Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,932 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59248 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Highvotage: 9:49pm On Apr 07, 2020
missimelda01:
So 8years old in primary 6 would have to wait for 4 years before entering secondary school shocked

They should start this from the new set entering KG 1.

He/she can spend the 4 years leaning how to follow mummy to shop or washing plate at home.
Shior.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by HeyHey(f): 9:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
Thank you oooo. I did 6 years in law with al the useless strikes, one year law school and its now im serving. Shey i wanted to take DSSC Navy form, they said i must be under 28 and have 3 years post-call experience. Biko how.

My roommates in law school were born 1997,
sharp intellugent mature girls esp the kne who was a first born. I know one who was 1998, she is 22 lawyer and serving. They entered school according to their capacity and parents pocket. My kid is 4 years in Nursery 2, and thats ok for him. My neighbours son, who is very smart, is same 4years+ primary 2 but its their poxket size and family size they consider.
They cant hold him back because of age

safarigirl:
I jumped from Primary 4, I was 9 in JS1, but I still graduated Uni at 24. I had to repeat JS 2 because we moved to a new state, I had to write WAEC 3 times because of Maths, I got into University at 18, Law is 5 years, plus multiple strikes, we did 6.

Law School another one year, I'm still awaiting Service, imagine I waited till I was 12 for Secondary School admission, plus all these delays.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 10:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You are a liar

The posts are still there in the sequence that they transpired
I have nothing more to add other than what I first said

Home schooling could be state funded and is in developed countries for many children with special educational needs usually those with disabilities or behaviour problems like ADHD,social phobia ,,agoraphobia anxiety etc So provision for gifted children are not out of place
Google Government funded home schooling

YOU RESPONDED BY SAYING

'Home schooling cannot be state funded even in developed countries

A came before B

Are you confused or something?

Point the lie. Is there anywhere i said B came before A? See this one oh!

A beg shift.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 10:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
Matrix414:

So what becomes of a child that fails jamb 3 to 5 times and ASUU successfully wastes 3 to 4 years, thereby making the child to graduate late, you'll now start seeing job vacancies that not older than 26 years. 12 is on a high side. 10 or 11 years is ok
if you fail Jamb 5 times even at 10 or 9, you might still be more than 26. A reason for failure most times is because the individual hasn’t developed capacity to solve the questions presented, as he ages, he develops capacity. Like I mentioned, the 26 years limit is a very wrong standard which is not going to help our economy. You see children of rich folks graduate and get jobs before they are 21. They have little or no “life experiences” as it were and do not understand how it feels like being in other person’s shoes. Thus they come arrogant and insensitive at work places which may lead to non productivity of other employees. If this law is enacted, the government will have to look into the age limit criterion set by these companies.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 10:07pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Do you have evidence? What do you know about IQ?
What is the average IQ of white men?
How is IQ distributed in the population
stops asking silly questions. Is underdevelopment in Africa not a result of the IQ and EQ level of your leaders? Who are the major pioneers of innovation and inventions across the world ?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Redman44(m): 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
HeyHey:
Thank you oooo. I did 6 years in law with al the useless strikes, one year law school and its now im serving. Shey i wanted to take DSSC Navy form, they said i must be under 28 and have 3 years post-call experience. Biko how.

My roommates in law school were born 1997,
sharp intellugent mature girls esp the kne who was a first born. I know one who was 1998, she is 22 lawyer and serving. They entered school according to their capacity and parents pocket. My kid is 4 years in Nursery 2, and thats ok for him. My neighbours son, who is very smart, is same 4years+ primary 2 but its their poxket size and family size they consider.
They cant hold him back because of age

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked How can a 4 year old be in Primary 2? At what age did this boy start Nursery School? Can you explain further, please?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 10:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
emmaelectelect:

10 years is Ok

10 is not ok.

10-6yrs primary is 4
4-3yrs nursey is 1
1-1yr prenursery/daycare is zero

Thia means a child will attend prenursery straight from the labour room. Thats not possible. The only logical thing is 11-12yrs.

