Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years (3190 Views)

Types Of Conditions In The Marriage Contract / Fbi Concludes 15 Years Investigation Of Islam / Marriage Of Aisha (r.a) At 9 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Superjazz: 2:03pm On Apr 22, 2020
It had been proven that a girl starts maturity at the age of puberity 12 years and upwards in most females and a female body becomes ready for given birth at at least 17 to 18years.why do Muslims and imams still go ahead to marry a 12year old girl and put the young lad under emotional stress while is isn't ready for what's she is going into.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Billcakes: 1:25am On Apr 23, 2020
Why are people not commenting on this topic. Oh I see , it's sensitive abi ? Sensitive my foot, please drop your comments

1 Like

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by IMAliyu(m): 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2020
Superjazz:
It had been proven that a girl starts maturity at the age of puberity 12 years and upwards in most females and a female body becomes ready for given birth at at least 17 to 18years.why do Muslims and imams still go ahead to marry a 12year old girl and put the young lad under emotional stress while is isn't ready for what's she is going into.
This is a crude comment I came across in YouTube's comment section.
"If she bleeds, she breeds"
Crude as it may be, it puts things into perspective.

1400 years ago, the idea of "legal age" didn't exist and definitely not in the harsh deserts of Arabia were the average life span was 40.

It was a common and normal idea that if a girl starts menstruating she is mature enough to be married off regardless of age.

And when Islam came along it didn't try making any change to this existing cultural norm.

And now you see where the issue is coming from, Muslims still live in that culture.

If you try speaking against it, the Muslim conservatives will use the argument that since the prophet(SAW) married Aisha at 6 and consummated the marriage at 9 (from the Sunni perspective. 14-16 for the shia) and since he is infallible and we are to imitate his every action, you are going against established belief.

Though there is nothing in the doctrine that would prevent the setting of an age of consent and marriage in a Muslim community especially when the health risk of underage marriage is well known and any one can make a medical argument against the practice.

The issue with why this still exists is if you (a Muslim) speak up against it is you will be shun Like how former Emire SLS who is well educated on Islam tried to speak against the Almajiri system and child marriage and was just ignored.
It is an outdated tradition and for you to speak against it is to go against a super old tradition that people still hold. And it becomes a battle between old traditional norms and reason.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by IslamVIRGINS(f): 8:58pm On Apr 23, 2020
It's in sunah of Muhammad, as he (Muhammad) was an example of child marriage between him at 53yr of age and Aisha who was 6yr of age

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 1:52am On Apr 25, 2020
IMAliyu:

This is a crude comment I came across in YouTube's comment section.
"If she bleeds, she breeds"
Crude as it may be, it puts things into perspective.

1400 years ago, the idea of "legal age" didn't exist and definitely not in the harsh deserts of Arabia were the average life span was 40.

It was a common and normal idea that if a girl starts menstruating she is mature enough to be married off regardless of age.

And when Islam came along it didn't try making any change to this existing cultural norm.

And now you see where the issue is coming from, Muslims still live in that culture.

If you try speaking against it, the Muslim conservatives will use the argument that since the prophet(SAW) married Aisha at 6 and consummated the marriage at 9 (from the Sunni perspective. 14-16 for the shia) and since he is infallible and we are to imitate his every action, you are going against established belief.

Though there is nothing in the doctrine that would prevent the setting of an age of consent and marriage in a Muslim community especially when the health risk of underage marriage is well known and any one can make a medical argument against the practice.

The issue with why this still exists is if you (a Muslim) speak up against it is you will be shun Like how former Emire SLS who is well educated on Islam tried to speak against the Almajiri system and child marriage and was just ignored.
It is an outdated tradition and for you to speak against it is to go against a super old tradition that people still hold. And it becomes a battle between old traditional norms and reason.

I hope this clarifies it for you.

Thanks for being honest about it.

We have three muslims here who defend this underage marriage. Lanrexlan, Empiree and Rilwayne001.

They all claim that there is nothing wrong or point out that some Christians do it too.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 2:34am On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

We have three muslims here who defend this underage marriage. .

They all claim that there is nothing wrong or point out that some Christians do it too.

