Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,104 members, 7,852,741 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 03:52 AM

Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older (1740 Views)

Why Are Nigerian Men Crazy About Big Butts? / Why Do Nigerian Men Think All Foreign Women Are Crazy About Them / Why Are South African Women Crazy About Naija Guys? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 10:50am On Jan 08, 2011
Dear Nairalanders,

Happy New Year. I have been reading posts from all of you but now I have to register cos now I need advice.

Sorry I had to modify all my posts on this thread for the protection of identities:

I am Kevin, a 25 year old Naija guy in love with Hilda, 37. I met her online 7 weeks ago on a theology group (not dating site) and we found out our ages as we introduced one another. She lives in the UK, I live and work in Nigeria. We are deeply in love with each other by now and we communicate very frequently.

Question is can I marry her? What do you think?

Hilda knows about Nairaland too, so we decided to ask about this here. In particular, we seek Chaircover and Siena's advice but others should please advice us too. In a multitude of counsel there is wisdom.

Kevin Kabi
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by ULSHERLAN(m): 10:58am On Jan 08, 2011
Seriously speakn left to me i see nothin dating an older lady so far dere is lovee and we both av flns for each oda but d probs is dat d community we live in wont approve of it, though in ur case d age gap is really much but i fnk pple shud learn how to undastd pples flns,
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Dulcet7(m): 11:13am On Jan 08, 2011
This is a really touching narration, Kevin. As Usherlan said already, the community is the main issue. If you were both outside Nigeria it might have been easier. . . As it is, this is a tough one.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Plutarch: 11:56am On Jan 08, 2011
@op,
Firstly i enjoyed reading ur post n felt tempted to feel 4 u two but no or not now.
Eventhough i v nothing against dating older ladies however i think what u v 4 each is emotions wh is not likely to last n i will advise u give urself sometime;am sorry 4 trying 2 get u disillusioned. Research,peer review n personal xperience v proven that emotions grow very fast in a short while when u engage an opposite sex in communication thru media like emails,sms,chatting etc.
Will advise u both to b calm n take ur time. What am saying is that it may not b love.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Vicjustice: 12:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
Interesting, but you asked for it, not so?
Find your genuine match for 100% free at www.bebeye.com
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by queensmith: 12:13pm On Jan 08, 2011
Age aint nothing but a number-er-er-er!lol

you shouldnt really care about what other people think, what matters is you and what makes you happy. Since they wont always be around to live you life! tell them to mind thier own business!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by MrsEve2(f): 12:36pm On Jan 08, 2011
If you are not so concern with having children then what you waiting for? You like her and she like you so what you asking us for? Do you want us to join into a party or something?
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by slap1(m): 12:42pm On Jan 08, 2011
If you luv her, go on. But IMO, 12 years older is quite alarming. Goodluck!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Ikedonn(m): 1:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
smiley
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by ekubear1: 2:09pm On Jan 08, 2011
You have to think about what life will be like when you are 40 and she is 52, though. Or you 50 and she 62. Right now while she is still young, it might seem OK to you. But once age hits a woman, it hits her hard undecided (no offense intended to anybody here, just keeping it real.)

In the short terms things wouldn't be bad. She can even have kids up until age 40 (though the risk @ 37, 38 is way higher than having kids at 22 or 25.)

But I'm just worried about how things will work out in the long term.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Nobody: 2:17pm On Jan 08, 2011
child abuse
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 08, 2011
Hmmmm. Honestly I say do as you please because you are an adult. The only I am saying is that most men do not mature before they are well into their thirties and most women in the thirties already have an idea what they want in life so do not be surprised if the relationship seems more like mother and son, if you are not on her level mentally or financially.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by queensmith: 3:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

You have to think about what life will be like when you are 40 and she is 52, though. Or you 50 and she 62. Right now while she is still young, it might seem OK to you. But once age hits a woman, it hits her hard undecided (no offense intended to anybody here, just keeping it real.)

be more specific, how exactly will age hitting hard affect their relationship? what will be the difference between it hitting hard when hes 40 or hitting hard when he's 52? Im just curious because I know people approach things they dont understand without thinking deeply about it so im wondering if you have? specify exactly how the age difference will affect either of them?

eku_bear:

In the short terms things wouldn't be bad. She can even have kids up until age 40 (though the risk @ 37, 38 is way higher than having kids at 22 or 25.)