At 1yr child goes to Prenursery or Daycare
At 2yrs child goes to Nursery 1
At 5yrs child gods to Primary 1
At 11yrs child goes to JSS1
At 17yrs child goes to the University
At 22yrs child goes for NYSC
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by missimelda01(f): 10:32pm On Apr 07, 2020
Highvotage:

He/she can spend the 4 years leaning how to follow mummy to shop or washing plate at home.
Shior.
grin grin grin
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Redman44(m): 10:49pm On Apr 07, 2020
This new policy being introduced by the Lagos State Government is very good. Maturity is a good thing smiley smiley smiley smiley. Starting JSS 1 at 12 years old is not a bad thing. Ideally, a child should be 5 or 6 years old in Primary 1. Starting JSS 1 at 9-10 years old does not mean the child is smart or intelligent. Things always catch up with these kids when they become undergraduates at ages 15-17 years old. There is no need to be in a rush. People who finish from University at 26 to 35 years still become successful in life. Are we saying people do not get jobs even when they are 28-35 years old? Perhaps, this Policy should be debated on live television by the Stakeholders. I have a feeling many Nigerians will support the Policy. Cheers.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by biggy26: 10:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
StPete:

The America you mentioned, do they have ASUU strikes? Do they do nysc? Do they have age limits for entry level jobs? Next time mention me with more reasonable point
You made no point at all. Meaning you're planning to do jamb or WAEC 3-4 times. So ASUU strike takes years Abi? NYSC is 3yrs oga?
It's actually all these fake private nurs/pry schools that caused this rubbish, cos they are hustlers, otherwise what they are implementing is just the way it was before. But now we have babies in universities. under developed emotionally and psychologically.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 10:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
sowilli:
stops asking silly questions. Is underdevelopment in Africa not a result of the IQ and EQ level of your leaders? Who are the major pioneers of innovation and inventions across the world ?
You are rude

The key issue for development is culture under which you can include religion

History did not start today.

The Chinese were developed thousands of years ago when Europeans still lived in caves. Over time they became complacent and lost their edge.
The Japanese write with Chinese letter anc were quite backward compared to the Chinese. They changed their culture and are world leaders today
The Indians were literate thousands of years ago but stagnated
The Europeans were once among the most backward especially the Northern Europeans when the Roman's invaded and occupied Britain

If you studied mathematics you would have encountered the influence of the Greeks the Greeks were so advanced at the time the New Testament was written in the Greek language.
The Germanic and Slavic people were considered barbaric at the time
Study European history to understand how they got from A to B and why we need to stop poisoning ourselves with religion
Today where are the Greeks ?
The point is that over time things have changed and they will change again
It is not about intelligence but culture.
Are we in the south of Nigeria more intelligent than the North?
The issue often is culture.
I really do not have the time to school you but you need to educate yourself

Of those innovations you mention only a tiny fraction of the population generate them it Is not sufficient to say the average white person is more intelligent.

Black people embedded in different cultures have been just as innovative.
Africans in West Africa developed innovations too for example variolatiion as a precursor to modern vaccination but the slave trade froze our development because our energy was focused on raiding each other for slaves.
If you have a historical perspective you would realize that the ultimate determinant of development has been the capacity to organize and deploy violence, military power not intelligence.

With power empires over history have acquired knowledge and technology by force,
The Iranians are one of the oldest and most ad advanced civilizations as were the Indians but when the Ummayad Caliphate emerged with Jihad it swept the region and took over.. Islam put Iran in reverse
What about the Jews with all their intelligence thousands of years ago they were dispersed

We are not stupid we will be fine,our time will come. Stop hating yourself.
We don't have to become European just reform the unhelpful elements in our culture and dispense with imported religions like Islam and Christianity
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Kfed4ril(m): 10:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:

Absolutely nothing, I love capitalists who build fortunes by lying and cheating... lols, what's there not to love.

