Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,842 members, 7,831,726 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59403 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by einsteine(m): 4:40pm On Apr 07, 2020
[quote author adanny01 post=88194217]

Don't deceive yourself.[/quote]

What the heck is that screenshot?

Did you even read what I wrote earlier?

Please just get the hell out of my mentions if you can't comprehend basic points. Imagine sharing screenshots of a broad survey that does not relate to the subject at hand.[code][/code]
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:40pm On Apr 07, 2020
proffemi:

Pedantic dunce.

Were you in fact asking about about how he arrived at 11 or not?

I wonder where a retard like you got the guts to jump in my mentions accusing me of irrational, non-evidence based thinking when I never invited your opinion?
Well the person I addressed responded it is clear they also comprehended
You on the other hand cannot.
You say you are a Lecturer and complain of half baked graduates, I rather suspect if you resign that would go a long way to solving the problem
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 4:42pm On Apr 07, 2020
Well, I can comprehend any sense in the law. If despite grew up in the village, I entered secondary school at age 9 and I didn't get admission until age 19.I knew some of my mates that stayed longer at home more than I did. Now add that with ASU strike, that means they will be getting to 30 or above before graduating, God forbid.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 4:44pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Calm down
I simply used an extreme example for illustration and emphasis
Are we to force such people into the same box as everyone?

My question was who is a normal child
How do we determine who is normal.
Life is more of a spectrum than a binary of normal or genius. There is WIDE variation
Some children are ready for secondary school intellectually at 9 while for others it may be 10 11 12 or 13

Your idea of normal seemed to suggest it is one age for everyone
The 9 year old child might be bright but not necessarily a genius

For me holding anyone back because of age is cruel

The issue is how to develop a responsive system that accommodates diverse needs
If the child is not emotionally ready then home schooling options should be considered rather than enforced stagnation
Open university options should be considered where appropriate

How many parents are ready to give up their means of livelihood to homeschool their children.

To home school a child, you first of all must be competent to teach all round subjects. It is no joke.

At age 5-6 just after nursery, would you have differentiated which child is bright and which child is dull and placed the bright ones in primary 2 and dull ones in primary 1 or how will you do it? With an educational system that puts 25-50 pupils in a class, even if a bright one is spotted at primary 1 for instance, skipping that class where time/clock is taught means the dull ones will be taught and the one who is bright and skipped the class will never be taught how to read the clock again in his life.

Who else will teach that child that skipped a class what he missed in primary 1? By skipping the class he has lost out on vital information that would shape his learning.

To home school a child means he will have to get the same knowledge as if he was in school.

Skipping a level should never be encouraged no matter how bright a child is.

Age is the only way to group children than their level of reason or ability. At later years making them skip classes without compensation for the missed knowledge is putting them at a disadvantage. The only reason a child should go to secondary school at 11-12 is because he should have been to Primary 1 at age 5-6.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by StPete: 4:44pm On Apr 07, 2020
biggy26:

The America you probably love so much, go and find out when they graduate from high school.

The America you mentioned, do they have ASUU strikes? Do they do nysc? Do they have age limits for entry level jobs? Next time mention me with more reasonable point

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:48pm On Apr 07, 2020
ShouldIsayit:

I really don't know if I should join in argument with you. But let me 'enlighten' you a bit.
Let me restrict myself to the secondary education in Nigeria which I am more familiar with it. We know the legal age of adulthood begins at 18, that is settled. Why don't we wait until our wards reach that age before shipping them to universities. The unis are for mature people-- people who can live independently, not technical children.

On the issue of JAMB, well, the truth is the battle of UTME, just like life, is not for the faint-hearted. For the benefit of secondary school students here, if you want to pass UTME, you must read as if your life depends on it. You must cover the syllabus and solve as many question bank as you can lay your hands on.

Yes, adulthood begins at 18! Period!

Under the status quo in Nigeria very few people get admitted before 18.
If you get into secondary school at 11 and finish SS3in Nigeria then the earliest
age you start university degree work in Nigeria would be 18 if the JSS age is changed to 12 it would be 19

Adulthood has nothing to do with learning mathematics
Just like in the UK at 16 you are old enough to join the army go to war and get killed.
It is not a matter of "Period!", Parents will do what they think is best for their childre
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 4:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
einsteine:

What the heck is that screenshot?

Did you even read what I wrote earlier?

