Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,000 members, 7,866,786 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 04:28 AM

Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode (3658 Views)

Please Kindly Suggest: Between A Honda Civic 2005 And A Honda Accord 2002. / BMW E60 And E90 Owners/enthusiasts' Forum / A BMW Collector Decorates His Garage Wall With 2 Wrecked BMW M1 Sportcars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 5:14pm On Apr 19, 2020
yungboss:

One objective comment at least. People that drive them don't have two heads. If the Op is so scared, let him get the Toyota, no drama.

Truth is that the harsh economic realities have subconsciously pushed people to survival mode. Now for 90% of car buyers the deciding factor is maintenance cost and reliability. Gone are the days of buying a car because of its looks, or performance or even brand prestige. The last 2 reasons are arguable thou.

Deep inside someone yearns for a particular car that is within his budget but finally ends up choosing another car that has better reliability and easy maintenance. Yet whenever he drives by his first and original choice he wishes he had bought it instead.

The fact of the matter is no vehicle is an investment unless it makes you money, no matter how reliable it is you must periodically spend on them especially in this part of our world where almost all the imported cars are out of warranty and parts are starting to fall apart. Its just a matter of which you spend more on.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 5:42pm On Apr 19, 2020
Fentanyl:

when you start to hear or read compromising statements like the bolded, lol run for your life
Yes, just me saying no need for the Op to be scared, the cars are common, the 525 and 530 are some of the common 5 series in the e60 line up, 2005 is 15years ago, the engine is durable and electronic system not very complex. It's not the same as your everyday Toyota Camry, the latter which is a good car basically known for its reliability.
So if outright reliability is what he seeks, camry is his go-to car.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2020
foolbuster:

Truth is that the harsh economic realities have subconsciously pushed people to survival mode. Now for 90% of car buyers the deciding factor is maintenance cost and reliability. Gone are the days of buying a car because of its looks, or performance or even brand prestige. The last 2 reasons are arguable thou.

Deep inside someone yearns for a particular car that is within his budget but finally ends up choosing another car that has better reliability and easy maintenance. Yet whenever he drives by his first and original choice he wishes he had bought it instead.

The fact of the matter is no vehicle is an investment unless it makes you money, no matter how reliable it is you must periodically spend on them especially in this part of our world where almost all the imported cars are out of warranty and parts are starting to fall apart. Its just a matter of which you spend more on.
I couldn't agree more.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by Nobody: 7:14pm On Apr 20, 2020
joeyzasa:
see my friend BMW are great cars and deserve to be treated with respect and not be treated like a Camry.

if you are going for the bimmer make sure you keep up with the regular maintenance, you best bet is to keep at least 25% - 30% of the amount of which you bought the vehicle and budget that for maintenance.

and also get a very good BMW mechanic to always work on your car and you have no problem.

I dey gbadu my BMW 325i E46, the car dey give me joy anytime I see the demon eyes.

Listen to this man..
if you want to enjoy a BMW you have to keep up with the maintenance and get a good BMW mechanic. Theres no short cut around that. if you are the kind of person who doesnt pay attention to their car abeg just buy the camry.
BTW my current car is a 2007 BMW 335i with the dreaded n54 engine, immediately i bought it i did all the preventative maintenance and changed out all the common failure items with brand new parts. its has been problem free ever since.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 12:45pm On Apr 21, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

Listen to this man..
if you want to enjoy a BMW you have to keep up with the maintenance and get a good BMW mechanic. Theres no short cut around that. if you are the kind of person who doesnt pay attention to their car abeg just buy the camry.
BTW my current car is a 2007 BMW 335i with the dreaded n54 engine, immediately i bought it i did all the preventative maintenance and changed out all the common failure items with brand new parts. its has been problem free ever since.

I don't know how long you've owned the 335i but for a BMW i find the bolded hard to believe.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 4:56pm On Apr 21, 2020
I own Toyotas, Lexus, Infiniti and a 2008 BMW 535i sports. The BMW in my own opinion is reliable. I enjoy it most followed by GX470. I don't know what issues people refer to when BMW is mentioned. I bought it tokunbo and will urge you to buy a tokunbo. Mine has not a single malfunction light on the dashboard. It's a joy to drive. People usually buy badly maintained Nigerian used BMW and complain. Maintenance is key and doesn't cost much in my own opinion. Most of the parts are cheap too when compared with Toyota parts.

