Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:19 AM

Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare (96456 Views)

How Jumoke Hospital Lagos ‘Mistakenly’ Employed 2 Jobless Men As Medical Doctors / COVID-19: Inside Gbagada General Hospital's Isolation Centre (Video) / Sanwo-Olu Comissions 118-Bed Isolation Center At Gbagada General Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Angelfrost(m): 12:05pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Over 50 years ago, patients came into a certian mission hospital with fever, vomitting of blood and weakness....and the mission doctors and nurses treated them, no PPE, nothing. Two nurses, and eventually the doctor died.

The doctor's name was Dr Jeanette . M . Troup. You may not know her, but she helped treat and wrote the first case notes on what was a new disease...Lassa fever., and who died after catching the illness

(For more info see here)

I understand what you are saying here. In medicine, if we are not equipped, we refer. But I cannot in good conscience condone what these doctors and nurses did...and yes, I am a doctor myself.

If a corona virus patient comes , and I don't have the PPE...I will do my best , wear a mask, and some gowns (even if it means improvising with a thrash bag and gloves, as some of my fellow docs in the US have done)...and treat him.

We cannot run away from patients because we are scared.

And yes, it is sad that this government has not equipped hospitals, and keeps on making promises that it cannot keep. But sick patients don't wait for promises...they want help...and it is still our job to give them help.

Just as Dr Adaevoh did.

Dear esteemed colleague, I completely share your view on this matter, and would do the same too... But, I won't necessarily take issues with those who opt for self preservation first...

This is a contagion of global proportions... Some of these health workers have families, even young children, they return to daily... What about chances of infecting them??!... No matter how careful we think we are, we must be more cautious now... Except you isolate yourself for weeks after attending to these patients, which is not an option open to most of these health workers.

All in all, we can only do our best... It is well!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:05pm On Mar 29, 2020
atiku4President:

How much is their life insurance, if any? Let the Senators that collect Hazard allowance go and attend to them.
If you want to be like a senator then go into politics. If you feel as a docotr you are not compensated enough, quit the job and look for something else doing

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:06pm On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
Worse contagion than Coronavirus?? Where??

SARS?? MERS?? H1N1??

Ebola, MDR TB, Lassa ( we are currently in the midst of a lassa epidemic), leprosy, etc ,etc....

Lassa and its cousin Ebola are worse. A patient with COVID 19 is far likely to survive it than a patient with Lassa or Ebola.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by VaselineCrew: 12:07pm On Mar 29, 2020
YoungBlackRico:
So their first and only response is to be shouting "God forbid, Coronavirus is not my portion, security come and send them away"? Even if you won't let them disembark, why not turn them back(refer them to the right place) in a sensible and professional manner? Not surprised at y'all responses, it's how you guys act in your various places of work...it's in the blood. This is Nigeria...bunch of unprofessional idiots.

Don't mind them and people supporting them. So very unprofessional as in

but Nigerians can be heartless sha, see dem supporting such bad treatment of sick people as if they themselves can't or won't fall sick one day

maybe if it happened to them and while they were fatigued and being dragged to a closeby hospital, the workers there too reject them in the most crude manner, maybe thats when they'll learn to have some compassion

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:07pm On Mar 29, 2020
Olodo24:
Are they not health workers? They're supposed to be brave. If every other health workers act like them, we are finished.

The disregard Nigerians have for doctors is coming home to roost. In western nations doctors are the most highly paid professionals. In Nigeria, their reward is in heaven. Who will take care of their families if they die? On top of their poor remuneration.

This is on all of us. We were all promoting medical tourism. Now there is nowhere to go.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jimalicoco(m): 12:08pm On Mar 29, 2020
espn:
Lol...Someone said you have to be brave...be brave in this useless country and go to your early grave...ONLY WHEN THE SYSTEM IS WORKING YOU CAN DECIDE TO BE BRAVE...

I need to report some corrupt officials that have refused to give us light since we turned down there proposal to put us on a 33 KVA supply channel...They have thrown us into complete darkness since then while other estate we share same source of supply from still have constant light....Anyone with the right source...Link...email...social media handle...

