Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,022 members, 7,814,493 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:43 PM

COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo (37684 Views)

Charles Soludo Wins APGA governorship Primaries / Buhari Appointment Of Charles Soludo Makes Me Believe He Means Well For Nigeria / Buhari Constitutes Economic Team: Charles Soludo, Others Get New Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by realborn(m): 9:21am On Apr 24, 2020
Simply put, return to the Lagos Model (pre-absolute cessation by FG) but with an entrepreneurial cognitive thought process of grabbing the opportunity to provide solutions for the entire Africa by making and exporting face masks, sanitizers and related elements.

Well said Prof. Soludo.

Nonetheless, because of the nonchalance of Nigerians and high probability of gross indiscipline, and the viral nature of COVID-19, the option of relaxation is not an outright way forward. It could lead to a geometric progression.

In my candid opinion, the most plausible approach is to identify local supplements and produce that assist with stemming the risk of infection in addition to safe and hygienic practices. As it is now, no one is sharing any information on methods used to manage the situation with patients who are now negative.

This can be combined with a partial lockdown and monitored for a defined period for success.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 24, 2020
Cammo:
Breaking Bad. Mad series.
Wow.. Really
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 9:22am On Apr 24, 2020
Northerners r basically dull and uneducated!!
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Offpoint: 9:23am On Apr 24, 2020
Didn't read it, but they say "it's nice piece" so I concur until summarize version is out.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by AbuEzeFemi(m): 9:24am On Apr 24, 2020
Prof should be the Leader of a country
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by babyfaceafrica: 9:26am On Apr 24, 2020
Bossontop:
How come naija still dey laidis when we get pipu wey get plenty sense??.......chaii....naija mata na only God go come down come do am

Very nice writeup.......him for include adequate testing procedures make e for complete well well

The problem is not intelligent people... The problem is Nigeria style of politics.. Look by the time soludo gets to power.. His intelligence will be corrupted.. Is okonjo not intelligent, is nnaji not intelligent, is fowler not intelligent, Fashola,.. E. T. C.... Take these same people abroad and see them do well.. Nigeria kills talent!!!

7 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by solmus: 9:26am On Apr 24, 2020
Oladeji245:

atleast everyone now knows you are stvpid.
pelee

Only Fathers who gave birth to dingbats abusing strangers should be called stvpid for shying away from giving the dingbat simple home training

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Johnrake69: 9:27am On Apr 24, 2020
Sound piece from the erudite professor
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by arinzos(m): 9:28am On Apr 24, 2020
His solution is what we need now.
Lockdown is not Helping at all.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Ayor93(m): 9:31am On Apr 24, 2020
I agree with this.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by wink2015(m): 9:31am On Apr 24, 2020
joyandfaith:
Soludo has provided best solution.

I TOTALLY SUPPORT THE POSITION OF PROF. SOLUDO

He think out of the box and came out with a solution that fit not only Nigeria and its traditional way of life but his recommendations will also help many African countries whose economy is also struggling from the effect of the spread of the coronavirus disease.

European countries is already planning a European funds that will be set up to tackle the effects of coronavirus on the economy of member state.

Federal and state government should listen to the recommendations of Prof Soludo and relax the lockdown.

THERE IS BITTER ECONOMIC implications if the Buhari government continued to gang up with state governor s to lockdown States in Nigeria
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Vulcan24(m): 9:31am On Apr 24, 2020
Read with sense please (culled from BBC)

from the President White House briefing on Covid-19

What did President Trump say?
During Thursday's White House coronavirus task force briefing, an official presented the results of US government research that indicated coronavirus appeared to weaken more quickly when exposed to sunlight and heat.

The study also showed bleach could kill the virus in saliva or respiratory fluids within five minutes and isopropyl alcohol could kill it even more quickly.

William Bryan, acting head of the US Department of Homeland Security's Science and Technology Directorate, outlined the findings at the news conference.

Opinion: this may account to the low infection rate in Africa but your leaders are bent on propagating fear rather than information.

Compared to the Nigerian briefing on same issue: the only agenda is : How to share the money

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by israelmao(m): 9:31am On Apr 24, 2020
African case in peculiar we need to innovate.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Chrislaug(m): 9:33am On Apr 24, 2020
He nailed it.While I appreciate all the optimism floating around, I do also want us to be realistic here and understand that this is not going to be an overnight fix. We must brace ourselves psychologically for this storm and know that no matter how hard, this too shall pass. So keep the challenges and high spirits coming; let's do everything we can so spread some smiles through this ordeal.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by wink2015(m): 9:34am On Apr 24, 2020
wink2015:

I TOTALLY SUPPORT THE POSITION OF PROF. SOLUDO

He think out of the box and came out with a solution that fit not only Nigeria and its traditional way of life but his recommendations will also help many African countries whose economy is also struggling from the effect of Coronavirus pandemics.

