Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,751 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 - Health (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 (54167 Views)

UNTH To Dispose 450 Unclaimed Corpses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by snowblaq(f): 8:59pm On Apr 22, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

What stopped the hospital management from securing PPEs even though is small scale for highly suspected cases? They are working and there is a possibility of asymptomatic carriers. Depending on government alone is not the solution when the government have decided to remain docile.

So blame the government and not the practitioners.... In saner countries the government makes this provisions. I have a dad who's a doctor and I'd rather have him not treat a suspected case than have him exposed to a potential carrier.... And then he has to treat himself with his own funds?... No way....
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by mechanics(m): 9:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
This is a serious misconduct, those involved should be queried.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:03pm On Apr 22, 2020
snowblaq:

So blame the government and not the practitioners.... In saner countries the government makes this provisions. I have a dad who's a doctor and I'd rather have him not treat a suspected case than have him exposed to a potential carrier.... And then he has to treat himself with his own funds?... No way....

He should resign and let those who can find a way to deal with the challenges of the job handle it. Doctor is not by force. The Doctors around the World risking their lives know what they signed for and swore an oath to.

These Doctors are paid salaries too. They can sacrifice for personal PPEs to protect their lives too. Than standing as a health worker and watching a woman die helplessly for 3 hours.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:03pm On Apr 22, 2020
Correcto:
Trash!!!!! Doctors hiding under Protection. Doctors in UNTH have fair amount of protection equipment but are just afraid. See in New York some nurses and doctors were reusing PPEs which is dangerous but they never ran away from their patients. Doctors in Nigeria are in for their money only.

Hunku, why stay here and complain? Oya go New York na!!! Or pick UTME forms and go study medicine.... If you can't do any of the two, then SHUT UP, STAY HOME AND STAY SAFE!!!!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Nobody: 9:05pm On Apr 22, 2020
DanseMacabre:

I don't quite get your drift sir.
I am trying to say, if the woman has corona virus as they where afraid she has, why did they carry on as ussual after she died? where they not supposed to have gone and get tested? after exposure to the dead woman? does it mean suddenly they where not afraid anymore of corona after she died?

comprende?! cheesy
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by snowblaq(f): 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

He should resign and let those who can find a way to deal with the challenges of the job handle it. Doctor is not by force. The Doctors around the World risking their lives know what they signed for and swore an oath too.

These Doctors are paid salaries too. They can sacrifice for personal PPEs to protect their lives too. Than standing as a health worker and watching a woman die helplessly for 3 hours.

The doctors risking their lives around the world have PPE sir...
How much are the doctors paid Oga?.... Until it's your relative that's at the front line then you'll understand. It's always easier said than done....

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Joshialex(m): 9:06pm On Apr 22, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

He should resign and let those who can find a way to deal with the challenges of the job handle it. Doctor is not by force. The Doctors around the World risking their lives know what they signed for and swore an oath too.

Your ignorance seems ancestral!!!
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by lapazi(m): 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2020
DanseMacabre:
Tragic.

To be candid though, I'd rather put the blame on the failed government than on the medical personnel. The behaviour of the medical personnel towards the man's wife is a fallout of the government's refusal to provide them with equipment for fighting this virus.

This one of the most stupid assertions I have seen in a while on this forum.

Do you know what it means to be a medical doctor?

Is it the government that will teach these clowns how to dress up in their PPE and attend to these patients?

Or you want to tell me a teaching hospital don’t have these?

Don’t angry me

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:14pm On Apr 22, 2020
snowblaq:

The doctors risking their lives around the world have PPE sir...
How much are the doctors paid Oga?.... Until it's your relative that's at the front line then you'll understand. It's always easier said than done....

Not true at all. Many are working with inadequate supply of PPEs. Many across the World. These are people's relatives.

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:15pm On Apr 22, 2020
Joshialex:

Your ignorance seems ancestral!!!

Abuse does not give your point credence.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Kei144(m): 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2020
Alagbu is an Umuawulu name, Awka South, Anambra.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by lapazi(m): 9:16pm On Apr 22, 2020
spiceadole:
The medical personnels were in order.

No PPE...Run for your life!

Every patient right now is handled as a suspected Covid-19 case.
How much more with such complaints.

Medical personnels also have families and loved ones..Many are breadwinners too.

May the soul of the departed rest in peace.

What are you saying?

It’s like you don’t know the meaning of PPE.

This is a fvcking teaching hospital!

Please google what PPE is and come back and edit your post

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by snowblaq(f): 9:17pm On Apr 22, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

Not true at all. Many are working with inadequate supply of PPEs. Many across the World.

And you did not read the part where working without PPE made most of them sick and die of the virus?... My dear, wisdom is profitable to direct. No PPE, no work... Focus this energy on holding the failed government accountable instead of directing it to health care workers who have to also prevent not just themselves but their families back home from getting infected and dying.

