Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,584 members, 7,812,911 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:07 PM

COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries (55775 Views)

COVID-19 Testing Resumes In Kano / NIMR Offers Free Coronavirus Testing In Yaba, Lagos / Listeriosis Outbreak: WHO Warns Nigeria, 15 Other African Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by DAYOODS(m): 2:28am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

South Africa, with a population of 57.78 million, has conducted 80,085 tests.
Ghana, with a population of 29.77 million, has conducted 37,954 tests.
Egypt, with a population of 98.42 million, has conducted 25,000 tests.

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?

Seun, adding the source of this statistics would be helpful.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by mysteryman2014: 2:31am On Apr 13, 2020
EmekaBlue:
wait o...even with low test rate y r people not dropping dead in the streets yet or is the covid-19 symptom everlasting b4 it takes effect?!. This shit has been around for long enough to see the effect

Abegi our weather is helping or immune system and also maybe na d test dey give d virus sef.

I won't agree to be tested

That has always been my thought. The test is too invasive.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by mysteryman2014: 2:36am On Apr 13, 2020
Farmdog:
@The only reason being that the virus dies easily in temperatures above 27 degrees.... Africa death recordings seems to be steady/less than expected mostly because of the hot weather.

African proverb, the cow without a tail na God dey help am chase flies.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by nitrogen(m): 2:45am On Apr 13, 2020
mytime24:
Wetin i go comments na cool
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Guk: 2:51am On Apr 13, 2020
ThierryJay:
Tests are key to knowing the true status of the extent of the infection and managing the spread. With one of the lowest testing ratios in the world, our CoVID 19 management statistics are a complete farce!

To put this into perspective, if Ghana were to have tested less than 5,000 people like NIgeria, they'd probably only have less than 100 cases, and then they'd be falsely happy about the low spread of the disease.

With 10 recorded COVID deaths in Nigeria coupled with about 2 unofficial deaths (making a total of at least 12), our actual level of infection (as at two weeks ago) could be around 900 - 1200 cases when taking the 1% - 1.5% average death rate into account. Right now, with an average infection rate per person of 2.5 - 3Ro (i.e one person infects 2.5 to 3 people on the average), we might be looking at up to 2,500 - 3,500 cases currently in Nigeria. I'm not a prophet of doom but these are logical reasons for everyone to take the lockdown more seriously to break the cycle of infection!

To be honest with you, i dont know why people are so fixated with this Covid-19 testing? Must we follow the joneses blindly?

Nigeria is among the capital of infectious diseases world wide with such, as Chickenpox; Yellow Fever; Lassa Fever; TB and in the earlier decades; Measles; Small pox etc. Please tell me which one, we ever carried out virology tests for

The standard is that you feel ill, you then present yourself to a clinic or hospital; they 1st test & treat you for malaria. If symptoms persist, they then test for other things like typhoid & when tired of your case, refer you to General hospital or Teaching hospital depending on your proximity.

By this time, you have drank so many different medicine that you end up not knowing the one that cured you.

In all of this, the nurses and Doctors attended to you without gloves; facemask or PPE but they end up not contracting any disease.

If you know any other process different from the above, you can then see why our health system does not feel they should spend so much testing.

Fall ill first & they shall take it up from there

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by jaxxy(m): 2:54am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:
The is very very worrisome. Testing speed and coverage is a key determinant of how easily a country can manage this pandemic

How on earth can it be explained that Ghana has tested 7 times more than Nigeria. It is untenable ...it is shameful

Front page please

Based on our level of exposure to the virus in a way i'm happy we haven't done so many test. With all the news we hear about contaminated probes or test kits and many other stories I'm definitely not in a hurry to do no test. If we ask how many nairalander wud like to do test I'm sure only very few will especially since they dont feel sick or show symptoms to raise concerns.

I also think tests causes panic and fear and that's brings with it different sets of issues. I wud like America to analyse how this virus spread so fast over there to the point people felt it had probably been there even b4 China bt was thought to be normal flu. This started only we people started getting tested and people suddenly started getting hospitalised as more test were being done and then dying. I'm trying to play out the scenariosin my head and it seems too strange unless u can see the clear lapses which led to a massive spread from an index case or even multiple index cases.

I can even understand or read the Italy situation better than America even though it was a fast spread also.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by MoIbrahim: 2:59am On Apr 13, 2020
Captainrambo2:
Well, some idiots voted saibaba for change I 2019....

