Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,657 members, 7,823,860 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59340 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 3:34pm On Apr 07, 2020
Kudos to LASG for doing this. It would be at par with practices in the US and the UK, and prevent immature people from the ivory tower. It reminds me of the dysfunctional relationship I had in the Uni I attended. This my supposed love interest would be starring at me, liked to hang around and be where I was, but refused to interact with me. She was evidently underage at the time of entering uni. And this went on for several years, and unfortunately the relationship never recovered!
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 3:34pm On Apr 07, 2020
lahizak:
Thats a very good move. If u are vigilant u will observe that most of the people failing in the university are either too young or too old. The ones graduating with the best result are between those age group except in some very small cases. The old ones is understandable but nowadays d people in the uni are just too young. I am a secondary school teacher and I av lot of students in jss 1 that are between the age of 8 and 9 and they are very dull compared to their classmate of age 12 or 13. Nowadays parent tend to rush their children.my younger sister is 15 in ss2 and she sat 4 jamb dis year. She got 181 and if she passed waec, she will be in 100l next year. I had to tell my mum to let her write another jamb next year so dat she can be more matured.
Truth
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 3:37pm On Apr 07, 2020
einsteine:

It is possible to finish primary school at age 10 without skipping a class. Secondly, it's possible for certain students to finish two year curriculum in a year. Also, in places like Edo State, primary 6 curriculum is taught in Primary 5.

To conclude, government should not be legislating entry on the basis of age

It is possible but it is wrong. 1, 2, 3yr olds have done things that normal 10yr olds will not do. So nothing is an impossibility. But to say for every class of 20, 10 are geniuses, something is wrong.

Are you saying Edo state has specifically, decided to go against the federal education system and eliminated primary 6?

Do yourself a favour and type/search age for 6th grades on Google. The standard worldover is 11-13. 6th grade is primary 6 and 12th grade is SS 3 which standards is 17-19. This is what is normal. To have a 10yr old in secondary school is saying he is a genius. And if he is not a genius then having him in secondary is a disservice to him.

What has become normal is for 30% of primary 4 class to go to sec sch and 50-80% of primary 5 going to sec sch. We are saying that 50-80% of all primary 5 pupils are geniuses. We are just deceiving ourselves.

Watch 1 episode of Child genius and you'll know the difference between a genius and a normal child. We a talking about a 10yr old child with an IQ of Albert Einstein (over 160).
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 3:40pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

Have you forgotten private schools run on license given by government? They run on curriculum set by government. They follow policies of government.

Yes, i agree the age should be 11 not 12 but the point is anything less is not acceptable for the normal child.

The first point on curriculum is irrelevant and tangential

How do you arrive at 11 ? What is " normal"?

Who is normal? What does that mean?
Is it normal to score 310 in JAMB?
Is Messi Normal?

Fact is historically there used to be common entrance examinations if you passed you were admitted
Some did from primary 5 because they were able
Some children in the UK are so gifted they complete a PhD before the age of 20
Are they normal?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 2lola: 3:41pm On Apr 07, 2020
xpool:

Upon the the whole long note that you wrote, you only got 2 likes.
It shows that your effort, time and submission are primitive, backward, depressive, stupid and annoying.
You just applauded the same old schizophrenic Nigerian politician, who has nothing to offer his citizens except deception, corruption, failure and oppression.
You don't peg people's destiny, Lagos state will lose. You have just opened way to more birth date forgeries and death of geniuses in Lagos.
Because the state does not want to work, like all Nigerian politicians whose brains are vegetables, it is seeking for a way out which they is the easiest.
Who do us this things?
Instead of fighting against quota system, principle of educationally developed/undeveloped areas as determinant of admissions you creating more problems.
The whole Europe and USA is seeking where to buy face masks, protective gears, gloves and hydroxychloroquine, they are turning to India.
In our stability in terms of covid19, we can not think of a way to help the world and even boost our economy. We can't think of nothing to produce, no state governor is even thinking, except on grabbing the peoples money.
Geniuses entering schools at early stage is not the reason for antisocial behavior.
Continue clapping

And guese what? you had one.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 3:43pm On Apr 07, 2020
ShouldIsayit:
Kudos to LASG for doing this. It would be at par with practices in the US and the UK, and prevent immature people from the ivory tower. It reminds me of the dysfunctional relationship I had in the Uni I attended. This my supposed love interest would be starring at me, liked to hang around and be where I was, but refused to interact with me. She was evidently underage at the time of entering uni. And this went on for several years, and unfortunately the relationship never recovered!