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:20pm On Apr 22, 2020
snowblaq:

And you did not read the part where working without PPE made most of them sick and die of the virus?... My dear, wisdom is profitable to direct. No PPE, no work... Focus this energy on holding the failed government accountable instead of directing it to health care workers who have to also prevent not just themselves but their families back home from getting infected and dying.

You did not read the part resign and let those who can deal with the hazard takeover. If those people had gone to the hospital and they said no health workers available, they would have taken the woman somewhere else.

You do not swear an oath, wear lab coat, hang stethoscope, collect salary for years and run when the battle is on.

We cried this for decades and people did not listen. Treat medicine like military and take devoted people who are ready to deal with it. Now people are running and letting a woman slowly die for hours.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by lapazi(m): 9:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
snowblaq:

This is absolute BS

Don’t compare Nigeria with countries that are extremely overwhelmed with this pandemic. It is not out of place to hear that PPE getting depleted. It is not.

This is a case of a state owned medical facility.
There is no freaking way in hell that there are no PPE. Let’s call this what it is...

It is simple inhumane, the doctors are scared and completely unprofessional. That’s what’s breaks my heart.

My this angry because this is the second case of such I’m reading in a week.

3 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Amhappy(f): 9:26pm On Apr 22, 2020
DanseMacabre:

Is the bolded a fact sir?

As for insinuating I'm 'covering up for them', how so?

Tell me who wouldn't join in condemning them if they had PPE but refused to attend to her.

They had PPE. Got this info from a reliable source. Some people has collected query because of the death of this woman. A lot of big names were concerned hearing this kind of story from UNTH.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by stasius: 9:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Chai.

Who is to blame here? This is disheartening. But it is possible those doctors have no PPE to work with.

In the event of a Pandemic pray to God not to fall ill because there is no emergency in a Pandemic. Every medical emergency coming in this period will be treated as suspicious.

Way forward===> provide health workers with PPE so they can comfortably work. They are most at risk.
In doubt, ask those who have tested positive after performing heroic deeds without PPE how far?
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Amhappy(f): 9:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
TheGoodJoe:

What stopped the hospital management from securing PPEs even though is small scale for highly suspected cases? They are working and there is a possibility of asymptomatic carriers. Depending on government alone is not the solution when the government have decided to remain docile.

They had PPEs.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Tedpgrass: 9:27pm On Apr 22, 2020
Thank God, medical practice is not like the military

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:32pm On Apr 22, 2020
Amhappy:

They had PPEs.

If you know how these government hospital workers behave, you will weep. Some of them will send the family members of the sick people to buy PPEs. I am telling you. Meanwhile they get these supplied to them regularly and funding for it.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by RTSC: 9:36pm On Apr 22, 2020
pweeryambre:

I know for a fact that majority of doctors in Nigeria as whole are just in it for the money, they study medicine in school, then cram text books and formula and pass and then start chasing their residence in federal hospitals, with zero passion to save life's, very arrogant too, also very stingy, with all the money they are been paid, I know this because I work with them. it's quite unfortunate.
That is the problem.
We have very few doctors. Real doctors called to the profession.

What we have are science students who hated maths, have a flair for biology and decided to study medicine because they heard that doctors are respected and rich or because of their parents.

Most were not destined or called to be doctors.

There are doctors in war zones risking their lives for humanity.

You know those ones are called to be doctors.

A real doctor should not watch someone die because of PPE, especially when there is no certainty that the fellow is infected in the first place.

2 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by dumodust(m): 9:38pm On Apr 22, 2020
Correcto:
Trash!!!!! Doctors hiding under Protection. Doctors in UNTH have fair amount of protection equipment but are just afraid. See in New York some nurses and doctors were reusing PPEs which is dangerous but they never ran away from their patients. Doctors in Nigeria are in for their money only.
Please reply with adequate statistics and not fair amount. If you are privy to how the PPE was shared, pls let us know. You can't attend to suspected covid pts with just gloves and that flimsy face mask u guys bandy about.
Just listen to.yourself@ re-using PPE. does that sound sensible to you? Why don't you suit up too with re-used PPE and accompany the docs in Nigeria just to stand and document for them. I bet you won't be caught anywhere near any patient suspected to have covid so why do you think other people without adequate protection should?
Have you seen what the ncdc guys wear? Have u seen that in any teaching hospital? The advise to the public is not to come to hospital if having covid symptoms but to call ncdc... Why do you think that rule is there?
Nigerian teaching hospitals are not centres for suspected covid cases, if suspected, it becomes the job of ncdc and the isolation centres to continue.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Princewell2012(m): 9:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
So the doctor can not lay their hands on any nose mask and hand glove to attend to the woman? hmm but when she died they were nolonger afraid of her corps. Does it mean that the dead body of an affected person can not be transmited if it get in contact to another person?
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by DanseMacabre(m): 9:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
Amhappy:

They had PPE. Got this info from a reliable source. Some people has collected query because of the death of this woman. A lot of big names were concerned hearing this kind of story from UNTH.