Yet Aso rock clinic couldn't treat kyari........ undecided

I voted sai baba, I made my choice he has not impressed me, and I am not idiot.
Maybe you are the idiot.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by joeluv: 2:59am On Apr 13, 2020
America’s cases came from Europe. The strains found in most parts of America are same with Europe. Mind you, millions of Americans and Europeans travel back and forth these two continents each day. Thus, very difficult to stop a spread without a travel ban.
jaxxy:

Based on our level of exposure to the virus in a way i'm happy we haven't done so many test. With all the news we hear about contaminated probes or test kits and many other stories I'm definitely not in a hurry to do no test. If we ask how many nairalander wud like to do test I'm sure only very few will especially since they dont feel sick or show symptoms to raise concerns.

I also think tests causes panic and fear and that's brings with it different sets of issues. I wud like America to analyse how this virus spread so fast over there to the point people felt it had probably been there even b4 China bt was thought to be normal flu. This started only we people started getting tested and people suddenly started getting hospitalised as more test were being done and then dying. I'm trying to play out the scenariosin my head and it seems too strange unless u can see the clear lapses which lead to a massive spread from an index case or even multiple index cases.

I can even understand Italy's situation better than America.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by sidonlook: 3:02am On Apr 13, 2020
Amya:

Nigeria on the other hand only has Lagos and Abuja as the gate of Nigeria. After the Italian man tested positive, flights from countries with over a hundred people infected were stopped from coming into the country. The virus still sneaked into the country and when the lockdown started, people who had come into contact with infected persons were about 5 thousand people. It definitely have increased now but it won't be so much because of the lockdown.

Let us agree that contact with the infected person were about 5 thousand.

With our testing capacity of 350 test per day, if the government is really going after the contacts and getting them, the situation will be controlled.

My only fear is the mistake the government made for not locking down the entire country for 2 weeks. Concentrating on Lagos, Ogun and FCT alone was myopic.

By the time the lockdown is lifted in these states, escapees and cross border infections would have matured to get noticed in other states.

I wonder what the government will do to avoid infestation crossing back to Lagos, Ogun and the FCT.

Will the government keep these states under perpetual lockdown ?
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by jaxxy(m): 3:07am On Apr 13, 2020
joeluv:
America’s cases came from Europe. The strains found in most parts of America are same with Europe. Mind you, millions of Americans and Europeans travel back and forth these two continents each day. Thus, very difficult to stop a spread without a travel ban.

Ok that's the connection and most European countries didn't detect their cases untime to alert the Us except for Italy that had a sudden spike and I think were the ones who spread the virus to other parts of Europe.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Kampack: 3:08am On Apr 13, 2020
Dishonest figures coming from NCDC, Nigeria
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by tuzle(m): 3:09am On Apr 13, 2020
When I tell people I prefer being in USA during this pandemic than in Nigeria, they think I am joking.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by sayisayi(m): 3:10am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:
Test per million ratio shows that nigeria has tested only 24 people per million . This is the third worst in the entire world which only betters the ratio of mozambique and Malawi

Even small Niger Republic has tested 4600

Please don't compare us with Chad or Niger. We know our level. Na Malawi and Marshall Islands we dey.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by nikdam: 3:14am On Apr 13, 2020
mysteryman2014:

That has always been my thought. The test is too invasive.
WORLDOMETERS.INFO
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by joeluv: 3:14am On Apr 13, 2020
Exactly. It was when Italy started exploding US realized they were dammed. Europeans where not serious, they did not take the virus as a serious threat. A mistake that has cost them a lot. Italy spread it to other parts of Europe, and the whole Europe carried it to USA ☹️
jaxxy:

Ok that's the connection and most European countries didn't detect their cases untime to alert the Us except for Italy that had a sudden spike and I think were the ones who spread the virus to other parts of Europe.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by mynextLevel: 3:17am On Apr 13, 2020
Just as they don't want to end Boko Haram because of the cashing out, so also they don't want to end corona-virus so as to elongate the cash out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by abdullkabar(m): 3:25am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:
We've been told that it's difficult to do massive testing for the Coronavirus Disease in Nigeria. That we don't have the trained workers, technology, and money to do it like South Korea. This is why we've only conducted 5,000 tests in a country with a population of 195.9 million. This got me thinking about other African countries:

Also, Nigeria, the most populous country in Africa, is 9th in the list of African countries which have conducted the most tests. We are also 26th in the list of African countries that have conducted the most tests relative to the size of their population. Should we be conducting way more tests?
Its actually worrisome. Because by now, every state should be carrying out mass testing. This will not only aid in quick eradication of the infection, because I am sure some people will be carrying the disease undetected and spreading it.
It will also aid in fast tracking infected people and getting rid of the infection.
But also, if they can really pull off the tracking of people that have come in contact with infected patients (which will not be 100% efficient), they might just be lucky.
The later is a very risky method(for a country with porous borders).
God help us
This one wey seun dey analyse the matter painstakingly so tongue

