Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,414 members, 7,843,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 09:12 PM

Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs (11492 Views)

List Of Those APC Blame For Nigeria's Lack of Progress Under Buhari / Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by PhysicsHD: 3:56pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

1. Yes, Caucasians do take more risks. Lets look at travelling for instance. Many Nigerians usually only go the the UK or US for leisure. How many Nigerian students go back-packing? How many do you see volunteering in places where they can be killed? Evidence suggests that you will find Caucasians volunteering in Afghanistan, China, India, Iraq?

Well, I think going to the UK or US is also a matter of going to where their family and relatives abroad are located. You also have to consider that in terms of entertainment, the US is far superior to almost every other country, but most importantly, the US and the UK speak and write in English, the official language of Nigeria.

There are many Nigerians who go to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Canada, South Africa, in addition to the US and UK in order to eke out a living or for education, but sometimes only for holiday (well probably not Ireland, Saudia Arabia or Canada), and take the risk of enduring racism, humiliation (for being Nigerian), religious discrimination, crime, or the inability to integrate into or not be an outcast in their host societies, because they know such risks are better than staying in a bad or deteriorating situation in Nigeria.

I've met multiple  Nigerian Americans with relatives serving in the U.S. military, so that is an example of being in places where they can be killed, but yes by and large Nigerians don't intentionally run near death. The main thing to consider here is that volunteering is a luxury and volunteering in unsafe areas is an even greater luxury. People from places where foreigners might come in and volunteer to help development or help the sick are not really going to go to volunteer to help in Iraq or Afghanistan or China in significant numbers. I would consider Nigeria to be one of those places.

The back-packing thing also seems like a luxury thing to me and also a cultural thing. But I guess you mean here that hiking and outdoorsy activities are evidence of a more bold and risk-taking culture. I'm not too sure of that. When you live in a highly developed artificial city all of your life, going up a mountain or deep into a forest is like an exaggerated way to realize the desire of experiencing "nature" or something "new". It all seems like the kind of indulgence born out of development rather than any intrinsic characteristic. Afterall, when the European age of exploration started only certain nations among the white race (the developed/most advanced nations) had the luxury and the desire to pursue something "new." The rest of them were doing nothing as far as adventure and were rather insular.

I also think some of the more advanced or courageous nations amongst blacks took some risks too.

2. People are inspired by what their parents did. In western europe, you find individuals who continually strive to compete with what was achieved by their fore-bearers. What are the rich people doing in Nigeria if not having or trying to have intimacy. Little wonder that Nigeria has become a decadent society with old pot-bellied men sleeping with girls young enough to be their grand kids. Even young guys have caught that bug. They make small dough and immediately spend it drinking and paying for sex.

I guess so. I think there are some things that do inspire modern Nigerians. In the North, dan Fodio inspires both Islamist radicals and legitimate Arabic scholars and scholars of Islam.

In the south, you find a great interest in art, history, and literature, based on the history of their forefathers but a poverty of interest in pure science. I'm sure this would have been quite different if there had been many early pioneering Nigerian scientists who made landmark, world-class discoveries/innovations, etc. such as in China or India. With business, if there had been several large, world-class companies, industries, etc. the same would apply.

It's never too late to lay the foundation, and in this regard I once again have to bring up the issue of groups like the Jews. Maybe they are too unique a group to be a good reference point, but it seems that their forefathers were moral scholars, prophets, religious fanatics, martyrs, dream interpreters, etc. but they didn't need to look at their ancestors' history to tell them what they needed to focus on to succeed in Europe. They focused on finance and economics and on science, despite having no history to inspire them in such directions and they did wonderfully after adapting.

3. History suggests that expansionist states were successful even though all empires will crumble eventually. Having 300 kings in a place like Nigeria suggests that the individuals at that time did not really have any grand ideas. They were content with their little villages. England and Wales were under one Saxon king before William the conqueror in 1066. Scotland was conquered several times before the Acts of Union in 1707. The picts did not become extinct; they became assimilated by a superior group and their language died. Did the Cornish people of Cornwall become extinct or their language did?

Well I don't really believe the 300 kings thing, so maybe you can mention some of the kings you're talking about . Every ethnic group and sub-ethnic group may have later allocated itself a king or exalted a community elder to a king due to politics introduced by the British but I don't think there were ever anything like up 30 kings in Nigeria.

I think Kanem-Bornu, Sokoto, Oyo, and Benin did have grandiose plans, but you seem to be saying that because they didn't conquer enough, that they should be considered failures in certain aspects. You might be right. However, I think this suggests a lack of superior technology and numbers, rather than outright aversion to risk or unwillingness to expand due to contentment.

One other thing to consider, however, is that most places in Nigeria that could be called states were more like city-states. The situation was more like that of the various Greek city-states rather than like one where there is only Rome and Carthage or only Britain and Ireland. I don't think the Greeks were averse to risk or unadventurous before Alexander the Great, though.

Scotland was invaded and routed at some important battles, but I'm not sure they were ever really conquered by England. And yes Wales and England were one, but the Welsh never stood a chance for resisting off sheer numbers alone. They're a small group. You're right on the Picts, my mistake. The Cornish people did not get fully absorbed, as I understand it. Just many of them.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by PhysicsHD: 4:05pm On Jan 05, 2011
4. Please find Nigerians today who can compare to these past Nigerians - Sir Odumeghu Ojukwu, Sanusi Dantata, Sir Mobolaji Bank-Anthony, S. L. Edu, Emmanuel Akwiwu, Odutola, Ade Tuyo. Don't mention individuals who derived their wealth from stolen funds and monopolies protected by successive governments.

I honestly couldn't.  Not because I don't know any that can compare but because I really don't know the assets and wealth of many of the big names you hear about today nor do I know the wealth of many of the owners of companies in Nigeria today that you don't hear about. I'm actually quite sure there are a lot of legitimate Nigerian millionaires around, but the idea I was bringing into consideration is this: Are we sure we are not claiming that the first few great pioneers in an area (being a millionaire/being a business mogul) are vastly superior and the only real examples of their type (great business moguls/millionaires) when in fact, their modern-day equivalents or even superiors (in terms of relative wealth) are spread about more evenly and are more numerous but must necessarily be less noticeable and less glaring and famous than their predecessors were because of the different nature of the playing field today? I suspect this is really the case.