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Fedpeters: 12:08pm On Mar 29, 2020
I don't blame them.I work with an FG here in Abuja and we were not provided with protective materials for weeks,inspite of the fact that we comes in contact with several people daily
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by VaselineCrew: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2020
I'm just shocked how Nigerians are endorsing this behaviour

may sickness not fall on your heads because of your inability to feel even an iota of compassion

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Farki: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:
That hospital should be called out and closed up with immediate effect. My mom was right when she told me last night that she fears doctors and nurses fleeing when the numbers increases in Nigeria because Nigerians lack good working attitude.
Imagine ‘This is Coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion!’ Whose portion is it Mtchewwwwww

Modified- Professional Illiterates everywhere.

No sir your post made no sense at all, if they lack the tools and equipment to treat the patient why would they expose themselves and other patients to the disease? Doctors around the world are dying right now because they were not adequately protected and worked themselves to death while sick.

Worse of all is your statement for a government hospital to close down, just how does that help anyone? undecided
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by propsvilla3: 12:09pm On Mar 29, 2020
Highest level of unprofessionalism and highly against the ethics of medical profession. On the hand I don't blame them, their counterpart over there are well equipped with preventive gears.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:10pm On Mar 29, 2020
Angelfrost:

Dear esteemed colleague, I completely share your view on this matter, and would do the same too... But, I won't necessarily take issues with those who opt for self preservation first...

This is a contagion of global proportions... Some of these health workers have families, even young children, they return to daily... What about chances of infecting them??!... No matter how careful we think we are, we must be more cautious now... Except you isolate yourself for weeks after attending to these patients, which is not an option open to most of these health workers.

All in all, we can only do our best... It is well!
Leave them. Where are the fooking engineers always saying there is nothing to medicine? Let them go and face the patients.

Yes the Rona is here. And we are going to face it with a health sector that has been neglected for decades. Welcome to the apocalypse.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by espn(m): 12:10pm On Mar 29, 2020
[quote author=Jimalicoco post=87885095][/quote]thanks bro
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
ChybuzzDD:

That's how most of you talk stupidly without having the basic information.
Why not first ask if they have PPE in that hospital? I hope you know what PPE is?
Without it, no one has any business attending to a suspected case of Covid-19.
Most general hospitals in Nigeria don't even have hand gloves, let alone PPEs.
Your guys are ignorantly focusing on the health workers who are given nothing to work with, instead of on the government which has failed to equip the hospitals.
Actually you are the one talking stupidly. Not having PPE is an excuse to spread panic in a hospital. Screaming and shouting is the best way to proceed when confronted with a case you are not equipped to handle abi?
The health worker didnt even do a test just saw people coughing and started screaming and running all over the place spreading panic. A so called professional
And how were the patients to know there was no PPE (whatever that means) when you are sick isnt it logical to just go to a hospital? SMH

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Farki: 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
Olodo24:
Are they not health workers? They're supposed to be brave. If every other health workers act like them, we are finished.

Doctors and nurses are people and not magicians, this isn't some movie where they can clap hands and heal patients without themselves getting sick or making others sick as well.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by adidison(m): 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Wealthy people are more likely to travel than poor people...and Nigeria is no exception.

Most of the cases in Nigeria are from people who travelled abroad and came back. As things stand...for now, most poor people may not get this illness.

That's like saying people who eat bat in Wuhan are most likely to get infected than vegetarians in Italy. But I know you have read what is happening in Italy. It's just 2 to 3 people it takes. Surely the rich have house boys and driver who do earns for them.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Ebola, MDR TB, Lassa ( we are currently in the midst of a lassa epidemic), leprosy, etc ,etc....

Lassa and its cousin Ebola are worse. A patient with COVID 19 is far likely to survive it than a patient with Lassa or Ebola.
None of the contagion you mentioned were global like Coronavirus!!

