Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? (26452 Views)

Niger Delta Oil Spills Clean-up Will Take 30 Years, Says UN - Guardian UK (2011) / See How Buhari Was Received In Sudan On His Way To Nigeria From India(photos) / Buhari First Blunder Why I Oppose Relocation Of Military Command-ifeduba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by AjanleKoko: 6:11pm On Dec 29, 2010
lagbaja20:

Hakeem Bello Osagie, despite his Ivy league education and numerous job offers abroad, went back home. Isnt he doing just fine?

He went back home to work as an aide to the minister of petroleum.
No job offers from abroad would have kept him out of Nigeria. This is a dude whose dad was personal physician to presidents.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Dec 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

Exxon Mobil, Chevron Texaco, NNPC, Oanda, Nigerian Breweries (MD), British American Tobacco (MD), KPMG (MD), Accenture (MD), Ernst & Young (MD), Major banks in Nigeria (MD), e.t.c

specific enough for u  grin

Most oil companies pay 4-5 million naira even for recruits from abroad. Makes sense, the average engineer in America earns 60-70,000 dollars (8.4 million naira) though there is a difference in purchasing parity costs.

No it is not, but thanks for trying!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by debosky(m): 6:15pm On Dec 29, 2010
You don't have to me 'mad' to relocate, and I don't see anything 'patriotic' about coming back to live in your own country. . . .y'all make it sound like you are coming back to save us in Nigeria, while you're just going to come and try to get ahead like the rest of us hustling in naija.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 6:20pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

No it is not, but thanks for trying!

No worries, however, there are some jobs that pay in the 800,000-1 million naira a month zone but they are all in oil companies. Since you are not an engineer (you have never displayed the analytical finesse of one) I dont think there is much you can do in nigeria that can earn that type of money grin

Finance companies in Nigeria pay decently.

He went back home to work as an aide to the minister of petroleum.
No job offers from abroad would have kept him out of Nigeria. This is a dude whose dad was personal physician to presidents.

yep his dad was actually the first Obgyn in Nigeria. Awesome job though- not really the personal physician of presidents but their wives grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 6:26pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

@Poster, and anyone else on here who actually knows of the very jobs and companies, what company pays N2 million a month these days in Nigeria? Could you please share so those of us out here can move back too to get a piece of that pie?

Also, I am not looking for you to convince me that it is possible or that it exists, I am looking for specifics . . . what companies, what positions etc. nothing less. As someone who has probably held down 1 or two professional jobs in his lifetime, I am certain you should know what I mean when I say I am only in need of specifics.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by kildran: 6:31pm On Dec 29, 2010
@OP
Lets try and be real for a start. It is most unlikely that you will get a job that pays 2million naira a month for a start. The Nigerian economy is at the moment overwhelmed with people with foreign degrees, no experience and high expectations. But Nigeria has its advantages for now!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 6:32pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Also, I am not looking for you to convince me that it is possible, I am looking for specifics . . . what companies, what positions etc. nothing less

Entry level Drilling engineer, Exxon Mobil, Nigeria

Renumeration: N 9.6 million/year

Job Risks: Being kidnapped by awon boys and being ransomed (unlikely if you are black).

www.kobojunkieloves-sillyquestions.com

Visit the website, I don talk my own  grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 6:41pm On Dec 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

Job Risks: Being kidnapped by awon boys and being ransomed (unlikely if you are black).

Visit the website, I don talk my own  grin

Sorry, "www.kobojunkieloves-sillyquest, " is unavailable or could not be found. Please consider our sponsor bing.com or try a different search.