Add: BMW isn't a car you just dump for mechanics to fix and walk away. You must have interest in it and know how to fix some parts. You must really have interest to look up problems and solutions on YouTube and guide your mechanic. I was very happy changing my rear brake pads and the sensor by myself. YouTube is always more than helpful

4 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 6:44pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

I don't know how long you've owned the 335i but for a BMW i find the bolded hard to believe.
have you used a BMW? If yes, did you buy it a Nigerian used?

1 Like

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 6:57pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
have you used a BMW? If yes, did you buy it a Nigerian used?

why are you asking? Don't get me wrong I loved bmw's, when i was shopping for my first car all i had in mind was a BMW but after deep research.. .............
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 7:10pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

why are you asking? Don't get me wrong I loved bmw's, when i was shopping for my first car all i had in mind was a BMW but after deep research.. .............

you have been doubting those who said they have a problem free BMW. Do you have any sour experiences. No car is problem free. I still insist that good maintenance is key to enjoying any car.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 7:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
I own Toyotas, Lexus, Infiniti and a 2008 BMW 535i sports. The BMW in my own opinion is reliable. I enjoy it most followed by GX470. I don't know what issues people refer to when BMW is mentioned. I bought it tokunbo and will urge you to buy a tokunbo. Mine has not a single malfunction light on the dashboard. It's a joy to drive. People usually buy badly maintained Nigerian used BMW and complain. Maintenance is key and doesn't cost much in my own opinion. Most of the parts are cheap too when compared with Toyota parts.

Add: BMW isn't a car you just dump for mechanics to fix and walk away. You must have interest in it and know how to fix some parts. You must really have interest to look up problems and solutions on YouTube and guide your mechanic. I was very happy changing my rear brake pads and the sensor by myself. YouTube is always more than helpful
Nice, how is the 535i, that's the LCI. I guess it's the twin scroll turbo...
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
you have been doubting those who said they have a problem free BMW. Do you have any sour experiences. No car is problem free. I still insist that good maintenance is key to enjoying any car.

You said it yourself no car is problem free. I am sure you'll also agree with me that some cars are more problem prone than others irrespective of how diligently they are maintained. BMW's and Benz from the early 2000 to date are right there in the list of such vehicles. I don't need to experience something to know if its true or false.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by Galactico4ever(m): 7:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
I own Toyota Lexus GX470. I don't know what issues people refer to when BMW is mentioned. I bought it tokunbo and will urge you to buy a tokunbo. Mine has not a single malfunction light on the dashboard. It's a joy to drive. People usually buy badly maintained Nigerian used BMW and complain. Maintenance is key and doesn't cost much in my own opinion. Most of the parts are cheap too when compared with Toyota parts.

Guy pls how is the lexus 470? my broda wants to buy it 4rm a friend but he is worried about fuel economy and availability of spare parts
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 7:34pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

You said it yourself no car is problem free. I am sure you'll also agree with me that some cars are more problem prone than others irrespective of how diligently they are maintained. BMW's and Benz from the early 2000 to date are right there in the list of such vehicles. I don't need to experience something to know if its true or false.
you see the problem I have with people. Those who condemn a particular car are those who have never owned that car. You have no ownership right to give a review on BMW having not owned one.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
Galactico4ever:
Guy pls how is the lexus 470? my broda wants to buy it 4rm a friend but he is worried about fuel economy and availability of spare parts
very reliable. Very strong. That engine and gearbox are sturdy and maybe never die. That said, you shouldn't be concerned about fuel consumption and still desire a V8. However, the fuel consumption isn't bad for a V8. Parts are everywhere. Moreover, what will you be changing. Find out why his friend is selling.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 7:38pm On Apr 21, 2020
yungboss:

Nice, how is the 535i, that's the LCI. I guess it's the twin scroll turbo...
yea. It's the LCI N54 with twin turbo. I was scared when purchasing cos of the kind of reviews I got. But was determined. Today, all fears are gone. I never used the pre LCI, so I can't compare. In fact this is my first BMW and it's great. Wonderful, I must say.

3 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 7:54pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
you see the problem I have with people. Those who condemn a particular car are those who have never owned that car. You have no ownership right to give a review on BMW having not owned one.

You see the problem i have with people. They assume a faulty reasoning that something does not exist unless they have experienced it firsthand themselves. You don't realize people learn from the experiences of others.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 7:57pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

You see the problem i have with people. They assume a faulty reasoning that something does not exist unless they have experienced it firsthand themselves. You don't realize people learn from the experiences of others.

a user says his is problem free. Someone who never owned one says it's not true. Who sounds real.

