Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:33 AM

Nigerians And Begging - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians And Begging (26256 Views)

Nigerians And Hypocrisy / Photo Of A Pregnant Woman Begging With Her Child / Wife Catches Widow, 62, Begging Husband For Sex In Their House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Ojukwubucket(m): 11:50am On Apr 08, 2020
Na Hausa and Yoruba culture.. Not Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Butoneday2(m): 11:50am On Apr 08, 2020
seyi371:
When you tell poor people to have less children, they would tell you God will provide and go on having lots of kids.
Thou, sayeth the Lord of host, go ye into the world and multiply, he thy God will provide for us. As for me "Nwa bu uba" Children's are wealth, Glory be to God. Three, four children aren't that much.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by abeggnow: 11:51am On Apr 08, 2020
sisisioge:
It's really a sorry case. No sense of self responsible at all even in healthy young men and women. It even gets scarier when people of little means get married, have children and then rely on the general public to help cater for the family! If everyone struggling were to resort to begging, then there would be no one spared. It is well jare....so well!
just go to the international airport, from cleaner to police oga will be begging. Its really embarrassing they have no shame. Its not even poorverty but greed. So one could argue that Nigerians are greedy

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by pmoye(m): 11:51am On Apr 08, 2020
Not true any more.
Yes, it used to be peculiar to the AbokiLanders. But those we have been seeing everywhere on social media these days cut across all ethnic groups in the country...the Igbos, the Yorubas, the Hausas etc.

OSUigboFlatHead:
grin

Not all culture.

That shameless act is perculiar to those

A

B

O

K

Iz

There's hunger in the land

Someone should please find me something in my akant grin

GTB
Sero wan Tu Tu wan for hate sis grin

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by cmecproblem(m): 11:52am On Apr 08, 2020
If people stop giving, beggars will stop begging.

I believe a better structure can be implemented to help the real needy people.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by 0m0nnakoda: 11:54am On Apr 08, 2020
seyi371:
I thought I was the only one seeing it. It is very annoying.
go to many supermarkets in London there are beggars waiting for you at the entrance
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Princewell2012(m): 11:55am On Apr 08, 2020
MyExpression:
What do yhu mean by Nigerians LIKE begging
Does anyone like begging?
Is begging a likable trait?

People beg for assistance when they can't meet their needs.
Nobody is robbing you...they are only asking for assistance...just taking their chances on you.

Quit with the holier than thou attitude.

Given, it seems embarrassing to always flood people's timeline with begging...those posts should be controlled but please don't look down on anyone for begging. It's not a thing of pleasure.

Don't mind the op. She don't even know that begging is a very difficult thing to do.
But sometimes you don't have a choice than to do that. When that individual comits suicide this same fellow will still be the first to condemned it.
Hypocrites everywhere.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by OlawaleBammie: 11:56am On Apr 08, 2020
ImaIma1:
K

You will still see people on this forum advising them to marry with 20k salary. They will even give a breakdown of how the money can be managed.

Wat if someone marry with dat 20k and decide not to hav more than one kid just in proportionality to his pocket??

Dont b insensitive, poor people also need hapines, the need partners, the need companions, they need companies. Its just that many of dem dont apply brain as at wen due.

Been poor is not a crime but not doin wat u ought to do as at wen due is ignorance.

Earning small is not a problem, the problem is lack of management.

Yoruba adage says "bowo eku semo lo se n fi yunju mo" meaning as mouse palm take small na hin hin dey manage use am scratch hin face" grin

Earning small doesnt translates to everlasting singlehood theorem, its just dat u should knw how to manage ur resources pending the tym tins turns around.

If u re earning 20k, do ur mini marriage and give birth to one kid and stop for a while pending.....

With God on ur sides tins wil pan out good and u can start adding to ur kids like eku eda grin

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 08, 2020
kikero:

Most of the nairalanders begging here on this site and on musicians and celebrity social media sites are Southerners.