Mr. Genius, is this what I am suppose to be learning from you? You can do better than this. . . Didnt you say something about Mensa the last time we sparred?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 6:42pm On Dec 29, 2010
Other people that went back home after their education abroad:

Gani Fawenhinmi,
Bola Ige,
Awolowo also came back from London, immediately after he completed his education
Chuba Okadigbo as well
And so on
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 6:44pm On Dec 29, 2010
Three Two questions :

1. Do you think I am mad ? if yes state why

No, you are not Mad for coming back. You will not be the first nor the last. How long have you been gone? Then that would determine how fast you can adjust. Anyways teh UK is no more than Nigeria with some white people IMO, but that is another discussion  grin

2. What are the possible challenges?

Consistently comparing Nigeria to the UK. You are going to be whining like a little b/i/t/c/h about how efficient everything in the UK is compared to Nigeria.

3. For a good Job, how much is enough monthly, 2M million Naira a month ?

No 2 million is what a clerk in Nigeria earns. You should set your sight on 1 billion a month. Maybe you think Naira and Ghana cedis have the same value  grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SEFAGO(m): 6:48pm On Dec 29, 2010
lagbaja20:

Sorry, "www.kobojunkieloves-sillyquest, " is unavailable or could not be found. Please consider our sponsor bing.com or try a different search.

Mr. Genius, is this what I am suppose to be learning from you? Y

Did you actually click on it?  grin

Didnt you say something about Mensa the last time we sparred?

I left my mensa certficate in your sisters crotch  cool, I will pick it up later tonight and show it to you.You can keep it to remind you how awesome I am.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by denzel2009: 6:59pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Also, I am not looking for you to convince me that it is possible, I am looking for specifics . . . what companies, what positions etc. nothing less

Apply to be the first BRT lady driver or joint venture with MC Oluomo.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 7:01pm On Dec 29, 2010
denzel2009:

Haha, that is very wicked of you, MC Oluomo is just going to want to have madam Kobo as his his 50th wife

Not sure if madam kobo can handle Oluomo's dingie dongie, especially post shekpe and paraga
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 7:03pm On Dec 29, 2010
denzel2009:

So you are operating under the assumption that there are not already BRT Lady drivers out there? About a joint venture with MC Oluomo, not certain that would help any. I asked of professional positions. . . . am I to assume that you are convinced that driving BRT buses qualify as professional employment?
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:04pm On Dec 29, 2010
illusion2:

redsun:

Naija is at the brink of war right now, think twice.Unless of course u are soldier like me,ready to delve into d chaos

Lets put it another way, Northern Nigeria is at the brink of war right now , lol  grin grin grin wetin concern me for that one
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:06pm On Dec 29, 2010
SEFAGO:

Three Two questions :

1. Do you think I am mad ? if yes state why

No, you are not Mad for coming back. You will not be the first nor the last. How long have you been gone? Then that would determine how fast you can adjust. Anyways teh UK is no more than Nigeria with some white people IMO, but that is another discussion  grin

2. What are the possible challenges?

Consistently comparing Nigeria to the UK. You are going to be whining like a little b/i/t/c/h about how efficient everything in the UK is compared to Nigeria.

3. For a good Job, how much is enough monthly, 2M million Naira a month ?

No 2 million is what a clerk in Nigeria earns. You should set your sight on 1 billion a month. Maybe you think Naira and Ghana cedis have the same value  grin

Oh yeah.

So after studying like a bat for donkey years in the UK and Nigeria, joining a good profession with over 10 years top experience under my belt in a senior position, you think 2m a month is too much to ask, considering the risks involved of relocating ?

na wa ooo
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 7:07pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

So you are operating under the assumption that there are not already BRT Lady drivers out there? About a joint venture with MC Oluomo, not certain that would help any. I asked of professional positions. . . . am I to assume that you are convinced that driving BRT buses qualify as professional employment?

Let me help you madam Kobo:

Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:08pm On Dec 29, 2010
lagbaja20:

So what?

You make it somewhere

If Yankee does not work, Nigeria might

I hate when people prefer to live as 2nd class citizens abroad, instead of going back home to play their part, and who knows he might strike it big in Nigeria.

Hakeem Bello Osagie, despite his Ivy league education and numerous job offers abroad, went back home. Isnt he doing just fine?

