Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,761 members, 7,817,104 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:46 AM

Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years - Education (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years (59257 Views)

FG Reinstate 18 As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / FG Sets 18 Years As Minimum Entry Age Into Tertiary Institutions / JSS Entry Age Limit: Lagos Debunks Viral Report On Social Media (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by grandlexuz(m): 6:09pm On Apr 07, 2020
sowilli:
this companies have set very bad standards but even with this law, many should complete their education and NYSC before 25. Whilst maturity is not a functional of age, some times the older the better because the older seems to have more life experience. Life experiences develops one’s emotional intelligence which is lacking in many work places. Don’t you hear this silly talk - my education is fast? Is education supposed to be measured by speed or quality? We all want it fast in this country. There is a process for everything. We don’t have to compare with the whites, they have a better IQ

You were talking sense untill you spoiled it with the whites have a better IQ.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Taich(m): 6:12pm On Apr 07, 2020
In my opinion this wrong. We have the 16 years cap for university, I think Js1 should be capped at 10 years, the world is changing, Nigeria for an instance has changed. It is becoming very difficult for families with only one parents working to provide their basic needs.
Minimum decent rent in Nigerian top five cities is 400k to 500k while average salary is around 150k. If you include school fees, feeding and clothing, you will have an idea the burden that modern Nigerian parents have face to make ends meet. The whole buhaha boils down to a system failure, government can not go about enacting policies like this, because this is only a measure to address a symptom while living the root cause unattended.
Improve the quality of education in our public schools to march or surpass the private ones this will invaribly drop the price of the private schools.
Provide good infrastructure and power, this will drive development of more industries that will create more jobs, all these will drop the pressure from our parent.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 07, 2020
david22uu:

He no add strike plus Jamb.

He no add possible spill over or carry over...

Lets fix the system not age... Most people who are for it are the people who felt cheated with their age when they went to University
Baba epp me tell am ooo
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by bukatyne(f): 6:18pm On Apr 07, 2020
goldenboyofpsy:

There is a standard for children to follow. Even my lecturer that moved to US with the kids, was told to return the kids to normal grade that they will have the brain no doubt but will lack emotional stability.
If you did psychology or education you will understand the three stages of development.

This is not about the stages of development. It is applying it to our society.

A child should enter secondary school at 12:

1. What does this child do at home from 8 (after done with primary school) to 12 considering that most parents work today in Lagos?
2. Knowing our university system, let's assume it takes the child another 9 years to navigate through the uni to NYSC; he is 27.
3. An average place to work in Lagos today wants the maximum age for entry level to be 25 with masters and two years working experience. Already, our child has lost out except he/she reduces his age which is a crime.
4. If unfortunately, he stays at home additional one year before a job then he is 28. At what age will he be financially stable to get married? (Except he is celibate, he is having sex which is another line of issues all together.)
5. Most of our policy makers WILL NOT put their children in Nigerian schools which means while the average Nigerian is struggling to graduate and serve by 27, the average politician's kid is 24 with a masters' degree i.e. they 'qualify' for the standards of the juicier organizations.

If they want our kids to start secondary school by 12, then there is need for a overhaul of our educational system and work force.

Before you scream entrepreneur, how many successful ones in line with their course in the university do you know? And I don't want the wig sellers and caterers on Instagram (I am not knocking off their hustle and I know some of them are doing well). If all our graduates become bag sellers and caterers, how do we develop as a nation? How do we build technology for the next generation?

Are there systems in place for young adults to go to technical college if they are not interested in university WITHOUT discrimination? HND holders still know what they face from employers.

By the ripple effect hits, it will be like magic.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by missimelda01(f): 6:19pm On Apr 07, 2020
david22uu:

i dont know the school u went to , but the age for getting into Primary 1 is 5years, So go ahead and solve

I think we need to fix our schools nt putting age. All the ranting that private school children misbehave, Dont public School children misbehave to.

We still have the best come out from both sides. I know companies who put private school graduates first before federal , then State universities

Lets call a spade a spade bro and do the right thing.

Fix the system not the age

Not in this generation, they allow 3-4 yrs old in primary 1.

@ second bolded
I do not think otherwise.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by goldenboyofpsy(m): 6:32pm On Apr 07, 2020
bukatyne:

This is not about the stages of development. It is applying it to our society.

