Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,589 members, 7,827,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:57 AM

Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs (11466 Views)

List Of Those APC Blame For Nigeria's Lack of Progress Under Buhari / Does Nigeria Have An Intelligence Gathering Outfit? / How Much Does Nigeria Make Daily From Petroleum? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 7:11pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

I will assume that the people at computer village and ladipo rented the stores with stones, and bought all they selling with sands by the shores of the beaches?
Let us reason right and well, there is a need for money to make any idea work, and when money is not available, no need even wasting time.
So it gets us back to where we started, that money is what is needed, and someone that is still worrying about how to eat breakfast will be able to have collateral to source a loan at the bank?

I say again, tell me the bank that gave money to the guys at Ladipo. Don't just make assumptions, go to Ladipo and ask them how they did it. Same as Computer Village. Go ask them how they started it.

You need to understand the country in which you live, before you can successfully do business here. Most of you, even the ones who live in Nigeria, are too bogged down with the day to day issues that you can't focus on understanding the environment. You need to forget those issues and roll up your sleeves. The educated youth in Nigeria is lazy and expects everything to be handed to him/her. Sorry oh.

Take it from me, there is no white horse out there. Doing business in Nigeria involves a lot of hard work, understanding the people, terrain, and the dynamics of whatever business you're in. And contrary to what people think, it's almost impossible for a fresh school leaver to start up a business, for the simple reason that the person usually doesn't know squat about anything. When you don't know, and you want to do, better go and learn. Get busy doing, and stop talking or complaining. That's just the advice I have for people who want to achieve.

I'll tell you something. I live in Nigeria, and I've set up or invested in a few businesses, while still holding down a private sector job. I have absolutely no idea how business is run in the West, and don't really care to know, cos I don't live there. Nigeria is Nigeria. Yes, we don't have the kind of government that is in the west, but, hey, we have to survive out here. I certainly want my life to count for something, and don't want to spend my days complaining about successive governments. Life is too darned short.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Fhemmmy: 7:16pm On Apr 26, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I say again, tell me the bank that gave money to the guys at Ladipo. Don't just make assumptions, go to Ladipo and ask them how they did it. Same as Computer Village. Go ask them how they started it.

You need to understand the country in which you live, before you can successfully do business here. Most of you, even the ones who live in Nigeria, are too bogged down with the day to day issues that you can't focus on understanding the environment. You need to forget those issues and roll up your sleeves. The educated youth in Nigeria is lazy and expects everything to be handed to him/her. Sorry oh.

Take it from me, there is no white horse out there. Doing business in Nigeria involves a lot of hard work, understanding the people, terrain, and the dynamics of whatever business you're in. And contrary to what people think, it's almost impossible for a fresh school leaver to start up a business, for the simple reason that the person usually doesn't know squat about anything. When you don't know, and you want to do, better go and learn. Get busy doing, and stop talking or complaining. That's just the advice I have for people who want to achieve.

I'll tell you something. I live in Nigeria, and I've set up or invested in a few businesses, while still holding down a private sector job. I have absolutely no idea how business is run in the West, and don't really care to know, cos I don't live there. Nigeria is Nigeria. Yes, we don't have the kind of government that is in the west, but, hey, we have to survive out here. I certainly want my life to count for something, and don't want to spend my days complaining about successive governments. Life is too darned short.

You are yet to answer the question, Sir.
Those at ladipo or Computer Village, rented a shop and started with business with stone?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 7:19pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

You are yet to answer the question, Sir.
Those at ladipo or Computer Village, rented a shop and started with business with stone?

I won't answer that for you pally. Go and find out.
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Fhemmmy: 7:21pm On Apr 26, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I won't answer that for you pally. Go and find out.

