Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:44 PM

Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 (54171 Views)

UNTH To Dispose 450 Unclaimed Corpses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Staro: 12:40am On Apr 23, 2020
masterP042:
This is Nigeria. Almost every one likes to complain, and castigate the country and the leaders.. Until u have encounter with the average person out there, you'll know that they're no better than buhari or the average Nigerian they wail about.
Every where reeks of wickedness and incompetence.

Oga, take your foolishness somewhere else jare !
Whose duty is it to put things right ?

UNTH is a federal hospital.
Hospitals nationwide have been complaining of lacking Ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPEs) for COVID 19.
It is obvious the hospital didn't have any and this is a shame ... a big shame !

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Staro: 12:47am On Apr 23, 2020
avrex3k:
But why didn't you take her out of the hospital when you found out she was neglected, why did you watched her die like that, why ??

Did you even understand the story ?
Take her out to where ?
Which other hospital is higher than UNTH in Enugu ?

Even though they suspected COVID, was it not the doctor's responsibility to make efforts to save a life ?

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by franconian: 1:24am On Apr 23, 2020
Xisnin:
This is what you get when NMA is more interested in fighting Chinese doctors
rather than demanding for protective equipment and instilling professionalism in their members.

That said, only in Nigeria do doctors and nurses run away from their duties using one excuse or the
other. They display very little patriotism or pride.
Many of us know how they behave in normal times.

I hope we never have a real emergency on our hands.

Those people are terrible, I mean very terrible. It was when I had a medical emergency and was rushed to UBTH that I realized that living in Nigeria is too risky. This country is a f_cking death trap.

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by ghettochild(m): 1:56am On Apr 23, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Tragic.

To be candid though, I'd rather put the blame on the failed government than on the medical personnel. The behaviour of the medical personnel towards the man's wife is a fallout of the government's refusal to provide them with equipment for fighting this virus.
Why conclude its covid19? Did the doctor bother to ask for her travel history?
This is negligence and against the hippocratic oath..
That doctor license must be suspended

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by ojsmscom(m): 2:59am On Apr 23, 2020
my dear don't blame the doctors,blame our bad government that didn't make good provision for anyone who died in service to his fatherland..but thank God all of us are trapped in this together both the Rich and the poor should enjoy our decayed medical facilities for now.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Luchitec(m): 3:16am On Apr 23, 2020
Your submissions on this thread suggest that you never practiced in any developed country. It is only in Nigeria that you see some medics acting so cocky, with little passion for their job. Yes, some of the medics in Nigeria lack the much needed passion to save lives. Where I live, many doctors and nurses go the extra mile of using their personal money to source for PPEs during this COVID-19 pandemic. Given the scarcity of PPE everywhere, many medics here have been collaborating with universities and the private sector to devise alternative PPEs and medical equipment. Why are they making these aforementioned efforts? They do it because medical practice is a higher calling. it is a call to service. A service where the joy of saving lives supersedes any financial reward or public acclamation arising thereof. May God help Nigeria and Nigerians in this difficult time.
dumodust:

Guy, I have practiced both abroad and here and I have nothing else to prove.
Stop talking about things you know nothing about and go to sleep with your ignorance. Continue responding like u would do in your family meeting.
If I am placed in emergency services abroad, they have their sense of ethics intact and won't send you to war front bare. Google and see what they wear. They have improved allowances, life insurance and even get financial support from the govt and you are here ranting.

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by bobolaga: 3:40am On Apr 23, 2020
All this are lame excuses,if you know what you are doing as a professorial doctors,you know the types of personal protective requirements u need at this trying time,if you are not with the required ppe then you stop operation,you guys are working under assumption,how a patient will die before carried out corona virus test, imagine.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by eyinjuege: 4:21am On Apr 23, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Not true at all. Many are working with inadequate supply of PPEs. Many across the World. These are people's relatives.

You posted an article saying Drs and nurses lacking PPE are getting sick and dying from covid .
Is that supposed to support your argument that Nigerian Drs should work without PPE?
That even further confirms that they shouldn't work without PPEs.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Antichristus: 4:22am On Apr 23, 2020
THIS IS THE COUNTRY EVACUATING NIGERIANS FROM EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA?
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by eyinjuege: 4:36am On Apr 23, 2020
lapazi:

This is absolute BS

Don’t compare Nigeria with countries that are extremely overwhelmed with this pandemic. It is not out of place to hear that PPE getting depleted. It is not.

This is a case of a state owned medical facility.
There is no freaking way in hell that there are no PPE. Let’s call this what it is...