A child should enter secondary school at 12:

1. What does this child do at home from 8 (after done with primary school) to 12 considering that most parents work today in Lagos?
2. Knowing our university system, let's assume it takes the child another 9 years to navigate through the uni to NYSC; he is 27.
3. An average place to work in Lagos today wants the maximum age for entry level to be 25 with masters and two years working experience. Already, our child has lost out except he/she reduces his age which is a crime.
4. If unfortunately, he stays at home additional one year before a job then he is 28. At what age will he be financially stable to get married? (Except he is celibate, he is having sex which is another line of issues all together.)
5. Most of our policy makers WILL NOT put their children in Nigerian schools which means while the average Nigerian is struggling to graduate and serve by 27, the average politician's kid is 24 with a masters' degree i.e. they 'qualify' for the standards of the juicier organizations.

If they want our kids to start secondary school by 12, then there is need for a overhaul of our educational system and work force.

Before you scream entrepreneur, how many successful ones in line with their course in the university do you know? And I don't want the wig sellers and caterers on Instagram (I am not knocking off their hustle and I know some of them are doing well). If all our graduates become bag sellers and caterers, how do we develop as a nation? How do we build technology for the next generation?

Are there systems in place for young adults to go to technical college if they are not interested in university WITHOUT discrimination? HND holders still know what they face from employers.

By the ripple effect hits, it will be like magic.

You asked alot of issues which is highly commendable. But you must understand too that things are taking shape thou slow and due to the kind of sheriff we have as governor

The policy only says you don't need to fast forward the educational pace of the child just because you're the parent or you want to. Rather, allow the child go through the process normally and mature holistically which in long run will help us all.

With the this, I can assure you that other policies will follow to address the concerns of parents.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TheMohican(m): 6:38pm On Apr 07, 2020
frozen70:

How is that your problem

When I was making the comment did I write your name??
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 6:42pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

I have a different opinion but I am not here to join issue the fact is that you clearly feel strongly about the issue when you say people should never skip yearsv,my view is that is good for your own children but should not be imposed on others
Some people allow their children smartphones others don't each to his own

Home schooling could be state funded and is in developed countries for many children with special educational needs usually those with disabilities or behaviour problems like ADHD,social phobia ,,agoraphobia anxiety etc So provision for gifted children are not out of place
Google Government funded home schooling

Home schooling cannot be state funded even in developed countries. You make a choice to withdraw your child from school and expect to be paid specifically to teach the child. If thats the case, we will all dedicate one parent to homeschool while getting benefits from the government.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by OmoOAU(m): 6:42pm On Apr 07, 2020
MISSCONGENIALITY:
I keep saying it that despite the fast that our educational system is dying, rushing kids through school and skipping classes is one of the major reasons there's mass failure in waec, jamb and other exams. The child might be very intelligent but not psychologically fit for some of the knowledge they acquire at a young age. The brain matures with age and when a chind who's suppose to be learning abc is learning further mass, the brain same to malfunction leading to poor performance.
You are very wrong.... Why then is it that over the years, those that score highest in Jamb have always been between 15-17 yrs of age..... This isn't a valid argument..... Tho sometimes, experience might be required in handling some technical exams like Jamb, that's why first timers don't perform well most times, but this has nothing to do with age...
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 6:45pm On Apr 07, 2020
einsteine:

This is trash.

I skipped classes twice because I was far ahead of my mates and had learned what needed to be learned at those classes at home. It would have been a waste of academic time if I had to be kept in a class when I had already covered and understood the curriculum for that class. It's the same reason some people are told to repeat classes or even demoted. Academic progress is not age related.

So, in your best attempt to be Einstein, you only skipped 2 classes?