There are certain select parts of a long passage by James Gleick, in his biography of Richard Feynman, that convey what I'm saying here a bit more clearly, lucidly, and beautifully, though this deals with  "genius" (you can put in business genius/creativity here):

"There was only one Einstein.  For schoolchildren and neuropsychologists alike, he stood as an icon of intellectual power.  He seemed - but was this true? - to have possessed a rare and distinct quality, genius as an essence, not a mere statistical extremum on a supposed bell-curve of intelligence.  This was the conundrum of genius.  Was genius truly special?  Or was it a matter of degree - a miler breaking 3:50 rather than 4:10?  (A shifting bell-curve, too: yesterday's record-setter, today's also-ran.) "

"When otherwise sober scientists speak of the genius as magician, wizard, or superhuman, are they merely indulging in a flight of literary fancy?  When people speak of the borderline between genius and madness, why is it so evident what they mean?  And a question that has barely been asked (the where-are-the-.400-hitters question): Why, as the pool of available humans has risen from one hundred million to one billion to five billion, has the production of geniuses - Shakespeares, Newtons, Mozarts, Einsteins - seemingly choked off to nothing, genius itself coming to seem like the property of the past?"

"By understanding genius, rationalizing it, celebrating it, and teasing out its mechanisms, perhaps they could make the process of discovery and invention less accidental.  In later times that motivation has not disappeared.  More overtly than ever, the nature of genius - genius as the engine of scientific discovery - has become an issue bound up with the economic fortunes of nations.  Amid the vast modern network of universities, corporate laboratories, and national science foundations has arisen an awareness that the best financed and best organized of research enterprises have not learned to engender, perhaps not even to recognize, world-turning originality."

"Literary and music theory, and the history of science as well, lost interest not only in the old-fashioned sports-fan approach - Homer versus Virgil - but also in the very idea of genius itself as a quality in the possession of certain historical figures.  Perhaps genius was an artifact of a culture's psychology, a symptom of a particular form of hero worship.  Reputations of greatness come and go, after all, propped up by the sociopolitical needs of an empowered sector of the community and then slapped away by a restructuring of the historical context.  The music of Mozart strikes certain ears as evidence of genius, but it was not always so - critics of another time considered it prissy and bewigged - nor will it always be.  In the modern style, to ask about his genius is to ask the wrong question. Even to ask why he was "better" than, say, Antonio Salieri would be the crudest of gaffes.  A modern music theorist might, in his secret heart, carry an undeconstructed torch for Mozart, might feel the old damnably ineffable rapture; still he understands that genius is a relic of outmoded romanticism.  Mozart's listeners are as inextricable a part of the magic as the observer is a part of the quantum-mechanical equation.  Their interests and desires help form the context without which the music is no more than an abstract sequence of notes - or so the argument goes.  Mozart's genius, if it existed at all, was not a substance, not even a quality of mind, but a byplay, a give and take within a cultural context.
How strange, then, that coolly rational scientists should be the last serious scholars to believe not just in genius but in geniuses; to maintain a mental pantheon of heroes;"

"Meanwhile, before their eyes, the world has grown too vast and multifarious for the towering genius of the old kind.  Artists struggle to keep their heads above the tide.  Norman Mailer, publishing yet another novel doomed to fall short of ambitions formed in an earlier time, notices: "There are no large people any more.  I've been studying Picasso lately and look at who his contemporaries were: Freud, Einstein."  He saw the change in his own lifetime without understanding it.  (Few of those looking for genius understood where it had gone.)  He appeared on a literary scene so narrow that conventional first novels by writers like James Jones made them appear plausible successors to Faulkner and Hemingway.  He slowly sank into a thicket of hundreds of equally talented, original, and hard-driving novelists, each just as likely to be tagged as a budding genius.  In a world into which Amis, Beckett, Cheever, Drabble, Ellison, Fuentes, Grass, Heller, Ishiguro, Jones, Kazantzakis, Lessing, Nabokov, Oates, Pym, Queneau, Roth, Solzhenitsyn, Theroux, Updike, Vargas Llosa, Waugh, Xue, Yates, and Zoshchenko - or any other two dozen fiction writers - had never been born, Mailer and any other potential genius would have had a better chance of towering.  In a less crowded field, among shorter yardsticks, a novelist would not just have seemed bigger.  He would have been bigger."

""Giants have not ceded to mere mortals," the evolutionary theorist Stephen Jay Gould wrote in an iconoclastic 1983 essay.  "Rather, the boundaries, have been restricted and the edges smoothed."  He was not talking about algae, artists, or paleontologists but about baseball players.  Where are the .400 hitters?  Why have they vanished into the mythic past, when technical skills, physical conditioning, and the population on which organized baseball draws have all improved?  his answer: Baseball's giants[b] have dwindled into a more uniform landscape.  Standards have risen.  The distance between the best and worst batters, and between the best and worst pitchers, has fallen.[/b]  Gould showed by statistical analysis that the extinction of the .400 hitter was only the more visible side of a general softening of extremes: the .100 hitter has faded as well.  The best and worst of all come closer to the average.  Few fans like to imagine that Ted Williams would recede toward the mean in the modern major leagues, or that the overweight, hard-drinking Babe Ruth would fail to dominate the scientifically engineered physiques of his later competitors, or that dozens of today's nameless young base-stealers could outrun Ty Cobb, but it is inevitably so.  Enthusiasts of track and field cannot entertain the baseball fan's nostalgia; their statistics measure athlete against nature instead of athlete against athlete, and the lesson from decade to decade is clear.  There is such a thing as progress.  Nostalgia conceals it while magnifying the geniuses of the past."

"Of course genius is exceptional and statistics-defying.  Still, the modern would-be Mozart must contend with certain statistics: that the entire educated population of eighteenth-century Vienna would fit into a large New York apartment block; that in a given year the United States Copyright Office registers close to two hundred thousand "works of the performing arts," from advertising jingles to epic tone poems.  Composers and painters now awake into a universe with a nearly infinite range of genres to choose from and rebel against.  Mozart did not have to choose an audience or style.  His community was in place.  Are the latter-day Mozarts not being born, or are they all around, bumping shoulders with one another, scrabbling for cultural scraps, struggling to be newer than new, their stature inevitably shrinking all the while?"
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by homerac7: 4:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
@ eku_bear, u dey kolo o! Na my alma Mata u mess like dat? B careful o, or else na ur backyard d next bomb blast go sound. Anyway sha, I concur wt u to large extent on d subject matter.

@ oyb, God bless u for ur analyses.

@ safergo, u knw d terrain wella.

@ many others, una sabi.

@ all, its very shown dt many people running their mouths (fingers) here don't even knw what it takes to do business in nigeria on first hand basis. Most r based on hearsay and what dey imagine. Anybody neckdeep will tel u dt textbook models don't work in nigerian business environment as an entrepreneur.

Basically, d only thing dt work here is crime!