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by lanrexlan(m): 5:23am On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

We have three muslims here who defend this underage marriage. Lanrexlan, Empiree and Rilwayne001.

Please stop spamming my mentions and stop lying too. Are you bored Logicboy?
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by IMAliyu(m): 5:30am On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

The reason they defend it is because a number of you guys try to make it a point to call Muslims and the prophet pedophiles, not for any reason, but to insult. Because of something that was seen as a norm for the time.

They made examples with Marry mother of Jesus's age at the time she was got married to Joseph. and Popes that were married to young girls. To show that this view was not limited to the Arab or Islamic world.

The very idea that a girl needs to be 18 to be of marriage or consent age is a recent( like 100 years recent) modern concept.
And not every place even agrees on the appropriate age.
In some parts of Europe the age of consent is 16 and in some prefectures of Japan the age is as low as 14.

In Nigeria in rural areas regardless of religion, girls aged from 13 to 16 are often being married off to older men.

It's like being angry at your great grandfather because he married your great grandmother when she was 12-16.

Although, another argument some make is that to curb sexual immorality in the society this is necessary (early marriages) .

Anyway, Now my point was not to justify or defend this actions (we know a lot more now than we did back then), but to put things into perspective.
Yes it's common in Nigeria's Muslim population, but that doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it or that there aren't attempts to discourage and stop it.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 5:56am On Apr 25, 2020
lanrexlan:

In prisons in the UK and USA, the inmates beat paedophiles to death. Just imagine that. Robbers, murderers, thieves, drug abusers and drug traffickers all gathering to beat paedophiles. That is how disgusting pedophilia is.

I will continue to call you out without mercy since you support muslims who engage in pedophilia. You justify it.you deflect to christianity when cornered.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 6:21am On Apr 25, 2020
IMAliyu:

The reason they defend it is because a number of you guys try to make it a point to call Muslims and the prophet pedophiles, not for any reason, but to insult. Because of something that was seen as a norm for the time.

They made examples with Marry mother of Jesus's age at the time she was got married to Joseph. and Popes that were married to young girls. To show that this view was not limited to the Arab or Islamic world.

The very idea that a girl needs to be 18 to be of marriage or consent age is a recent( like 100 years recent) modern concept.
In some parts of Europe the age of consent is 16 and in some prefectures of Japan the age is as low as 14.

In Nigeria in rural areas regardless of religion, girls aged from 13 to 16 are often being married off to older men.

It's like being angry at your great grandfather because he married your great grandmother when she was 12-16.

Although, another argument some make is that to curb sexual immorality in the society this is necessary (early marriages) .

Anyway, Now my point was not to justify or defend this actions (we know a lot more now than we did back then), but to put things into perspective.
Yes it's common in Nigeria's Muslim population, but that doesn't mean that everyone agrees with it or that there aren't attempts to discourage and stop it.

First of all, you muslims claim that your religion is perfect. You cannot have a perfect religion from God that is bridled with paedophilia.

Secondly, if Christians, atheists, Jews etc could see that they were ignorant and accepted the secular age of consent law, I do not know why it is hard for muslim communities to do the same?

Thirdly, there is nowhere in the western world that you will marry anyone under 18 and you wouldn't be arrested. Even in America where the general marriage age is 18 but there are state exceptions to it, the age of consent laws and federal laws will still mess any paedophile who wants to marry under 18.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 6:21am On Apr 25, 2020
Empiree:

whitelotus:

In prisons in the UK and USA, the inmates beat paedophiles to death. Just imagine that. Robbers, murderers, thieves, drug abusers and drug traffickers all gathering to beat paedophiles. That is how disgusting pedophilia is.

I will continue to call you out without mercy since you support muslims who engage in pedophilia. You justify it.you deflect to christianity when cornered.