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:03pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
People stereotype Mercedes, BMW and other cars too easily as problem-ridden on Nairaland, sometimes I wonder if it's the same cars we drive that are demonized. Funnily enough, I see lots of calls from owners of Toyota, lexus and other cars, seeking help over one thing or the other...I own a Toyota Matrix, it's basically trouble free besides the rusty suspension (I failed in proper PPI) issues I'm still contending with.
I have replaced both rear hubs/bearings, front brake pads twice, rear shocks, brake shoes and just replaced one of the hubs again. I have replaced the thermostat. I can't even complain because these cars are being used and meant to develop issues over time. It's just a 1.8L 4wd 123 or so horsepower vehicle, nothing interesting about it.
It surprises me how someone would make a comparison between a 335i BMW and a Toyota Camry or a Corolla...
In my opinion, people should understand the inherent peculiarities in a car before jumping to purchase.
If one thinks BMW, Mercedes, Porsche,Audi and VW are not reliable or too complex it's best they steer clear and stick to what suits them.
Owners of these cars like to have them and deal with them the way they are...

In summary:
Toyota gives what BMW doesn't and BMW gives what Toyota doesn't. That's where their philosophies differ.

After fighting on here, who buys the new heavily influenced-BMW supra?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by Nobody: 8:06pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

i dont know how familiar you are with BMWs generally or the E9x platform. but the 335i is my thrid BMW and my 3rd E90.
I bought it on IAAI and before the car even got here i already ordered the parts i knew were common failure points. The N54 engine itself is bulletproof, its just the accessories and other parts around it that fail. I plan to keep this car for a while so i was willing to put the money into it.
here are a list of things i did immediately i received the car
-changed valve cover gasket
-oil pan gasket
-all turbo seals and drain lines
-Front crankshaft seal
-Surprisingly the car came with index one injectors and were running just fine but i took all 6 out and put in refurbished index 12s and coded them to the DME with ISTA D
-Cleaned intake valves
-changed water pump and thermostat with brand new OEM ones
-changed all spark plugs
later this year i intend to change all my cooling hoses and coils. My car runs like its brand new and i have had it for almost a year and intend to keep it for many more. but i have been driving e90s for about 4 years.
I ll attach pictures of the car as i bought it on IAAI and when i took delivery.

5 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:10pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
yea. It's the LCI N54 with twin turbo. I was scared when purchasing cos of the kind of reviews I got. But was determined. Today, all fears are gone. I never used the pre LCI, so I can't compare. In fact this is my first BMW and it's great. Wonderful, I must say.
I'm impressed. Same passion I have, i don't get scared over hearsays...once I think it's what I can handle, I handle it the way I can...
Whoever immerses themselves in scotty kilmer's videos will drive no other car but his recommendations.
The internet is vast, resourceful and engaging, why shouldn't I be able to handle routine maintenance?
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:20pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
a user says his is problem free. Someone who never owned one says it's not true. Who sounds real.
Exactly what I thought too.
This arguement will forever be inconclusive. The wrong picture has been captured in the mind, it has nullified every good thing thereof.
I suggest you don't try explaining. Let everyone drive whatever suits them.
The Benz section is the most entertaining, lots of vain arguements over nothing lol.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:22pm On Apr 21, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

i dont know how familiar you are with BMWs generally or the E9x platform. but the 335i is my thrid BMW and my 3rd E90.
I bought it on IAAI and before the car even got here i already ordered the parts i knew were common failure points. The N54 engine itself is bulletproof, its just the accessories and other parts around it that fail. I plan to keep this car for a while so i was willing to put the money into it.
-oil pan gasket
-Front crankshaft seal
-Surprisingly the car came with index one injectors and were running just fine but i took all 6 out and put in refurbished index 12s and coded them to the DME with ISTA D
-Cleaned intake valves
-changed all spark plugs
later this year i intend to change all my cooling hoses and coils. My car runs like its brand new and i have had it for almost a year and intend to keep it for many more. but i have been driving e90s for about 4 years.
I ll attach pictures of the car as i bought it on IAAI and when i took delivery.
True to your passion!

2 Likes

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:31pm On Apr 21, 2020
7er

1 Like

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 8:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
Needing little repainting

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by weyreypey: 8:36pm On Apr 21, 2020
Op listen to chukel

1 Like

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 8:39pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:

You are putting words in my mouth because i never said its not true and you are contradicting yourself because even you yourself said no car is problem free.

I am talking about the brand generally. The BMW brand has never been known for reliability. They are more prone to problems compared to reliable japanese brands.