U can't come from a 'sane' society and fit in successfully here except u hav d first nature. I knw many who failed because of dt, so others learnt to play it safe by avoiding or staying on d side stream.

If u r on ground, u will knw dt businesses here have short lifespan because u have to change along wt new socio-economic demands or u go moribund. Don't think of traditional business lines, u just be ready to change. Perfect example is UAC.

Some mentioned Indian, Chinese, Lebanese and Korean businesses as examples of entrepreneurial excellencies. Partially u r right. To get d bigger picture, u will b amazed at how disorganized n corrupt d organized private sector is. They r majorly products of criminal collusion btw foreigners n locals: they r never alone. Many of dos businesses can only prosper in nigerian setting. Nigerian rogues hardly deal wt another nigerian, a foreigner has to b brought in. It may sound like lazy excuses, but it only shows how unbelivably brazen and complex crime has mixed wt business.

Apart from trading businesses, can someone tell me another sector Dts so thriving? Where r d Eleganza industries? Where r d locally owned plastic industries? How many of d existing ones r still in dr traditional businesses of 20 years ago? Haven't most diversified into trading and real estates? Check out John Holt. Where is Cadbury? How much on Lever Brothers products r still made in Nigeria? Have these giants been replaced? By who? How legitimate r their businesses?

D bottom line is dt only crime thrives here, Dts y trading is d in-thing. Successful Legitimate businesses aren't many. For ur local efforts, there r cheaper Chinese or Indian alternative, so y d stress? I'm also involved in construction materials manufacturing business where we struggle to make profit and yet hav to compete wt cheaper Chinese n Indian dumps. Cost of production is high and allied services r not cheaply available. D govt turns blind eyes to our complains abt d foreign goods and dey turn their ears away or simply talk and do nothing more. Many of them r partners wt d foreign criminals and this shield them. If any of y guys hav auditor friends who practice locally, just ask him/her n u will hear enough.

If u come into nigerial business water wt WSJ, HBS n co gear, u r sure to close shop soon. It's either u do crime n roll big or play it gentle n manage ur small business. It's dirtier dn u think n not for innocent beginners.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by ekubear1: 4:39pm On Jan 05, 2011
homerac7:

@ eku_bear, u dey kolo o! Na my alma Mata u mess like dat? B careful o, or else na your backyard d next bomb blast go sound. Anyway sha, I concur wt u to large extent on d subject matter.

Lol, I reread what I wrote and now see how it could be interpreted as a diss grin

My bad, I didn't mean it that way at all. I was trying to convey familiarity/ownership/understanding, not contempt. I wouldn't intentionally diss my own state's university tongue
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by homerac7: 4:43pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^

Nothing do u. I'm Igbo bt proud to b associated wt Ekiti.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 5:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
PhysicsHD:

I honestly couldn't.  Not because I don't know any that can compare but because I really don't know the assets and wealth of many of the big names you hear about today nor do I know the wealth of many of the owners of companies in Nigeria today that you don't hear about. I'm actually quite sure there are a lot of legitimate Nigerian millionaires around, but the idea I was bringing into consideration is this: Are we sure we are not claiming that the first few great pioneers in an area (being a millionaire/being a business mogul) are vastly superior and the only real examples of their type (great business moguls/millionaires) when in fact, their modern-day equivalents or even superiors (in terms of relative wealth) are spread about more evenly and are more numerous but must necessarily be less noticeable and less glaring and famous than their predecessors were because of the different nature of the playing field today? I suspect this is really the case.

There are certain select parts of a long passage by James Gleick, in his biography of Richard Feynman, that convey what I'm saying here a bit more clearly, lucidly, and beautifully, though this deals with  "genius" (you can put in business genius/creativity here):

"There was only one Einstein.  For schoolchildren and neuropsychologists alike, he stood as an icon of intellectual power.  He seemed - but was this true? - to have possessed a rare and distinct quality, genius as an essence, not a mere statistical extremum on a supposed bell-curve of intelligence.  This was the conundrum of genius.  Was genius truly special?  Or was it a matter of degree - a miler breaking 3:50 rather than 4:10?  (A shifting bell-curve, too: yesterday's record-setter, today's also-ran.) "

"When otherwise sober scientists speak of the genius as magician, wizard, or superhuman, are they merely indulging in a flight of literary fancy?  When people speak of the borderline between genius and madness, why is it so evident what they mean?  And a question that has barely been asked (the where-are-the-.400-hitters question): Why, as the pool of available humans has risen from one hundred million to one billion to five billion, has the production of geniuses - Shakespeares, Newtons, Mozarts, Einsteins - seemingly choked off to nothing, genius itself coming to seem like the property of the past?"

"By understanding genius, rationalizing it, celebrating it, and teasing out its mechanisms, perhaps they could make the process of discovery and invention less accidental.  In later times that motivation has not disappeared.  More overtly than ever, the nature of genius - genius as the engine of scientific discovery - has become an issue bound up with the economic fortunes of nations.  Amid the vast modern network of universities, corporate laboratories, and national science foundations has arisen an awareness that the best financed and best organized of research enterprises have not learned to engender, perhaps not even to recognize, world-turning originality."

"Literary and music theory, and the history of science as well, lost interest not only in the old-fashioned sports-fan approach - Homer versus Virgil - but also in the very idea of genius itself as a quality in the possession of certain historical figures.  Perhaps genius was an artifact of a culture's psychology, a symptom of a particular form of hero worship.  Reputations of greatness come and go, after all, propped up by the sociopolitical needs of an empowered sector of the community and then slapped away by a restructuring of the historical context.  The music of Mozart strikes certain ears as evidence of genius, but it was not always so - critics of another time considered it prissy and bewigged - nor will it always be.  In the modern style, to ask about his genius is to ask the wrong question. Even to ask why he was "better" than, say, Antonio Salieri would be the crudest of gaffes.  A modern music theorist might, in his secret heart, carry an undeconstructed torch for Mozart, might feel the old damnably ineffable rapture; still he understands that genius is a relic of outmoded romanticism.  Mozart's listeners are as inextricable a part of the magic as the observer is a part of the quantum-mechanical equation.  Their interests and desires help form the context without which the music is no more than an abstract sequence of notes - or so the argument goes.  Mozart's genius, if it existed at all, was not a substance, not even a quality of mind, but a byplay, a give and take within a cultural context.
How strange, then, that coolly rational scientists should be the last serious scholars to believe not just in genius but in geniuses; to maintain a mental pantheon of heroes;"

