Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Mechanic Roundtable - Car Talk (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mechanic Roundtable (72887 Views)

Fakuade, Taiwo Ojo, Others To Speak On Ekiti Knowledge Zone At Efa Roundtable / Mechanic Roundtable Talk For Master Brake & ABS / Some Mechanics Cannot Make Heaven - Read AIT's Presenter Ordeal With A Mechanic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 6:33pm On May 16, 2021
nonhuman:
what is tappet

Boss no matter how I explain it will still sound dumb to you. But if you can record it while someone start the car for you in the morning and send it to me on WhatsApp..
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Wandeayo(m): 6:42pm On May 16, 2021
eduman07:
Well-done bro for the good work.
Pls I have an issure with a car I bought recently volkswagen touran 2.0 fsi .
The problem of the car was it was over gouged with oil after which it stated smoking.
According to the owner ,he said they have refused the oil to the normally gauge , and was told the smoke will reduce.
But it's one week now and the smoke it still there.
I manage to travel with the car which I end up buying close to 6 liters of engine oil.
And I also noticed the plugs don't fire well and the number two plugs socks oil but the rest plugs are just black but not socked like the number two plug.
There is also a check engine light on it.
The engine also vibrates due to this condition.
I need advice on what to do cos I don't want any bad mechanic to damage the already sick engine.

I doubt if it's the overguage oil that made it to be smoking, I am currently using a golf MK4, 1.4l engine, I serviced it last month with 20W50 oando oil + oil treatment, which made it to overgauge.
I have done over 1000km since then and the engine doesn't smoke non reduce, so I doubt if the excess engine oil made it to be smoking, though it's not adviceable to be pouring excess oil into the engine.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 7:41pm On May 16, 2021
Blackbishop:

Boss no matter how I explain it will still sound dumb to you. But if you can record it while someone start the car for you in the morning and send it to me on WhatsApp..
please sir let me have your WhatsApp number
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by nonhuman(m): 7:44pm On May 16, 2021
nonhuman:
please sir let me have your WhatsApp number
the noise usually noticed on acceleration when when engine has become hot
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 9:04pm On May 16, 2021
It's on my signature.

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by adeinfinit(m): 9:09pm On May 16, 2021
Good evening

I am experiencing a continuous flunctuating rpm (it suddenly goes up and sometimes takes a while before returning to normal) on my 07 Honda civic both while in idle and in motion. Throttle body has been changed, Cam shaft sensor cleaned. Car has been scanned and currently no codes.
I need help with possible solution or a competent mechanic around Ojodu berger. Thanks
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:05pm On May 16, 2021
adeinfinit:
Good evening

I am experiencing a continuous flunctuating rpm (it suddenly goes up and sometimes takes a while before returning to normal) on my 07 Honda civic both while in idle and in motion. Throttle body has been changed, Cam shaft sensor cleaned. Car has been scanned and currently no codes.
I need help with possible solution or a competent mechanic around Ojodu berger. Thanks

Likely cause to be bad MAF sensor, fuel pump and filter. Bad Coil and plugs. Until I try a proper diagnosis
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by chizzybabe26(f): 6:32am On May 17, 2021
Please I have an issue with Toyota Camry 2010 model I bought some months ago. The car was doing just fine until last week, when the car is idle the engine goes off also occur when depressing the break pedal, the car do off when you match the break even on the road when there is hold up and you are on neutral the car will off, please what could be the issue. I have called some mechanics and no solution yet.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:15am On May 17, 2021
chizzybabe26:
Please I have an issue with Toyota Camry 2010 model I bought some months ago. The car was doing just fine until last week, when the car is idle the engine goes off also occur when depressing the break pedal, the car do off when you match the break even on the road when there is hold up and you are on neutral the car will off, please what could be the issue. I have called some mechanics and no solution yet.

Boss if you are in lagos let me run a proper diagnosis and you will have a final solution.

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by adeinfinit(m): 7:18am On May 17, 2021
Blackbishop:

Likely cause to be bad MAF sensor, fuel pump and filter. Bad Coil and plugs. Until I try a proper diagnosis

I already cleaned the MAF sensor, changed fuel pump and cleaned filter.
Where is your location?
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:30am On May 17, 2021
adeinfinit:

I already cleaned the MAF sensor, changed fuel pump and cleaned filter.
Where is your location?