Not at par with practice in the UK

That is wrong

In the UK

They complete GCSE O LEVELat 16 years
With this arrangement it is 18 years
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by ukchy: 3:43pm On Apr 07, 2020
Nigeria parents like competition. I told a friend that my daughter just entered year 1 at the age of 6, she said why oyibo dey like delay children. That 6 years supposed to be in year 2, I was like no rush in life biko, allow the children to mature mentally, learning is a gradual process.
My son will be 4 in November, and he will start kindy this July that's if Covid-19 will allow him.

4yrs Kindy
5yrs Prep
6yrs Year 1
12 yrs Year 7

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Liberated: 3:44pm On Apr 07, 2020
Don't be deceived! The same people who crafted this policy are the very ones who would trample on it. A poor man's kid would contend with catchment area palava, Jamb gridlock, ASUU strike, NYSC placement, among others. Before they graduate they are already 27, 28 years. Job market will be telling them their requirements is 23 years post NYSC plus 7years working experience, Zombies please wake up!!!
Do you think that the kids of those (elites)that came up with this policy will pass through this same hurdles? Never!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by MyVILLAGEpeople(m): 3:45pm On Apr 07, 2020
Parisian:
I was also 12 in jss3 and I know someone who finishe5 secondary school at 13.

Finished @ 13??
Wooow.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Not at par with practice in the UK

That is wrong

In the UK

They complete GCSE O LEVELat 16 years
With this arrangement it is 18 years

Sorry about that, I was more familiar with the US system, as my nieces had to comply with that. But the fact remains we need mature students in the ivory towers, and 'A' Level is common in the UK.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Arysexy(m): 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
DBestDoc:

So you’ll quit your job and move your family to a different state just to evade the system? Or do you intend shipping off your underaged to a boarding house in another state or to go live with relatives because of this?

Parental love and guidance is very important for kids in their formative years. It’s the same anomaly the government is trying to correct. Ship them off early whether they’re ready or not. So sad!

The boarding schools in Lagos are not inhabited by the same kids? Are u aware many parents in Lagos have their kids in boarding schools in Ogun state?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Parisian: 3:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
It doesn't matter what age you left second5 school. The 17y/o who has the world's leading website on coronavirus is still in high school. Guess what? He was offered $8m by someone to simply place add on his website.
Truthbites:
JSS OR SSS? thank God I was an unknown genius who left Secondary school at 13.. grin
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Parisian: 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
You do know that most western countries have a law that states that students must not leave high school younger than 18?
AkolagTech:
Should be 10 years na.
They should be focused on schools not admitting children unless they've completed grade 6.

They just want to kill private international schools in Lagos state.
If schools in Lagos refuse to accept my child into year 7 at age 10, what stops me from taking my child to another school in another state?

Hello international educators in Lagos, it's time to start making arrangements to port to another state!
Should I increase the volume?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
ShouldIsayit:

Sorry about that, I was more familiar with the US system, as my nieces had to comply with that. But the fact remains we need mature students in the ivory towers, and 'A' Level is common in the UK.
So it is one year that makes the maturity difference?
If you are admitted via JAMB you do another year as Preliminary before stating the course.
In the UK you do A levels and gain admission at 18 years
That is the expected age for admission to university in the UK
Most people who do JAMB in Nigeria do not get admitted on the first attempt
That your maturity argument holds no water because even as things are now very few people would get admitted at 18 years in Nigeria so I don't see why there is a need yo add another year to that for "maturity"
You are displaying what psychologists call Confirmation Bias
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Ngoze: 4:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by proffemi: 4:02pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

This man. I thought you had been educated on this topic, but obviously, I was wrong, if you are still asking what constitutes "normal" age for primary 6 equivalents.

The World Bank link I sent you shows that the mean age of commencement of elementary school globally is approximately 6 years.
Or are you disputing that fact?

If the mean is 6 and primary school takes 6 years, I hope you can do the simple arithmetic? Normal is in the 11 - 12 range. Unless you know more than generations of educationists around the world!

Hope you have your answer now, or do you just like arguing?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by OBA2019: 4:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
Of what benefit is this?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 4:07pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Is Messi Normal?