Have the lied to your father or cheated him before?
Make hate no kill you o.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by StPete: 11:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
biggy26:

You made no point at all. Meaning you're planning to do jamb or WAEC 3-4 times. So ASUU strike takes years Abi? NYSC is 3yrs oga?
It's actually all these fake private nurs/pry schools that caused this rubbish, cos they are hustlers, otherwise what they are implementing is just the way it was before. But now we have babies in universities. under developed emotionally and psychologically.

K
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Lilkini(m): 11:22pm On Apr 07, 2020
lol, this is funny... na now i begin reason some things o. i been enter jss1 @age10 and at that same age i liked one girl ogechi and i tried wooing her with my Primary school results cos i took 1st position all through buh e still no work.

las las i do security for my guy the day im dey bang am for box room...

back to the matter... this move aint cool. 18years -write waec
19yrs-- jamb bleep u up
20yrs-- u write again,e no work
21yrs -- u come say make u hustle small
22yrs-- u come ses say ur niggas dey do guy for u cos dem dey school, you try again and still fail
23yrs-- you finally got it then spend 4-9yrs depending on ya course of study.

u don age be that... after suffering and graduating then the mumu country go say job no dey cos of ya age
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Proffdada: 11:36pm On Apr 07, 2020
PrimadonnaO:

They should put their IQ into other creative uses while still under the tutelage of their parents/guardian. Going through school gradually doesn’t hamper anyone’s IQ.
you sound like an Islamic cleric
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by HeyHey(f): 11:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
The school system here is as follows
Model 1

Nursery 1
Nursery 2
Primary 1-6

Or (WHICH I FEEL IS JUST TO EXPLIOT PARENTS)

Model 2

KG1
KG2
NURSERY 1
NURSERY 2
Primary 1-5

Both our kids attend the first model. He did nursery 1 at 2years
Nursery 2 at 3 years, it was about then or so that he was given double promotion because he is very bright for the class.
Now in this session, he is in Primary 2 at 4years+, he will turn 5 in some months time though but he go still do pry3 at 5 and finish primary school at 7 (if he jump primary 6)

Redman44:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked How can a 4 year old be in Primary 2? At what age did this boy start Nursery School? Can you explain further, please?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by einsteine(m): 12:06am On Apr 08, 2020
adanny01:

So, in your best attempt to be Einstein, you only skipped 2 classes?

You should have skipped school and get a PhD at 12.

You are very stupid
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 12:37am On Apr 08, 2020
Redman44:
This new policy being introduced by the Lagos State Government is very good. Maturity is a good thing smiley smiley smiley smiley. Starting JSS 1 at 12 years old is not a bad thing. Ideally, a child should be 5 or 6 years old in Primary 1. Starting JSS 1 at 9-10 years old does not mean the child is smart or intelligent. Things always catch up with these kids when they become undergraduates at ages 15-17 years old. There is no need to be in a rush. People who finish from University at 26 to 35 years still become successful in life. Are we saying people do not get jobs even when they are 28-35 years old? Perhaps, this Policy should be debated on live television by the Stakeholders. I have a feeling many Nigerians will support the Policy. Cheers.

These are personal decisions that parents should make. I agree with your perspective and rationalization to the extent that you make that decision for YOUR CHILD

Let ME decide for MY CHILD. The issue is about personal autonomy and Freedom. Not whether or not it is good or bad but whether I have the right to make my choice for my child.
Goverment should not decide when I should marry or how many children I should have for me . If I want my child to watch TV till midnight that should be my choice
Government may be able to say you MUST vaccinate your child against chickenpox BECAUSE of public health

There is no public good or public interest necessitating this intervention. At most government can make the rule for government schools not private schools

We are not a communist country.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by seunayantokun(m): 1:14am On Apr 08, 2020
I left this matter long ago but you are still on it.

If hadn't schooled in Nigeria in the 1970s and 1980s, I would have said you were right on this.

Even if you were right, what would be the point of your argument on this matter?