919 Death in 24 hours in Italy!!!

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Ghostmode2two(m): 12:11pm On Mar 29, 2020
Most of you commenting here don't know what PPE is. If you have attended safety seminar or course you would understand the importance of PPE. The doctors and nurses in Gbagada general hospital don't have that and it is not a place where infectious diseases are treated. If you talk of kidney and heart disease that is what are treated and others. The government and senators of this country have killed this nation's health system. I tell you that there is no single ventilator in this hospital. Those receiving oxygen get it in a very funny way. Go and see for yourself

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:12pm On Mar 29, 2020
Farki:

No sir your post made no sense at all, if they lack the tools and equipment to treat the patient why would they expose themselves and other patients to the disease? Doctors around the world are dying right now because they were not adequately protected and worked themselves to death while sick.

Worse of all is your statement for a government hospital to close down, just how does that help anyone? undecided

So if you, God forbid, had covid 19, and you went to a hospital for help and the staff ran away from you....shey you would clap for them?
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by zikter(m): 12:12pm On Mar 29, 2020
Fragility6:

Madam have you seen the equipments dey are working with? Why won't dey run. Can u work in a factory wit no proper safety procedures? Attimes lets be sincere with ourselves in judgement not talking with emotions...

PS: They didn't sign to offer thier lives as sacrificial lambs. In a sane society, proper working equipments are given to thier health workers not the opposite we ses in Nigeria.

My dear,its not always about poor working attitude
Oga forget this grammar. What sort of nonsensical behavior the doctors and nurses put on? I don't want to believe they acted this unprofessionally. If it is true, then they deserve sack. With all the awareness and knowledge of how the virus transmits, they did not need to create any drama or act like people in stone age. What happens to politely not letting them get down, while directing them to appropriate hospital? We're they going to catch the virus in that way? Haba, this is too low of a trained medical personnel. If all the health personnel are going to put on this cowardly behavior, then we are doomed.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Fragility6: 12:12pm On Mar 29, 2020
kikero:

Well, for most other diseases we treat in Nigeria, we don't have the proper working equipment or facilities

So, by your reasoning, we should turn away every sick patient because...no facilities?

Even for other contagious diseases.
I despise pple who don't read to comprehend. Always jumping 2 argue on someone's opinion....Do Nigeria health treat fever, malaria n other sickness? Yes they do. Y are they not running from it? Its bcoz they are equipped... Wat has the government done 4 health workers since Corona? The only reasonable thing us dat they've opened two labs 4 more testing.
Medical Centers are terribly lacking Ventilators and u expect me to offer myself as sacrificial lamb 4 a govt. dat despise my humanity.

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Goodman247: 12:13pm On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:
That hospital should be called out and closed up with immediate effect. My mom was right when she told me last night that she fears doctors and nurses fleeing when the numbers increases in Nigeria because Nigerians lack good working attitude.
Imagine ‘This is Coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion!’ Whose portion is it Mtchewwwwww you said it all,how can medical personnel be acting like illiterates, poor work attitude.

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by TOPCRUISE(m): 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
It would be more interesting if those healthworkers are your family members, siblings and parents!! undecided
My family members will be skilled to handle that kind of situation

2 Likes

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
None of the contagion you mentioned were global like Coronavirus!!

919 Death in 24 hours in Italy!!!

Italy has 92,472 cases of COVID 19 and about 10000 deaths as at today

Most of the dead are old people, or people with preexisting conditions like diabetes and heart disease.

Lassa is not global, as is Ebola because it mostly strikes rural, isolated communities.

MDR TB is rare...due to better treatment regimens, but back in the 1980's and 90, during the bad horror days of the HIV crisis, people used to die from that thing.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by nijabazaar: 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2020
eni4real:
If they are your relatives, you will encourage them to treat Coronavirus cases without Protection kits??

Why would I not.

Why are they health personnel's then? Why did they partake in the oath then?