Then in that case they should be wholly condemned.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by pacino26(m): 9:44pm On Apr 22, 2020
Gr8amechi:

See the way you guys channel your hatred wrongly is sadden.
A governor spent 500 million for none existent isolation centre, no ppe and a suspected case comes and you expect health workers to attend to her ?? If your wife or son is the doctor would you allow him??

See as a doctor I wouldn't go near any patient without ppe, for your information recent studies even show ppe don't profer 100% protection against the virus, politician eat money and you expect doctors to sacrifice their lives for the politician??

Mr dokita so with visual inspection you arrived at your diagnosis that she is Covid 19 positive abi? My anger is not because Ugwuanyi did audio 500million, but that the negligence of your kind is alarming. A lot of people have died waiting to be documented, some died cuz folks like you would rather wait to be served fried rice before you handle an emergency.

You know nothing about sacrifice

3 Likes

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by abimic(m): 9:48pm On Apr 22, 2020
The doctors are very unprofessional, as much as government is worst, we complicate things, the Corona they're running from, they would still attend to same patients last last. Even with PPE, doctors are still contracting it, these docs just wanted to be unfortunate. Getting a makeshift surgical nose masks and gloves to understudy her situation shouldn't be a big deal but the docs made a mountain out of a molehill. Many would still lose their lives over other sicknesses requiring emergency, but fear of covid-19 would make them be neglected and Rejected
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Jaqenhghar: 9:56pm On Apr 22, 2020
sandysaint:

Does this make sense to you? If your sibling is a health care worker, would you be happy they saw a patient with suspected Covid-19 without basic protection and came home back to you?

Simple PPE, your government will not provide. Doctor will die, your minister of health will come and say it was his fault.

PPE's are only made available to the taskforce on Covid-19 in hospitals now whereas every health care worker in this pandemic should be wearing a PPE
It seems you missed the part I said if work conditions dont favour You, quit the job. Is it not better to not show up than show up and ignore patients. By showing up you have shown you are ready to take the risk then why back down. Does that make sense to You?

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by BigBashiru: 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2020
OdefaGirl:
"Doctors At UNTH Watched My Wife Die Like A Foul Without Helping Her For Fear Of Coronavirus"

-Husband

A 40-year-old man, Mr Nwachukwu Alagbu, has accused medical doctors at University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital UNTH, Ituku Ozalla, Enugu state, of killing his wife for the fear of been contracting the dreaded Coronavirus.

The man who cried profusely over the death of his wife with four children behind, explain to our Correspondent that; “my wife, late Mrs Nkiru Alagbu, was a 35-year-old woman who developed cardiovascular disorder shortly after her last child more than a year ago.

“Her medical condition had been waxing and waning, especially after every treatment.

“In January 2020, my wife developed the following symptoms: fever, breathlessness, chest pain, morbid weakness, and excessive sweating and loss of appetite. Her illness made my lovely wife visit so many hospitals until Tuesday (14th April 2020) when she had to be referred to a diagnostic Clinic in Enugu for some investigations.

“Right there, the good-spirited Consultant in that Clinic promptly referred her to a cardiologist for immediate attention when he noticed her major health challenge was cardiovascular disease”.

Continuing, Alagbu said “this action heralded our travails. For the avoidance of doubt, my wife and I had not traveled outside Enugu and Anambra States in the last five years. We had never come in contact with anyone diagnosed or suspected of having COVID-19.

“Unfortunately, by the period we got to the private hospital in Enugu in the morning on 15-04-2020, we were directed to Enugu State University Teaching Hospital Parklane GRA, Enugu. At ESUTH Parklane, they informed us their hospital did not have a functional Trolley or wheelchair to wheel my wife to the ward and that the hospital wards were full without empty beds.

“In frustration, I immediately took her to UNTH, Ituku/Ozalla. That was where the worst happened. A doctor came and from a prescribe social distance asked some few questions. Quickly, he concluded that, it was a case of COVID-19. Immediately myself, my brother’s wife and a family friend who offered to accompany us to the hospital started crying because none of the medical personnel on duty in the hospital Emergency cared to assist after my late wife was tagged a COVID-19 case. At this time my wife whispered to my ear, that I should not allow her die. I saw my wife in pain and she keep telling me that she would not die. I cried my eyes out when i learnt that the consultant cardiologist called UNTH, informing them to admit my wife for him. That he was coming to take over her treatment, but they ignored him, saying my wife was a Coronavirus patient.