Even children that were not yet around at the time have a lot of records to resort to in hard copies and soft copies online.

Thank you so much.

0m0nnakoda:
Not true the Ali must go issue is nothing to do with this issue
6334 started in 1976 when the first entrants entered primary school they took WAEC in 1988
The set before took WAEC in 1986.

The 1988 set entered the secondary school in 1982 and even though they were one year behind those in Form 2 as it used to be called they in JSS 1
knew they would finish two years after their immediate seniors who would do 5 years
That was the transition arrangement

The first set of JSS 1 was in 1982 under Shagari but the policy was enacted in1976

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 1:16am On Apr 08, 2020
seunayantokun:
I left this matter long ago but you are still on it.

If hadn't schooled in Nigeria in the 1970s and 1980s, I would have said you were right on this.

Even if you were right, what would be the point of your argument on this matter?

Even children that were not yet around at the time have a lot of records to resort to in hard copies and soft copies online.

Thank you so much.
D
What is your point?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 1:39am On Apr 08, 2020
einsteine:

You are very stupid

Whoa Einstein can't even get his temper on check.

Are you sure the classes you skipped didn't affect your reasoning?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 3:17am On Apr 08, 2020
texazzpete:
Everyone supporting this nonsense is an slowpoke.

Nonsense. In fact, that sounds uncannily like the 'justification' my muslim colleague put forward for child marriage.

Na real wa ok. A Muslim working in shell defending child marriage?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 3:37am On Apr 08, 2020
Useless legislation

Seek parents consent before proceeding with this kind of regulation which affects the parents and their child

What happens to students already preparing for secondary school.

Very soon, they'll say you cannot get married if you're not up to 30

I expect parents to go to court

Age should not be a limiting factor to success.

I think people are often selfish in making these legislations.

Perhaps they didn't have opportunities in their time so decide to create bottlenecks for others.

You can't legislate graduation in life and age.

Freddyjimoh:

https://www.sunnewsonline.com/lagos-pegs-entry-age-into-jss1-at-12-years/
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by iamdrduru: 3:44am On Apr 08, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!

excuse me, are trying to pin morality to someone's age?

there many people between the age of 18 -26 in universities still in meshed in drug abuse. sex addicts and all.
It has nothing to do with age.
it has a lot to do with up bringing.

moreover our education system needs a total overhaul, I don't think this law would change anything. In my ss1 the curriculum was still teaching me that cpu is the brain of the computer meanwhile my counter parts in more developed countries have already programmed their first games and applications.

lastly like someone mentioned, you finish sec school at 18, write jamb for like 3 or 4 years you're 22 already. so you would be finishing university at 27 or 28. it's not as if your employment is secured.
rubbish
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 9jaRealist: 5:28am On Apr 08, 2020
DUMB regulation... angry
Everyone does NOT develop uniformly.

>
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Mkayfrenzy(m): 5:51am On Apr 08, 2020
I once heard of a 13 year old girl who scored 196 in jamb and the mother was very angry abusing the girl calling her a failure
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 5:58am On Apr 08, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You are rude

The key issue for development is culture under which you can include religion

History did not start today.

The Chinese were developed thousands of years ago when Europeans still lived in caves. Over time they became complacent and lost their edge.
The Japanese write with Chinese letter anc were quite backward compared to the Chinese. They changed their culture and are world leaders today
The Indians were literate thousands of years ago but stagnated
The Europeans were once among the most backward especially the Northern Europeans when the Roman's invaded and occupied Britain

If you studied mathematics you would have encountered the influence of the Greeks the Greeks were so advanced at the time the New Testament was written in the Greek language.
The Germanic and Slavic people were considered barbaric at the time
Study European history to understand how they got from A to B and why we need to stop poisoning ourselves with religion
Today where are the Greeks ?
The point is that over time things have changed and they will change again
It is not about intelligence but culture.
Are we in the south of Nigeria more intelligent than the North?
The issue often is culture.
I really do not have the time to school you but you need to educate yourself

Of those innovations you mention only a tiny fraction of the population generate them it Is not sufficient to say the average white person is more intelligent.