Imagine yourself as the Egyptians? Neglected in your greatest time of need by the very persons supposed to help you
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Fragility6: 12:15pm On Mar 29, 2020
zikter:
Oga forget this grammar. What sort of nonsensical behavior the doctors and nurses put on? I don't want to believe they acted this unprofessionally. If it is true, then they deserve sack. With all the awareness and knowledge of how the virus transmits, they did not need to create any drama or act like people in stone age. What happens to politely not letting them get down, while directing them to appropriate hospital? We're they going to catch the virus in that way? Haba, this is too low of a trained medical personnel. If all the health personnel are going to put on this cowardly behavior, then we are doomed.
I no dey speak grammar. Jst ask google hw many ventilators Nigeria get? Who d govt. wan stress wit dier incompetence. If dey had done the right thing by providing better health centers i no sure if dose workers 4 run not forgetting say govt. still dey owe them o. Guy u fit work witout pay. Sometimes mk we put ourselves 4 oda pple positions bfor we criticise
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by bionixs: 12:16pm On Mar 29, 2020
RiyaGoddess:
Imagine ‘This is Coronavirus! Coronavirus is not my portion!’ Whose portion is it Mtchewwwwww

i tell you

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Jaqenhghar: 12:17pm On Mar 29, 2020
Angelfrost:

Doctors and nurses in better prepared and equipped climes are dying in their numbers... What does your country have in terms of hazard preparations and remuneration??!

A country where you pay an average healthcare staff 5k as hazard allowance, but dole out millions to senators for clothes alone, yet you want them to lay down their lives, forsaking their families for you??! On what grounds exactly??!...

Shey your labour minister said doctors can leave the country if they choose, that we have more than enough... Why the fuss if few out of the numerous choose not to risk their healths and lives??!...

I wonder why nma even called off our strike sef... This nation is not worth the time and effort tbh!!! Mtchewww!!!
...If you want millions too you can go and become a senator. If 5k is an excuse to behave the way those guys acted screaming and creating panic then you dont know your job MR.
Some of you think its all rosy abroad too? Actually I pray as many of you that want to go to go. Funny enough when you go there is no room for all these silly grumbling and you will see people paid way better than you and you must put in the work. No room for unprofessional behaviour.

1 Like

Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by nijabazaar: 12:17pm On Mar 29, 2020
TOPCRUISE:

My family members will be skilled to handle that kind of situation

Exactly
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Insectkiller: 12:17pm On Mar 29, 2020
The fear of COVID-19 aka (Chinese Virus)...

Gonna are d days when naija people prefer white customers...

The hospital directed that NO foreigners shld be attended to...

People (esp Naija people) are beginning to be contended and treat everyone equal..

Power of coronaVirus..

grin shocked grin shocked
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by adidison(m): 12:18pm On Mar 29, 2020
Ghostmode2two:
Most of you commenting here don't know what PPE is. If you have attended safety seminar or course you would understand the importance of PPE. The doctors and nurses in Gbagada general hospital don't have that and it is not a place where infectious diseases are treated. If you talk of kidney and heart disease that is what are treated and others. The government and senators of this country have killed this nation's health system. I tell you that there is no single ventilator in this hospital. Those receiving oxygen get it in a very funny way. Go and see for yourself

But atleast masks and gloves can be provided even by the hospital incase of incidents like this. They are still your staff and they can better protect themselves and refer the patients to an infectious diseases hospital.
Re: Coronavirus: Egyptians At Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos Cause Scare by Nobody: 12:18pm On Mar 29, 2020
Fragility6:

I despise pple who don't read to comprehend. Always jumping 2 argue on someone's opinion....Do Nigeria health treat fever, malaria n other sickness? Yes they do. Y are they not running from it? Its bcoz they are equipped... Wat has the government done 4 health workers since Corona? The only reasonable thing us dat they've opened two labs 4 more testing.
Medical Centers are terribly lacking Ventilators and u expect me to offer myself as sacrificial lamb 4 a govt. dat despise my humanity.

I am a medic, it affects me, and I took an oath to treat people.

See lassa fever. And HIV. The fact that fewer people die from both illnesses today is because medics... were bold enough to treat them write case reports, and do research into cures, at great risk to their lives....contributing to the knowledge base we have to help them.

As for you, vote out PDP and APC come 2023.....or run for office yourself and make things better.

I'm not running away from any sick patient. I took an oath as a doctor. I'm not going to run.

In the US...they are improvising in the abscence of PPE...because not every hospital there has adequate supplies. I'll do that if that happens.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Coronavirus: Rivers State Border Closure In Pictures / How Do U Wash Your Viginal Those Of You That Fix Long Nails / Ladies Stop Pushing Your Stomach To Your Bum (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.