Don't mind them my brother.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 7:10pm On Dec 29, 2010
notcorrupt:

Oh yeah.

So after studying like a bat for donkey years in the UK and Nigeria, joining a good profession with over 10 years top experience under my belt in a senior position, you think 2m a month is too much to ask, considering the risks involved of relocating ?  

na wa ooo

If you work as Oluomo's PA, you would make more than that a week, As long as you are able to drink shekpe and paraga ad nauseam
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:11pm On Dec 29, 2010
debosky:

You don't have to me 'mad' to relocate, and I don't see anything 'patriotic' about coming back to live in your own country. . . .y'all make it sound like you are coming back to save us in Nigeria, while you're just going to come and try to get ahead like the rest of us hustling in naija.

I agree, just saying.

I am coming back because I have spent 15 years in the UK, Acquired good academic and work professional skills and feel these can be put to invaluable use back home.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:17pm On Dec 29, 2010
You do know most people will think you did not succeed in the UK. That is why you are running back home. Unless you are retiring, I would stay in the UK and try to make it there.

@Ochi_Agha, mumu.

Do you not realize that most willing UK returnees ( other than the deportees ) are those who have acquired significant work and academic experience normally over a 10 year period and in very good professions.

angry
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 7:20pm On Dec 29, 2010
lagbaja20:

Let me help you madam Kobo:

Could you possibly help yourself there first? I never asked you for the USELESS information you provided there. It has absolutely to do with the ONE question I have asked over and over, you know? The question is not silly . . .posting unrelated answers is what is silly. If you do not know, it is ok not to respond at all. READ THE QUESTION AGAIN and maybe you will be able to answer more appropriately this time.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by lagbaja20: 7:21pm On Dec 29, 2010
^^^

And even, if they don't succeed abroad

What is shameful about going back to your country to try things out

After all, the biblical 'prodigal son' went back home when things did not work out!
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:26pm On Dec 29, 2010
@Kobojunkie

Let me address the two points you raised.

what company pays N2 million a month these days in Nigeria? Could you please share so those of us out here can move back too to get a piece of that pie?

A multinational company will pay that amount, in fact I know of many who do.

Telecommunications, oil companies, etc etc

Mostly managerial or senior positions.

But one will have to be employed as an expatriate and not a Nigerian  grin grin grin grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by AjanleKoko: 7:28pm On Dec 29, 2010
notcorrupt:

Oh yeah.

na wa ooo

Maybe you need to be more specific.
What did you study, and what have you been doing in the UK? They don't pay wages in Nigeria based on self-recognition, quality of education, or what profession you belong to. The various sectors pay what they have benchmarked as wages they can afford.
For example a financial analyst in Cadbury will definitely not earn the same wages as a financial analyst in Chevron, years of experience notwithstanding. Cadbury will pay what it has identified as its appropriate threshold, based on the sector in which it operates in Nigeria (FMCG). Every other consideration is secondary. Likewise any other profession, or sector.

notcorrupt:

@Kobojunkie
A multinational company will pay that amount, in fact I know of many who do.

Telecommunications, oil companies, etc etc

Mostly managerial or senior positions.

But one will have to be employed as an expatriate and not a Nigerian  grin grin grin grin

You're right. Many MNCs can pay over and above that amount. Though, forget that expatriate toga. Things have changed. No MNC will put a Nigerian-born on its expatriate quota these days. You'll come in as a Nigerian.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:30pm On Dec 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Maybe you need to be more specific.
What did you study, and what have you been doing in the UK? They don't pay wages in Nigeria based on self-recognition, quality of education, or what profession you belong to. The various sectors pay what they have benchmarked as wages they can afford.
For example a financial analyst in Cadbury will definitely not earn the same wages as a financial analyst in Chevron, years of experience notwithstanding. Cadbury will pay what it has identified as its appropriate threshold, based on the sector in which it operates in Nigeria (FMCG). Every other consideration is secondary. Likewise any other profession, or sector.