European countries is already planning a European funds that will be set up to tackle the effects of coronavirus.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Angelfrost(m): 9:35am On Apr 24, 2020
All of you who have been arguing, insulting, and calling me names every time I call out this sham of a lockdown, come and read this!!!

God bless Prof. Soludo.... It is always refreshing to read things from fellow objective and intelligent like minds!!!

Some of you here are so myopic and self centered, failing to face the harsh realities of the day!!!

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Rapmoney(m): 9:37am On Apr 24, 2020
solmus:
cool

Audio Nigerian Professors don come.. Na only talk them sabi, create vaccine or cure all of them don silent, scammer Professor Iwu don go dodge for one corner

When sensible people talk, those who are not should shut up!!!

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by sulaak(m): 9:37am On Apr 24, 2020
Buhari, Zainab Shamsuna Ahmed and Kemi Adeosun financial short-term strategy.

Rather than confront the underlying structural dysfunction, the easiest escape is to pile up debts and contingent liabilities. This is the circularity that has brought Africa to the present embarrassment whereby barely some years after massive debt cancellations/reliefs from our creditors, we are again pleading for “debt relief”.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Coronavirus1: 9:38am On Apr 24, 2020
I am 100% sure that nobody read this full economic text book of soludo too long give few guidelines is fine .But more grace to your elbow.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Mizwisdom(f): 9:40am On Apr 24, 2020
We are just destroying our country for this virus. I don't know how this country will be after everything ends
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 9:41am On Apr 24, 2020
Seun:
This was the most important paragraph for me, where he proffered the solution:

We have been saying this for some time and it’s nice that more experts are saying it now. But we also need testing, which we can afford if people are working, making money, and paying their taxes instead of sitting at home and relying on government provided “palliatives”

What we say or clamor for does not make sense as long as we continue to have charlatans at aso rock.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Ike1(m): 9:42am On Apr 24, 2020
...A must read indeed. kudos.. Prof.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by solmus: 9:42am On Apr 24, 2020
Rapmoney:

When sensible people talk, those who are not should shut up!!!

that's right then shut the fvck up and let people like us talk
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Cantonese: 9:42am On Apr 24, 2020
China put Wuhan on lockdown but allowed areas like Beijing and Shangai continue economic activities leading to the discovery of vaccines, etc, which were then exported to the rest of the world... Charles Soludo.

But has he forgotten that in exporting vaccines, they exported corvid 19 to the rest of the world costing hundreds of thousands of lives. When Wuhan was put on lockdown, how come corvid 19 found its way out.

Lockdown helps but we must find ways of developing our own medicines to handle it.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by PHIPEX(m): 9:43am On Apr 24, 2020
My love for Soludo keeps hitting the roof. Any business man currently surviving the lockdown is eating his capital, how will he re-start his business if the lockdown persist or vaccine found? At some point the lockdown will be lifted but the damage done might be irredeemable, why not limit the damage now?

How long more shall we stay at home when even 1 case left untreated can still infect the whole population again. Should we remain at home till the last person is treated?

How do you intend to lockdown a hungry striven population for months and "hope" everyone will survive?

Let those who can stay at home and those who need to survive resume work.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by bobbyL(m): 9:43am On Apr 24, 2020
Truly interesting thought. Quite encouraging that he provided actionable thoughts.

The counterbalance to this would be an evaluation by health experts.. Using epidemiological models for example. With his suggested approach, what would the net impact be? How many potential deaths? We need to find a middle ground, we need to think, we need to find a solution that finance experts and health experts (who understand mortality implications) can agree on.

It was estimated that the Spanish flu killed as many as 500,000 out of Nigeria's population of 18 million at the time - over 100 years ago. We are facing an uncertain situation. Now is the time for us to really think.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Rapmoney(m): 9:43am On Apr 24, 2020
Trailblazer1:
Very sound analysis

See a nonentity grin

You're correct. A real nonentity!
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by chatinent: 9:44am On Apr 24, 2020
Africans cannot can.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Angelfrost(m): 9:44am On Apr 24, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
This is the best i have read so far concerning covid-19 and the lockdown. I hope others can read with open minds.

Honestly, this is more than the best...

This is the only sensible and insightful article written by an African since the pandemic started.. So balanced and factual!!!

If governors had a semblance of sense, they would know that copying lock downs just to show that they are "working" will hurt and do more harm than good!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Update On Third Mainland Bridge Repairs (Week 4) / Bandits Shoot Pregnant Pharmacist Dead For Being Sluggish / Bola Tinubu: My Life As A Cab Driver And Security Guard: PM News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.