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 9:46am On Apr 25, 2020
You dey mind him?. He is a loser. They deliberately target islam and muslim while ignoring their own fasad. For in stance, they continue to throw insults at nabi(SAW) being pedo while ignoring their pope and vatican and priests. They are hypocrites. I dont support marrying a child to elderly but I will continue to put up argument with them to mess with their head cus they dont wanna listen.
IMAliyu:

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 9:47am On Apr 25, 2020
lanrexlan:
Oh he is logicboy again shocked grin

Omo ale ni boy yen sha cool
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 9:50am On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

Why are you talking about America(secular)?. Why dont you focus purely on jewish and christian religious marriage. Do your research and you get to see lots of dirt. Stop spamming monikers upandan
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by lanrexlan(m): 12:46pm On Apr 25, 2020
Empiree:
Oh he is logicboy again shocked grin

Omo ale ni boy yen sha cool
Yes, account number 45 grin grin
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by lanrexlan(m): 12:47pm On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

Yawns
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 8:30pm On Apr 25, 2020
Empiree:
Why are you talking about America(secular)?. Why dont you focus purely on jewish and christian religious marriage. Do your research and you get to see lots of dirt. Stop spamming monikers upandan

Two wrongs do not make a right.

Better address the paedophilia problem in islam before you start pointing fingers at others.

I'm happy that IMAliyu has confessed that conservative muslims do not want to change this tradition of believing girls are ripe for marriage at puberty. IMAliyu sees what is wrong in this practice.

You, Lanrexlan and Rilwayne001 do not see anything wrong in a 50 year old man marrying a 14 year old girlfriend in Saudi Arabia.

I will keep calling you out till you stop supporting this practice.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 9:04pm On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

Two wrongs do not make a right.
oh I see "Two wrongs do not make a right" but you picked on Islam and Muslims as scapegoat. Hypocrite. We know your type.

Better address the paedophilia problem in islam before you start pointing fingers at others.
you have already said "Two wrongs do not make a right." So if you can not speak truthfully then you should keep your mouth zipped. Fair enough?. There is no pedophilia in Islam.

I'm happy that IMAliyu has confessed that conservative muslims do not want to change this tradition of believing girls are ripe for marriage at puberty. IMAliyu sees what is wrong in this practice.
stop being hypocritical. Read his comment very well. Don't capitalize on his point. Address those other religions mentioned too or keep quiet. Marrying underage is more about tradition than religion. It is up to govt of that particular region to fix it. You have more than worse than underage marriage to worry about in Nigeria and other CHRISTIAN places. You have Jewish baby killers that you need to worry about.

[s]You, Lanrex.lan and Rilway.ne001 do not see anything wrong in a 50 year old man marrying a 14 year old girlfriend in Saudi Arabia[/s].

I will keep calling you out till you stop supporting this practice.
in your country Nigeria, you have worse than underage marriage. It is in your country that CHRISTIANs see a sickened child as a suspected witch. Same in other Christian dominated African countries. They stone babies to death for the alleged witchcraft. Yet you are here pretending to care so much about teenagers married to grown men.

God punish hypocrisy

1 Like

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 9:32pm On Apr 25, 2020
Empiree:
oh I see "Two wrongs do not make a right" but you picked on Islam and Muslims as scapegoat. Hypocrite. We know your type.

you have already said "Two wrongs do not make a right." So if you can not speak truthfully then you should keep your mouth zipped. Fair enough?. There is no pedophilia in Islam.

stop being hypocritical. Read his comment very well. Don't capitalize on his point. Address those other religions mentioned too or keep quiet. Marrying underage is more about tradition than religion. It is up to govt of that particular region to fix it. You have more than worse than underage marriage to worry about in Nigeria and other CHRISTIAN places. You have Jewish baby killers that you need to worry about.

[s]You, Lanrex.lan and Rilway.ne001 do not see anything wrong in a 50 year old man marrying a 14 year old girlfriend in Saudi Arabia[/s].

in your country Nigeria, you have worse than underage marriage. It is in your country that CHRISTIANs see a sickened child as a suspected witch. Same in other Christian dominated African countries. They stone babies to death for the alleged witchcraft. Yet you are here pretending to care so much about teenagers married to grown men.

God punish hypocrisy

I am not a Christian and I am not a Jew. Furthermore, paedophilia is worse in islam compared to other religions. Many muslims feel that the sharia gives them rights to marry girls off at puberty. Christians and jews submit to secular laws, unlike muslims who mostly follow the sharia.