[/b]It is simple inhumane, the doctors are scared and completely unprofessional.[b] That’s what’s breaks my heart.

[/b]My this angry because this is the second case of such I’m reading in a week.[b]

How do you know of the availability of PPEs in UNTH? I am assuming you work there perhaps?
In the first place, PPEs should be in their emergency rooms, and there should never have been a case of going to look for one. If there's none in the ER, that means there's non in the hospital, because of what use is a PPE sitting gathering dust in their storage miles away from the ER where it's needed?
Secondly, Drs should be afraid of the corona virus and rightly so. It is a very deadly disease with no cure, and who's outcome cannot really be predicted, so they would be foolish not to be afraid of it. A healthy dose of fear is necessary in almost all situations.
Thirdly, expect to get angrier because your anger will not change anything. If covid eventually becomes widespread, more patients will not be seen by Drs if no PPEs. Unless you decide to put your anger into good use, and perhaps champion a campaign to provide adequate PPEs in hospitals.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by eyinjuege: 4:55am On Apr 23, 2020
I'm not sure what the situation is in Nigeria, but I hope majority of the hospital activities are suspended by now.
Only emergency services should be functioning, and also urgent care services.
Wards open should only be looking after patients from the emergency room.
All Drs, nurses should be directed to providing support for A/E staff. Only on call Drs should be visibly seen in the wards, others should be in A/E helping out and some should be deployed to covid centers in their various states with adequate training and PPEs.
Same should apply to private hospitals, they should be closed except they offer emergency services, deliveries of pregnant women, dialysis etc.

These are unprecedented times, and all hands should be on deck.
People should follow advice and lockdown rules, because if you catch covid, no hospital staff is willing to sacrifice their own life for yours.
If you have a fever and cough or breathing difficulty, pls call the ndcd number so you can be taken to the appropriate place for treatment.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by donjancd19(m): 5:04am On Apr 23, 2020
May her soul rest in peace!

It's disheartened,wicked and unprofessionalism.

How could you watch someone die in front of you in a hospital?wtf is wrong with this country selfand you called yourself a medical doctor.There is no way you will tell me that in whole UNTH there is no single PPEs,maybe they are preserving it to their oga at the top.

The Medical Director in that hospital need to be sacked immediately for other to take correction.Imagine this kind of thing happening in UK or USA.Everyone on duty that day will go to jail including the Medical Director.

No hope in this country ,honestly

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Miwasky: 5:11am On Apr 23, 2020
I was telling someone that as the year passes by the quality of doctors we had in the 80’s and 90’s decreases. Theses doctors have human Empathy and read medicine because they have passion to save lives.

Today we have doctors who read medicine just for the title and making money forgetting the through essence of medical practice ... you see them in medical school smoking marijuana, doing all kinds of drugs, carry women and sort their way up to graduation because they have parents who want them to answer doctors at all means.

The problem is not the government in this case. The problem is doctors who lack human empathy with bad egocentric attitude.

Doctors and NMA should hide their faces in shame because even the Nigerian government knows they are not qualified to handle Covid-19 patient that’s why they brought Chinese doctors without Nigerian practicing license to come and handle your patients this is a slap on their faces....This attitude is why people fly abroad for treatment because the quality of medicine is deteriorating everyday.

I have so many amazing doctor friends who are Amazing, wonderful and I respect them so much but some other doctors are terrible .

We need to change ourselves before we accuse the government because the woman did not die due to lack of PPE, she died because of lack of empathy by the doctors.

Rest In Peace Mother..

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by emmasege: 5:28am On Apr 23, 2020
What a painful story! May God console the bereaved, especially the young kids.

Not every medical doctor has the calling. A good number of them have no business in the medical practice. They found themselves there because of money, prestige and/or family pressure to produce a medical doctor.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by jaxxy(m): 5:36am On Apr 23, 2020
spiceadole:

Thank you..
Even here in UK where the availability of PPE is good..We are scared.
Not to talk of Nigeria...I would have resigned or taken a leave this period ,if I were still in Nigeria.

My life first!
My family needs me more than any patient!!

I pity doctors in Nigeria.
I pray this pandemic doesn't become overwhelming.

The doctors are impatient and incompetent as usual. Covid19 cases till date is barely up to 4 in enugu. This woman already has a medical history, she developed symptoms since January 2020 up till April, cardiovascular disorder for about a year, there is no coughing, consultant from another hospital familiar with the case said he will come and attend to her there cos it's an emergency and look what the lazy idiots quickly and hastily assumed.

This is the gross incompetence of our doctors with hasty and wrong diagnosis. This is not Covid19 for the fact she had the symptoms since January. I also wonder why no clear diagnosis was made since then till now.