"Meanwhile, before their eyes, the world has grown too vast and multifarious for the towering genius of the old kind.  Artists struggle to keep their heads above the tide.  Norman Mailer, publishing yet another novel doomed to fall short of ambitions formed in an earlier time, notices: "There are no large people any more.  I've been studying Picasso lately and look at who his contemporaries were: Freud, Einstein."  He saw the change in his own lifetime without understanding it.  (Few of those looking for genius understood where it had gone.)  He appeared on a literary scene so narrow that conventional first novels by writers like James Jones made them appear plausible successors to Faulkner and Hemingway.  He slowly sank into a thicket of hundreds of equally talented, original, and hard-driving novelists, each just as likely to be tagged as a budding genius.  In a world into which Amis, Beckett, Cheever, Drabble, Ellison, Fuentes, Grass, Heller, Ishiguro, Jones, Kazantzakis, Lessing, Nabokov, Oates, Pym, Queneau, Roth, Solzhenitsyn, Theroux, Updike, Vargas Llosa, Waugh, Xue, Yates, and Zoshchenko - or any other two dozen fiction writers - had never been born, Mailer and any other potential genius would have had a better chance of towering.  In a less crowded field, among shorter yardsticks, a novelist would not just have seemed bigger.  He would have been bigger."

""Giants have not ceded to mere mortals," the evolutionary theorist Stephen Jay Gould wrote in an iconoclastic 1983 essay.  "Rather, the boundaries, have been restricted and the edges smoothed."  He was not talking about algae, artists, or paleontologists but about baseball players.  Where are the .400 hitters?  Why have they vanished into the mythic past, when technical skills, physical conditioning, and the population on which organized baseball draws have all improved?  his answer: Baseball's giants[b] have dwindled into a more uniform landscape.  Standards have risen.  The distance between the best and worst batters, and between the best and worst pitchers, has fallen.[/b]  Gould showed by statistical analysis that the extinction of the .400 hitter was only the more visible side of a general softening of extremes: the .100 hitter has faded as well.  The best and worst of all come closer to the average.  Few fans like to imagine that Ted Williams would recede toward the mean in the modern major leagues, or that the overweight, hard-drinking Babe Ruth would fail to dominate the scientifically engineered physiques of his later competitors, or that dozens of today's nameless young base-stealers could outrun Ty Cobb, but it is inevitably so.  Enthusiasts of track and field cannot entertain the baseball fan's nostalgia; their statistics measure athlete against nature instead of athlete against athlete, and the lesson from decade to decade is clear.  There is such a thing as progress.  Nostalgia conceals it while magnifying the geniuses of the past."

"Of course genius is exceptional and statistics-defying.  Still, the modern would-be Mozart must contend with certain statistics: that the entire educated population of eighteenth-century Vienna would fit into a large New York apartment block; that in a given year the United States Copyright Office registers close to two hundred thousand "works of the performing arts," from advertising jingles to epic tone poems.  Composers and painters now awake into a universe with a nearly infinite range of genres to choose from and rebel against.  Mozart did not have to choose an audience or style.  His community was in place.  Are the latter-day Mozarts not being born, or are they all around, bumping shoulders with one another, scrabbling for cultural scraps, struggling to be newer than new, their stature inevitably shrinking all the while?"

You are conjecturing. We know more about legitimate business men from an age that data was scarce than we do about business people in an age where information is more readily available. I am not doubting that there are some legitimate business people out there but my point is that they do not compare to the business moguls of yester-years. The Nigerians who are just as wealthy as the guys I mentioned are the state backed monopolists and corrupt politicians/military men and their cronies.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by PhysicsHD: 5:38pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are conjecturing. We know more about legitimate business men from an age that data was scarce than we do about business people in an age where information is more readily available. I am not doubting that there are some legitimate business people out there but my point is that they do not compare to the business moguls of yester-years. The Nigerians who are just as wealthy as the guys I mentioned are the state backed monopolists and corrupt politicians/military men and their cronies.

I merely wanted to point out that there is the very real possibility that there are probably more rich people (not necessarily millionaires, but there are possibly even more millionaires too) now than previously and possibly a greater percentage of rich people than previously but we wouldn't know because they would necessarily be more obscure just like every brilliant scientist or artist or athlete in modern times will be more obscure and less great seeming than the established giants in their fields. No way to know without numbers and information though. So it does remain a conjecture.

Regardless of numbers, your basic assessment is right though. The richest in our time are crooks or corrupt businessmen, while the richest in the 50s/60s were hard working pioneers.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 5:39pm On Jan 05, 2011
PhysicsHD:

Well, I think going to the UK or US is also a matter of going to where their family and relatives abroad are located. You also have to consider that in terms of entertainment, the US is far superior to almost every other country, but most importantly, the US and the UK speak and write in English, the official language of Nigeria.

There are many Nigerians who go to Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Italy, Belgium, Ireland, Netherlands, Canada, South Africa, in addition to the US and UK in order to eke out a living or for education, but sometimes only for holiday (well probably not Ireland, Saudia Arabia or Canada), and take the risk of enduring racism, humiliation (for being Nigerian), religious discrimination, crime, or the inability to integrate into or not be an outcast in their host societies, because they know such risks are better than staying in a bad or deteriorating situation in Nigeria.

I've met multiple  Nigerian Americans with relatives serving in the U.S. military, so that is an example of being in places where they can be killed, but yes by and large Nigerians don't intentionally run near death. The main thing to consider here is that volunteering is a luxury and volunteering in unsafe areas is an even greater luxury. People from places where foreigners might come in and volunteer to help development or help the sick are not really going to go to volunteer to help in Iraq or Afghanistan or China in significant numbers. I would consider Nigeria to be one of those places.

The back-packing thing also seems like a luxury thing to me and also a cultural thing. But I guess you mean here that hiking and outdoorsy activities are evidence of a more bold and risk-taking culture. I'm not too sure of that. When you live in a highly developed artificial city all of your life, going up a mountain or deep into a forest is like an exaggerated way to realize the desire of experiencing "nature" or something "new". It all seems like the kind of indulgence born out of development rather than any intrinsic characteristic. Afterall, when the European age of exploration started only certain nations among the white race (the developed/most advanced nations) had the luxury and the desire to pursue something "new." The rest of them were doing nothing as far as adventure and were rather insular.

I also think some of the more advanced or courageous nations amongst blacks took some risks too.

You are just making really poor excuses. Are volunteers in dangerous places just looking to get out of the city or they are looking to make a difference by putting their lives at risk.

You will find Nigerians in all corners of the world but it is usually for educational or economic reasons. More often they are just barely surviving; they are not pace-setters. The simple fact of the matter is that we are risk averse.

