Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:39 PM

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 (1096175 Views)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 6 / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (721) (Go Down)

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Donracy: 5:23pm On May 24, 2020
dayusin:
How log did it take to get an offer from salford ?

It took approximately two weeks. Though I applied and got the admission since November last year.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Donracy: 5:24pm On May 24, 2020
toyclicks:
Pls do you have any update from Salford as regards Covid-19?

Nothing so interesting other than keeping hope alive and the benefits of studying at Salford.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Donracy: 5:25pm On May 24, 2020
Please I need answers from the gurus here.

Donracy:
Hello Landers, I must say that this group is really doing a great job.
Please a quick one.
For those that knows much about Cardiff in Wales. What can you say about the city in terms of the people, job prospects as a student, living expenses compared to other places in the UK ��. .

I got an offer to study Safety, Health and Environment at Salford in Manchester and also Occupational Health, Safety and Wellbeing at Cardiff Metropolitan University.

I am okay with the two Universities. I am only trying to compare the survival rate as a prospective student.

Though I've made some researches online but first hand information is golden.

Thank you as I wait for your feedback.
Thank you all.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 5:36pm On May 24, 2020
The link was last modified in 2017, I think the rules have changed and council will tell you otherwise.

Students with dependants don't get full exemption but only get a discount

illusory:

Una well done o. I have hardly contributed (due to hustle) but this forum helped me a lot in the past so rectifying that from now.

On the council tax issue, speaking from my own experience, even if the spouse has permission to work and is working, the full exemption still applies for students and dependents. It applies to spouses of international students as well. Some people are not aware of this so if you are sent a council tax letter without the full exemption, you simply go to your council office and tell them you are a full time international student and your spouse has ‘no recourse to public funds’. This has even been clarified in court. See... https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/fees-and-money/council-tax#layer-3867 and https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/fees-and-money/council-tax#layer-3867 for what constitutes student for council tax purposes.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by dduchess90(f): 6:12pm On May 24, 2020
Thanks for this.. To sum it up the main point is who's name is on the rent agreement? What is the status? Full time student? You are exempted from paying council tax with or without dependants. The council tax exemption covers start date and end date of your course only, any other extra month might need you to start paying but until then you are exempted

illusory:

Una well done o. I have hardly contributed (due to hustle) but this forum helped me a lot in the past so rectifying that from now.

On the council tax issue, speaking from my own experience, even if the spouse has permission to work and is working, the full exemption still applies for students and dependents. It applies to spouses of international students as well. Some people are not aware of this so if you are sent a council tax letter without the full exemption, you simply go to your council office and tell them you are a full time international student and your spouse has ‘no recourse to public funds’. This has even been clarified in court. See... https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/fees-and-money/council-tax#layer-3867 and https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/information--advice/fees-and-money/council-tax#layer-3867 for what constitutes student for council tax purposes.

1 Like

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by justwise(m): 6:18pm On May 24, 2020
Phenmeson:

I mean aku odun ooo. Is Sunday and Eid.
In summary, is just a discussion where I listed bills of a student who wished to rent a Studio flat with the spouse (I said he/she need to b aware of additional bills lyk water, energy, council tax e.t.c. The beautiful Olori said students are exempted from council Tax and I asked if it applies for both Full and part time. Was just pointing out that students and dependent only get council tax exemption if the dependent is not granted permit to work or not working.

That was not my question, you said International students can study part time?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by duchess90(f): 6:51pm On May 24, 2020
I just tire.. what could be the justification to study part time?what will the student be doing with their time?

It is very rare..for internationals

quote author=justwise post=89917550]

That was not my question, you said International students can study part time?[/quote]
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by illusory: 6:54pm On May 24, 2020
Bourne007:
The link was last modified in 2017, I think the rules have changed and council will tell you otherwise.

Sorry bros, don't mean to drag. I am here with wife and children on tier 4 visa and have not paid a penny in council tax. Wife has been working full time since we've been here and rules haven't changed. My last council tax letter was earlier this year with full exemption. Which is why I also said based on my experience. I put the link for further clarification and so someone will not say I'm just talking based on my experience...