Oshodi - 22 Eliasau Mafoluku Oshodi

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 1:04pm On May 25, 2021
Rebuilding a Toyota Avalon 2008 Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFNCODwMPsE

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by radautoworks: 2:01pm On May 27, 2021
Blackbishop:
Rebuilding a Toyota Avalon 2008 Engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFNCODwMPsE

yezzir cheesy

Details please! Tell us the story that goes with this.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 7:10pm On May 27, 2021
Rebuilding A 2008 Toyota Avalon Engine
I got a Toyota Avalon with Overheating issue, due to some other issues attached to it from bad Camshaft overtiming and faulty valves and bad plugs and Coil.

It was thoroughly disassembled and the gasket was replaced and other parts were fixed but after assembling all parts the water pump was leaking due to bad gum and failed water pump gasket which are common with this type of engine. It was fixed and the car was delivered to the customer within 2 working days.

3 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by BlueK1(m): 7:04pm On May 30, 2021
Good day.
Kindly help me out of this.
I bought a Nigerian used sienna 2000 recently and observed that the fuel consumption is beyond normal and emit black smoke.

An auto Electrician advised me to change the Air Flow Meter which I did. The black smoke, however, reduced only when the engine is not accelerated. Once it is accelerated the black smoke emit and the fuel consumption is excessive.

I contacted another auto Electrician who has asked me to replace the brain box (He said another car model brain box will be “worked” on it to fix the problem).

Please your advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:20pm On May 30, 2021
BlueK1:
Good day.
Kindly help me out of this.
I bought a Nigerian used sienna 2000 recently and observed that the fuel consumption is beyond normal and emit black smoke.

An auto Electrician advised me to change the Air Flow Meter which I did. The black smoke, however, reduced only when the engine is not accelerated. Once it is accelerated the black smoke emit and the fuel consumption is excessive.

I contacted another auto Electrician who has asked me to replace the brain box (He said another car model brain box will be “worked” on it to fix the problem).

Please your advice will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Can you bring the car down?
Or chat me up. Let me run proper scan and diagnosis

Cuz all you explained up there na just Air/Fiel ratio sensor symptoms

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:43am On Jun 12, 2021
The Effect of Using Water For Your Vehicle Cooling System
I believe we all pass through that phase of elementary science in our elementary school? Which we were taught types of water, well I remember mine was 5 back then I don’t know of any recent update.

We have

1. Tap Water

2. Spring Water

3. Alkaline

4. Electrolyte

5. Distilled water

The purpose of these is to bring to your notice why most car will experience over heating more frequently and brush you up on water and why water is not the recommended Specification as Antifreeze better known as coolant. Most of the Island occupant or lagos as a whole are sitting on a huge salt water with few locations of pure water. So be it tap water of well water or borehole or whatever name you want to call it 95% certainty is attached to it that your source of water has a varying percentage of salt.

So you thinking Coolant is not meant for you or tap water will do a better job, you need to think twice. It is even preferable to use

Your car engine is made of metal, and you adding salt water to the cooling system is a perfect script of doom. Salt water is corrosive. Put it in your cooling system and you’ll quickly spring leaks and other things that involve metal corrosion.

Have come across overheating issue that tends to be as a result of a corroded radiator.

In conclusion always stick to factory recommended specifications.

2 Likes

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Yansham: 3:55pm On Jun 12, 2021
Check engine light came up in my Camry 07. It was scanned and the error codes were P0351 and P0368. The ignition coil and camshaft sensor were changed.

After 2 days, the check engine light is back. Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 8:03pm On Jun 12, 2021
Yansham:
Check engine light came up in my Camry 07. It was scanned and the error codes were P0351 and P0368. The ignition coil and camshaft sensor were changed.

After 2 days, the check engine light is back. Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

P0368 short and simple check the wiring and if they are ok change the Camshaft and crankshaft sensor

P0351 coil or igniter
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by cashflowpc(m): 5:23am On Jun 14, 2021
Hi guys,

I just bought the Lexus es300. Please I want to go for full service before I start using it.

Please who know a reliable and lexus experienced, trustworthy mechanic in ibadan. Kindly recommend.

And please which engine oil is best for the car.

Thanks in advance for all your responses
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 11:12am On Jun 14, 2021
cashflowpc:
Hi guys,

I just bought the Lexus es300. Please I want to go for full service before I start using it as I didn't buy it new or toks. 11 months old Nigeria used.

Please who know a reliable and lexus experienced, trustworthy mechanic in ibadan. Kindly recommend.

And please which engine oil is best for the car. The mileage is over 200, engine sounds great. This is my first car and I want to do things right.