Please just get the hell out of my mentions if you can't comprehend basic points. Imagine sharing screenshots of a broad survey that does not relate to the subject at hand.[code][/code]

What broad survey?

I wanted to reply you with the fewest words as I could hopping you will understand.

Does Wikipedia represent a survey?

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by einsteine(m): 4:54pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

What broad survey?

I wanted to reply you with the fewest words as I could hopping you will understand.

Does Wikipedia represent a survey?

Comprehension is apparently the issue here.
You don't even understand what you are quoting. Of course, the section of this Wikipedia article was a survey and they are looking at factors in general that schools look at for admission. Note the word 'general', then go back and read my points.

There are over 800 schools in the US for instance that give admissions without SAT or ACT scores.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 4:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Under the status quo in Nigeria very few people get admitted before 18.
If you get into secondary school at 11 and finish SS3in Nigeria then the earliest
age you start university degree work in Nigeria would be 18 if the JSS age is changed to 12 it would be 19

Adulthood has nothing to do with learning mathematics
Just like in the UK at 16 you are old enough to join the army go to war and get killed.
It is not a matter of "Period!", Parents will do what they think is best for their childre

Please, let's stop promoting mediocrity. 12+6 is 18. I got to secondary school in 1992/1993 set, despite losing a class I passed my SSCE in 1998, leaving secondary school in 1999. That same year, I was gone to unilag at 18. The take home lesson is every child should read as if his or her life depends on it. Don't depend on going to private unis.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 4:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

How many parents are ready to give up their means of livelihood to homeschool their children.

To home school a child, you first of all must be competent to teach all round subjects. It is no joke.

At age 5-6 just after nursery, would you have differentiated which child is bright and which child is dull and placed the bright ones in primary 2 and dull ones in primary 1 or how will you do it? With an educational system that puts 25-50 pupils in a class, even if a bright one is spotted at primary 1 for instance, skipping that class where time/clock is taught means the dull ones will be taught and the one who is bright and skipped the class will never be taught how to read the clock again in his life.

Who else will teach that child that skipped a class what he missed in primary 1? By skipping the class he has lost out on vital information that would shape his learning.

To home school a child means he will have to get the same knowledge as if he was in school.

Age is the only way to group children than their level of reason or ability. At later years making them skip classes without compensation for the missed knowledge is putting them at a disadvantage. The only reason a child should go to secondary school at 11-12 is because he should have been to Primary 1 at age 5-6.
I have a different opinion but I am not here to join issue the fact is that you clearly feel strongly about the issue when you say people should never skip yearsv,my view is that is good for your own children but should not be imposed on others
Some people allow their children smartphones others don't each to his own

Home schooling could be state funded and is in developed countries for many children with special educational needs usually those with disabilities or behaviour problems like ADHD,social phobia ,,agoraphobia anxiety etc So provision for gifted children are not out of place
Google Government funded home schooling
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by frozen70(f): 5:00pm On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:
You will still see some Igbo people entering school at 10 years old

How is that your problem
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Iranoladun(f): 5:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
yers6:
I swear!!!!!!!! This is the best policy in education sector in recent years. Was still discussing this very crucial issue with woman days ago!!!!

Imagine a scenario whereby some new generation 'sophisticated' parents wants their wards in JSS 1 at the age of 7, 8, 9 or 10 and by the time the kid is 16 or 17, would already be done with university! And then by 19 would be done with nysc and then start working. And for those in majority, may not get a good job at that stage and so, life problems start hitting them with so much frustration which they were not fully prepared or grounded to face and then they resort to drugs, prostitution and other dangerous vices just to keep face or survive!

And there is where the challenge starts. Because they are still teenagers with the enormous mantle of grown adult's headaches, they become so directionless in life especially because most Nigerian men don't intend to settle down maritally or even take life very serious till they are 30 years and above. FACT!

Come to clubs on the island and you would weep for the new generations our so called enlightened and cosmopolitan parents are now raising. You would see young girls of 15, 16 from mostly Christian and Religious higher institutions of learning like Covenant, Babcock (the Babcock lady giving head last year in the viral video comes to mind here), Redeemers, Mountain Top, Caleb, Unilag, Leads, Alkhima, Afe Babalola, etc, flooding some of the most exquisite, expensive and classy night clubs on the island, in Owerri, Benin, PH, Abuja every and every weekend!