North too has a begging culture. But the South isn't far behind

The South actually has a far more prevalent begging culture than the North, truth be told...only that in the South they don't say 'fisabililahi'; it is called by other names. For example;

- your family members will ask; 'wetin you bring come?'
- your gf will demand; 'where is my gift?'
- the estate gateman will say 'oga you no dash me something?'
- your friend will demand; 'borrow me' with no intention of ever paying back.
- agbero and omo onile will tell you; 'find us something na'
- customer will say; 'oya add jara' or alternatively; 'let me taste sample' (suya buyers, I'm looking at you).
- pastor will say; 'God knows how much is in your pocket. Don't cheat God'.
- police will say; 'buy us kola oga' and 'your boys dey sun since morning o'.
- company agent will tell supplier; 'egunje or I'll tell oga say your product no good o'
- civil servant will say; 'abi you no need your job fas fas?'

And whereas the Northern almajirai just beg openly and without beating about the bush, Southern begging is not even limited to the poor. Civil servants, security personel, receptionists, customers, suppliers, family members, girlfriends; practically everyone begs in the South. It is seen as a right. And at least, Northerners see their own version of begging as a problem in their culture whereas Southerners never do. And until one admits that he has a problem, it will never be solved.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Butoneday2(m): 11:58am On Apr 08, 2020
Excuzeme:

Very True,
the Igbo would rather rob violetly or scam you with fake products, ten times the amount of money they can get from you through begging!
Which is worse?

See Yoruba and hausa people begging with Chika Ubochi, an Igbo name! shocked shocked grin grin
grin grin grin grin won't i have my begging in peace again and what's wrong with that. Bros a beg assist me joor if you have enough. I said assist ooo, I'm not begging
Re: Nigerians And Begging by AnanseK(m): 11:58am On Apr 08, 2020
Yes it is a nation of beggars:

1.The police: Oga we dey loyal
2.Car park attendants: Don’t worry Oga just park it there I will look after it. Meanwhile you have blocked others
3. Airport toilet: attendants wait after you with tissue paper in their hands , is their way of begging
4. Petrol pump attendants , happy weekend sir, means “ give me money”.
5. Gateman: Sir you’re welcome , let me check if Oga is in
6. Gateman at Ministries: The car park is full no space, on second thought “ let me check, I hope you no go stay long.”
7. Check point: your driving license sir, money expected often
8. In the church car park
9. In the mosques : I came to visit my brother but I found that he has travelled, now I don’t have the transport money back to Sokoto.

Please add more , this is not counting the thousands Professional beggars and child beggars mainly from the north.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Begging by feyisy86(m): 11:58am On Apr 08, 2020
No condition is permanent, some people beg against there own wishes
Re: Nigerians And Begging by idonhammer: 12:00pm On Apr 08, 2020
The most annoying thing is that most people who are commenting on this particular post now have other account they are using for their begging business...40% of Nigerian yoots are fcking lazy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
Hmmm but it's a cultural thing... I see selling of Asoebi as a subtle begging. Why disturb people to buy clothes that you have inflated and if they don't buy you label them as enemies...that is coercion and begging. In my place you either tell people what to wear for you and give them sample to use their hand and but or you buy and share to them. .that is what is done in East

Also If i talk they would look at it as being tribalistic but I think that begging is in some people's culture and unfortunately that is what it is...how can someone beg money to celebrate party! I mean how can a neighbor come and beg you for clothes and perfume! While growing up in the EAST I didn't witness it....it was a cultural shock when I came to Lagos

How can young men decide not to do anything and they would greet you 20 times daily and this is funny. In Igbo land , if you greet a man once he would answer you , if you greet him second time he might answer you but when you greet him the third time, he would call you and ask you why are you greeting him up and down ...weather you don't have anything to eat.

Just look at this Covid holidays, just few days people are begging ..imagine what the Igbo faced for 3 years ! With all due respect amongst these tribes in Nigeria , it is rare to see Igbo, ijaw, Benin (Edo) or even Calabar folks beg especially here in Lagos ! It's only the hausa and Yoruba that do that.... Most often ! Without being tribalistic

There are these guys that clean gutters at Ikeja roundabout, they would stay in the gutter and with their shovels and be begging you...I was forced to tell them one day to focus on their work and finish in time to get paid! And use the money ! It's here that I see youths just block road and ask people to pay them in traffic hold up ! It's begging !