Black people embedded in different cultures have been just as innovative.
Africans in West Africa developed innovations too for example variolatiion as a precursor to modern vaccination but the slave trade froze our development because our energy was focused on raiding each other for slaves.
If you have a historical perspective you would realize that the ultimate determinant of development has been the capacity to organize and deploy violence, military power not intelligence.

With power empires over history have acquired knowledge and technology by force,
The Iranians are one of the oldest and most ad advanced civilizations as were the Indians but when the Ummayad Caliphate emerged with Jihad it swept the region and took over.. Islam put Iran in reverse
What about the Jews with all their intelligence thousands of years ago they were dispersed

We are not stupid we will be fine,our time will come. Stop hating yourself.
We don't have to become European just reform the unhelpful elements in our culture and dispense with imported religions like Islam and Christianity
where did I say you are stupid? Or do you think you are. Your post confirms my claim. IQ is determined by a combination of many factors, education is one. Culture and education have a correlation. For instance you mentioned the north. I want to think the south seems smarter because of how they have taken education. Same goes with the whites and every other situation you mentioned. The more your culture enables factors that affect IQ, the higher your IQ. Yes if Africa step us their game, they can have a better IQ. If the whites become laid back, they can have a lesser IQ. The whites have continually improved on education and have found many inventions. The Indians you said were once illiterates stepped up their games and are leading in many professions today. As long as your culture is not enabling factors that promote IQ compared to other culture, you can be perceived as less intelligent. So what is wrong in my initial post?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 8:41am On Apr 08, 2020
sowilli:
where did I say you are stupid? Or do you think you are. Your post confirms my claim. IQ is determined by a combination of many factors, education is one. Culture and education have a correlation. For instance you mentioned the north. I want to think the south seems smarter because of how they have taken education. Same goes with the whites and every other situation you mentioned. The more your culture enables factors that affect IQ, the higher your IQ. Yes if Africa step us their game, they can have a better IQ. If the whites become laid back, they can have a lesser IQ. The whites have continually improved on education and have found many inventions. The Indians you said were once illiterates stepped up their games and are leading in many professions today. As long as your culture is not enabling factors that promote IQ compared to other culture, you can be perceived as less intelligent. So what is wrong in my initial post?
You think you know but you know demonstrably less than you think you do.
I never said Indians were illiterate.
IQ is not the same thing as intelligence. It is a formal attempt to measure intelligence developed by psychologists.
It has some utility but is limited and flawed. It was developed by Westerners from their perspective and so in intrinsically biassed to Western culture.
If Nature places you in the the Serengeti then your intelligence is directed to surviving threats from wild animals and nature. You would look at the ground and read that a lion crossed the path yesterday you would recognise the footprints, feces and sounds of different animals. You would know which plants to eat or not eat how to find your way without a compass. Those activities are "education " priorities imposed by nature.
The Inuit in Alaska would have their own peculiar experience and Challenges. A New Yorker would not survive in those places
There are no questions in IQ tests about survival in the jungle or other non Western cognitive priorities
There is no IQ test in my Yoruba language
I would refer you to research conducted among the Kpelle people of Liberia when IQ tests were being tested in the field
The researcher gave them a western based test and they "failed ' every single element. In frustration he asked
HOW WOULD A FOOLISH PERSON RESPOND immediately they changed and gave him all the " correct" answers he was looking for. Indicating that what was important to them was different from his.
Imagine if a New Yorker took an IQ test developed by the Maasai

The original question I asked about IQ distribution was not random it was quite deliberate because I am familiar with Phd level research on intelligence all Western. IQ tests are only useful albeit limitedly,within the same culture not across cultures

You seem to believe IQ is the same thing as intelligence hmm

You are the one who thinks material development is a measure of intelligence. I don't and so when I mentioned the North I was not saying they are less intelligent, quite the contrary