Fact is historically there used to be common entrance examinations if you passed you were admitted
Some did from primary 5 because they were able
Some children in the UK are so gifted they complete a PhD before the age of 20
Are they normal?

TOP 10 YOUNGEST PEOPLE TO EARN THEIR DOCTORATES

1. KARL WITTE – AGE 13 (Home schooled)
.....His father encouraged a rigorous learning environment and program. By the time Witte was nine years old he could speak German, French, Italian, Latin, and Greek......

2. KIM UNG-YONG – AGE 15 (Home schooled)
.....He was speaking at the age of 6 months and he understood algebra at the age of 8 months. By the time he was 2 years old, he was fluent in Japanese, Korean, German, and English. By the time he was three, he had mastered a number of other languages.....

3. BALAMURALI AMBATI – AGE 17 (Home schooled)
....When Ambati was 4 years old, he was already doing calculus. Later, he attended Baltimore City College and graduated with his undergraduate degree at the age of 11. Also, when he was 11, he co-authored a research monograph on AIDS......

4. RUTH LAWRENCE – AGE 17 (Home schooled)

......When Lawrence turned 5, her father quit working as a computer consultant and homeschooled her. At the age of 9, Lawrence gained an O-level in mathematics (O-levels were a general certificate of education in a subject in the British system) which set the record at the time. She also gained an A-level in mathematics (A-levels were advanced general certificates of education in a subject in the British system) at the age of 9.....

One thing they all have in common, their gifts predates even the kindergarten class.

So don't be telling me about earning a PhD under 20 when you know the case is completely different.

Do not use a genius to compare to a normal child.

What is considered normal worldover is 6th grade at 11 to 12yrs or age. That is what a school entails, that age group are placed in the same class.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
proffemi:

This man. I thought you had been educated on this topic, but obviously, I was wrong, if you are still asking what constitutes "normal" age for primary 6 equivalents.

The World Bank link I sent you shows that the mean age of commencement of elementary school globally is approximately 6 years.
Or are you disputing that fact?

If the mean is 6 and primary school takes 6 years, I hope you can do the simple arithmetic? Normal is in the 11 - 12 range. Unless you know more than generations of educationists around the world!

Hope you have your answer now, or do you just like arguing?

You cannot comprehend simple English
First the remark was not directed at you
The question I asked was not about "normal" age but normal child
Stop constituting a nuisance
You claim to be a Lecturer and cannot comprehend simple English
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by proffemi: 4:14pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You cannot comprehend simple English
First the remark was not directed at you
The question I asked was not about "normal" age but normal child
Stop constituting a nuisance
You claim to be a Lecturer and cannot comprehend simple English

Pedantic dunce.
Were you in fact asking about about how he arrived at 11 or not?

I wonder where a retard like you got the guts to jump in my mentions accusing me of irrational, non-evidence based thinking when I never invited your opinion?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by RichardKajola(m): 4:17pm On Apr 07, 2020
DJperdurabo:

10 is a no-no!
i entered jss 1 @ 10 and now I finished University before my 20th birthday.
I wasn't corrupted and I did well
we should not leave the disease and focus on the symptom. Our major issue is the fallen standard of education not age.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by AkolagTech: 4:18pm On Apr 07, 2020
Parisian:
You do know that most western countries have a law that states that students must not leave high school younger than 18?
Yes, I do.
It's even a condition for their offer of scholarship through SAT and ACT.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by seunayantokun(m): 4:19pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Babangida did not bring it Obasanjo did in1976

Well, I understand Obasanjo had his own problem that led to 'Ali Must Go' in the 1970s but nobody mouthed 6-3-3-4 until the evil genius came to power.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:21pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

One thing they all have in common, their gifts predates even the kindergarten class.

So don't be telling me about earning a PhD under 20 when you know the case is completely different.

Do not use a genius to compare to a normal child.

Calm down
I simply used an extreme example for illustration and emphasis
Are we to force such people into the same box as everyone?