To compare your problems in underage marriage to christianity and other religions is like an armed robber saying that a pickpocket is bad.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 10:25pm On Apr 25, 2020
whitelotus:

I am not a Christian and I am not a Jew. [s]Furthermore, paedophilia is worse in islam compared to other religions. Many muslims feel that the sharia gives them rights to marry girls off at puberty. Christians and jews submit to secular laws, unlike muslims who mostly follow the sharia.

To compare your problems in underage marriage to christianity and other religions is like an armed robber saying that a pickpocket is bad.[/s]

Then it is none of your business. Case closed
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 10:31pm On Apr 25, 2020
Empiree:
Then it is none of your business. Case closed

So if Boko Haram is chasing you and you see me in a fast car that could speed out of the dangerous environment and free you, WOULD YOU STILL ARGUE THAT IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS SINCE I AM NOT A MUSLIM?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 12:32am On Apr 26, 2020
whitelotus:

So if Boko Haram is chasing you and you see me in a fast car that could speed out of the dangerous environment and free you, WOULD YOU STILL ARGUE THAT IT IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS SINCE I AM NOT A MUSLIM?
Why dont you pick up your campagn speaker against kids accused of witchcrafts so we know you are a true activist?
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 12:56am On Apr 26, 2020
Empiree:
Why dont you pick up your campagn speaker against kids accused of witchcrafts so we know you are a true activist?

What makes you think that I have not?

I volunteer for an NGO in Nigeria that gives to the less privileged. I sponsor those who educate girls in local areas about sex, rape and contraceptives.

The nairaland religion section is littered with hundreds of my threads criticising the excesses of religion, mostly christianity.

You, Lanrexlan and many other muslims do nothing. You only know how preach islam. Conservative islam not even the liberal islam that is palatable.

You are like an ant questioning me. Not to talk of your brother lanrexlan that finished school recently. People with 10 years working experience are more humble than that guy.
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 1:44am On Apr 26, 2020
whitelotus:

What makes you think that I have not?

I volunteer for an NGO in Nigeria that gives to the less privileged. I sponsor those who educate girls in local areas about sex, rape and contraceptives.

The nairaland religion section is littered with hundreds of my threads criticising the excesses of religion, mostly christianity.

You, Lanre.xlan and many other muslims do nothing. You only know how preach islam. Conservative islam not even the liberal islam that is palatable.

You are like an ant questioning me. Not to talk of your brother lanre.xlan that finished school recently. People with 10 years working experience are more humble than that guy.
Audio volunteer. Audio NGO. Nigerian NGO are bunch of crooks. So you are one of those NGOs looting donors money. You are noted

1 Like

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 2:09am On Apr 26, 2020
Empiree:
Audio volunteer. Audio NGO. Nigerian NGO are bunch of crooks. So you are one of those NGOs looting donors money. You are noted

It seems that you have nothing to say.
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by Empiree: 3:39am On Apr 26, 2020
whitelotus:

It seems that you have nothing to say.
Audio volunteer grin cheesy shocked cool grin
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by lanrexlan(m): 4:55am On Apr 26, 2020
Empiree:
Audio volunteer grin cheesy shocked cool grin
Empty korodom making noise cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 9:45am On Apr 26, 2020
lanrexlan:
Empty korodom making noise cheesy cheesy

Look at person that is laughing at another person's work. You that barely have working experience on your CV.

grin grin
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 10:14am On Apr 26, 2020
Niger is the highest country in Africa with the prevalence of child marriages.

It is of no surprise that it is a predominantly muslim country.
Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by sulasa07(m): 1:34pm On Apr 26, 2020
whitelotus:
Niger is the highest country in Africa with the prevalence of child marriages.

It is of no surprise that it is a predominantly muslim country.

I thought christians always claimed they have a higher % than Muslims others

1 Like

Re: Why Do Islam Permit The Marriage Of Underaged Girls (10-15) Years by whitelotus: 1:45pm On Apr 26, 2020
sulasa07:

I thought christians always claimed they have a higher % than Muslims others
Niger not Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Non-muslimah's Experience Under The Hijab / Strange Reason Why Blacks Are Black / Match-making The Single & Searching Muslims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.