Or why do you think new exquisite clubs are opening up every other day in Lagos and those cities mentioned? High rate of slay queens everywhere? Or astronomical numbers of mamalawos on IG? Or the fact that weed, codeine, and other 'get high' drugs are recording the craziest sales ever? Its beyond just the fact there are big boys ready to spend but simply because the young and willing underage girls from the higher institutions of learning abounds massively like the sands in the ocean. You see young girls at age 17, 18, 19 among them already having flapping and seriously sagged breasts**.

And you begin to wonder if they are not young girls from so called prestigious and religious universities where security was very tight, where morals were preached and impacted on all fronts, where their parents spend fortunes on them to be in so called best schools?

If you were one brought up in a strict home and responsible background and happen to see things as they are in those cities mentioned, you would weep bitterly.

Don't get get this submission wrong as this is not to generalise that all underaged kids in universities are bad or irresponsible. Far from it. Still a lot are well raised and doing remarkably well even after graduation. Because age at times doesn't translated to maturity. But the danger lies in having kids who are not raised well to fully absorb the crude shocks of life in the majority!

How can you explain so many 16 years olds in 400 level in universities but are already deeply enmeshed in drug abuse? Or the girls that have committed several abortions that they have lost counts? Or those who have been to 100's of exquisite clubs in and out of the country at age 16/17? Thats why you see so many childish comments on social media posts and forum especially on Nairaland in recent years and you begin to wonder, who are these so called young adults with terribly childish mentality? How can you then explain the highest numbers of young boys and girls committing suicides in recent years when we all know Nigerian rarely commit suicide? By time the damage has been seriously done on those boys and girls, you now see their mother's en masse in churches and other religious gatherings seriously praying and fasting for God to touch the soul of those already destroyed children.

We play and pray too much in this country!

God bless you real good for this apt analysis
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 5:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
ShouldIsayit:

Please, let's stop promoting mediocrity. 12+6 is 18. I got to secondary school in 1992/1993 set, despite losing a class I passed my SSCE in 1998, leaving secondary school in 1999. That same year, I was gone to unilag at 18. The take home lesson is every child should read as if his or her life depends on it. Don't depend on going to private unis.
100 level as we have it in Nigeria does not exist in many countries
University work commences at 200 level same as when direct entry/A level candidates enroll
That was my premise.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by einsteine(m): 5:01pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

This is trash.

I skipped classes twice because I was far ahead of my mates and had learned what needed to be learned at those classes at home. It would have been a waste of academic time if I had to be kept in a class when I had already covered and understood the curriculum for that class. It's the same reason some people are told to repeat classes or even demoted. Academic progress is not age related.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by einsteine(m): 5:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
Parisian:
You do know that most western countries have a law that states that students must not leave high school younger than 18?

This is not true.

It's usually a recommendation not that all students must be up to 18 before leaving school.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by BIAFRAisBURIED: 5:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
Best policy of education.
In the past, you can't get to primary 1 without getting to 6years and 18 years before writing your SSCE
FANTASTIC MOVE

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by klax(m): 5:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
I'm 100% in support. This was how it was then when education really count it was that useless IBB that laid every distructive foundation Nigeria as a nation is experiencing today.

Lets go back to the old system of education. In UK and US you can't see 12 years already out of secondary but here even 12 years can be in year 2 in Uni and its normal.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by PDPGuy: 5:16pm On Apr 07, 2020
Does this policy apply to the unity colleges?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by DTaj: 5:24pm On Apr 07, 2020
This is the BEST policy on semi-tertiary education by any state government in Nigeria in the last 5 years.

Anyone who is involved in the education sector, at primary and secondary school levels, would know about my assertion above.

The clear lack of preparedness in term of cognitive skills and development of the “rushing-culture-children” who their parents, by fire by force, make to graduate from University at 18-19 is glaring. I can confidently talk about this- examples abound.

Last session, a parent withdrew her child from JSS 1 and returned her to Primary 6 due to this rush mentality. The little girl was practically emotionally tortured when she was ‘rushed’ from Primary 5 to JSS 1.

One hopes that some unscrupulous owners of private schools would not discretely beat this new regulation.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 5:26pm On Apr 07, 2020
celeiyke:

Pls go back to primary school to learn addition. At 12 entry age, they will graduate at 18. At 18 admission into tertiary institution, they will graduate at 22. At 22 NYSC is 1 year. They will be done at 23. KPMG and it's likes have 26 as entry level age. What are in saying in essence?
Na u go give them admission?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Wendybrown(f): 5:31pm On Apr 07, 2020
goldenboyofpsy:
Just like a boss ahead of his contemporaries.
Lagos is waking up to address the emotional and social deficiencies of this rush where children don't mature before moving to the next stage of academic ladder.

