Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo (37674 Views)

Charles Soludo Wins APGA governorship Primaries / Buhari Appointment Of Charles Soludo Makes Me Believe He Means Well For Nigeria / Buhari Constitutes Economic Team: Charles Soludo, Others Get New Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Avalancheman: 5:06pm On Apr 24, 2020
Acidosis:

So what will reduce the rate of spread?

"Confirmed" cases may be up to 100,000?? What about "confirmed" deaths?

Most of the cases are asymptomatic? Yes that's true.

Will they recover? Yes, a lot will.

Can recovered patients get reinfected with no preventive measures in place? Absolutely

Will the body continues to fight re-infected people? Oh well, The Lord is good to Africans and bad to Brits and Americans. cheesy

The rate of spread will reduce when we keep infected returnees from abroad from entering the country with the deadly "Tokunbo" version of the virus indefinitely.

What has stopped confirmed deaths from entering thousands after close to 3 months of the virus being Nigeria

There is no proof that recovered patients can be reinfected. Also NOT everybody can infected. Afterall, almost all who came in contact with Abba Kyari after he returned from Germany tested negative.

God has been so good to us because of the leadership, economic and other issues we are bedevilled it. Should Coronavirus join it, we shall go extinct! embarassed
Our environment is harsh for the virus. And we are also used to treating malaria.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Soradex: 5:26pm On Apr 24, 2020
While I believe that Mr Soludo has a point(several in fact) with this piece, I have a question: Why now? Why not write this before Govt took the decision to lockdown? It is easy to wait for the outcome of certain actions and then proffer solutions and look like an expert than to actually get involved at the beginning. The Govt has tried. They acted. They did something. Maybe that should be reviewed now. However, Soludo should have written this at the beginning if he was such an expert. Siddon look and then become the sudden wise expert who knew the outcome from the beginning leaves one with a funny impression. Govt, however, need to review it's action. It's a real devil's alternative situation here. Whatever decision is taken has serious implications.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by arinzos(m): 5:27pm On Apr 24, 2020
Soradex:
While I believe that Mr Soludo has a point(several in fact) with this piece, I have a question: Why now? Why not write this before Govt took the decision to lockdown? It is easy to wait for the outcome of certain actions and then proffer solutions and look like an expert than to actually get involved at the beginning. The Govt has tried. They acted. They did something. Maybe that should be reviewed now. However, Soludo should have written this at the beginning if he was such an expert. Siddon look and then become the sudden wise expert who knew the outcome from the beginning leaves one with a funny impression. Govt, however, need to review it's action. It's a real devil's alternative situation here. Whatever decision is taken has serious implications.
Either way, there are Consequences.
Since we have seen the consequence of the Lockdown why not try the Alternative for sometime too.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kokomilala(m): 5:34pm On Apr 24, 2020
Soludo is a clear thinker and his head is on his shoulders. What Africa lacks is leadership- inventive and prescient leadership- in spite its reservoir of original thinkers.
How can you just,by fiat ,lockdown 1.3 billion people in a continent where the informal sector contributes a large part to its GDP? What Africa has done ,by default,is that it has reversed all gains it had made on economic growth in the last decade.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by olamakinde(m): 5:42pm On Apr 24, 2020
ProfDview1:
For those that can't read well, lemme explain what Charles Trump is saying

Trump said Africa cannot afford to be in lockdown in this corona time... He also said Nigerians shud be wary of our leaders abt this corona business..

Trump also mentioned agege 1 million boys too, he said he will destroy them with his f22 fighter jet if they (1 million boys) dare threatened Iran again

I hope you guys understand now?

I hope to CONFUSE you but not to CONVINCE you
gringringringrin

Guys, which one sweet pass btw BREAKING BAD and HOMELAND
oda wo gha ni
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Acidosis(m): 5:51pm On Apr 24, 2020
Avalancheman:

The rate of spread will reduce when we keep infected returnees from abroad from entering the country with the deadly "Tokunbo" version of the virus indefinitely.

What has stopped confirmed deaths from entering thousands after close to 3 months of the virus being Nigeria

There is no proof that recovered patients can be reinfected. Also NOT everybody can infected. Afterall, almost all who came in contact with Abba Kyari after he returned from Germany tested negative.

God has been so good to us because of the leadership, economic and other issues we are bedevilled it. Should Coronavirus join it, we shall go extinct! embarassed
Our environment is harsh for the virus. And we are also used to treating malaria.

