nigeria don't even have hand gloves, let alone PPEs.
Your guys are ignorantly focusing on the health workers who are given nothing to work with, instead of on the government which has failed to equip the hospitals.

na wa, lets just hope naija doesn't reach 100s of thousands of cases

cause who will treat you? since you are already supporting hospitals turning away patients

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Rivers State Border Closure In Pictures / How Do U Wash Your Viginal Those Of You That Fix Long Nails / Ladies Stop Pushing Your Stomach To Your Bum (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.