In Ibadan I dont really have one but the advise I will give is ask the a competent one to run full diagnosis to know what and what needs to be fixed and for the oil ask previous owner to give you the exact oil used in servicing it
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by dicksonadams(m): 4:06pm On Jun 14, 2021
Hi black bishop, can you help reconnect a used car with fan running direct, other texhnician had tried to rectify it but can't find the source of the direct connection

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by dicksonadams(m): 4:25pm On Jun 14, 2021
cashflowpc:
Hi guys,

I just bought the Lexus es300. Please I want to go for full service before I start using it as I didn't buy it new or toks. 11 months old Nigeria used.

And please which engine oil is best for the car. The mileage is over 200, engine sounds great. This is my first car and I want to do things right.

Look for timifakay here, the guy is legit

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 5:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
dicksonadams:
Hi black bishop, can you help reconnect a used car with fan running direct, other texhnician had tried to rectify it but can't find the source of the direct connection

What brand of car
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by cashflowpc(m): 9:26pm On Jun 14, 2021
dicksonadams:

Look for timifakay here, the guy is legit
THANKS
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Wilson5183(m): 10:06pm On Jun 14, 2021
Dear guys, at the process of trafficating to the right hand side. The trafficating side of my car tend to blink very fast. Please what the cause of it.

What the solution.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by dicksonadams(m): 10:30pm On Jun 14, 2021
Blackbishop:

What brand of car

2008 matrix
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Peppermintflav: 11:23pm On Jun 14, 2021
Wilson5183:
Dear guys, at the process of trafficating to the right hand side. The trafficating side of my car tend to blink very fast. Please what the cause of it.

What the solution.
Check the bulbs. One is bad. Replace it and it will be back to normal.
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Wilson5183(m): 11:27pm On Jun 14, 2021
Peppermintflav:

Check the bulbs. One is bad. Replace it and it will be back to normal.

Thanks
Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 2:44pm On Jun 15, 2021
dicksonadams:

2008 matrix

Just check for a wire that runs from the fan to either a relay or to the junction box or prolly fuse box

1 Like

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Blackbishop(m): 10:27am On Jun 16, 2021
P0014 – Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced
Most Toyota engines are configured with Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-I). The VVT-I technology is a smarter ways that could make engine more efficient and more eco-friendly. The system is located on the cylinder head which is used as automatic time controller of the engine’s inlet and exhaust valves.

Most Toyota engine with this technology tends to have a rattle noise at cold start after some mileage. This is common with Hyundai engine also, but mechanic almost misdiagnose this error to be a bad Timing chain/belt or OCV – Oil Control Valve.

Diagram of a VVT-I

Camshaft Timing Gear sprocket

All diagrams are shown below

There is an Oil passage to the VVT gear controlled by the oil pressure and controlled by an Camshaft Actuator. In the VVT actuator you have an Input and Output phasing that locks when the need arises, but once the lock is worn out there is an clearance that makes the noise till the oil pump supplies oil into the phasing. That is why you get to experience the rattling noise.

The best measure is to replace and relearn also

Re: Mechanic Roundtable by Stanleyallen17(m): 5:40pm On Jun 16, 2021
Blackbishop:
P0014 – Camshaft Position Timing Over Advanced
Most Toyota engines are configured with Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-I). The VVT-I technology is a smarter ways that could make engine more efficient and more eco-friendly. The system is located on the cylinder head which is used as automatic time controller of the engine’s inlet and exhaust valves.

Most Toyota engine with this technology tends to have a rattle noise at cold start after some mileage. This is common with Hyundai engine also, but mechanic almost misdiagnose this error to be a bad Timing chain/belt or OCV – Oil Control Valve.

Diagram of a VVT-I

Camshaft Timing Gear sprocket

All diagrams are shown below

There is an Oil passage to the VVT gear controlled by the oil pressure and controlled by an Camshaft Actuator. In the VVT actuator you have an Input and Output phasing that locks when the need arises, but once the lock is worn out there is an clearance that makes the noise till the oil pump supplies oil into the phasing. That is why you get to experience the rattling noise.

The best measure is to replace and relearn also

A 2010 Toyota Camry le with 2ar-fe engine was having a problem. The problem is when starting for the 1st time in the morning, the car will attempt to start while jecking and then switch off. On the 2nd attempt, it will start normal as if nothing happen on the previous attempt.
No check engine light seen while the engine is on but seen when you turn on the ignition.
A scan was performed and p0015 was seen as a pending code.
But the code disappeared after an oil change and driving for about 50+ miles.
My question is can this code cause the starting problem because the car still starts like that especially after being parked for about 6hrs even if you driven it for the day.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply)

Photos Of Innoson Vehicles Purchased By UNIZIK / Guys Buy Car For Their Friend After Getting Tired Of Picking Him Up With Theirs / Rolls Royce Owner, Who Lives In A Rented Flat In FESTAC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.