PhysicsHD:

Well I don't really believe the 300 kings thing, so maybe you can mention some of the kings you're talking about . Every ethnic group and sub-ethnic group may have later allocated itself a king or exalted a community elder to a king due to politics introduced by the British but I don't think there were ever anything like up 30 kings in Nigeria.

I think Kanem-Bornu, Sokoto, Oyo, and Benin did have grandiose plans, but you seem to be saying that because they didn't conquer enough, that they should be considered failures in certain aspects. You might be right. However, I think this suggests a lack of superior technology and numbers, rather than outright aversion to risk or unwillingness to expand due to contentment.

One other thing to consider, however, is that most places in Nigeria that could be called states were more like city-states. The situation was more like that of the various Greek city-states rather than like one where there is only Rome and Carthage or only Britain and Ireland. I don't think the Greeks were averse to risk or unadventurous before Alexander the Great, though.

Scotland was invaded and routed at some important battles, but I'm not sure they were ever really conquered by England. And yes Wales and England were one, but the Welsh never stood a chance for resisting off sheer numbers alone. They're a small group. You're right on the Picts, my mistake. The Cornish people did not get fully absorbed, as I understand it. Just many of them.

How many kings are in Spain, England, Denmark, Sweden, Saudi Arabia? How many kings were in France? How many emperors did Japan have at a time? The fact of the matter is that strong nations require one leader and not many. Whether there are 300 kings or 20 kings in Nigeria, the fact remains that we have several kings who did not really attempt to assimilate other kingdoms. To make matters worse, there are several ruling houses in the kingdoms in Nigeria. When the House of Lancaster wanted the kingship of England, it challenged and defeated the house of York in what is known as the war of the roses. In case you miss the point I am making, you can understand why Africans are generally risk averse and un-adventurous by understanding the small mindedness of our kings. There were/are far too many small domains in Africa.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Kobojunkie: 6:10pm On Jan 05, 2011
From the guardian . . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2011/jan/04/nigerians-top-optimism-poll

[size=13pt]There's a spirit of entrepreneurship – people seem bewildered if you admit a lack of ambition. Nigerians want to go places and believe – rightly or wrongly – that they can. That drive and ambition fuels their optimism; they're working towards happiness, so they're happy.[/size]
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by SEFAGO(m): 6:14pm On Jan 05, 2011
This is going to a white man good, black man bad discussion.

Sounds kind of Orwellian to me
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 05, 2011
[b]@PhysicsHD

As much as I enjoyed your plethora of swaying analysis, I think your mind and your logic are way too artistically encapsulated, and lacks that smart power of brevity you see displayed by business men.
Theres a big difference between the way you argue and the way a business man argues: the difference, business people use more of data rather than florid prosaics like you've conveniently displayed here. Im not heckling you, only letting you know that no business man reading all the concurrent arguments will have time to go through your unsummarizable expantiations. I believe you are either a college professor, million lights away from the average street hawkers whose experience counts but not necessarily more.
The truth with this argument is this:
1. The Western counterparts have created something we call an "Independent Variable" that creativity is "Dependent" on.
2. There is an enormous "creative environment" that makes little or no room for non-creativity.
3. Creativity is rewarded, appreciated, and the western entire society is built on such platform. Their buildings, parks, life style, etc

Now, compare this with Nigeria, im sure arguments fail at this point. [/b]
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by fstranger6: 6:23pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^^
SEFAGO:

1984 all over again?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 6:31pm On Jan 05, 2011
SEFAGO:

Not really

For instance, why is it that one man led kingdoms were easily able to conquer areas with multiple kings? The Spanish conquest of Central and South America; the French, Portuguese, and English conquests of Africa and Asia. Also, the moore's conquest of multi-kingdon Spain in the 7th century.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by SEFAGO(m): 6:37pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

Not really

For instance, why is it that one man led kingdoms were easily able to conquer areas with multiple kings? The Spanish conquest of Central and South America; the French, Portuguese, and English conquests of Africa and Asia. Also, the moore's conquest of multi-kingdon Spain in the 7th century.

Yeah divide and conquer- or as it is referred to in history germs, guns and steel for Central and South America.

However, do you think Africa even if united together could have gone against the British in all their Naval Glory of that time with our canoes.

Anyways I get the point Africans are not even united, even Ghanaians and South Africans who we have helped hate and distrust us angry
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 6:47pm On Jan 05, 2011
SEFAGO:

Yeah divide and conquer- or as it is referred to in history germs, guns and steel for Central and South America.

However, do you think Africa even if united together could have gone against the British in all their Naval Glory of that time with our canoes.

Anyways I get the point Africans are not even united, even Ghanaians and South Africans who we have helped hate and distrust us angry

I suspect you missed the implicit point I was making. European states became very creative so as to either conquer or avoid being conquered. For instance, Europeans used guns to sub-due many states but relied on gun powder that was invented by the Chinese. Chances are that you will caught unawares if you are content on being the big man in a small village, which was the case with many conquered states. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. I go back to the point I made earlier. Our fore-bearers had so much time on their hands for pro-creation with many women in their villages while Europeans were conquering and making alliances with other states through marriage.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by fstranger6: 6:48pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

I suspect you missed the implicit point I was making. European states became very creative so as to either conquer or avoid being conquered. For instance, Europeans used guns to sub-due many states but relied on gun powder that was invented by the Chinese. Chances are that you will caught unawares if you are content on being the big man in a small village, which was the case with many conquered states. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say. I go back to the point I made earlier. Our fore-bearers had so much time on their hands for pro-creation with many women in their villages while Europeans were conquering and making alliances with other states through marriage.

Absolute balderdash

I am sorry!
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 6:54pm On Jan 05, 2011
fstranger6:

Absolute balderdash

I am sorry!

You elucidate further instead of leaving us with your non-enlightening response.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by PhysicsHD: 7:18pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

You are just making really poor excuses. Are volunteers in dangerous places just looking to get out of the city or they are looking to make a difference by putting their lives at risk.

I meant that more development allows groups the ability to produce individuals that can focus on things/ideas/people other than their immediate needs when I referred to the luxury of being able to indulge in risks/adventures. Of course bold leaps into the unknown can be taken without development, but I'm skeptical of whether formerly war-torn Eastern European countries were producing habitat for humanity volunteers and medical volunteers for third world countries by the bucketful before developing/re-developing merely because they are white. I think to see this kind of thing happen on any large scale you need to come from a developed society.

I think many more white volunteers can make a difference because of where their particular families are at economically, socially, etc. I could be wrong. This is probably something that will seem conjectural. It seems like a reasonable enough assumption to me though.