You should have skipped school and get a PhD at 12.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Lamanii22(f): 6:46pm On Apr 07, 2020
StPete:
Finishing at age 18, get jambed 2, 3 or even 5 times before entry into higher institution, then finally graduate at age 30 (inclusive of ASUU strike school disruptions and what not), after nysc, you're 32 and past the age of entry level recruitment. What a funny country

I swear you've got it all.... That system can never work in Nigeria....
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 6:47pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

Home schooling cannot be state funded even in developed countries. You make a choice to withdraw your child from school and expect to be paid specifically to teach the child. If thats the case, we will all dedicate one parent to homeschool while getting benefits from the government.
Are you speaking from experience or assumption?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by OmoOAU(m): 6:48pm On Apr 07, 2020
SKINDOGGY:
Big names kills lol
lol..... it doesn't if it's what's best for u���
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by sowilli: 7:06pm On Apr 07, 2020
grandlexuz:

You were talking sense untill you spoiled it with the whites have a better IQ.
on average a white man’s IQ is higher than that of a black man..it baffles me why many of you don’t like to hear the truth.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 7:11pm On Apr 07, 2020
sowilli:
on average a white man’s IQ is higher than that of a black man..it baffles me why many of you don’t like to hear the truth.
Do you have evidence? What do you know about IQ?
What is the average IQ of white men?
How is IQ distributed in the population
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 7:28pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

Are you speaking from experience or assumption?

I just happen to know what homeschooling entails especially for a child.

An adult can learn and make choices of which direction to go. When training a genius child you are saddled with training someone who is going to be better than yourself. You cannot make career choices or material choices for the child, the child finds his path with your guidance. Its difficult, its time demanding, intellectually demanding financially demanding. You cant have second job or have any other job for that matter. The child needs you 24/7 with a routine.

Just watch the reality TV series, Child Genius UK and you will understand what families have given up to actually nuture the gifts children were born with.

To school a child, its either at home or at school. Skipping classes defeats the purpose of schooling.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 7:31pm On Apr 07, 2020
Lamanii22:

I swear you've got it all.... That system can never work in Nigeria....

Yeah the system is bad but it doesn't mean we should throw it to the trash. We still can save what is left of it else we just burn it down.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Wendybrown(f): 7:35pm On Apr 07, 2020
[quote author=goldenboyofpsy post=88197449]
Do you have a background in education or child development?

Most parents or aspiring parents think otherwise.

I actually just know a thing or two pertaining to it.

It's really not ideal for parents to make their kids skip classes but sadly majority do not know this, all they seem to care about is getting their kids to finish up in the shortest time as possible. The value of education seem to be lost to most.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Wendybrown(f): 7:37pm On Apr 07, 2020
david22uu:

have you seen the boys who cause problems at the junctions, they are usually the old ones who dropped out of school

And this is as a result of age?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 7:43pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

I just happen to know what homeschooling entails especially for a child.

An adult can learn and make choices of which direction to go. When training a genius child you are saddled with training someone who is going to be better than yourself. You cannot make career choices or material choices for the child, the child finds his path with your guidance. Its difficult, its time demanding, intellectually demanding financially demanding. You cant have second job or have any other job for that matter. The child needs you 24/7 with a routine.

Just watch the reality TV series, Child Genius UK and you will understand what families have given up to actually nuture the gifts children were born with.

To school a child, its either at home or at school. Skipping classes defeats the purpose of schooling.
You evaded the question. You said

'Home schooling cannot be state funded even in developed countries
"

That is TOTALLY FALSE
All what you are now saying is peripheral, tangential and irrelevant

Home schooling ÇAN be and is funded in specific circumstances.
Home schooling does not have to be Total ,there are hybrids of school AND home schooling so called special education provision.
Each person is different and based on qualifying criteria people can get supported. Home schooling also can involve online tutoring etc based on what is called a Statement and EHCP in the UK ,other countries have their own system
Even now as we speak because of COVID 19 Homeschooling is happening
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 7:51pm On Apr 07, 2020
einsteine:

Comprehension is apparently the issue here.
You don't even understand what you are quoting. Of course, the section of this Wikipedia article was a survey and they are looking at factors in general that schools look at for admission. Note the word 'general', then go back and read my points.

There are over 800 schools in the US for instance that give admissions without SAT or ACT scores.

Einstein wanna be, say the Wikipedia "survey" covers the 800 schools in the US, the survey says 83% of the respondents say grades of college prep course is the most contribution factor for College application evaluation.

