Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Nigerians And Begging - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerians And Begging (26220 Views)

Nigerians And Hypocrisy / Photo Of A Pregnant Woman Begging With Her Child / Wife Catches Widow, 62, Begging Husband For Sex In Their House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Nobody: 12:30pm On Apr 08, 2020
IMASTEX:

Others are poor expense chooses made. I know a single guy who depends on salary advance monthly yet no visible asset and always broke.

Most people nowadays; aided in their recklessness by their spouses; just don't know how to manage their expenses. But they want to be rich. Hah, I wish them the best of luck; because with that attitude and that objective; they will need outright miracles.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by kayalla(f): 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2020
It's the updated version of our culture
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Biancah(f): 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2020
Ablemax:

Send me your acc number babe
No, use it and buy something nice for your momma.

kikero:

Because our economy is a share the money economy, not a productive economy

As a result, most people don't have enough cash at hand.

Add the job scarcity thing , and you have the begging culture.

Even most people that is ok financially still beg, go to Twitter and see them.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Ishilove: 12:31pm On Apr 08, 2020
OkoAmarashy:
I know someone who lives in a Miniflat in Yaba who is constantly posting her account numbers online, begging shamelessly. This same lady earns about 110k per month as basic salary, excluding allowances. I was forced to block her when she became a nuisance to my timeline. This same person begs other colleagues for money. Any small thing, she would be saying "bless me".

She was paid her March salary on the 20th of March and the company added emergency bonus for employees to stock up. That evening, she was tagging Don Jazzy that she had not eaten for 2 days and needed to stock up against lockdown. Very terrible behaviour.
She is greedy and totally shameless.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by favour32(m): 12:32pm On Apr 08, 2020
Mind ya business.
If you get give if you nor get stay ya lane.
Helping hands don save lives.
Nor let other people matter make ya eye dey red.
I dey see the online beggars, I mind my business. Anytime I wan give out money I go do am.
Nobody wey dey extremely comfortable dey beg except e head nor correct.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by victorazyvictor(m): 12:34pm On Apr 08, 2020
Biancah:
Why do Nigerians beg alot ? In all social media handles Nigerians like begging, if a celebrity should post anything and there are 2000 comments ,1700 of the comments would be of people pasting their account numbers.

Why do Nigerians feel entitled to someone's money. Even nairaland is not left out, account numbers are almost everywhere on nairaland.

Some were even asking S.eun for giveaway like they are entitled to his money.

Why do some Nigerians feel like they are entitled to a rich/well to do person's money?

Bianca plz show me love

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:35pm On Apr 08, 2020
Another set of people that beg are Nigerian women. From recharge card to money for pad...it can be so shameful

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by asthmacoughend(m): 12:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
Biancah:
Why do Nigerians beg alot ? In all social media handles Nigerians like begging, if a celebrity should post anything and there are 2000 comments ,1700 of the comments would be of people pasting their account numbers.

Why do Nigerians feel entitled to someone's money. Even nairaland is not left out, account numbers are almost everywhere on nairaland.

Why do some Nigerians feel like they are entitled to a rich/well to do person's money?
Begging is Never any Tribe ,Country Culture ,There are Beggers all over the World .Abi you don't traveled all over the World .If you have and not begging ,Great ! If you don't have and yet not begging that your own ...Leave Beggers alone Biko .Better to beg than Stealing.Oya I beg this Hunger wan Kill person for house oooo.Anyone to bless me ...make I send my details.No food stuffs ooo
Re: Nigerians And Begging by bjtinz: 12:36pm On Apr 08, 2020
Anyway like most have said, there may be occasional trying times that warrant asking for help.

To me the real problem are those serial 'career' beggars. Eg here on NL you see a moniker asking money FOR OVER A YEAR, and she/he sees nothing wrong. Haba!!

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
kayalla:
It's the updated version of our culture

Meet NIGERIAN BABE today the next thing is she would beg for recharge card next is tell you her family issue such a their inability to pay rent blablabla

Then invite her to come....she go beg you for transportation fare tro and fro
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Nobody: 12:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
dannybrasky:

Very Correct with the bolded.
Sad thing is some people have actually turned this begging scheme to an alternate source of income.
For instance I once worked in an establishment where by as soon as salary is being paid,some of my colleagues lavish their salaries in less than 3 to 5 days,and then resort to begging other colleges in order to survive/ keep afloat for the rest of the month.
I am so convinced it is a Nigerian thing,try this in saner climes and they will be eating their guts for breakfast.
hahaha. That’s crazy. I can understand giving a helping hand to people in genuine need due to unemployment but why would I dash money to someone that works in the same fvkcing place that I do? Not my fault if you can’t manage your own finances properly.