“Within a short while, after the doctor made that COVID-19 proclamation, all the medical personnel disappeared. No one bothered to come close to her while she was lying in the car helpless. And after waiting for more than 30 minutes, I saw my brother’s wife ( A Consultant’ wife) crying uncontrollably, and handing her phone to a doctor so that the husband could explain the health situation of my wife to him.

“My brother later informed me what the doctor said. He said that they had started making efforts to contact the COVID-19 medical team that would handle the case of my wife.

“He told me that the doctor he spoke with on the phone was so rude and that that UNTH doctor started accusing him of threatening him after informing him that he had to make efforts to sustain the sick alive while they make their efforts at confirming or ruling out the COVID-19.

“All attempts made by my brother to convince them that my wife was not a COVID-19 case proved abortive”, Alagbu added.

He continued: “I have never felt so incapacitated like this since I was born some 40 years ago. I saw my wife die like a foul in a hospital, and the doctors turned their backs at her and worked away without pity or compassion, he wept.

“They allowed my wife to die unattended to, all in the name of fear of COVID-19. Medical doctors watched my wife die like a soulless being. I thought it was a local movie playing when I could not get help from the Government Hospital, simply because the doctors felt my wife had COVID-19 symptom.

“I knew the worst could have happened. But, I kept calm. To my most considerable chagrin, it took the person of the Chief Medical Director of the hospital to attend to her personally and certify her dead after the sick had been in the hospital for hours without the desired attention.

“It is a sad history in my whole life watching the mother of my children died like a foul. The hospital could not open a folder or card. She came to the hospital, died after about three hours while in a car”.

At that point, Nkiru’s body was taken away from UNTH Enugu to a private mortuary.

While calling on Enugu state governor, Chief Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and the National Center for Disease Control (NCDC), to urgently intervened on the matter, Mr. Alagbu, asked If indeed the case was a COVID-19 case, “how come there were no efforts put in place for sample collection even after death, what measures did the hospital put in place to safeguard the mortuary staff?, Why did it take the hospital hours to wear their PPE and attend to the patient? What is the hope of ordinary men in our Nigeria hospital today? How come the whole fear of COVID-19 disappeared as soon as the patient died? I am heart-wrecked because my wife died leaving behind four children, the eldest is 11 year old.

“This wicked doctors watched my wife die like a foul for a purported fear of COVID-19”, he cried via telephone.

When contacted on the allegation the chairman UNTH, Medical Advisory Committee, Dr. Valentine Ogwu, he said he was in a meeting and promised to called back which he never did after several calls and text messages.

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/how-doctors-abandoned-my-wife-to-die-over-covid-19-suspicion.html

Africans are the cursed descendants of Ham/Canaan. That's why the doctors and medical team acted that way.

1 Like

Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by dumodust(m): 9:58pm On Apr 22, 2020
RTSC:

That is the problem.
We have very few doctors. Real doctors called to the profession.

What we have are science students who hated maths, have a flair for biology and decided to study medicine because they heard that doctors are respected and rich or because of their parents.

Most were not destined or called to be doctors.

There are doctors in war zones risking their lives for humanity.

You know those ones are called to be doctors.

A real doctor should not watch someone die because of PPE, especially when there is no certainty that the fellow is infected in the first place.

Hahahaha...@ the bolded.
Very incredible statement.
So when it finally becomes certain and the doctor dies shortly after like we have lost some already due to insincere patients, who will continue the covid war? Will you provide for their loved ones and families?
Besides that, the PPE also protects the patient from the at risk health workers if the pt does not have PPE.
There's no emergency in a pandemic pls.
Channel your grievances to the appropriate quarters or you go for a short course on attending to patients and actually attend to them yourself without PPE.
If changes are not made like acquiring more PPE or making ventilators available for cases like the index case with severe distress... Many more people will die sadly including the health workers you are glad to kill
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by Maykanu: 10:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
Oh such a cute family.

Can only imagine d pains u going through. Pls be strong for d kids. I see u as a loving father.
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by dumodust(m): 10:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
Princewell2012:
So the doctor can not lay their hands on any nose mask and hand glove to attend to the woman? hmm but when she died they were nolonger afraid of her corps. Does it mean that the dead body of an affected person can not be transmited if it get in contact to another person?
Will you attend to a known covid patient with the road side facemask and hand gloves?
Nigerians are just incredible people.
You guys think this covid thing is a joke, just wait a little longer, it's loading
Re: Nwachukwu Alagbu: UNTH Enugu Doctors Watched My Wife Die For Fear Of COVID-19 by SIRTee15: 10:01pm On Apr 22, 2020
Amhappy:

So what's the true story here....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

SPOTTED: Airplane Seats Being Used For Visitors At A Lagos Hospital (photo) / List Of Nigerian Nurses Caught For Forging Educational Credentials In The US / Doctors Charles Ikeji & Terhemba Lan Suspended Over Deaths Of Patients. PHOTOS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.