Medical doctors must be detailed when dealing with people lives not guessing covid19.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Ekasco1(m): 6:01am On Apr 23, 2020
Take heart my brother may her soul rest in peace
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by ozone4oz(m): 6:23am On Apr 23, 2020
So sad. Yet another victim of our collapsed healthcare sector
RIP
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please ARM URSELF WITH HAND SANITIZER AND FACE MASK. REMEMBER MAINTAIN SOCIAL DISTANCING
THEY ARE SUPER EASY TO MAKE. You can easily to one yourself

HAND SANITIZER
Watch the videos on this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeEnwC1zz4MCXVlYzJ2SCuw/
To learn how to make alcohol based hand sanitizer as recommended by WHO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93eWEg1iqjQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE2mbFa44vA

HOME MADE FACE MASKS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp0tAwjum5k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo31wOAkbOQ
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by masterP042(m): 6:46am On Apr 23, 2020
Staro:

Oga, take your foolishness somewhere else jare !
Whose duty is it to put things right ?

UNTH is a federal hospital.
Hospitals nationwide have been complaining of lacking Ventilators and personal protective equipment (PPEs) for COVID 19.
It is obvious the hospital didn't have any and this is a shame ... a big shame !
I have a close family member that works in one of the govt hospitals here in enugu. I've seen it times without number, most of the nurses and doctors are lackadaisical when it comes to patients that are not related to them or rich or connected. Even, that my family member doesn't even allow us to be attended to by certain doctors and nurses at their workplace because some of them are very careless and incompetent. They don't know their work. It's not about always complaining about our leaders. I pity the average person out there because he faces a lot of dangers daily.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by joe4christ(m): 7:06am On Apr 23, 2020
Babythicksme17:
They already know they are in Nigeria,why go into health sector then?nobody force anybody!They should quit if they are not being satisfy with what the pay them rather wasting the lives of people.Let us call a spade a spade!

Why will you say that? They are dedicated to saving lives, and most definitely they have been doing that prior to this time. But never at the expense of their lives. They also have loved ones. They are humans like you with fears. Do u expect them to be careless enough to risk being infected and likewise risk infecting their loved ones back home simply cos they wanna be hero to an irresponsible Government
If they resign due to this pandemic. I bet you will be the first to call them cowards. At least they can still save lives of people with health issues unrelated to convid-19.
I bet my balls you won't do any better if you were to be in their shoes!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by snowblaq(f): 7:23am On Apr 23, 2020
lapazi:

This is absolute BS

Don’t compare Nigeria with countries that are extremely overwhelmed with this pandemic. It is not out of place to hear that PPE getting depleted. It is not.

This is a case of a state owned medical facility.
There is no freaking way in hell that there are no PPE. Let’s call this what it is...

It is simple inhumane, the doctors are scared and completely unprofessional. That’s what’s breaks my heart.

My this angry because this is the second case of such I’m reading in a week.

Go and take over from them you that isn't scared and can work without PPE.... It's easier said than done....
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by snowblaq(f): 7:24am On Apr 23, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

You did not read the part resign and let those who can deal with the hazard takeover. If those people had gone to the hospital and they said no health workers available, they would have taken the woman somewhere else.

You do not swear an oath, wear lab coat, hang stethoscope, collect salary for years and run when the battle is on.

We cried this for decades and people did not listen. Treat medicine like military and take devoted people who are ready to deal with it. Now people are running and letting a woman slowly die for hours.

Talk is cheap.... Go and sack them na and take over.... Nigerians and only mouth
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Geesaintagape: 8:33am On Apr 23, 2020
No personal protective equipment to work with simple.
No.Dr would abandone a patient to die if there is facilities to protect himself
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by aigbokiejohnson(m): 8:34am On Apr 23, 2020
Sorry for the loss while we pray her soul rest in perfect peace. But all blame should rather go to the heartless government who failed to build infrastructure in our health facilities and believed they can as usual travel to Western world at slightest illness. It is not the fault if the frontliners in any way
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 23, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

He should resign and let those who can find a way to deal with the challenges of the job handle it. Doctor is not by force. The Doctors around the World risking their lives know what they signed for and swore an oath to.

These Doctors are paid salaries too. They can sacrifice for personal PPEs to protect their lives too. Than standing as a health worker and watching a woman die helplessly for 3 hours.
Now this is irrational.

Many of those doctors' salary cannot cover the cost of PPE for a week not to talk of nurses and others. Then you igbos, will increase the price of the face mask and PPE. You all and your government killed her. Simple
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:02am On Apr 23, 2020
Correcto:
Your frustrations are evident by your comment hence no good reply for you.