The most I can do is lend you the money and if I do then expect me to physically attach myself to your body on the next pay day because I’m not letting it go beyond that day.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by IMASTEX: 12:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
RisenPhoenix:

Most people nowadays; aided in their recklessness by their spouses; just don't know how to manage their expenses. But they want to be rich. Hah, I wish them the best of luck; because with that attitude and that objective; they will need outright miracles.
Agreed. Thus the reason they have become very religious even when the results remained unchanged. I've personally counselled a staff on several occasions seeing how he keeps going in circles of financial limitations due to his personal decision.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by blackboy(m): 12:37pm On Apr 08, 2020
No, but our government/politicians have made many beggars n begging a norm. Lion of Bourdilon
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Mightyhaiz: 12:38pm On Apr 08, 2020
Very disgusting to say the least.. No sense of selfworth.. Even among the married ones with kids...
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Bizgold: 12:39pm On Apr 08, 2020
Like those guys in shoprite and cash n carry.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by kratosonofzeus: 12:41pm On Apr 08, 2020
Mstick:
Yes, it has become part of the Nigerian culture.

It's disgusting because when I see people begging on social media I wonder how they would have gotten financial help if social media didn't exist.

Yeah things are hard but in this country we encourage poverty, we praise the suffering mentality.

how do you think this can be solved
Re: Nigerians And Begging by shogsman(m): 12:42pm On Apr 08, 2020
I created a gaming group on Facebook and I added a lot of my American, Canadian gamer friends and of course my naija people, until one close white friend of mine sent me screenshots of how like 25% of the group was begging him for money and visa,I have never felt so ashamed in my entire life

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:42pm On Apr 08, 2020
Darkseid:
Inside the market, I have like five people who come to beg me for mop, detergent and bucket on daily basis, this is something they can easily buy and use for a long time but no, they prefer to borrow mine because spending ₦50 is a lot to them.

Before the day runs out, the same people would spend more than 1k buying beer, food and meat but can't spare ₦500 to buy the things they need.

Begging in Nigeria isn't entirely because of hunger but because people are seeing it as way of life to get things without stressing themselves. I have two friends with good paying jobs but they are always on celebrities pages begging and dropping account numbers.

Here in Lagos ...I have my neighbor that would always leave their flat for ours to ask for toothpaste, perfume etc...and guess what? They are the owners of the apartment... It is acceptable in some culture

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by bjtinz: 12:43pm On Apr 08, 2020
asthmacoughend:
Begging is Never any Tribe ,Country Culture ,There are Beggers all over the World .Abi you don't traveled all over the World .If you have and not begging ,Great ! If you don't have and yet not begging that your own ...Leave Beggers alone Biko .Better to beg than Stealing.Oya I beg this Hunger wan Kill person for house oooo.Anyone to bless me ...make I send my details.No food stuffs ooo

See your mouth. You were the one that opened a thread asking about NL millionaire's as if they owe you anything. Your kind is actually the type OP is referring to.

You mean you can sell land and car, but currently lack food to eat?. Don't be greedy madam

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Jeffyblaq(m): 12:43pm On Apr 08, 2020
ThinkB4mention:

Clown.... So if a bigger didn't get a help, so the next thing is death?

So sorry.. I don't mean much of a harm..

But just try and apply some kinda of touch of wisdom in your field of begging.

At least, be professional. Ok
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Unekwunice: 12:43pm On Apr 08, 2020
They are contributors to the content on the site , so if he does a giveaway it is not out of place .

Biancah:

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:44pm On Apr 08, 2020
Ojukwubucket:
Na Hausa and Yoruba culture.. Not Igbo
exactly....you rarely see Benin man, Igbo man, ijaw man or even Esan man beg unless he is totally handicapped

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by AmuDimpka: 12:46pm On Apr 08, 2020
Even the country was begging for ventilators...it is either we are begging for grants or aids or we are looking for whom to borrow from and not pay !