You will find Nigerians in all corners of the world but it is usually for educational or economic reasons. More often they are just barely surviving; they are not pace-setters. The simple fact of the matter is that we are risk averse.

I think people learn to take more risks as they are in more advantageous positions. Call it a conjecture, but I think I see this repeated worldwide, black or white. People who are just emerging from lower-middle class living or poverty are not risk averse for reasons of having genetically based character flaws, in my opinion.

How many kings are in Spain, England, Denmark, Sweden, Saudi Arabia? How many kings were in France? How many emperors did Japan have at a time? The fact of the matter is that strong nations require one leader and not many. Whether there are 300 kings or 20 kings in Nigeria, the fact remains that we have several kings who did not really attempt to assimilate other kingdoms. To make matters worse, there are several ruling houses in the kingdoms in Nigeria. When the House of Lancaster wanted the kingship of England, it challenged and defeated the house of York in what is known as the war of the roses. In case you miss the point I am making, you can understand why Africans are generally risk averse and un-adventurous by understanding the small mindedness of our kings. There were/are far too many small domains in Africa.

I really don't see how this is a Caucasian versus non-Caucasian thing then. Mali, Songhai, Ethiopia (Axum, and later Ethiopia), Nubia (Kush --> Makuria), come to mind as counterexamples.

The Zulus did exactly what you state needed to be done here by Africans but Zululand was nothing spectacular really in terms of development or advancement. They were in fact strong, however, so the risks Shaka took paid off.

The Ashanti Confederacy did likewise and it paid off for a while.

The Kingdom of Kongo did likewise. Didn't result in much.

I don't know how apt the comparison of Saudia Arabia, Sweden, or Denmark is with Nigeria. I might compare all of those countries to an individual part of Nigeria, given the populations. If I were to compare the process that led to the emergence of one king of Saudia Arabia to the process that led to the emergence of one Sultan of most of Northern Nigeria, I would see not too much significant difference really. I don't see the aptness of the Denmark comparison. Denmark is tiny in population and land and is as homogeneous as the Benin people in Nigeria. Sweden did become quite powerful off of their own initiative, kudos to them, same with France and Spain, but I wouldn't confuse technological might (Spain over Azetcs, Mayas, etc.), much of it actually imported from foreign sources, with the ability of one state to independently and by itself become powerful because of a supposed tendency for risk-taking. The Spanish are noted for bravery, that can't be denied, but what is frequently not noted is how little the tools they used to conquer "inferior" groups like the Mayas, Aztecs, etc., had to do with their own state, it's leadership, or their actual or purported risk-taking tendencies. I think that if I were to ask, which was more important, for Spain to not be isolated from outside sources of technology or for Spain to have risk-taking explorers and leaders, to get to its present position, I would go with the former by a large margin.

Another counterexample might be Benin in a sense. They were quite small, but were disproportionately ambitious, if you compare what they tried to do with what groups with similar populations in that same area tried to do. Maybe not ruthlessly ambitious enough to try to force all the groups paying tribute to them into being part of their state through constant warfare though, so I can see the lack of ambition you're referring to, but you have to take factors like lack of technological superiority and size into account. It might be the case that the groups best suited to build a a very large, powerful, centralized and basically homogeneous monarchical state, like the Igbos, have no such inclination, and it might be the case that some small group like the Igala or Nupes are very interested in building powerful states, resulting in the too-many-kings phenomenon that you see as a sign of mediocrity and lack of ambition. Ideally there would have been 3 or 4 "kings"  in Nigeria (not 1 or 2), but you have to take other factors about the actual populations into account.

And yes, there were not enough large nation states in Africa. That would have made things much simpler, but I don't really agree with the conclusions you're tending towards. I don't really see the purpose of the existence of Denmark, Belgium, Slovenia, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Moldova, Luxembourg, Slovenia, Switzerland, etc., if the large unified nations are the ideal towards which whites naturally strive due to the fearless risk-taking nature of their leaders. All these countries can be merged to larger nearby nations or split up between similar people around them and probably should have been conquered long ago by larger mega groups like the Germans and French or Russians already anyways going by some of your reasoning.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 9:55pm On Jan 05, 2011
All that talk about our history is just BS. Let's just forget all that. It's just useless excuses.
The truth is, do Nigerians, even Africans as a whole, even have any kind of skills? Sure we have a lot of certificates, but when you look at the profile of Nigerians across the globe, and even in Nigeria, it's easy to see why entrepreneurship is low profile.

In every overseas country, just check the blue collar portfolio: technical workers, small, medium, and large scale traders, etc. You find the following races: Lebanese, Indians, Filipinos, Chinese, Malays, Iranians, and nowadays a lot of Eastern Europeans. Apart from Somalis running parking lot businesses in Washington DC area, you hardly find Africans in most countries engaged in anything creative. They're usually students, high-profile white collar workers, or involved in one scam or the other.

Where you have African businesses, you only see them servicing African communities, unlike maybe Pakis and Indians in the UK, and Lebanese everywhere else. Are you guys aware that Carlos Slim Helu is half Lebanese, or quarter Lebanese? So I was told by a member of the Chagoury family.

I think Africans lack knowledge and skills to run and manage business on the small and medium scale, beyond the level  of subsistence.  At least that is what LBS has noticed, which is why they are trying to educate small business owners with their SME forum initiatives. I'm sure their research has indicated the deficiencies of Africans in these areas, and they are trying to upskill entrepreneurs the best way they can. Get a really good idea, nurture it, build a working prototype, make your prototype viable, attract investment - which African entrepreneur has the luxury to work within that framework, with hunger and family problems snapping at their heels?

Also, the world is a village nowadays. Are African entrepreneurs able to negotiate major deals and trades with Westerners (Europeans, Americans) or Easterners (Indians, Chinese, etc) without getting the short end of the stick? What practical detailed knowledge of global markets do Africans have, beyond our fresh business-school grads who rely on CNBC for their insight, and are always quoting their textbooks on Nairaland? No personal slight intended here mind you.

Creative entrepreneurship always starts on the small scale. Whether Ford, Gates, or Zuckerberg, it's always some little guys who provide that killer idea that strikes to the heart of what the people want. I will challenge everybody, all of us reading and commenting on this thread, look at yourself. What do you really have to offer, beyond your copycat classroom ideas and your many certificates? Can you take, let's say for the sake of argument, oil palm business, by the scruff of the neck, run it by yourself with nobody helping you or making cash available, and make it profitable? Some people are doing it in Nigeria. Can any of you? Let's even go really low tech. Look at Baba Ijebu Lottery. An illiterate succeeded where heavyweights like the Ibrus and Kola-Daisis, backed by enough cash, government might, experts, and technology failed. meanwhile this was Baba's 8th lottery venture. The previous seven crashed.

