Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,160 members, 7,815,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:48 AM

My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires - Properties (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires (43225 Views)

How I Pay My Rent / My Landlord Gave Me 6months Quit Notice When My Rent Will Due In 6months Time / My Landlord Wants Me To Pay A Debt I Didn't Accrue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 1:41pm On Apr 02, 2020
Shampoo77:

Guy settle with your landlord because he is right and you are wrong. What you are calculating is 13 months as rent starts counting from the very month you make payment.

The landlord is not right. The tenant is actually right.

4 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by obinoral1179(m): 1:41pm On Apr 02, 2020
femi4:
18/04/2019-18/05/2019.....1month
18/05/2019-18/06/2019.....2months

Count like that
18/02/2020-18/03/2020.......12months
that is how NYSC use to calculate service year...... From march to February...
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Ibechris2: 1:43pm On Apr 02, 2020
Opus85:

If the tenancy starts on 13th april 2019, it will expire on 12th of april 2020.

My landlady's lawyer calculated 15th April 2019- 15th April,2020. But professionally u are right.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by papagiddy(m): 1:44pm On Apr 02, 2020
davodyguy:

You're guilty of what you're accusing others of

1 year tenancy period equals 365 days

Assuming your tenancy commenced on 1/04/2019 it would expire on 31/3/2020, that's 365 days, but because 2020 is a leap year, one extra day (February 29th) is added. But in every year not a leap year, it's 365 days.

That's how it's calculated
. most people here don't know calculations...They need to study TAXATION to know how dates are being calculated

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by dejol88: 1:46pm On Apr 02, 2020
BarrElChapo:

It is arguable but as per the decided case of JOYLAND v. WEMABOD ESTATES LTD. A rent from April to April is 12months and not 13months
Thanks for clarification ! You have put the argument to rest .

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 1:46pm On Apr 02, 2020
[quote author=Jorian1 post=88015655][/quote]

Sir, if he pays on 18th of april 2019, his rent will expire on 17th of april 2020. That is 12months.

If he pays or tenancy starts on 1st of april 2019, his tenancy will expire on the 31st of march 2019.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by papagiddy(m): 1:47pm On Apr 02, 2020
papagiddy:
. most people here don't know calculations...They need to study TAXATION to know how dates are being calculated
January to December is a year(12 months). and not January to January (13 months)
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Euphoria12: 1:49pm On Apr 02, 2020
Ogbeni your rent is due jare.... Olodo!!. Didn't you see it in the receipt?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LudaChriz(m): 1:49pm On Apr 02, 2020
Babalegba:
You are very wrong. I face this exact problem with tenants sometimes because I rent a few flats out but once I show them a calendar and tell them to start counting they agree. By the way I'm disappointed at the numeracy skills of many Nigerians

How exactly is he wrong?
Are u saying Jan 1 - Dec 31 is not one year?
And that 18th April - 17th April is not one year?

3 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 1:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
Ibechris2:

My landlady's lawyer calculated 15th April 2019- 15th April,2020. But professionally u are right.

This are reasons many of this lawyers lose cases in court. All this small errors in tenancy are what other lawyers use in prolonging court cases.

They look for all this loopholes in cases to bank on. This mistakes are usually made in notice to quit.

I am estate surveyor and have practiced for a long time.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by smokeyupu(m): 1:51pm On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:
My Landlord Is Intimidating Me And Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires

I paid my house rent for one full year on 18/04/2019. My rent is due to expire on 17/04/2020.

But my Landlord is insisting it expired on 17/03/2020. Which is Eleven months. I have tried explaining to him but he wants to lock me out unless I pay immediately.

Please how do I get redress.
If you have a receipt or any evidence of payment.... Report him to the police
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Nobody: 1:51pm On Apr 02, 2020
reservd:

Well at least I own one but may I ask out of curiosity, if he rents in April last year, pays in March this year, Feb nxt year, Jan upper year, pays in Dec by 2023 and it goes on like that right?

Yes.

January to December is 12 months, aka 1 Year.
January to January is 13 months aka 1year and 1 month

So, if you pay rent on January, it expires December, and you must pack out or renew the rent on expiry date which is a date before the previous date that the rent was paid.

Now you understand?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 1:53pm On Apr 02, 2020
papagiddy:
January to December is a year(12 months). and not January to January (13 months)

You count from the actual date not the month.

1st jan will expire 31st dec
2nd jan 2019 will expire 1st jan 2020. Don't calculate just the month janaury to january. Use the actual date.

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Ibechris2: 1:57pm On Apr 02, 2020
Opus85:

This are reasons many of this lawyers lose cases in court. All this small errors in tenancy are what other lawyers use in prolonging court cases.

They look for all this loopholes in cases to bank on. This mistakes are usually made in notice to quit.

I am estate surveyor and have practiced for a long time.

I read estate mgt too...
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LudaChriz(m): 1:58pm On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:

Ok sir. But, was there any for 12 months?
I'm telling you why it's calculated that way..but, since you wanna be rigid in thinking, kindly, read about 'Express and implied' terms. Cheers.

When we say annual rent what does it mean?

You can only deceive the gullible ones with this your logic

2 Likes

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Throwback: 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2020
Vortex369:

Yes.

January to December is 12 months, aka 1 Year.
January to January is 13 months aka 1year and 1 month

So, if you pay rent on January, it expires December, and you must pack out or renew the rent on expiry date which is a date before the previous date that the rent was paid.

Now you understand?

The OP paid on 18th April 2019, will his 1yr/365days rent expire on 17th April 2020 as all rational minds know, or will his rent expire 17th March 2020 like his illiterate landlord falsely assume?