Well like you said, she can still have children, women have children well into old age its not unheard of and even if she doesnt they can always adopt, you can still marry a 22 or 25 year old and not be able to have children? is it not so?

MzD@rkSkin:

The only I am saying is that most men do not mature before they are well into their thirties and most women in the thirties already have an idea what they want in life so do not be surprised if the relationship seems more like mother and son, if you are not on her level mentally or financially.
I wouldnt say most men do not mature, Men mature more slowly than women the same age, so a 25 yo man will still be very mature, just probably not as mature as a 25 yo woman. Regardless they havent been dating for long but the fact they are even dating shows they have the right form to be in a relationship I dont see how a 37yo can be a mother to a 25 yo one bit! She will have more experience and I think that will probably work to the relationships advantage- ive seen soo many times where men actually prefer dating older women!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Abugani: 3:35pm On Jan 08, 2011
I agree with eku_bear. What would it be like when you both grow old,she 62 and you 50. I'm a woman and personally,i dont like the idea of of having a younger guy as a boyfriend talk more of marriage. From what you've said though,you both are kinda head over heels for each other. But lets face it,lets face reailty,they'll be too many compatibility issues,submission issues,you know and without true love and willingness to sacrifice,the whole thing will come crashing down right before your eyes and then it'll be a mess. Don't get me wrong,even with a younger girl,it's not perfect but it's ideal. But in this case its not. Forget age being nothing but a number, thats just a way people like to decieve themselves.you're 25 and she 37, Hw does that look? Its so wide,you're not even peers. Honestly i think that r/ship is like a time bomb that will explode soon enough. Think hard and goodluck.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by tolu001: 3:56pm On Jan 08, 2011
There is nothing wrong in dating an older woman, but u must be very sure of what you are going into especially in the area of compatibility. I will advice you give the relation sometime, study her very well and make sure she's all what u wanted in a woman before u take any major step.

Dont rush things, give yourself sometimes to understand each other very well and make sure it's not just some infatuations.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 4:01pm On Jan 08, 2011
Ulsherlan and Dulcet thank you. That is the main issue: the society we live in.  sad

Plutarch, hmmm so we should take some time apart? Thanks for the advice.

Queensmith. Thanks but you know marriage is not an isolated life. Its a family and socio-cultural affair as well as it is interpersonal to husband and wife. We cant cut them all off, it will create instability over time sad

Mrs Eve. I never said anything about not being concerned with having children, Mrs Eve. I am asking because these are fellow Nigerians who will understand my case. Probably you are not a Nigerian. Thanks.

Slap1. sigh. You are right. I know 12 years is a lot! sad
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by MrsEve2(f): 4:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
kkabi:

Ulsherlan and Dulcet thank you. That is the main issue: the society we live in.  sad

Hmmm so we should take some time apart? Thanks for the advice Plutarch.

Thanks but you know marriage is not an isolated life. Its a family and socio-cultural affair as well as it is interpersonal to husband and wife. We cant cut them all off, it will create instability over time sad

I never said anything about not being concerned with having children, Mrs Eve. I am asking because these are fellow Nigerians who will understand my case. Probably you are not a Nigerian. Thanks.

sigh. You are right. I know 12 years is a lot! sad

Please HOOKED ON PHONICS much! I said if you are not CONCERN with having children then what the wait? You right I am not Nigerian. What you felt the quick kick in the nuts? undecided
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by queensmith: 4:05pm On Jan 08, 2011
kkabi:

Thanks but you know marriage is not an isolated life. Its a family and socio-cultural affair as well as it is interpersonal to husband and wife. We cant cut them all off, it will create instability over time sad

thats not true- theres not 1 element of truth in that! marriage is between a man and his wife and the BEST marriages are those between couples that have managed to keep it that way!
the BIGGEST PROBLEM in african marriages are those caused by outsiders
not having family around avoids interference it cant cause instability i dont no where you got that from!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 4:15pm On Jan 08, 2011
eku_bear:

You have to think about what life will be like when you are 40 and she is 52, though. Or you 50 and she 62. Right now while she is still young, it might seem OK to you. But once age hits a woman, it hits her hard  undecided (no offense intended to anybody here, just keeping it real.)

But I'm just worried about how things will work out in the long term.
This is one of the most useful posts to me so far. I have also heard that women age faster than men but I never thought of this now that I need to. Thank you very much eku bear. We will think about this.  smiley

toba:

child abuse
Okay sir.  