A people may decide their purpose in life is to live a simple existence taking from nature no more than they need for day to day survival while others may decide that they want to put men on the moon that does not make them more intelligent than the former

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:11am On Apr 08, 2020
Proffdada:
you sound like an Islamic cleric

LOL!
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 9:42am On Apr 08, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You think you know but you know demonstrably less than you think you do.
I never said Indians were illiterate.
IQ is not the same thing as intelligence. It is a formal attempt to measure intelligence developed by psychologists.
It has some utility but is limited and flawed. It was developed by Westerners from their perspective and so in intrinsically biassed to Western culture.
If Nature places you in the the Serengeti then your intelligence is directed to surviving threats from wild animals and nature. You would look at the ground and read that a lion crossed the path yesterday you would recognise the footprints, feces and sounds of different animals. You would know which plants to eat or not eat how to find your way without a compass. Those activities are "education " priorities imposed by nature.
The Inuit in Alaska would have their own peculiar experience and Challenges. A New Yorker would not survive in those places
There are no questions in IQ tests about survival in the jungle or other non Western cognitive priorities
There is no IQ test in my Yoruba language
I would refer you to research conducted among the Kpelle people of Liberia when IQ tests were being tested in the field
The researcher gave them a western based test and they "failed ' every single element. In frustration he asked
HOW WOULD A FOOLISH PERSON RESPOND immediately they changed and gave him all the " correct" answers he was looking for. Indicating that what was important to them was different from his.
Imagine if a New Yorker took an IQ test developed by the Maasai

The original question I asked about IQ distribution was not random it was quite deliberate because I am familiar with Phd level research on intelligence all Western. IQ tests are only useful albeit limitedly,within the same culture not across cultures

You seem to believe IQ is the same thing as intelligence hmm

You are the one who thinks material development is a measure of intelligence. I don't and so when I mentioned the North I was not saying they are less intelligent, quite the contrary

A people may decide their purpose in life is to live a simple existence taking from nature no more than they need for day to day survival while others may decide that they want to put men on the moon that does not make them more intelligent than the former
I love this! I find your last paragraph exciting. We can choose to innovate, develop and do new things that make living better. At the same time, we may choose to live on the trees like the monkeys do. It does not mean one is more intelligent than the other... Interesting! The fact here remains, man and animals look for a better way to survive. In the animal kingdom, some breeds of animals are considered more intelligent and able to do some particular task more than the other. This doesn’t mean one is better than the other. If you read to my post, I never said blacks were lesser or whites better than blacks. Looking at the message of this thread, I said whites have a better IQ. This is in relation with educational field this thread is addressing. When it comes to academics, the whites are considered more intelligent. However, there are a few things man has considered necessity in life, when a race does better than another in these necessities, wouldn’t you judge the former more intelligent? The whites are doing better in this things. This are the things that enables the “standard of living” paradigm. So the whites can be regarded as more intelligent.
I never weighed the intelligence in the north to material things. My point is their culture does not encourage education as it were, a reason they southerners are perceived more intelligent. This does not mean they cannot exhibit brilliance when it comes to their cultural display. Now when we talk education in Nigeria, the assertion that a southerner is more intelligent than a northerner may hold. This is same with my original post!
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by BABANGBALI: 9:45am On Apr 08, 2020
MadeMan01:

I won't advise this. Seeing that you spell "son" as "Sun".
The child has to mature intellectually, emotionally, psychologically. You are yet to do so if you can make this fundamental error for someone as important and your son
is he your sun or my sun abi na you burn am?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by BABANGBALI: 9:49am On Apr 08, 2020
PrimadonnaO:

Your sun, abi?
Maybe you should even go back to school before you think of sending your children to secondary school at 9.
what do you mean?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

FUTO Mysterious Water From A Tree (More Pictures) / Tertiary Institutions That Have Released Bulletin For Resumption Of Activities / AAUA 2013/2014 Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.