It's a giant stride and I appreciate their concerns. Maturity is key and it will help us to challenge the pains,stress and headaches parents and lecturers face in school dealing with such immature lads.

This is very commendable...this is something I've always said .
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by hush15: 5:46pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

How is my own not simple comment that your own is
How is my own insult that yours isn't
I implied exactly what you implied nah
Why wailing like an oestral canine?
I only ask that you drink first then let me know how far?
OK will let you know.... Smh its not hard to know child of perdition. You can't reason with them. Am coming, will let you know
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by david22uu(m): 5:49pm On Apr 07, 2020
missimelda01:

So because of this your calculations, parents are encouraged to keep skipping classes for their children just so they can get into the university at 16? If the child is a genius, why not... If the government wants to correct any of this, let them start fixing it from Nursery school, reduce the age qualification and let the kids start learning early.
i dont know the school u went to , but the age for getting into Primary 1 is 5years, So go ahead and solve

I think we need to fix our schools nt putting age. All the ranting that private school children misbehave, Dont public School children misbehave to.

We still have the best come out from both sides. I know companies who put private school graduates first before federal , then State universities

Lets call a spade a spade bro and do the right thing.

Fix the system not the age
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by david22uu(m): 5:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
haaaaaaaaa:
Na u go give them admission?

He no add strike plus Jamb.

He no add possible spill over or carry over...

Lets fix the system not age... Most people who are for it are the people who felt cheated with their age when they went to University
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by david22uu(m): 5:52pm On Apr 07, 2020
Wendybrown:

have you seen the boys who cause problems at the junctions, they are usually the old ones who dropped out of school
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 5:53pm On Apr 07, 2020
bukatyne:

What boss?

And the poor child comes out of school at 26yrs with no job experience when all companies want 22yr old with 10years experience.

Carry go.

Very senseless policy.
There is a standard for children to follow. Even my lecturer that moved to US with the kids, was told to return the kids to normal grade that they will have the brain no doubt but will lack emotional stability.
If you did psychology or education you will understand the three stages of development.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Onlyonebuhari: 5:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
SIRTee15:

I agree with u on pre world war era produced the greatest inventors and scientist....
The later 20th century innovation was a feed off from the preceding era....

The 21st century may end up becoming the least innovative century in recent era despite technology and scientific advancement....
U just can't point to any disruptive innovation of recent....
It's just repeated attempt to make previous technology better.....

Whether the rush-rush mentality of recent generation is the cause....
The jury is still out on that....

The technology of today is to cover up human weakness. Take a look at Corona virus! Human are becoming weaker and weaker, the love of money is defeating this generation.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 5:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
SavageMaster:

I don't think it's a good idea. Allow children to move at their pace.

I've seen a 20-year old girl in SS2.
That's the minimum. They must mature and follow the 3 level of development. One must not out run the other.

It's a policy by professionals not lay men. We must not place unnecessary pressure on these kids.

Check them out you will understand that this is for our good.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 5:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
SmartMen:

Your own concern is maturity and immaturity...

At the end of the day, you proved that speaking English not the yardstick of a visionary personality.

You didn't read that... If you do, you will know that the post addressed all.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 6:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
NairaMaster1:

Wise man na wa for you ooo.

Can you do some analysis? Will you tell the employers to follow Lagos state?

Thank God we have 37 states.

I pity Lagos school operators.

Mass exodus from all these yeye school environments in Lagos to other states.

It will help children to learn their local languages.

Bros move your children to join my children atKingdom Heritage and faith academy sharp sharp
Believe me... They are solving problems. You may not agree because most parents are more concerned about leaving school early even thou thhe child may not be emotionally mature to handle the the challenges that comes with schooling.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 6:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
Wendybrown:

Do you have a background in education or child development?

Most parents or aspiring parents think otherwise.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Chuky7(m): 6:05pm On Apr 07, 2020
So there are trying to make sure everyone gets into university at 18...they don't know the Nigerian factor will find a way to ruin this...when u can get into school at a younger age n hope jamb n waec or even the schools exam doesn't f u up

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

University Of Abuja Students Beat Lecturer After Exams (Video) / FUTA Final Year Students Storm School In A Grand Style (Photos) / University Of Lagos (UNILAG) In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.