Mind you, January 2019 to January 2020 can be 1yr/12months if the days do not overlap.

18th January 2019 to 17th January 2020 is 12 months.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by jonadaft: 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2020
carbon1224:

Your rent expires 17/03/2020 and he is correct and there is more to this. That’s exactly 12month
Olodo

Including those fools wey like your senseless post.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by LudaChriz(m): 2:00pm On Apr 02, 2020
Alvin007:
Ok sir
You must be a charge and bail lawyer...why can't you defend your point further
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2020
[quote author=Ibechris2 post=88022780]

I read estate mgt too...[/quote

Cheers my noble colleague. Happy to find you here. Many people need to know more about landlord and tenant law.

Hope you are doing good. Cheer man.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by jonadaft: 2:01pm On Apr 02, 2020
Aremolekunowo:
Dear Nlander...if you have the money go ahead and pay him, if you don't have it plead for more time.
I rented my apartment 02/04/2019. My landlady came for her rent 03/03/2020. Your rent is due that's exactly 12 calendar month=1 year
Ignorance go kill you...
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Ibechris2: 2:04pm On Apr 02, 2020
[quote author=Opus85 post=88022901][/quote]

Yes,I had been in the mortgage bank for some years before I went into public practice...with Federal govt.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by adanny01(m): 2:07pm On Apr 02, 2020
Ed12:

January to December makes a year.

And not January to January!

Wrong

1st January to 31st December makes a year not just 1st January to 1st December which is 11 months and a day.

2nd January to 1st January is a year.

Why are you people in support of wickedness?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Bluehill1051: 2:08pm On Apr 02, 2020
Ed12:

January to December makes a year.

And not January to January!
Shut up!
Jan 1 2019 - Jan 31 2020 that is 13 months
Jan 1 2019 - Jan 1 2020 12am sharp, that's 12 months.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by nolywe(m): 2:09pm On Apr 02, 2020
carbon1224:
Sometimes I don’t know if some people really get small sense to think.

Who be this??
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by jonadaft: 2:10pm On Apr 02, 2020
flokii:
@OP your landlord is right while you are wrong.

A calendar year is January - December not January - Jamuary

If you paid rent in April 2019, you next rent will be in March 2020.

Birthdays are different for those using beer parlour logic above.
Chai....

So many fools on the internet...
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by abbiboy: 2:14pm On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:

I paid my house rent for one full year on 18/04/2019. My rent is due to expire on 17/04/2020.

But my Landlord is insisting it expired on 17/03/2020. Which is Eleven months. I have tried explaining to him but he wants to lock me out unless I pay immediately.

What did ur receipt states?
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by bkool7(m): 2:14pm On Apr 02, 2020
BarrElChapo:

Hmmmm. He is not entitled to it o. Wait until you see the tenancy agreement he signed if in fact he signed any. If the lawyer drafted his tenancy agreement as an agreement for a "fixed term" then that nullifies that 6months extension story. The lawyer after serving you a quit notice can get a 7days order from the court notifying your of his intention to recover the premises, after the expiration of the 7days will lawfully throw the tenant out.
The best thing is for him to seek the advice of a lawyer though.

The law is clear

There is no ignorance b4 the law. Since he's paying annually, he's entitled to 6 months regardless of whatever agreement he signed ignorantly
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Observer1: 2:15pm On Apr 02, 2020
Your landlord is correct, your rent expired in March buddy.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by Opus85(m): 2:16pm On Apr 02, 2020
einsteine:

Some rental agreements are based on the start of the month. The OP's agreement might have been backdated to April 1st. That's the only way the landlord is right. However, if the agreement explicitly stated 14 April, then the rent doesn't expire until 13 April and even so, a 6 month's notice has to be given (during which the tenant MUST pay rent) followed by a one week notice, after which forceful eviction is possible

Thank you. You are very correct. I hear people claim notice to quit is free and i laugh at them. Maybe they have not been to court for tenant and landlord cases. When judgement is given to the landlord, the mesne profit is calculated till the day the tenant vacates the property to be paid by the tenant.

Many lawyers deceive them so they can be getting their appearance fees.

1 Like

Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by adanny01(m): 2:16pm On Apr 02, 2020
brownsugardr:

Op, if you have the money, tell him to write a receipt with the right dates and come for the money with it. Reject the receipt if the dates is not correct and don't give him the money. Tell him to also write you the old receipt.

If you like the house, consider forfeiting the one month for peace to reign but if you wanna move, you can as well start looking for a new house.

If you can afford a lawyer, then you know where to but be prepare for war since your landlord isn't a reasonable person.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by lele007: 2:17pm On Apr 02, 2020
Aremolekunowo:
Dear Nlander...if you have the money go ahead and pay him, if you don't have it plead for more time.
I rented my apartment 02/04/2019. My landlady came for her rent 03/03/2020. Your rent is due that's exactly 12 calendar month=1 year

Why are these getting likes?

Your landlady has been playing and punking you coz you're too cheap to consult a lawyer, and you are encouraging another to follow you?

At OP, just keep posting the landlord till the proper anniversary of your lease.
Re: My Landlord Wants To Evict Me Before My Rent Expires by abbiboy: 2:17pm On Apr 02, 2020
oruhobinna:

Exactly, sue him.. Some landlords are just overly annoying and condescending
Evrytin is not abt suing,
D question u shld ask d young man did he not collect receipt?
Do u knw d cost of litigation?
My brother the op is the illiterate one hear not the landlord.
Wht eva transactions u enta have ur supporting documents,a backup document to support ur claim.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (Reply)

Doors, Cabinets, Wardrobe And Other Wood Works / How To Build Your Comfortable House Earning Little / Roofing Styles: Which One Do You Prefer? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.