Answers of convenience, maybe . . . . Interesting, Sorry i forgot that you dont reside in Nigeria based on some of your comment . . . so "those of us" that resides in Nigeria need to find things out and dont ask those of you that dont reside here . . . . I beg forgive my disrespectful questioning tongue
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 8:00pm On Apr 26, 2011
Fhemmmy:

Answers of convenience, maybe . . . . Interesting, Sorry i forgot that you dont reside in Nigeria based on some of your comment . . . so "those of us" that resides in Nigeria need to find things out and dont ask those of you that dont reside here . . . . I beg forgive my disrespectful questioning tongue

Error.
I am fully resident in Lagos, Nigeria, and have been for all of my life. You read my post at all?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Kobojunkie: 8:23pm On Apr 26, 2011
What exactly is creative in sales of computers and computer accessories? Is that any different from selling of computer parts or clothing items? Or am I missing something here??
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by vladimiros: 8:26pm On Apr 26, 2011
A good and reliable entrepreneur take calculated risk and not any risk for the sake of being noticed . . . . .

no entrepreneur i know takes risk for being noticed

i meant risk as in go into something new and creative, this is where we lack
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by vladimiros: 8:28pm On Apr 26, 2011
What exactly is creative in sales of computers and computer accessories? Is that any different from selling of computer parts or clothing items? Or am I missing something here??

there is something different, what if a new Asian tech company wants to come to nigeria and compete with apple

a good entrepreneur would see this chance contact this company and take the "risk" of selling it in Nigeria ,

its all about creativity
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by DisGuy: 1:47pm On Apr 27, 2011
AjanleKoko:

or perhaps the challenges/obstacles are way too much for most new starters, but then again i have a feeling you will say those challenges are meant to be overcome, i mean even in regulated 'easy' west one in every five start up fail within the first few years talk less of a very difficult environment like Nigeria/Africa, you appear to be saying the only main reason why people are not doing well or not starting at all is because they are lazy and very risk averse ?
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by Kobojunkie: 2:29pm On Apr 27, 2011
vladimiros:

there is something different, what if a new Asian tech company wants to come to nigeria and compete with apple

a good entrepreneur would see this chance contact this company and take the "risk" of selling it in Nigeria ,

its all about creativity

Take what risk? You still leave my question unanswered . . , what is the difference between doing that and selling other brands in Nigeria? Are you somehow implying that selling of stuff from brands that are not established is creative??
Re: Why Does Nigeria Lack Creative Entrepreneurs by AjanleKoko: 2:46pm On Apr 27, 2011
Dis Guy:

or perhaps the challenges/obstacles are way too much for most new starters, but then again i have a feeling you will say those challenges are meant to be overcome, i mean even in regulated 'easy' west one in every five start up fail within the first few years talk less of a very difficult environment like Nigeria/Africa, you appear to be saying the only main reason why people are not doing well or not starting at all is because they are lazy and very risk averse ?

In my opinion, fresh school leavers know very little about how to start and run a business, any business. It's more pronounced in an undeveloped economy like Nigeria. So in my opinion, they need to get experience, by working a job or learning a trade, preferably in the very area they are looking to become entrepreneurs in. Which is something people always balk at.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh when I say people are lazy. But most of us have no skill or trade to barter, just certificates that really mean nothing in the end.  
We need more mechanics, plumbers, electricians, carpenters, telecom technicians, bricklayers and masons, etc, than we need investment bankers, lawyers, accountants, sociologists, and whatevers. Its not really our fault; in Nigeria, people see the West and their lifestyle, and try to copy or emulate the model, while the base is not there.  

If the carpenter adds information/knoweldge to his skill, he grows as a carpenter, makes more money, and is ultimately able to convert his skill into a business. Not everybody will do it, but the best usually do. Why? In Nigeria, demand still far outweighs supply in virtually everything.

And to the posters asking about creativity, the definition is relative. Computer Village as an industry is creative, because it filled an existing gap in the information economy Nigeria was aspiring towards. Now people can access computers and allied accesories easily, without having to get either the government or IBM to come set up this supporting industry.

Same as for telecoms. The telecom products need to be distributed, end user equipment needed to be brought into Nigeria and sold, without the telecom industry providing additional CAPEX. Which is what happens in the developed world; the telcos have to tie up with the handset manufacturers, or the handset manufacturers go to market through the telcos. In Nigeria, we have done it very differently; the so-called grey market has helped to sustain demand for telecom services without the providers incurring the cost of bringing in devices. Initially most of these businesses started with personal seed money from friends, family and associates. When the banks saw how big it grew, they started approaching these guys with funds.

You don't need to invent Google in Nigeria to be creative, just try to solve a problem that exists in the Nigerian society. Inventing a new business model or supply chain where none existed previously is definitely creative.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jonathan Is Ethically-Challenged Not Me - Ribadu / Voter's Registration Ongoing In Anambra State By Aniago / ​Governor Ugwuanyi Visits Bigard Memorial Seminary, Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.