Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,029 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo (37667 Views)

Charles Soludo Wins APGA governorship Primaries / Buhari Appointment Of Charles Soludo Makes Me Believe He Means Well For Nigeria / Buhari Constitutes Economic Team: Charles Soludo, Others Get New Appointments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by babyfaceafrica: 11:08am On Apr 24, 2020
pesty100:
what should we be doing? Or should we copy Ghana?

We should do what is necessary with everyone in mind.. Lockdown more than a month does not put all Nigerians in mind
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 24, 2020
Same thing. We will still bury millions of people either way. With lockdown, we have the economy in so much shambles that even the living will have nothing to live for. With the economy open, those that are alive have a chance of a better life. Those are the only two alternatives.

pesty100:
expect you are ready to bury millions of people (that if you are still alive yourself) you should stop advocating against lockdown. When thousands of people start to die on a daily basis in Nigeria i would hope you would be well fed

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by pesty100(m): 11:13am On Apr 24, 2020
babyfaceafrica:

We should do what is necessary with everyone in mind.. Lockdown more than a month does not put all Nigerians in mind
i don't know the duration of time we need to be on lock down but allowing free movement when we don't have any contingency plan for rapid increase in coronavirus cases in this country is a very bad idea
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by babyfaceafrica: 11:16am On Apr 24, 2020
pesty100:
i don't know the duration of time we need to be on lock down but allowing free movement when we don't have any contingency plan for rapid increase in coronavirus cases in this country is a very bad idea

we don't have any contingency plan for rapid increase in coronavirus cases in this country is a very bad idea

Why don't we have a contingency plan after about a month of lockdown...?.. Is that how working nations behave?.... Shouldn't we prepare for life after lockdown.... What is the economy team headed by the VP doing for a month?.. Isolating àbí... Issorite.. When heaven falls, it falls on us all

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by oyekanwahab(m): 11:23am On Apr 24, 2020
sapientia:
So soludo said we shouldn't have locked down.

We should have allowed people to be spreading it abi.

Imagine no lockdown and no testing.

He should get realistic abeg.

Am 200% sure you didn't read all the write up,

please read it from the beginning to the end before giving your comment

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Reference(m): 11:26am On Apr 24, 2020
Just speaking my mind.... everything I have thought and said about this matter.

This is what our so called National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies should be conjuring. This is what our so called National Assembly should be debating. This is what our so called citizens should be demanding...a cerebral approach to solutions that stimulates deep thinking.

These are the seeds from which the exit strategy I have consistently demanded for arise from. These are the kind of people I just wish were in decision making positions.

Anyway however this matter will end, I sincerely hope Nigerians learn a long lasting lesson on how to engage the right people to build the kind of country they so desire to live in.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kolasoft: 11:26am On Apr 24, 2020
God bless u sir a very commendable write up
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by sapientia(m): 11:27am On Apr 24, 2020
oyekanwahab:

Am 200% sure you didn't read all the write up,

please read it from the beginning to the end before giving your comment

Don't use your sense.

Be quoting me you hear.

Anyone against current measures for Africa is a clown.

Who told them Africa can do all these their sweet talks.

Bogus plans that no one ever prepared for.

Charles should go and sit down.

Na dem dem.

2 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by oyekanwahab(m): 11:29am On Apr 24, 2020
Everything has time and duration, the Lock down was absolutely necessary at that time, or else we won't be saying all this we are saying

now that it counter productive, let government go back to the drawing board and see a way forward
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by ObaOmo2023: 11:30am On Apr 24, 2020
Prof. Soludo is part of Buhari advisory committee. If there is any way to get this message across to the president, it will help. Considering the present status of the president in ECOWAS, he can use the influence to get through to AU. Africa just need to unite for a common strategy that will open us for new opportunity now. Africa should wake up. Money spent on stimulus packages alone in United is more than the entire budget of Africa in 2 years. We cannot adopt the same model with westerns, we need an afrocentric approach to this scunge.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:30am On Apr 24, 2020
Dude. They should not worry. They are not aware that historically, our leaders will never ever do anything that benefits the masses only themselves. The only reason why they can do this is because oil drilling is not affected. Therefore, their source or revenue is still on. If the lockdown included stoppage of drilling, they would have reopened long ago. How do you think that politicians care about you when all their actions since independence have been killing us.

They can lockdown the country for one year if they so choose. By then nairaland.com will not be existing cuz there will no forex to pay for hosting services. Internet will be way too expensive for many to afford. And there will be massive deaths tied to malnutrition or food poisoning. That will likely wipe out half of the population.

Even the so called drugs the country will not be able to afford.