1 Like

Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by Galactico4ever(m): 8:46pm On Apr 21, 2020
chukel:
very reliable. Very strong. That engine and gearbox are sturdy and maybe never die. That said, you shouldn't be concerned about fuel consumption and still desire a V8. However, the fuel consumption isn't bad for a V8. Parts are everywhere. Moreover, what will you be changing. Find out why his friend is selling.
Thanks bro for this important info. we'll be checking out the car this weekend
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 8:48pm On Apr 21, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

-oil pan gasket
-Front crankshaft seal
-Cleaned intake valves
-changed all spark plugs

Nice ride you've got there. I don't know why i love BMW although i wont buy one with my money. Its good you are enjoying your BMW and i know some other folks are enjoying their's too.

My point is exactly what you said! It has already been established that some things about the car fail hence the need for religious maintenance. Unlike their japanese counterpart.

The complex electronics of these cars is the main culprit for their unreliability and they are essential for the driving dynamics of the car.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by chukel(m): 9:08pm On Apr 21, 2020
HARDEYEBER:

-oil pan gasket
-Front crankshaft seal
-Cleaned intake valves
-changed all spark plugs
pretty car you have here. I have inpa scanner. Need to get ista D.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by foolbuster: 9:11pm On Apr 21, 2020
yungboss:

People stereotype Mercedes, BMW and other cars too easily as problem-ridden alot on Nairaland, sometimes I wonder if it's the same cars we drive that are demonized. Funnily enough, I see lots of calls from owners of Toyota, lexus and other cars, seeking help over one thing or the other...I own a Toyota Matrix, it's basically trouble free besides the rusty suspension (I failed in proper PPI) issues I'm still contending with.
I have replaced both rear hubs/bearings, front brake pads twice, rear shocks, brake shoes and just replaced one of the hubs again. I have replaced the thermostat. I can't even complain because these cars are being used and meant to develop issues over time. It's just a 1.8L 4wd 123 or so horsepower, nothing interesting about it.
It surprises me how someone would make a comparison of a 335i BMW with a Toyota Camry or a Corolla...
In my opinion, people should understand the inherent peculiarities in a car before jumping to purchase.
If one thinks BMW, Mercedes, Porsche,Audi, VW are not reliable or too complex it's best they steer clear and stick to what suits them.
Owners of these cars like to have them and deal with them the way they are...

In summary:
Toyota gives what BMW doesn't and BMW gives what Toyota doesn't. That's where their philosophies differ.

After fighting on here, who buys the new heavily influenced-BMW supra?

I get your point, but some things are just true no matter how you try to ignore or tone it down. It is not an argument it is a fact that performance cars are more problem prone and expensive to maintain than your normal everyday car especially if they are a luxury brand.

The thing with most die hard BMW fanboys BMW owners is that they've hardly owned another reliable brand as long as they've owned their BMW so they probably don't understand what you are talking about when you tell them BMW's are problem prone because they religiously maintain their beamer and enjoying it and it serves them so they've gotten used to constantly spending on their beamers. They have not experienced what it feels like to not have to constantly spend on a car. Only broke luxury car owners will understand.
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by yungboss(m): 9:34pm On Apr 21, 2020
foolbuster:

I get your point, but some things are just true no matter how you try to ignore or tone it down. It is not an argument it is a fact that performance cars are more problem prone and expensive to maintain than your normal everyday car especially if they are a luxury brand.

The thing with most die hard BMW fanboys BMW owners is that they've hardly owned another reliable brand as long as they've owned their BMW so they probably don't understand what you are talking about when you tell them BMW's are problem prone because they religiously maintain their beamer and enjoying it and it serves them so they've gotten used to constantly spending on their beamers. They have not experienced what it feels like to not have to constantly spend on a car. Only broke luxury car owners will understand.
I understand you, I have a Matrix too so I'm not one-dimensional, you made some comments yesterday or so, to which I completely concur.
I just don't believe people should knock heads, express hate, quarrel or spite one another over car choices, just ranting from a general perspective...
Re: Please Advice Needed On Getting A BMW E60 530i 2005 And A Toyota Camry 2009 Mode by weyreypey: 9:34pm On Apr 21, 2020
don't be a fool... reasonable persons have spoken here. the bmw mentioned here are far more reliable than a lot of your toyota and lexus sedans ....try not to mention me .

foolbuster:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Things Go Wrong / Issues With My Ride After Fixing. / 15 Fastest 4-cylinder Cars 2015.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 237
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.