MzD@rkSkin:

Hmmmm. Honestly I say do as you please because you are an adult. The only I am saying is that most men do not mature before they are well into their thirties and most women in the thirties already have an idea what they want in life so do not be surprised if the relationship seems more like mother and son, if you are not on her level mentally or financially.
Thanks a lot. One correction though: at the risk of sounding proud, Hilda looks up to me in almost every regard. Somehow in my life I think I matured really very early. The mother/son thing just cannot be. At the worst, if we were not in love this would have been be a big sister/little brother thing.

Abugani:

I agree with eku_bear. What would it be like when you both grow old,she 62 and you 50. I'm a woman and personally,i dont like the idea of of having a younger guy as a boyfriend talk more of marriage. From what you've said though,you both are kinda head over heels for each other. But lets face it,lets face reailty,they'll be too many compatibility issues,submission issues,you know and without true love and willingness to sacrifice,the whole thing will come crashing down right before your eyes and then it'll be a mess. Don't get me wrong,even with a younger girl,it's not perfect but it's ideal. But in this case its not. Forget age being nothing but a number, thats just a way people like to decieve themselves.you're 25 and she 37, Hw does that look? Its so wide,you're not even peers. Honestly i think that r/ship is like a time bomb that will explode soon enough. Think hard and goodluck.
Thank you so much Abugani. I am glad to hear the same thing eku bear said, but from a female perspective. This is also very very useful. We will think about this too. Thanks again.  smiley

tolu001:

There is nothing wrong in dating an older woman, but u must be very sure of what you are going into especially in the area of compatibility. I will advice you give the relation sometime, study her very well and make sure she's all what u wanted in a woman before u take any major step.

Dont rush things, give yourself sometimes to understand each other very well and make sure it's not just some infatuations.
Thanks a lot, tolu001.

You said we should not rush things and I want to thank you for that. The question before us is: should we bother with a relationship that will most probably not culminate in marriage?
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jan 08, 2011
kkabi:

Thanks a lot. One correction though: at the risk of sounding proud, Hilda looks up to me in almost every regard. Somehow in my life I think I matured really very early. The mother/son thing just cannot be. At the worst, if we were not in love this would have been be a big sister/little brother thing.

I can digg that! I understand. well all i can say to that is may God bless you two and I wish you success as a couple!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 4:24pm On Jan 08, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

Please HOOKED ON PHONICS much! I said if you are not CONCERN with having children then what the wait?  You right I am not Nigerian.  What you felt the quick kick in the nuts?  undecided
I'm sorry I guess I misunderstood you. Please don't take offense.

queensmith:

thats not true- theres not 1 element of truth in that! marriage is between a man and his wife and the BEST marriages are those between couples that have managed to keep it that way!
the BIGGEST PROBLEM in african marriages are those caused by outsiders
not having family around avoids interference it cant cause instability i dont no where you got that from!
I understand your sentiments, Ma'am. Personally, I don't intend to let any outsiders interfere from her end or my end. In the initial phase it is better to get things right to start, not in an act of deception but in great wisdom. It is better not to make "enemies" from members of either household. Let everyone think their views are important and when you are fully established as husband and wife, you can roll out your own thing with minimal hassles!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by MrsEve2(f): 4:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
None taken. Next time read.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 4:43pm On Jan 08, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

None taken. Next time read.

Your initial post was ambiguous, Mrs Eve. It could have either meaning

If you are not so concern with having children then what you waiting for?

But it's okay. . .

Take care!
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by MrsEve2(f): 4:55pm On Jan 08, 2011
If it makes you feel better. I will take one for the team.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by harakiri(m): 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
12 years older you say?

It's great and dandy if it's just a fling but can you honestly tell me that you would be ready to settle down with a 37 year old? You're 25 right now so i guess you wont be thinking much of marriage until you're at least 30-35. Imagine how old she would be by then. Imagine being 35 and she's 47. . .can you marry her then? Hmmm?

***[s]all these children from nairaland sef dey tire me[/s]***
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by Omolola1(f): 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2011
@OP, The gap is too much, but then age is jxt a numba
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by deniyor: 5:25pm On Jan 08, 2011
If you didn't think it will go anywhere, why did you put some much effort and emotions into it? It is still mostly long distance now so it will seem perfect till you meet in person and hv a one on one relationship in flesh. Then, what might seem so perfect will not be that anymore.
The lady might seem a bit desperate to hang on to anything ('might' and may not necessarily admit it) including a much younger guy.