9 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by duchess90(f): 6:56pm On May 24, 2020
Smiling to @beautiful olori

[author=Phenmeson post=89911678]

I mean aku odun ooo. Is Sunday and Eid.
In summary, is just a discussion where I listed bills of a student who wished to rent a Studio flat with the spouse (I said he/she need to b aware of additional bills lyk water, energy, council tax e.t.c. The beautiful Olori said students are exempted from council Tax and I asked if it applies for both Full and part time. Was just pointing out that students and dependent only get council tax exemption if the dependent is not granted permit to work or not working. [/quote]
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Tolextonia: 7:00pm On May 24, 2020
gsk4reality:
Hello everyone,
Has anyone tried to apply to Sheffield Hallam University of late. Been trying to apply for masters program since yst but the page is not displaying.
Did anyone else experienced this?

I did. I observed that if one use google the page wouldn’t display. So I used Microsoft edge and the page showed which I use to apply. So try other browser aside google chrome
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 7:01pm On May 24, 2020
Is it just your name only on the bill?

illusory:

Sorry bros, don't mean to drag. I am here with wife and children on tier 4 visa and have not paid a penny in council tax. Wife has been working full time since we've been here and rules haven't changed. My last council tax letter was earlier this year with full exemption. Which is why I also said based on my experience. I put the link for further clarification and so someone will not say I'm just talking based on my experience...
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Tobexin(m): 7:02pm On May 24, 2020
Bourne007:

and you think the British are as dumb as Nigerians that won’t update an updated law on a very crucial information website for the public.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by illusory: 7:04pm On May 24, 2020
Bourne007:
Is it just your name only on the bill?

Both our names actually...
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 7:10pm On May 24, 2020
Really. For some reason, I didn't get exempted from my council in 2018. They insisted I pay the discount

illusory:

Both our names actually...
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by illusory: 7:20pm On May 24, 2020
Bourne007:
Really. For some reason, I didn't get exempted from my council in 2018. They insisted I pay the discount

Sorry man, that's why I said not everyone knows. In the first council I lived in, I had to go back to the council office after the initial bill, show them the rules and they got someone from the back office who was obviously more experienced.

But that was cos I went to look for cheap house in the council next to the one the school is located in. The council where the uni is has a ready made form you just complete and they handle everything no wahala....
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Bourne007(m): 7:42pm On May 24, 2020
I was aware of the link you provided but they didn't buy it. It was based on https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students

Seems some councils apply it while some exempt. Not sure though

Lucky you though wink

"You’ll get a Council Tax bill if there’s someone in your household who’s not a full-time student, but your household might still qualify for a discount."

illusory:

Sorry man, that's why I said not everyone knows. In the first council I lived in, I had to go back to the council office after the initial bill, show them the rules and they got someone from the back office who was obviously more experienced.

But that was cos I went to look for cheap house in the council next to the one the school is located in. The council where the uni is has a ready made form you just complete and they handle everything no wahala....
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Phenmeson(m): 8:04pm On May 24, 2020
Thanks for all our contributions on students doing part time or students and spouses paying or not paying for council tax. We all are correct and no point dragging it further. https://www.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-for-full-time-students
Govt policy varies.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by bayosegun(m): 8:08pm On May 24, 2020
@illisory, kindly response to my mail. Thanks
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by toyclicks: 8:33pm On May 24, 2020
Lol!
they've been quiet.
I guess I will chat them tomorrow

Donracy:

Nothing so interesting other than keeping hope alive and the benefits of studying at Salford.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by illusory: 8:33pm On May 24, 2020
bayosegun:
@illisory, kindly response to my mail. Thanks

Done...
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by quille11: 8:36pm On May 24, 2020
STENON:
I still don't know why people are going for MSc in Public health. If you have passion for health discipline, Go for nursing please. Many people that finished the course don't fit in to any job , except doing care assistant at care homes undecided

Thanks for the advice. It is highly noted and appreciated.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Mindlog: 9:00pm On May 24, 2020
STENON:
I still don't know why people are going for MSc in Public health. If you have passion for health discipline, Go for nursing please. Many people that finished the course don't fit in to any job , except doing care assistant at care homes undecided