I wonder who's frustrated here!!! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:04am On Apr 23, 2020
ghettochild:

Osheeeeey Hippocrates junior brother!!! Come and suspend the license na!!!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:05am On Apr 23, 2020
snowblaq:

Talk is cheap.... Go and sack them na and take over.... Nigerians and only mouth

As in ehnnnnn..... Na only useless mouth dem get!!! Talk is indeed cheap, my dear.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nobody: 9:11am On Apr 23, 2020
Luchitec:
Your submissions on this thread suggest that you never practiced in any developed country. It is only in Nigeria that you see some medics acting so cocky, with little passion for their job. Yes, some of the medics in Nigeria lack the much needed passion to save lives. Where I live, many doctors and nurses go the extra mile of using their personal money to source for PPEs during this COVID-19 pandemic. Given the scarcity of PPE everywhere, many medics here have been collaborating with universities and the private sector to devise alternative PPEs and medical equipment. Why are they making these aforementioned efforts? They do it because medical practice is a higher calling. it is a call to service. A service where the joy of saving lives supersedes any financial reward or public acclamation arising thereof. May God help Nigeria and Nigerians in this difficult time.
they also do it because they can afford it and are well paid. Nigerian health workers are not well paid.

Hazard allowance is 5k, face mask is 11,500, how much is PPE? How much is Google? How is bills during lockdown? 150k salary cannot cover that.

Meanwhile a doctor abroad is well paid. There are no made in Aba boys and Igbo traders to increase prices and hoard basic materials.

Do you see the difference?

Many health workers enter medical school with a passion. By the times they start clinicals,reality of the failed system sets in and their passion starts to die. After bullying and abuse from seniors, being scammed and lied on by patients, irregular salary, writing exams but failing to enter residency because there's no slot or connect. Many of them lose the remaining passion by Youth service.

Same happened to me.

There's no emergency in a pandemic. My life first.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 23, 2020
ghettochild:

Travel history is no longer necessary. We already have community spread. Besides people still lie anyway. All cases of coronavirus in teaching hospitals and a doctor who died, including a houseofficer due to the coronavirus was because the patients lies about their travel and contact history. There's no point asking again.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:21am On Apr 23, 2020
It's funny how humans, who don't have an idea of what's happening out there, come on social media to blast doctors!!

Do you know how many doctors have lost their lisve in this Covid-19 era, just because the family members deliberately lie about the travel history of the patient? Why exactly are patients, who know they have Covid19, and their relatives lying? What do they intend to achieve? And yet, the public would not raise an outcry over it.

Everything happening is just a "cause and effect" situation and those who suffer are the patients that come after.

I've seen cases and I've seen cases!! I've had terrible experiences with patients and their relatives. It got to the point that my consultant had to prepare a legal document for all patients coming into the A&E to sign concerning their travel history, and if it's found that it was a lie, they are liable to forfeit their properties and go to jail!!! It's really that bad!!

A wise man once said, "never criticize a man till you walk in his shoes".

Y'all think I would not have loved to stay at home during this lockdown? Yet I'm here trying to save lives of those trying to kill me!!! It's ridiculous!!

That being said, if the way the current crop of doctors act is inhumane and deadly, and all they came for is the money, pick the form, go to medical school and come out to be the Doctor you've always wanted to see. We go copy you!!!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:23am On Apr 23, 2020
funmisticqueen2:

There's no emergency in a pandemic. My life first.

Exactly!!!! I love this line!!! Can we just marry at once!!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by maasoap(m): 9:38am On Apr 23, 2020
dumodust:

Well, go to the teaching hospitals and check what they have first before making comments.

I don't know it is that bad at teaching hospitals! Hospitals never lacked gloves and masks, stop all these sensationalism.

And pls, volunteer at your nearest teaching hospital to assist in carrying patients if you are so passionate, maybe it will help you see what's on ground. Leave naira land and go to field yourself if you dare then return and tell us tales pls Mr lawma

I don't have business attending to patients. They should have stayed at their home too. Ignorance kills faster than disease itself.
We read a nairalander here narrated his experience at LUTH. Doctor refused to attend to all patients, telling them to bring two separate results of covid-19 tests that would be done on them within 48 hours! Is that one a doctor?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

SPOTTED: Airplane Seats Being Used For Visitors At A Lagos Hospital (photo) / List Of Nigerian Nurses Caught For Forging Educational Credentials In The US / Doctors Charles Ikeji & Terhemba Lan Suspended Over Deaths Of Patients. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.