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by jaxxy(m): 3:25am On Apr 13, 2020
joeluv:
Exactly. It was when Italy started exploding US realized they were dammed. Europeans where not serious, they did not take the virus as a serious threat. A mistake that has cost them a lot. Italy spread it to other parts of Europe, and the whole Europe carried it to USA ☹️

Thanks for the insight. Cleared my slight confusion. I believe they will both get past this. God willing

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by xpool(m): 3:26am On Apr 13, 2020
Seun:

Buhari and his cabinet are not fit to rule a Local government a rear,
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:27am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:
Test per million ratio shows that nigeria has tested only 24 people per million . This is the third worst in the entire world which only betters the ratio of mozambique and Malawi

The incompetence of the Minister of health and NCDC boss is obvious. In sane societies these men would never have gotten close to the job and by now fired.

Lockdown means nothing without testing, isolating and treating infected ones.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by NwaliE01: 3:37am On Apr 13, 2020
Hope the 5,000 people that were claimed to have been tested do not include one Governor that was tested 8 times. I don't even believe the over bloated number of tested individuals in Nigeria.
Nigeria recently is always among the worst in everything.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Jabioro: 3:49am On Apr 13, 2020
We have no country.. whatever they this entity is a course to manage the ruse..
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Karmaisme(m): 3:50am On Apr 13, 2020
DZTech:
If you knew the level of corruption in the whole project, you would just enter your inner room to go and weep.

With the way they're trying to steal every available kobo, it's as if they actually BELIEVE the virus is a joke!
This confirms the pervasive stupidity of Nigeria's elite.
Just protect you and yours, because what’s coming will be cataclysmic.

Nothing is coming by HIS grace. Prophet of doom.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Oluwadare316(m): 3:50am On Apr 13, 2020
iwriterng:
Trust data coming from Nigeria at your own peril.
i don't think ncdc are really serious
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Chicastle: 3:56am On Apr 13, 2020
Ohh I see... so it's population that even make them call it giant of Africa not activities , or amenities nor economy. I knew it

Naija I hail una oo

1 Like

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by belovedaja(m): 4:05am On Apr 13, 2020
You have a point, at least to improve quality of life, not necessarily because of ego or hate, but improve governance
Jack500:
This country is not working, let's go our separate way. Yoruba population alone is more than enough for a country.

Nigeria can't work.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ZUBY77(m): 4:09am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:
The is very very worrisome. Testing speed and coverage is a key determinant of how easily a country can manage this pandemic

How on earth can it be explained that Ghana has tested 7 times more than Nigeria. It is untenable ...it is shameful

Front page please

Nothing good comes from the north.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Segmatin(m): 4:25am On Apr 13, 2020
babytoun:

Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Nobody: 4:26am On Apr 13, 2020
9jayes:
And to think Nigeria budget can buy the whole of Ghana.

There should be at least two testing labs in every Local government

Bohari led administration is the most corrupt in nigerian history the only difference is that press don't write about it. Partly because of DSS and partly because the society is cursed.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by Nobody: 4:30am On Apr 13, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

The incompetence of the Minister of health and NCDC boss is obvious. In sane societies these men would never have gotten close to the job and by now fired.

Lockdown means nothing without testing, isolating and treating infected ones.

Some beer parlour gossip say the minister of health read account, don't know how correct that claim is.
Re: COVID-19 Testing In South Africa & Other African Countries by ollypass: 4:30am On Apr 13, 2020
ThierryJay:
Tests are key to knowing the true status of the extent of the infection and managing the spread. With one of the lowest testing ratios in the world, our CoVID 19 management statistics are a complete farce!

To put this into perspective, if Ghana were to have tested less than 5,000 people like NIgeria, they'd probably only have less than 100 cases, and then they'd be falsely happy about the low spread of the disease.

With 10 recorded COVID deaths in Nigeria coupled with about 2 unofficial deaths (making a total of at least 12), our actual level of infection (as at two weeks ago) could be around 900 - 1200 cases when taking the 1% - 1.5% average death rate into account. Right now, with an average infection rate per person of 2.5 - 3Ro (i.e one person infects 2.5 to 3 people on the average), we might be looking at up to 2,500 - 3,500 cases currently in Nigeria. I'm not a prophet of doom but these are logical reasons for everyone to take the lockdown more seriously to break the cycle of infection!

You get oil for head

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Girl Rushed To Hospital With Iron Hook In Her Eye. Graphic Photos / Baby In Pains As Her Head Continues To Swell Due To Medical Condition. Photos / COVID-19: 386 New Cases Reported, 10 Deaths And 78 Discharged On May 8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.