Well you're right. Let's hope for the best outcome
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by WaleGab: 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
Corrinthians:
I have said it and will continue to say it, Lockdown is hardly the best choice of action for us to take and is hardly sustainable. Pur government doesn't have what it takes for a successful implementation.
[/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by WaleGab: 6:00pm On Apr 24, 2020
[s]
solmus:
cool

Audio Nigerian Professors don come.. Na only talk them sabi, create vaccine or cure all of them don silent, scammer Professor Iwu don go dodge for one corner

[/s]
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by mubbyone(m): 6:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
Nice write up solido, so we still have brilliant people like this in this country , God bless.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by unitj(m): 6:30pm On Apr 24, 2020
Well said prof. So unfortunate that African don't have direction in all this issue raised. We don't have resources and structure to enforce and maintain lockdown, social distance and the rest, our leaders can't be watching CNN and other international media outfit and be doing copy and past on our economy system.
The western world is well structured and organized that cash and other palliative are given to their citizen at this striving period, even the way they expended all of this packages are so lovable.
My beloved African have miles ahead.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by SamuelAnyawu(m): 6:40pm On Apr 24, 2020
Friend22:

I guess you have something to offer that's why you are not recognised fior your "intellectual sagacity" other than owning a faceless moniker hete with no known credentials.
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but some of us need to respect ourselves .

Lol grin
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 24, 2020
AsomughaChuks05:
CC Soludo. Exhaling wisdom as always. The next governor of Anambra state.

The man's wisdom is on another level.

Obasanjo's tenure was the best Nigeria ever had. OBJ is a perfectionist, occasioned by his choices.

Soludo in CBN. Okonjo Iweala in Ministry of Finance.

God, when shall Nigeria get back to those days ?
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Tango123: 7:47pm On Apr 24, 2020
[quote author=Matrimonous post=88795216]Tango123 I hope you didn't miss this thread. cheesy grin[

Oga Matrimonous, having read the thread, I agree that just like you, the man has a good point.

Our main problem is our thieving leaders.

Their main priority now is not to save us, but more money, and 2023.

It's a pity. But it's the truth.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Tango123: 7:49pm On Apr 24, 2020
Matrimonous:
Tango123 I hope you didn't miss this thread. cheesy grin

Oga Matrimonous, having read the thread, I agree that just like you, the man has a good point.

Our main problem is our thieving leaders.

Their main priority now is not to save us, but more money, and 2023.

It's a pity. But it's the truth.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by gbodimowo(m): 7:54pm On Apr 24, 2020
andyanders:
Soludo, God bless you. Our incompetent leaders cannot apply the above stated by an economist, rather, they will be looking for ways to loot the donated funds.

Afrian leaders their own common sense to see a way out of this problem, rather to copy whatever steps their western partners are doing.

People are hungry and the moment the poor man who hunger is killing is rushed to the huspital, health workers would tag the person as covid-19. Hunger and other related deceases are ravaging African and it's lockdown you they think about and the ecomey that will be adversely affected.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by knowyaself2(m): 8:13pm On Apr 24, 2020
Oh my God! This is what I call thought provoking, in-depth analysis.
Why can't we have such an intellectual as the leader of this country?
If the government turns a blind eye to the solutions proffered by prof soludu, then we are finished.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by easysunny(m): 8:33pm On Apr 24, 2020
What an in-dept analysis, filled with facts and best alternatives.

If only, the handlers of our economy will listen.

God help us!
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by nsiba: 9:42pm On Apr 24, 2020
Words of a Guru
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by chinazaJoshua: 11:33pm On Apr 24, 2020
Please Samuel Anyanwu, do you ever know the meaning of looting. Which of the lootings are you accusing Prof. C. Soludo of?, The man that revitalize and recapitalized our banking systems. That pave way for the stability in our banking industry, an economist of economists, a seasoned accountant, and an expert in corporate governance policies?

Advice yourself biko
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by suremanpatriot: 11:53pm On Apr 24, 2020
African ruiers dont care about citizens they only capitaliz on opportunity to loot and loot with the agents of darkness.What this lockdown chains hav produced in africa in last over 4weeks. Lets take stock of their calamities:
they have produced more hardship to d ppl,gang robbers, scaled up human rights abuses, damaged frail economies, forced many ppl managing life into starvation and induced hundreds of deaths not related to covid minor fatalities. GOD WILL PLAGUE THESE EVIL LEADERS WITH THE COVID19 FOREVER.

HOW CAN THIS HYPOCRITE BE ASKING THIS QUESTION NOW THAT OUGHTTO HAVE BEEN ASKED 3WEEKS AGO? IS IT NOW HIS PAY MASTERS HAV INFLICTED EVIL LOCKDOWN EXTENSIONS TORTURING CITIZENS AND FUTHER LOOTING THEM FOR NEARLY A MONTH THAT HE CAN TALK?