Or join us in psychology, if interested in mental health though there is mental health nursing. grin
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Ikjosh04: 10:04pm On May 24, 2020
Hi everyone, Good Evening.
I'm a fresh chemical engineering graduate and I'm exploring my options. I've decided to go for my masters in uk or Ireland cause it's relatively cheaper compared to other countries I've in mind. I'm looking at going for a masters program in Biomedical engineering or biopharmceutical/pharmaceutical engineering or Biochemical Engineering in but I'll like to have a full knowledge of the labour market over there. Should I go ahead and pursue my masters in Biomedical Engineering or i should look at other career paths like Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Automation Engineering, Project Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and co. My B. Eng Chemical Engineering has a wide career path. So my question which career path is better and do you know will thrive and is well sought after in Uk/Ireland?
Also is there any university that will offer me partial scholarship and is it possible for me to work and earn the money I'll use for my living expenses?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by pitman10: 10:23pm On May 24, 2020
Mindlog:

Or join us in psychology, if interested in mental health though there is mental health nursing. grin

What are the job prospects in psychology over there in the UK?
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by duchess90(f): 11:06pm On May 24, 2020
Go through previous threads,it will help, in addition to google.Try to narrow it down abit to specific questions then someone can give you more insights hopefully.

Ikjosh04:
I'm a fresh chemical engineering graduate and I'm exploring my options. I've decided to go for my masters in uk or Ireland cause it's relatively cheaper compared to other countries I've in mind. I'm looking at going for a masters program in Biomedical engineering or biopharmceutical/pharmaceutical engineering or Biochemical Engineering in but I'll like to have a full knowledge of the labour market over there. Should I go ahead and pursue my masters in Biomedical Engineering or i should look at other career paths like Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Process Automation Engineering, Project Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and co. My B. Eng Chemical Engineering has a wide career path. So my question which career path is better and do you know will thrive and is well sought after in Uk/Ireland?
Also is there any university that will offer me partial scholarship and is it possible for me to work and earn the money I'll use for my living expenses?

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Skymoore1004: 11:52pm On May 24, 2020
Oga which one you dey sef? I doubt anyone here can start laying out the advantages and disadvantages of the long list below.

The main question is, which one can you do? Which one do you think you’re most interested in? This one that you’re a fresh graduate with probably poor idea of what you actually what to do in future, I will say take your time to analyse each of the modules in these various courses. That way you can narrow down which ones you think you can excel best in. You should check your strength and weaknesses too, while narrowing down. There’s no engineering programme that’s not marketable, if you excel well and know exactly what you’re doing.

Number 2: getting a scholarship mostly depends on your BSc CGPA, essay (if required), strong IELTS score (if applicable), good level of work experience (if applicable) etc. It’s rare to get 100% scholarship from U.K. universities, because they need your money las las. Partial scholarship is available but it’s not granted automatically (except for alumnus of certain universities offering automatic 50% off). Usually, you have to apply for it and pray to your Chi.

Number 3: Yes ooo, for the 100th time my brother yes. You can work 20 hours a week and full time during the holidays. If you check few pages before, someone broke it down better. Living expenses can be sustained with part time work depending on the city or area of residence.

All The Best
Ikjosh04:

2 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Ikjosh04: 12:59am On May 25, 2020
Ok, thank you.
Skymoore1004:
Oga which one you dey sef? I doubt anyone here can start laying out the advantages and disadvantages of the long list below.

The main question is, which one can you do? Which one do you think you’re most interested in? This one that you’re a fresh graduate with probably poor idea of what you actually what to do in future, I will say take your time to analyse each of the modules in these various courses. That way you can narrow down which ones you think you can excel best in. You should check your strength and weaknesses too, while narrowing down. There’s no engineering programme that’s not marketable, if you excel well and know exactly what you’re doing.

Number 2: getting a scholarship mostly depends on your BSc CGPA, essay (if required), strong IELTS score (if applicable), good level of work experience (if applicable) etc. It’s rare to get 100% scholarship from U.K. universities, because they need your money las las. Partial scholarship is available but it’s not granted automatically (except for alumnus of certain universities offering automatic 50% off). Usually, you have to apply for it and pray to your Chi.

Number 3: Yes ooo, for the 100th time my brother yes. You can work 20 hours a week and full time during the holidays. If you check few pages before, someone broke it down better. Living expenses can be sustained with part time work depending on the city or area of residence.

All The Best

duchess90:
Go through previous threads,it will help, in addition to google.Try to narrow it down abit to specific questions then someone can give you more insights hopefully.

Noted, thank you.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Oloshi83: 9:26am On May 25, 2020
Hello,

I’d suggest Chemical or Process Engineering as the opportunities on offer with that background is varied (oil and gas is the most popular but there’s food and chemical/petrochemical processing which is commonly overlooked etc).