Okay , an IT professional with over 10 years experience working with large blue chip companies in the UK.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Dec 29, 2010
notcorrupt:

I have been looking into opportunities in Nigeria, my area, and wondering if it is possible to get any comparable to what I get here, down there. So far, the most I have come up with are jobs with the UN and oil companies in locations I would consider remote. I am like you, I prefer Lagos to anyplace else in that country,but unlike you, I am probably not looking to making a permanent move. More like going there for 3 to 6 months out of my year.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by AjanleKoko: 7:35pm On Dec 29, 2010
notcorrupt:

Okay , an IT professional with over 10 years experience working with large blue chip companies in the UK.

Okay, fine.
Possibly if you got a job in the oil sector. Their pay is calibrated according to international benchmarks in their sector, and may be adjusted for cost of living in Nigeria, as well as purchasing power parity. So, start applying to them through their websites and you might just get lucky.

The financial sector has gone southwards, so no need even discussing them here.

In telecoms, you would have to be in senior or maybe even executive management to earn that kind of money. And for you to be in senior management, you must have management experience from wherever you're coming. Glo is an exception though. They pay indiscriminately, so you might have a chance there. The others are MNCs, and not the right kind. Local talent abounds in IT, so they might not really care much, at least not to pay N2m a month. Oil might just be your best bet.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:39pm On Dec 29, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I have been looking into opportunities in Nigeria, my area, and wondering if it is possible to get any comparable to what I get here, down there. So far, the most I have come up with are jobs with the UN and oil companies in locations I would consider remote. I am like you, I prefer Lagos to anyplace else in that country,but unlike you, I am probably not looking to making a permanent move. More like going there for 3 to 6 months out of my year.

Sure.

But I am not yet making a permanent move, this is more like a 'test the waters' type of situation.

If all goes well especially after the elections, then a permanent relocation becomes more likely.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by notcorrupt: 7:40pm On Dec 29, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Okay, fine.
Possibly if you got a job in the oil sector. Their pay is calibrated according to international benchmarks in their sector, and may be adjusted for cost of living in Nigeria, as well as purchasing power parity. So, start applying to them through their websites and you might just get lucky.

The financial sector has gone southwards, so no need even discussing them here.

In telecoms, you would have to be in senior or maybe even executive management to earn that kind of money. And for you to be in senior management, you must have management experience from wherever you're coming. Glo is an exception though. They pay indiscriminately, so you might have a chance there. The others are MNCs, and not the right kind. Local talent abounds in IT, so they might not really care much, at least not to pay N2m a month. Oil might just be your best bet.

MNCs are my target. I hear from colleagues who took the same leap, that they do pay very well.
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by jaybee3(m): 7:55pm On Dec 29, 2010
@OP
I bet u work as a contractor in the UK.
What permanent IT jobs pay >7K after tax in the UK or even US?
With 10-20 years experience you had still be earning <5k after tax so asking for 2M is a bit far fetched.

Engineers with >3yrs experience (Oil Coys) in naija earn above >15 M per annum

This was me expecting you to say u work as an IB grin grin grin
Re: Relocation To Nigeria From The Uk 2011. Am I Mad Or Is It Possible ? by SweetT1: 8:00pm On Dec 29, 2010
@OP

You are not mad or crazy my brother, in fact i salute you for this. My only advice is for you to make sure that you create a soft landing for yourself in Nigeria. Soft landing could be relatives to shelter, feed or help till you secure a job or make sure you secure a job ahead of your relocation. With a job in hand, Nigeria is the best place in the entire world to live. Seriously considering the option myself here in America, too bad i let some opportunities pass by few years back but it's not too late. Ile koko ntagbe,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Patience Jonathan ​boycotts Presidential Prayer / Igbana Denen Shot Dead (Ortom's SSA) / Flood Takes Over Apapa, Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.