At age 25, you should be able to stand your ground and decide who you want to marry. If you decide you can't marry her, you will still meet lots of women that if you gave them the chance, you will feel the same way for.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by deniyor: 5:40pm On Jan 08, 2011
Kevin,
of course you are perfect for her now. I bet 12 yrs ago, she wouldn't hv considered you ( assuming you were 25 and as mature as you are now). You see how life works is, the older and single as you get, you start revising your requirements in a partner. Based on this, her high requirements hv been so reduced that you now fit the bill, which says much about you.
You know something else that says lots about you? The fact you fell in love with a woman (and one with a kid) over the internet and you are asking us if you can marry her after 7 wks. It just shows you are not good with women, and you do not hv many options to pick from. If you did, you will not hv chosen her. I finished that online love nonsense since I was 20( which I still considered quite late). People like you, once any lady tells you they are in love with you, you go gaga cos you do not believe you can get anyother lady or deserve any better. So my fellow brother, dust up your confidence and go find a much younger and less immature chick and mature together.

You will probably not like my tone, or my words either. But admit it to yourself, its true.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by deniyor: 5:50pm On Jan 08, 2011
1. What is your dating history like? empty or being dumped countless times
2. what is hers? why is she still single at 40? I meant the REAL reason she is still single at 40 not the official story
3. As a uni / college graduate, you couldn't find any girl in your entire sch during your years there? Are you that wowo or you just absolutely lack game?
4. Wetin carry you go online to start a 'casual' friendship that developed into a blossoming romance?
5. Have you admitted to her that you really hv a problem with her age? proofs 1. your heart sank 2. you lied to your bro abt it means you are also not comfortable abt it.
6. B4 you met her, what was your requirements in women and how hv they changed since you met her?
7. you want kids?

Answer those questions to yourself. Might point you in the right directions. Feel free to post her of course tongue
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by member67023: 7:43pm On Jan 08, 2011
^^^^ You are right. OP, ask and answer the above questions now, not after the wedding.
There is a difference between pity and love.
Marry out of real love and not out of pity and sympathy.

I guess she is desparate about the marriage.
However, If you really really love (agape, unconditional love) her. Then go ahead and marry her, dont waste time.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by kkabi: 8:01pm On Jan 08, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

If it makes you feel better.  I will take one for the team.
grin You are too kind.

harakiri:

12 years older you say?

It's great and dandy if it's just a fling but can you honestly tell me that you would be ready to settle down with a 37 year old? You're 25 right now so i guess you wont be thinking much of marriage until you're at least 30-35. Imagine how old she would be by then. Imagine being 35 and she's 47. . .can you marry her then? Hmmm?
You are quite right, harakiri. Until Hilda I never planned to settle down till I was 29 or 30. But like with all other things in life, I am trying to adjust. Thank you very much.
harakiri:

***[s]all these children from nairaland sef dey tire me[/s]***
Truly children like myself must grow. That's why I'm asking for advice from you all, hopefully mostly consisting of wiser and elder ones.

Omolola1:

@OP, The gap is too much, but then age is jxt a numba
Thank you very much, Omolola1

deniyor, at first I didnt think it will go anywhere cos of the age gap, but over time I started considering it anyway.  I dont think Hilda was/is desperate. Honestly I made the first move after we had gotten quite close. I am not new to relationships so I know what it is. I know that if it is not Hilda, I might still meet another person close to her in traits.

Hilda is going to be reading this as well anytime from now.

deniyor, Hilda is not a "woman with a kid". She adopted the baby, and that is something I will definitely do soon, myself. We both believe in giving a helpless child a home.
Dust up my confidence? Sigh. Once again, I say, I am not a starter in this stuff. I recall teenage years of studying and applying DeAngelo. This is not a case of confidence or being a wuss. My heart just cannot deny Hilda as being my woman if not for her age.
Re: Help! We Are Crazy About Each Other But She Is 12 Years Older by sochan: 8:12pm On Jan 08, 2011
@Khabi,

there are times you need to use your heart or your head. in my opinion, this is one of those times you need to use your head. It might seem all nice now, but when reality sets, the age difference might start to bite and that time, somehow love seems to go out of the door.

Think about it seriously, marriage is a life long commitment, it is not one of those things you can choose to change your mind midway because you felt you made a mistake.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Question About African Husbands Here In The Us / Does This Happen To You / She Walked Over To Where I Was Sitting And Offered Me An Orange

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.