I rest my case.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 05, 2011
AjanleKoko:

All that talk about our history is just BS.
The truth is, do Nigerians, even Africans as a whole, even have any kind of skills? Sure we have a lot of certificates, but when you look at the profile of Nigerians across the globe, and even in Nigeria, it's easy to see why entrepreneurship is low profile.

In every overseas country, just check the blue collar portfolio: technical workers, small, medium, and large scale traders, etc. You find the following races: Lebanese, Indians, Filipinos, Chinese, Malays, Iranians, and nowadays a lot of Eastern Europeans. Apart from Somalis running parking lot businesses in Washington DC area, you hardly find Africans in most countries engaged in anything creative. They're usually students, high-profile white collar workers, or involved in one scam or the other.

Where you have African businesses, you only see them servicing African communities, unlike maybe Pakis and Indians in the UK, and Lebanese everywhere else. Are you guys aware that Carlos Slim Helu is half Lebanese, or quarter Lebanese? So I was told by a member of the Chagoury family.

I think Africans lack knowledge and skills to run and manage business on the small and medium scale, beyond the level  of subsistence.  At least that is what LBS has noticed, which is why they are trying to educate small business owners with their SME forum initiatives. I'm sure their research has indicated the deficiencies of Africans in these areas, and they are trying to upskill entrepreneurs the best way they can. Get a really good idea, nurture it, build a working prototype, make your prototype viable, attract investment - which African entrepreneur has the luxury to work within that framework, with hunger and family problems snapping at their heels? Also, the world is a village nowadays.

Are African entrepreneurs able to negotiate major deals and trades with Westerners (Europeans, Americans) or Easterners (Indians, Chinese, etc) without getting the short end of the stick? What practical detailed knowledge of global markets do Africans have, beyond our fresh business-school grads who rely on CNBC for their insight, and are always quoting their textbooks on Nairaland? No personal slight intended here mind you.

Creative entrepreneurship always starts on the small scale. Whether Ford, Gates, or Zuckerberg, it's always some little guys who provide that killer idea that strikes to the heart of what the people want.
I was waiting for your insightful comments . You have really touched on all the salient points that most of the rest seems to have missed.
Most people are running away from the isuue of CREATIVITY CREATIVITY CREATIVITY and have left this highly sublime issue to talk about highly banal issues like light, roads transport that are taken for granted in all Western countries.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 10:25pm On Jan 05, 2011
tensor777:

Most people are running away from the isuue of CREATIVITY CREATIVITY CREATIVITY and have left this highly sublime issue to talk about highly banal issues like light, roads transport that are taken for granted in all Western countries.

Banal indeed. Those things are neither here nor there.
A strong case that defeats that theory is Baba Ijebu lottery.

The Kola Daisi family used their money and contacts to secure National license for Sports Lottery. Which is nothing but a joke today, as they have delved into electronic payments business and have also tried to partner with Baba Ijebu.

Lagos State teamed up with the Ibrus to float Orion Technologies, and the Lagos Lottery 'E Fit Be U O!'. With SA partners boasting the latest tech in lottery deployments, a crack team of IT and MBA 'experts', including Obaro Ibru drafted from Oceanic Bank, and a 'rock-solid' business plan backed by Oceanic Bank funding. The business crashed and burned in two years, and is totally history today. No attempts were made to resuscitate it.

Meanwhile Baba Ijebu is still growing strong, and has now introduced electronic point of sale terminals to his lottery business. In case you don't know, Baba Ijebu is Kessington Adebutu, with no MBA from any league, talk less of Ivy League.

On the Career board on this forum,  it irks me to no end to read and respond to posts like 'Which is better, ICAN or ACCA?' That alone tells you the boundaries of Nigerian, nay African, creativity, or should I say where African interests lie. Certificate peddlers, that's what we are. We just don't want to understand how the world really works, and we keep running helter-skelter trying to catch the wave and swim with it, rather than building sturdy ships, or even boats, to sail with. Eventually, we drown, and it all ends there. Then the vicious cycle begins again.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 10:34pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^Yes the moneybags and contractors muscled into a presumed lucrative market with the help of seedy government patronage.
That is not creativity but pure rent-seeking.
Even though the contractors still made their millions  before the inevitable capitulation. undecided
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Katsumoto: 10:39pm On Jan 05, 2011
AjanleKoko:

All that talk about our history is just BS. Let's just forget all that. It's just useless excuses.

I think Africans lack knowledge and skills to run and manage business on the small and medium scale, beyond the level  of subsistence.  At least that is what LBS has noticed, which is why they are trying to educate small business owners with their SME forum initiatives. I'm sure their research has indicated the deficiencies of Africans in these areas, and they are trying to upskill entrepreneurs the best way they can. Get a really good idea, nurture it, build a working prototype, make your prototype viable, attract investment - which African entrepreneur has the luxury to work within that framework, with hunger and family problems snapping at their heels?

Also, the world is a village nowadays. Are African entrepreneurs able to negotiate major deals and trades with Westerners (Europeans, Americans) or Easterners (Indians, Chinese, etc) without getting the short end of the stick? What practical detailed knowledge of global markets do Africans have, beyond our fresh business-school grads who rely on CNBC for their insight, and are always quoting their textbooks on Nairaland? No personal slight intended here mind you.

Creative entrepreneurship always starts on the small scale. Whether Ford, Gates, or Zuckerberg, it's always some little guys who provide that killer idea that strikes to the heart of what the people want. I will challenge everybody, all of us reading and commenting on this thread, look at yourself. What do you really have to offer, beyond your copycat classroom ideas and your many certificates? Can you take, let's say for the sake of argument, oil palm business, by the scruff of the neck, run it by yourself with nobody helping you or making cash available, and make it profitable? Some people are doing it in Nigeria. Can any of you? Let's even go really low tech. Look at Baba Ijebu Lottery. An illiterate succeeded where heavyweights like the Ibrus and Kola-Daisis, backed by enough cash, government might, experts, and technology failed. meanwhile this was Baba's 8th lottery venture. The previous seven crashed.

I rest my case.

The OP asked why does Nigeria lack Creativity. We know that there is a dearth of creative people; the question is, why? Your last paragraph points at creativity stemming from small business in most countries; are you seriously suggesting that the small business person in Nigeria is not affected by the causes mentioned by others above including the obvious ones such as bad infrastructure? Did Henry Ford and the creative people at Apple work without light? Did Mark Zuckerburg have to relocate to Canada because there was no power in the US and there were no venture capitalists in the US

How much creativity comes from very educated MBAs in the US and the UK?