I don't get it.. in some cultures begging is acceptable and I stand to be corrected! I am talking from the experience of one that have lived in Benin, East, and Yoruba and North!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Begging by sweetrace(f): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
Ask4bigneyo:
Yes.... Why do you think our politicians allowing their children to marry each other? Our leader has turn everything upsidedown only If you understand how people are suffering in this Nation.

Not all of us are born with golden spoon

Why blame everything on leaders? People gave birth to kids they don’t teach morals or self respect. The kids grow up to become swindlers, beggars and 419ers. Is the government supposed to raise people’s kids for them? If the parents teach kids the difference between right and wrong and model this for them on a daily basis, chances are the kids will grow up to become responsible adults. Even the government will comprise of responsible adults because the members of the government are from our communities.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Darkseid(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
Inside the market, I have like five people who come to beg me for mop, detergent and bucket on daily basis, this is something they can easily buy and use for a long time but no, they prefer to borrow mine because spending ₦50 is a lot to them.

Before the day runs out, the same people would spend more than 1k buying beer, food and meat but can't spare ₦500 to buy the things they need.

Begging in Nigeria isn't entirely because of hunger but because people are seeing it as way of life to get things without stressing themselves. I have two friends with good paying jobs but they are always on celebrities pages begging and dropping account numbers.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by MadeMan01(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2020
Biancah:
Why do Nigerians beg alot ? In all social media handles Nigerians like begging, if a celebrity should post anything and there are 2000 comments ,1700 of the comments would be of people pasting their account numbers.

Why do Nigerians feel entitled to someone's money. Even nairaland is not left out, account numbers are almost everywhere on nairaland.

Some were even asking S.eun for giveaway like they are entitled to his money.

Why do some Nigerians feel like they are entitled to a rich/well to do person's money?

It is so bad that some of these beggars now think it's their birthright. Example, when travelling abroad, the immigration officers shamelessly beg for money. Coming into the country, same thing (remember Davido) reacted negatively about it sometime ago. The same immigration guys extort money when you want to get a passport.. even normal human relationships are affected. Now some females see nothing shameful about "billing" a man who is wooing them within a day of meeting the fellow

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by naturefellow(m): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2020
bukatyne:

The average Nigerian is not content with what he/she has.

Also, the average Nigerian is in contant competition and always wants to lead the 'imaginary' pack and will result to begging, stealing, misappropriation of funds, shortchanging others to do so.
this is the one that hurts me the most
Re: Nigerians And Begging by DarkJeddi(m): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2020
Ask4bigneyo:
Yes.... Why do you think our politicians allowing their children to marry each other? Our leader has turn everything upsidedown only If you understand how people are suffering in this Nation.

Not all of us are born with golden spoon
So the Politicians are the ones that force children to marry each other and you are a Beggar because you were not born with a Golden Spoon..

Look around you,your friends and enemies..

How many of them were born with a Golden Spoon?

You are a Beggar because you made it your choice to be a Career Beggar,stop with the sob story..

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Mrpojj(m): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2020
Biancah:
Why do Nigerians beg alot ? In all social media handles Nigerians like begging, if a celebrity should post anything and there are 2000 comments ,1700 of the comments would be of people pasting their account numbers.

Why do Nigerians feel entitled to someone's money. Even nairaland is not left out, account numbers are almost everywhere on nairaland.

Some were even asking S.eun for giveaway like they are entitled to his money.

Why do some Nigerians feel like they are entitled to a rich/well to do person's money?

Pple who don't have integrity

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by MZrapper(f): 12:02pm On Apr 08, 2020
pmoye:
I told her too!
grin grin grin
They will come for her head soon. Community of Allied Nigerian E-Beggars (CANEB).

Hahahahahahahaha.