My question was who is a normal child
How do we determine who is normal.
Life is more of a spectrum than a binary of normal or genius. There is WIDE variation
Some children are ready for secondary school intellectually at 9 while for others it may be 10 11 12 or 13

Your idea of normal seemed to suggest it is one age for everyone
The 9 year old child might be bright but not necessarily a genius

For me holding anyone back because of age is cruel

The issue is how to develop a responsive system that accommodates diverse needs
If the child is not emotionally ready then home schooling options should be considered rather than enforced stagnation
Open university options should be considered where appropriate
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by MadeMan01(m): 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2020
BABANGBALI:
Yinmu. It won't work. My sun must enter secondary school at age 9

I won't advise this. Seeing that you spell "son" as "Sun".
The child has to mature intellectually, emotionally, psychologically. You are yet to do so if you can make this fundamental error for someone as important and your son

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 4:25pm On Apr 07, 2020
einsteine:

Yes. Schools have been known to give admissions on the basis of essays, interviews, performances and projects. Exams like SAT may help admissions but not all students entering University write them. Each school decides its own admission criteria unlike Nigeria where everything is legislated.

Don't deceive yourself.

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Truthbites: 4:29pm On Apr 07, 2020
Parisian:
It doesn't matter what age you left second5 school. The 17y/o who has the world's leading website on coronavirus is still in high school. Guess what? He was offered $8m by someone to simply place add on his website.

Secondary school= high school for Ame right? U talk true, ..who early leaving epp?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2020
seunayantokun:

Well, I understand Obasanjo had his own problem that led to 'Ali Must Go' in the 1970s but nobody mouthed 6-3-3-4 until the evil genius came to power.
Not true the Ali must go issue is nothing to do with this issue
6334 started in 1976 when the first entrants entered primary school they took WAEC in 1988
The set before took WAEC in 1986.

The 1988 set entered the secondary school in 1982 and even though they were one year behind those in Form 2 as it used to be called they in JSS 1
knew they would finish two years after their immediate seniors who would do 5 years
That was the transition arrangement

The first set of JSS 1 was in 1982 under Shagari but the policy was enacted in1976
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Senatorbng(m): 4:33pm On Apr 07, 2020
Students go give teachers belle be dat. Chai! 18yrs still in secondary school. 10yrs is not bad. I hope they reconsider.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Truthbites: 4:34pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Calm down
I simply used an extreme example for illustration and emphasis
Are we to force such people into the same box as everyone?

My question was who is a normal child
How do we determine who is normal.
Life is more of a spectrum than a binary of normal or genius. There is WIDE variation
Some children are ready for secondary school intellectually at 9 while for others it may be 10 11 12 or 13

Your idea of normal seemed to suggest it is one age for everyone
The 9 year old child might be bright but not necessarily a genius

For me holding anyone back because of age is cruel

The issue is how to develop a responsive system that accommodates diverse needs
If the child is not emotionally ready then home schooling options should be considered rather than enforced stagnation
Open university options should be considered where appropriate

One clever one spotted..well spoken.. articulate..

Holding back anyone is very cruel n barbaric.

Children don't develop at the same pace. I know a child who didn't go to pre-kg, started school at 3, he's very brilliant. The way he picked up eh! Meanwhile those who went to pre-kg (his mates)don't match his intelligence
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

So it is one year that makes the maturity difference?
If you are admitted via JAMB you do another year as Preliminary before stating the course.
In the UK you do A levels and gain admission at 18 years
That is the expected age for admission to university in the UK
Most people who do JAMB in Nigeria do not get admitted on the first attempt
That your maturity argument holds no water because even as things are now very few people would get admitted at 18 years in Nigeria so I don't see why there is a need yo add another year to that for "maturity"
You are displaying what psychologists call Confirmation Bias

I really don't know if I should join in argument with you. But let me 'enlighten' you a bit.
Let me restrict myself to the secondary education in Nigeria which I am more familiar with it. We know the legal age of adulthood begins at 18, that is settled. Why don't we wait until our wards reach that age before shipping them to universities. The unis are for mature people-- people who can live independently, not technical children.

On the issue of JAMB, well, the truth is the battle of UTME, just like life, is not for the faint-hearted. For the benefit of secondary school students here, if you want to pass UTME, you must read as if your life depends on it. You must cover the syllabus and solve as many question bank as you can lay your hands on.

Yes, adulthood begins at 18! Period!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Queen’s College Teacher Accused Of Sexually Molesting Girls Finally Responds(pic / Doctor Aarinola Olayia Breaks OAU 28-Year Record (Photo) / University Of Lagos (UNILAG) In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.