You mentioned Carlos Slim but failed to realise that he made his fortune from controlling the monopolistic Mexican telecomms industry.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 10:51pm On Jan 05, 2011
Creative entrepreneurship always starts on the small scale. Whether Ford, Gates, or Zuckerberg, it's always some little guys who provide that killer idea that strikes to the heart of what the people want.

Backed forward looking finance institutions ready to put their money in ideas that has never been tested, doubt many banks in nigeria will back/invest in some little guys, how many banks will even listen to a 24year old for example, the big cats with business experience are finding it extremely difficult to get loans, how will the little guys survive when the banks for example start calculating the interest the moment you sign the paper?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 11:00pm On Jan 05, 2011
Katsumoto:

The OP asked why does Nigeria lack Creativity. We know that there is a dearth of creative people; the question is, why? Your last paragraph points at creativity stemming from small business in most countries; are you seriously suggesting that the small business person in Nigeria is not affected by the causes mentioned by others above including the obvious ones such as bad infrastructure? Did Henry Ford and the creative people at Apple work without light? Did Mark Zuckerburg have to relocate to Canada because there was no power in the US and there were no venture capitalists in the US

How much creativity comes from very educated MBAs in the US and the UK?

You mentioned Carlos Slim but failed to realise that he made his fortune from controlling the monopolistic Mexican telecomms industry.

Before Zuckerberg nko? The last 100 years before there was so much infrastructure in the US, the Wells Fargo, the JP Morgans, The Rockerfellers?
Wells Fargo carried gold across dangerous terrain for many many years, using wagon trains. No infrastructure.

Venture capitalism started with the Silicon Valley pioneers. Shockley, Noyce, Fairchild, Moore, Intel, Texas Instruments. Entrepreneurship in the US has existed hundreds of years before those guys.

Dis Guy:

Backed forward looking finance institutions ready to put their money in ideas that has never been tested, doubt many banks in nigeria will back/invest in some little guys, how many banks will even listen to a 24year old for example, the big cats with business experience are finding it extremely difficult to get loans, how will the little guys survive when the banks for example start calculating the interest the moment you sign the paper?
No bank put money in Baba Ijebu. You should read De Soto's The Mystery Of Capital.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jan 05, 2011
Dis Guy:

Again you are just missing the very simple point he made and coming up with irrelevant arguments.
Okay this project that the 24 year old wants the bank to invest in is it really creative and ground breaking or is it just another standard business proposal?
Anyway banks worldwide are not in the business of funding the former as they are deemed too risky whilst a standard stereotyped business proposal by the guy would not attract sufficient ROI to be attractive considering their own cost of capital.
The key issues we should be adressing here is how to foster the conception of creative ideas.  Then we can then talk about the necessary equity investment to turn these ideas into naira and kobo. When the business is up and running then you can talk about more established forms of financing
Talking about bank loans at this stage is just putting the cart before the horse.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 11:35pm On Jan 05, 2011
^^
Let me even give you guys another example: Lebanon.
There are maybe 4 million Lebanese living in Lebanon, and around 20 million in the diaspora. My figures may not be accurate.
Just a few years ago, Israelis bombed Beirut to kingdom come. The government there is nothing but a joke, as everybody knows Hezbolla and other militant groups actually run the show, Yet these guys are serial entrepreneurs anywhere they are. Which was why I mentioned Carlos Slim, and what my friend told me about his ancestry.

Why, if Lebanon is not sitting on a pile of cash like Saudi or UAE, are the Lebanese so successful, especially in Africa? Simple reason. They know how business is done, and we don't. We just can't admit that to ourselves can we, but rather prefer to refer to US and UK and venture capital, and use all manner of vague excuses. While we're at it, what about India? I've been privileged to visit both countries, and trust me, they are very similar to Nigeria in terms of infrastructure. The closest they have to Western type facilities in India is Bangalore and Hyderabad, which kind of looked like Abuja to me. But these guys are also major global players.

I think our real problem is reflected even in Dis Guy and Katsumoto's comments. We only seem to look at what the West is doing, and try to copy them or their ideas, or their philosophy, and somehow it results in lazy thinking from all of us. The sources from which we draw the so-called insights are also bad; textbooks, CNN, and other Western media. No personal insight, no personal experiences, no nothing. Because someone said it on Wikipedia or your professor wrote the book doesn't mean it is the only view, or the only right view, or that it is even correct.

Even here on Nairaland, you don't get to see too many people talking from personal insight or experiences. People just google up stuff and use them as basis points for argument. And we're talking about creativity here. Get the point?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by ekubear1: 12:12am On Jan 06, 2011
^-- Lebanese have been immigrating since the 19th century, though. Having a 100+ year head start is a nice advantage.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 12:16am On Jan 06, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- Lebanese have been immigrating since the 19th century, though. Having a 100+ year head start is a nice advantage.

Not to paraphrase Leslie Nielsen here but . . . surely you can't be seriously offering that as an excuse undecided
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Jenifa1: 12:22am On Jan 06, 2011
I think igbos are very entrepreneural. Nigerians in general are entrepreneurial
a lot of times, market is based on confidence and trust. we are quicker to place this on lebanese and westerners. many nigerian businesses are failing because no one wants to invest in them.

AjanleKoko:

While we're at it, what about India? I've been privileged to visit both countries, and trust me, they are very similar to Nigeria in terms of infrastructure. The closest they have to Western type facilities in India is Bangalore and Hyderabad, which kind of looked like Abuja to me. But these guys are also major global players.

I was watching a documentary about india and from what I got from it, things started to pick up when the country's economy became more capitalist. with rigid state control and red tape, entrepreneurial spirit was stiffened.

reminds me of the topic on the front page of PCHN going private. lol. we'll wait to see if it will bring us electricity.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by ekubear1: 12:27am On Jan 06, 2011
I think having a large fraction of your population in the diaspora breeds certain habits, some of them very good.

Anyway, long story short, I'm not sure that the Lebanese and Nigerian diasporas are comparable, in part due to their relatives ages (if that is indeed what you are comparing.)
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by SEFAGO(m): 12:50am On Jan 06, 2011
The idea of making money as a businessman in Nigeria -- long spurned by some of the elite as inferior to a high-powered job in the public sector -- is catching the popular imagination, demonstrating to an ambitious young generation that you don't have to be in the pay of government to get rich.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL143223020080806?pageNumber=2

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Interesting Thing About Association Of Witches And Wizards In Nigeria / DSS Parades Suspected Kidnappers Of Jonathan’s Uncle, Others / Sign Electoral Act Amendment Now, Atiku Urges Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 256
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.