This is akin to not driving or flying for fear of road accidents or plane crash.

babyfaceafrica:

we don't have any contingency plan for rapid increase in coronavirus cases in this country is a very bad idea

Why don't we have a contingency plan after about a month of lockdown...?.. Is that how working nations behave?.... Shouldn't we prepare for life after lockdown.... What is the economy team headed by the VP doing for a month?.. Isolating àbí... Issorite.. When heaven falls, it falls on us all
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by joyandfaith: 11:31am On Apr 24, 2020
solmus:

sure atleast before being available on shelves at the pharmacy after clinical trial, but then they aint doing nothing as per research

i agree with you.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:37am On Apr 24, 2020
Nigerians lack the capacity for deep , strategic thought driven process approach to solving problems.

Giving orders to lockdown a state and keeping security forces on the roads is something any copy and paste person will do.

Gathering a lot of data and expert advice and also including all the major stakeholders to weigh the pros and cons of a particular solution before deciding the best approach that does not unduly put the economy under unsustainable duress nor endanger much of the population, is a difficult approach and alien to the so called political class. We should advocate no politician will receive salaries due to the lockdown as is happening to the private sector and see how fast they reopen.

The lockdown is not affecting. That is why we are still here.

Reference:
Just speaking my mind.... everything I have thought and said about this matter.

This is what our so called National Institute of Policy and Strategic Studies should be conjuring. This is what our so called National Assembly should be debating. This is what our so called citizens shoukd bd demanding...a cerebral approach to solutions that stimulates deep thinking.

These are the seeds from which the exit strategy I have consistently demanded for arise from. These are the kind of people I just wish were in decision making positions.

Anyway however this matter will end, I sincerely hope Nigerians learn a long lasting lesson on how to engage the right people to build the kind of country they so desire to live in.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Tango123: 11:39am On Apr 24, 2020
Matrimonous:
Tango123 I hope you didn't miss this thread. cheesy grin

Oga matrimonous, I haven't read it.

But I said previously lockdown for its own sake is bad. Lockdown is only to buy time to get ready.

The problem we have is that our leaders are thieves. Instead of using the lockdown to put things in place, they are still using it as opportunity to steal our money
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by semid4lyfe(m): 11:39am On Apr 24, 2020
Luckily for us, most covid-19 cases in Nigeria are mild to moderate with most infected people being asymptomatic throughout so the prognosis for recovery is good.

The population demograpy favours us too. 90.87% of our population is from age 1 - 49 years. 50 - 59 years: 4.50%, 60 - 69years: 2.56%, above 70years: 2.45%. Our median age is 17.9.

The latent resistance we've built to diseases like malaria, typhoid etc over the years seems to have built our immunity and helping most infected people to beat the disease.

Data from some studies show countries with a BCG vaccination program have far fewer cases, milder cases and lower rates of transmission of covid-19 than those who don't.

Also, some studies link higher temperatures to reduced spread of the virus.

All these bode well for us.

Bonny light is currently at $17/barrel and our vessels are roaming the high seas offering incentives and discounted prices yet there are no buyers.

Due to the pandemic, government has lost so much revenue and our economy is predicted to go into recession post covid-19.

Our economy is mostly informal with most people irking a living from their daily hustle.

FG and states cannot provide palliatives to sustain the lockdown/stay at home, not to even talk about stimulus to businesses undecided

Then who are we deceiving?

We cannot be on lockdown and stay home indefinitely.

We have one of the lowest covid-19 testing rate/million in the world and at our present rate of testing, the curve will not be flattened anytime soon. This means the virus will be with us for a long time.

We have to adopt a Covid-19 strategy tailored to our unique circumstances and find a way to live with the virus without stiffling economic activities.

12 Likes 7 Shares

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Adeyemi0(m): 11:42am On Apr 24, 2020
Offpoint:
Didn't read it, but they say "it's nice piece" so I concur until summarize version is out.
Hello bro.. Please I've been trying to reach you sometimes ago. It seems you're offline. Please i would like to discuss something with you.

kindly acknowledge this so that I can remove my contact. Thanks
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by emeone: 11:42am On Apr 24, 2020
Nice article, like the statistics on Bank deposit,( for our bubu talking of 5k balance).
But my fear is it's not feasible, to implement,. Africa and naija inclusive is sold out.
God save us � from hunger virus. Keep praying �.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 11:44am On Apr 24, 2020
Seun:
This was the most important paragraph for me, where he proffered the solution:

We have been saying this for some time and it’s nice that more experts are saying it now. But we also need testing, which we can afford if people are working, making money, and paying their taxes instead of sitting at home and relying on government provided “palliatives”

For big masquerade like Seun to comot from hiding come put mouth for the matter, you go know say Soludo make plenty sense.

This guy is exceedingly brilliant, and he proved it when he was CBN governor by consolidating our financial system and stimulating the sort of growth we have never witnessed since then. Too bad he has been allowed to waste away, while charlatans and mediocres like Kemi Adeosun and the numerous successive abokki dunderheads were placed at the centre to pilot our comatose economy under Buhari's clueless government.

3 Likes

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by oyekanwahab(m): 11:44am On Apr 24, 2020
sapientia:
So soludo said we shouldn't have locked down.

We should have allowed people to be spreading it abi.

Imagine no lockdown and no testing.