This has cascaded down ...it was Igbo woman (Ngozi) that helped erased the one we borrowed now we have gone back to borrowing and begging again

To some Nigerian culture they don't see anything wrong about it

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Amhappy(f): 12:48pm On Apr 08, 2020
Because a lot of people have turned begging to an occupation doesn't make asking for help wrong. Almost every country in the world today is asking for help. Countries not individuals. Abuse is the problem. When you cannot separate mechanics from madmen. People should desist from it. Is makes it difficult for genuine people in need to get help.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians And Begging by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 08, 2020
lilyheaven:

If you make a mistake and call anyone, the next thing you will hear is , hunger ooo. cheesy
Then I will stop calling you or picking your calls.

Hunger and u are still breathing.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by bobolaga: 12:50pm On Apr 08, 2020
Begging is a spirit of criminals,because, if refuse to give, you be on the radar of un forgiveness.Apart from social media begging,all Nigeria securities checks inn post are all begging including Airports and public road transports .
Re: Nigerians And Begging by Karleb(m): 12:53pm On Apr 08, 2020
Go to places like Ibadan and Ilorin and your question shall be answered!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians And Begging by olumide4christ: 12:55pm On Apr 08, 2020
Marketwindow:

Madam is obvious you have some benefits you depend on....tell me y Nigerians abroad can't go home again is becuz the benefits abroad is sweet and it gives some level of financial confidence. Begging is all over the world.
Everybody is entitled to good and comfortable life.

Abroad, they have benefits because everyone is bound to pay tax as far as they earn an income or make a profit, whether they like it or not. Its from this tax that the government gets funds to provide all the benefits you are talking about.

Here in Nigeria, how many people pay tax - working class or business men or companies? So many individuals and companies here make money every month and do not remit tax to the government, some are not even registered with FIRS or the state tax board. If people don't pay tax, how do you want government to give the same kind of benefits to citizens here like their Western counterparts?

Let's call a spade a spade for once!
Re: Nigerians And Begging by adeniyilamlek(m): 12:56pm On Apr 08, 2020
pmoye:
I tire o!
I know some people that will soon attack the Op over this. People who consider the right to beg as their inalienable and fundamental human right.

By the way, it isn't just those who come out on SM to beg, it is virtually everywhere.

The police stops you on the road and beg. The Road Safety the same. Even soldiers don join them now. Children, fathers, mothers, pastors, imam... It is every where. Yes, it has become a culture. And it is no longer peculiar to Abokis. Everyone now does it.

If you have every landed in Nigeria from a foreign flight, you will simply be ashamed at how airport officers (fully employed by the way!) go dey beg you for dollars.
The worst part of it is you show the remotest interest in a girl and immediately she tries turning you into ATM. This is troubling-ly common on Nairaland these days. Hardly will you be able to have a decent conversation with a girl and you won't wake up one day to her request for cash.

We shouldn't explain this away as a consequence of poor economy. It is simply lack of home training, greed, and a nasty sense of entitlement that others are meant to be responsible for your life. The only sustainable response to harsh economic realities is hard work and smart investment. How many of those begging for money have cared to venture into a line of work they don't like? There is no year I spend a couple of months in Nigeria that I will not talk people into lending me their land to farm. Even as a terribly poor undergraduate student I farmed from my first year to the fvcking final year. That and smart investment have been my only response to poverty.

No one should come out and start blaming economic hardship. It is simply lack of proper home training. Unfortunately, some of the parents are even worse than the children, and what you don't have you cannot give. As poor as my parents were, dem no born you well to come to the house with something that belongs to someone else. They would almost kill you. But these days we have parents who also engage in the shameful career of begging.

Well said bro...most lady don turn all nigga to ATM .....o sumi o
Re: Nigerians And Begging by thunray: 12:57pm On Apr 08, 2020
SalomonKane:
it's poverty of the mind.
You have said it all.
Re: Nigerians And Begging by ThinkB4mention(f): 12:58pm On Apr 08, 2020
Jeffyblaq:

So sorry.. I don't mean much of a harm..

But just try and apply some kinda of touch of wisdom in your field of begging.

At least, be professional. Ok
There's something you don't understand about begging.....
Some beggars can still feed u o
Hope you no that.....
Or can't your pastor feed u?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Man Donates Car To Father Of Boy Whose Eyes Were Plucked Out In Kaduna. Photos / The reason Why I Will Consider My Dad First Before My Mom / Sex In Marriage: Tips For Mutual Satisfaction | Surehome Seminar February

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.