Bear in mind that for some of them you may need to leave the UK after you get some experience (for better money) but there are lots of opportunities sha.

Biomedical and the like is a bit restrictive in my view.

Yes, you can work 20 hours a week as others have said but it’s advisable that you have most if not all of your tuition fees so you’re only working to cover your living expenses.

Ikjosh04:

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Ikjosh04: 11:14am On May 25, 2020
Oloshi83:
Hello,

I’d suggest Chemical or Process Engineering as the opportunities on offer with that background is varied (oil and gas is the most popular but there’s food and chemical/petrochemical processing which is commonly overlooked etc).

Bear in mind that for some of them you may need to leave the UK after you get some experience (for better money) but there are lots of opportunities sha.

Biomedical and the like is a bit restrictive in my view.

Yes, you can work 20 hours a week as others have said but it’s advisable that you have most if not all of your tuition fees so you’re only working to cover your living expenses.

Thank you, this is the type of advice i seek.
Chemical Engineering is a specialized course that's the jack of all trade and master of none. For my graduate study i want to build my career and specialize in an aspect of Chemical Engineering that's why I'm seeking for advice of people that knows and understand the job market of Uk/Ireland.
I've passion and I can excel in any aspect of Chemical Engineering but we all know the job space has changed and is changing so i want to specialize in something that will make me well sought after in the job market of Uk and Ireland as an immigrant bearing in mind the competition out there and visa hurdle of getting a work visa after the 2yrs post study visa.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Oloshi83: 11:35am On May 25, 2020
With no experience, it is difficult to specialise. You don’t know what industry you’re going to end up in so it’s pointless specialising. Just position yourself well in a way that you can ‘grab’ opportunities in these sectors and then when you start you can focus on specialising. You need to remember that you’re doing a masters now as a way to emigrate. Or at least, that is very likely the case. If you were a graduate in the UK already, my advise would have been to apply for graduate jobs first and do a masters later (when you have a much better idea of what path you’re following).

With five years experience or more, you may be more interested in Engineering Management or even an MBA. You can start in a proper engineering role and decide later you want to go into IT or go down the project management route. Basically, it is very difficult to say/decide at the stage you’re at now and even if you spend the rest of the year planning, things would likely pan out differently.

Ikjosh04:

Thank you, this is the type of advice i seek.
Chemical Engineering is a specialized course that's the jack of all trade and master of none. For my graduate study i want to build my career and specialize in an aspect of Chemical Engineering that's why I'm seeking for advice of people that knows and understand the job market of Uk/Ireland.
I've passion and I can excel in any aspect of Chemical Engineering but we all know the job space has changed and is changing so i want to specialize in something that will make me well sought after in the job market of Uk and Ireland as an immigrant bearing in mind the competition out there and visa hurdle of getting a work visa after the 2yrs post study visa.

3 Likes

Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Sumji: 12:49pm On May 25, 2020
Oh congrats. Same here for September intake. I intend to leave all processes till July. Hopefully the embassy would have resumed by then, and it would be clear if resumption would be online or in person.

adeniyy01:

I got an offer to Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship for September intake.. am leaving all process to June.
Re: Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 4 by Nobody: 7:32pm On May 25, 2020
Guys.

Some schools said there might be campus teaching throughout in September. While some schools said teaching will be online only from September to January.
Some schools have declared all their teaching from September to September next year will be online.

Wait for government advise which will be out on or before July before any decision is taken. There have been no clarification on Tier 4 visa as UKVI office have been closed since March. There are pending visa applications from all types of UK Visa that is on hold. Those will be priority. No talks on their resumption.

Without UKVI opening, no one can get UK visa. So I advise no one should begin any course online at home and pay tuition fee. Once you agree to start your course online, there will no refund if you do not get Tier 4 visa. Moreover, the government have not even given clear pathway of PSW visa. No specific instructions on how to apply when summer 2021 comes.

So wait till July till you make any decision. Dont be lured to start any program online without obtaining Tier 4 visa. Once you start, there is no going back even if you are in Nigeria. Ensure you have Tier 4 visa if teaching is online so you will be eligible for PSW visa. If you dont get visa, you will be liable to pay all your school fees if your teaching is online.

11 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (721)

General-german-student-visa-enquiries Part 8 / Travelling To Canada Part 7 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.