He should get realistic abeg.

You are one of the few who read and understand.

It was the only and best they could do then.

Charles should stop ranting, he has been part of and is still part of government.

He is one of the people be should be talking to.

Let me tell you something, this is something that affects me and you

Soludo as you see am, till time memorial he can never lack anything, this family can never be hunger in this country, so stop the hating on him been part of the government

He has done is little part with this write up

What part have you played in this period, please ask yourself that question

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by sapientia(m): 11:47am On Apr 24, 2020
oyekanwahab:

Let me tell you something, this is something that affects me and you

Soludo as you see am, till time memorial he can never lack anything, this family can never be hunger in this country, so stop the hating on him been part of the government

He has done is little part with this write up

What part have you played in this period, please ask yourself that question

And who told you me and my family are lacking from time memorial or will ever lack? Or are you my relation?

How is saying the truth hating someone I really don't care about who is never even in the news?

His write up is his contribution. Splendid.

You get too much sense jare.

You win OK.

1 Like

Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by oyekanwahab(m): 11:48am On Apr 24, 2020
semid4lyfe:
Luckily for us, most covid-19 cases in nigeria are mild to moderate with most infected people being asymptomatic throughout so the prognosis for recovery is good.

The population demograpy favours us too. 90.87% of our population is from age 1 - 49 years. 50 - 59 years: 4.50%, 60 - 69years: 2.56%, above 70years: 2.45%. Our median age is 17.9.

The latent resistance we've built to diseases like malaria, typhoid etc over the years seems to have built our immunity and helping most infected people to beat the disease.

Data from some studies show countries with a BCG vaccination program have far fewer cases, milder cases and lower rates of transmission of covid-19 than those who don't.

Also, some studies link higher temperatures to reduced spread of the virus.

All these bode well for us.

Bony light is currently at $17 and our vessels are roaming the high seas offering incentives and discounted prices yet there are no buyers.

Due to the pandemic, government has lost so much revenue and our economy is predicicted to go into recession post covid-19.

Our economy is mostly informal with most people irking a living from their daily hustle.

FG and states cannot provide palliatives to sustain the lockdown/stay at home.

Then who are we deceiving? We cannot be on lockdown and stay home indefinitely.

We have one of the lowest covid-19 testing rate/million in the world and at our present rate of testing covid-19 will be with us for a long time.

We have to adopt a Covid-19 strategy tailored to our unique circumstances and find a way to live with the virus without stiffling economic activities.

Honestly well said, let see what will be decided by the government on Tuesday
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Offpoint: 11:49am On Apr 24, 2020
Adeyemi0:

Hello bro.. Please I've been trying to reach you sometimes ago. It seems you're offline. Please i would like to discuss something with you.

kindly acknowledge this so that I can remove my contact. Thanks
Sorry bro, my phone and PC was stolen for over a month and few days now.

Just getting back online today. I can't retrieve my WhatsApp line due to the lock down....

I'm currently using someone line for calls.

take your number down I'll call you
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by mu2sa2: 11:54am On Apr 24, 2020
SamuelAnyawu:
Nice writeup Soludo.

Although a very brilliant Economist who messed up CBN staff welfare and looted CBN treasury grin.

And moved about with sirens and intimidating convoys, savouring it all like an absolute tyrant.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Adeyemi0(m): 11:58am On Apr 24, 2020
Offpoint:

Sorry bro, my phone and PC was stolen for over a month and few days now.

Just getting back online today. I can't retrieve my WhatsApp line due to the lock down....

I'm currently using someone line for calls.

take your number down I'll call you
I'm sorry to hear that. It actually seem usually and I suspect something happened.
May God replace it in multitude.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Offpoint: 12:02pm On Apr 24, 2020
Adeyemi0:

I'm sorry to hear that. It actually seem usually and I suspect something happened.
May God replace it in multitude.
Amen, thanks.

Call me via this number

Let me know when you get the number let me take it down.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Adeyemi0(m): 12:17pm On Apr 24, 2020
Offpoint:

Amen, thanks.

Call me via this number

Let me know when you get the number let me take it down.
Got it.
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by kosiemma(m): 12:18pm On Apr 24, 2020
This paragraph got me in this write up

Every African society has some local herbs that, to use President Trump’s phrase, “might help”. While the UK and others are experimenting with vaccines, you never know if an Africa herb might be the cure. Necessity is the mother of invention, and only those who dare, succeed!

Why can’t we Africans start our own trial with our herbs it might help

Tribalism has eaten deep in the heart of Africans
This are people that are supposed to be in our Government not empty brains
Re: COVID-19: Can Africa Afford Lockdowns? - Charles Soludo by Nobody: 12:23pm On Apr 24, 2020
I've not even finished it but I'm already saying "absolutely amazing in depth analysis".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DSS Denies Arresting EFCC Boss, Ibrahim Magu / Buhari Copied Jonathan’s Budget – Soludo / Okonjo-Iweala And Ikemba Celebrate 37th Wedding Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.