COVID IS HERE RAVAGE ALL OF YOU CONSPIRATORS NO METTER HOW LONG YOU BLOCK THE ROADS D VIRUS WIL LOCATE EVERY EVIL RULER AND LOOTERS AND SILENCE THEM IJNA. undecided
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Kayyy: 2:49am On Apr 25, 2020
prof soludo has spoken well, however let us all talk reality rather than just praise what is at best a theory, everything he has said in his article even he knows cannot be visible but we are all quick to praise the thought process and embrace it, whether we like it or not everyone that is well read here knows we are in a damned if we do, damned if we dont situation here, while the prof was able to diasgnose why lockdown will not work perfectly in africa accurately, every other thing he listed as measures or solutions is just pandering to the people, seriously a blunt and outspoken person might have as well gone straight to the point and and just declare 'ease up the lockdown, and let the people take the gamble of every man for himself and let our fate be decided by ourselves and God', because every measure he is talking about will not reduce nor flatten the curve , so its very simple if we are at the mercy of the west finding a solution to this problem while we lockdown and people are in pains and hunger, we might as well all go out about our daily activities and still be at the mercy of the west, let who will die die finished.

To the people that will query how i arrived at this, when you remove interstate barriers and open up the economy, pls explain to me how soludo's solution will affects activities at computer village, alaba market, eko idumota, yaba market, other heavy populated areas like onitsha market, just to name a few. how do you control yellow buses, rush hour in the evening, let people profer solutions to this from what suggestions soludo has made, its time for reality pls, lest stop the whole lockdown wont work pandering and just say whats on our mind which is open the economy, anybody we go die make e die, period.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Pentasoft1978: 3:36am On Apr 25, 2020
Does the cow in ASO Rock knows how to read. soludo dont waste your energy
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by jmanity: 6:14am On Apr 25, 2020
The summary of it all: lift the lockdown, “stay at home if you can, or smartly go to work if you must” but whichever step we take our future prospects is already bleak. I agree with him, because with or without the lockdown people will die; heck, lassa fever is killing more people than covid 19.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by 2020Experience(m): 8:04am On Apr 25, 2020
Nice Solution from Soludo. The problem of Africa at large especially Nigeria is politicians and their worst followers.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Timblaze(m): 8:10am On Apr 25, 2020
Hmmm, much wisdom! I wish our leaders have time to read such a write up..
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Salako01(m): 8:47am On Apr 25, 2020
I read everything and to you that did not read it, go back and do so for it is worth......" Every shock or epidemic always comes with its own opportunities".....Did U see that. God help us to be among the few that will rise in this times. I just think that this virus levelled the playing field again, score if you can angry
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by DJperdurabo: 11:33am On Apr 25, 2020
GAZZUZZ:
This is the best i have read so far concerning covid-19 and the lockdown. I hope others can read with open minds.

Dem go gree?!
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by DJperdurabo: 11:34am On Apr 25, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:
Nice writeup Soludo.

Although a very brilliant Economist who messed up CBN staff welfare and looted CBN treasury grin.

You just couldn't resist injecting some sarcasm into your remark-the bane of Nairaland contributions.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by DJperdurabo: 11:39am On Apr 25, 2020
sapientia:
So soludo said we shouldn't have locked down.

We should have allowed people to be spreading it abi.

Imagine no lockdown and no testing.

He should get realistic abeg. Kia

You are one of the few who read and understand.

It was the only and best they could do then.

Charles should stop ranting, he has been part of and is still part of government.

He is one of the people be should be talking to.

Did you really "understand" what the Professor was talking about?

Are you sure you really understand?
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by DJperdurabo: 11:41am On Apr 25, 2020
Someone7:
The so called measures for preventing the spread are inherently discriminatory. How can the poor wash their hands when more than half don't have access to safe sources of water? How can they stay at home when most make less than 2 dollars a day and they have to work everyday to make a living? How can they practice social distancing when most urban settlements are overcrowded and lack personal hygiene and sanitation facilities (which they share)?
People need to start asking serous questions

They've been asked. But those who are supposed to answer are playing dead!
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by DJperdurabo: 11:48am On Apr 25, 2020
Coronavirus1:
I am 100% sure that nobody read this full economic text book of soludo too long give few guidelines is fine .But more grace to your elbow.

Please speak for yourself, no need lumping others with you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pulling Out Parade For Former Chief Of Army Staff Lt Gen Farouk Yahaya / Deji Adeyanju Cursed By Pantami's Verified Facebook Handle (Photo) / President Buhari Arrives Kaduna For NDA Passing Out Parade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.