CANEB?? grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by ThinkB4mention(f): 12:03pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

Go and die..

Itz no big deal.. Ok
Clown.... So if a bigger didn't get a help, so the next thing is death?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Begging by lereinter(m): 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
ImaIma1:
K

You will still see people on this forum advising them to marry with 20k salary. They will even give a breakdown of how the money can be managed.

Eyah

You have not married too
Re: Nigerians And Begging by IMASTEX: 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
sisisioge:

Na so o. Total monthly income 50k....yet they have 4 kids! Housing, food, clothing, medical, education, etc are there to be sorted o. It is well.
Others are poor expense choices made. I know a single guy who depends on salary advance monthly yet no visible asset and always broke.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by pmoye(m): 12:05pm On Apr 08, 2020
grin grin grin

Abi now. The thing tire me jare.

MZrapper:

Hahahahahahahaha.

CANEB?? grin

Re: Nigerians And Begging by lereinter(m): 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2020
iCauseTrouble:
The most painful of it is some youths have taken begging as profession. You see them on every giveaway thread

Who doesn't like freebies
Re: Nigerians And Begging by bendazum: 12:06pm On Apr 08, 2020
ImaIma1:
K

This happens where the joint earning of husband and wife is up to #70 000 at least.

How much was your Pa earning when he saw your ma?

People will marry joor.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Begging by lereinter(m): 12:07pm On Apr 08, 2020
faithfull18:
Hmmn, I still posted about this recently.

As much as we have people genuinely in need, most people have the 'who doesn't like free money' mentality.

It's everywhere now, on the road, banks, streets, offices etc.

It only shows the poverty in the land
Re: Nigerians And Begging by dannybrasky(m): 12:07pm On Apr 08, 2020
slyfoxxjoe:
It is o. In Nigeria it’s very easy to spend your entire salary just settling people if you’re not careful. From your friends, to your colleagues to every gateman, security guard and staff of any establishment you patronize, even right down to random people you have no business with. The thing tire me sometimes.

But it’s understandable with the state of our economy and job market. Though some have just made it into a habit.

Very Correct with the bolded.
Sad thing is some people have actually turned this begging scheme to an alternate source of income.
For instance I once worked in an establishment where by as soon as salary is being paid,some of my colleagues lavish their salaries in less than 3 to 5 days,and then resort to begging other colleges in order to survive/ keep afloat for the rest of the month.
I am so convinced it is a Nigerian thing,try this in saner climes and they will be eating their guts for breakfast.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Begging by DarkJeddi(m): 12:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
MyExpression:
What do yhu mean by Nigerians LIKE begging
Does anyone like begging?
Is begging a likable trait?

People beg for assistance when they can't meet their needs.
Nobody is robbing you...they are only asking for assistance...just taking their chances on you.

Quit with the holier than thou attitude.

Given, it seems embarrassing to always flood people's timeline with begging...those posts should be controlled but please don't look down on anyone for begging. It's not a thing of pleasure.
Nobody is looking down on any one,some people actually embarrass others with their begging attitude..

You greet somebody Good Morning and the next thing,he is trying to twiddle something out of you..

If you don't give him,he will start carrying face like an Agama lizard,as if he gave you money to keep for him.. angry

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by OkoAmarashy: 12:08pm On Apr 08, 2020
I know someone who lives in a Miniflat in Yaba who is constantly posting her account numbers online, begging shamelessly. This same lady earns about 110k per month as basic salary, excluding allowances. I was forced to block her when she became a nuisance to my timeline. This same person begs other colleagues for money. Any small thing, she would be saying "bless me".

She was paid her March salary on the 20th of March and the company added emergency bonus for employees to stock up. That evening, she was tagging Don Jazzy that she had not eaten for 2 days and needed to stock up against lockdown. Very terrible behaviour.

17 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Obituary Of A Man & His Mother Buried Same Day In Nsukka, Enugu (Photo) / Cobbler And His Wife Welcome Triplets In Uyo, Cry For Help (pics) / The reason Why I Will Consider My Dad First Before My Mom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.