What did you say before? I thought you said you said no test or exams?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by godquality: 7:55pm On Apr 07, 2020
That's putting the kids schooling in Lagos at a disadvantageous position compared to other states in the federation.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Morelexygold: 7:59pm On Apr 07, 2020
Well I think they should implement this law for the use pupils that will be enrolled to K.G so that they can meet up with the required age
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by zicoraads: 8:04pm On Apr 07, 2020
PrimadonnaO:

They should put their IQ into other creative uses while still under the tutelage of their parents/guardian. Going through school gradually doesn’t hamper anyone’s IQ.
Babe, 12 is too much.

10 is good. Not 12.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Kfed4ril(m): 8:10pm On Apr 07, 2020
TheMohican:
You will still see some Igbo people entering school at 10 years old

What is your problem with Igbos?
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by adanny01(m): 8:14pm On Apr 07, 2020
0m0nnakoda:

You evaded the question. You said

"

That is TOTALLY FALSE
All what you are now saying is peripheral, tangential and irrelevant

Home schooling ÇAN be and is funded in specific circumstances.
Home schooling does not have to be Total ,there are hybrids of school AND home schooling.
Each person is different and based on qualifying criteria people can get supported. Home schooling also can involve online tutoring etc based on whatever is called a Statement and EHCPin the UK ,other countries have their own system
Even now as we speak because of COVID 19 Homeschooling is happening

Lets go this way.

I said the bolded above.

You said false and said the bolded which of course you know is out of the context we have been engaged. This is our context to which i said it cannot be.
Home schooling could be state funded and is in developed countries for many children with special educational needs usually those with disabilities or behaviour problems like ADHD,social phobia ,,agoraphobia anxiety etc So provision for gifted children are not out of place

It is you at this juncture, that will tell me which and which country, like you attempted to do, but this time within the context of disabilities, AdHD, social phobia, et al. Preferably in the context that a child is gifted so government should step in to fund his homeschooling. That I believe is what we were talking about not even the disabilities you later brought in before bringing in Covid-19.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by 0m0nnakoda: 8:32pm On Apr 07, 2020
adanny01:

Lets go this way.

I said the bolded above.

You said false and said the bolded which of course you know is out of the context we have been engaged. This is our context to which i said it cannot be.

It is you at this juncture, that will tell me which and which country, like you attempted to do, but this time within the context of disabilities, AdHD, social phobia, et al. Preferably in the context that a child is gifted so government should step in to fund his homeschooling. That I believe is what we were talking about not even the disabilities you later brought in before bringing in Covid-19.

You are a liar

The posts are still there in the sequence that they transpired
I have nothing more to add other than what I first said

YOU RESPONDED BY SAYING

A came before B
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by Matrix414: 8:41pm On Apr 07, 2020
sowilli:
this companies have set very bad standards but even with this law, many should complete their education and NYSC before 25. Whilst maturity is not a functional of age, some times the older the better because the older seems to have more life experience. Life experiences develops one’s emotional intelligence which is lacking in many work places. Don’t you hear this silly talk - my education is fast? Is education supposed to be measured by speed or quality? We all want it fast in this country. There is a process for everything. We don’t have to compare with the whites, they have a better IQ

So what becomes of a child that fails jamb 3 to 5 times and ASUU successfully wastes 3 to 4 years, thereby making the child to graduate late, you'll now start seeing job vacancies that not older than 26 years. 12 is on a high side. 10 or 11 years is ok
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by PrimadonnaO(f): 8:53pm On Apr 07, 2020
zicoraads:

Babe, 12 is too much.

10 is good. Not 12.

Yeah. 12 is a bit high. 11 is perfect.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TheMohican(m): 8:56pm On Apr 07, 2020
Kfed4ril:

What is your problem with Igbos?

Absolutely nothing, I love capitalists who build fortunes by lying and cheating... lols, what's there not to love.
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by TheMohican(m): 9:03pm On Apr 07, 2020
edoairways:

Why Igbo?
Because na them, If you've been to an average J.S.S 1 you'd notice that the youngest pupil is probably an Igbo child
Re: Lagos Pegs Entry Age Into JSS1 At 12 Years by emmaelectelect(m): 9:23pm On Apr 07, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

JAMB: Ekene Franklin Scores Highest In 2019 UTME With 347 / This Picture Will Convince You How Some People Have Completely Given Up On ASUU / When The Senior That Bullied You Comes Looking For Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.