Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,983 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:02 AM

Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) - Crime (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) (309762 Views)

Picture Of Would Be Boko Haram Suicide Bomber (warning Disturbing Image) / Face Of The Kaduna Suicide Bomber....warning Disturbing Graphic Material / Father Accused Me Of Witchcraft, Bathed Me With Acid (WARNING:disturbing Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by aljharem11(m): 7:05pm On Jan 11, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

From my understanding the Igbos wanted their own country. I do not see any harm in that. Traditional tribes were bent on having their own "land" and separate from other tribes or land. I listened to some of the stories from my Igbo families of how they lived through that and how bleeped up it was.

I wasn't born at the particular time but I can imagine what they been through according to my Igbo family.

Mrs Eve, there is nothing wrong in them having there own country, absolutely nothing

i think Gowen did a great disservice to Nigeria undecided and also to the igbo people

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 6:43am On Jan 12, 2011
The previous post were just beautiful to read. I will continue to post pictures about the war. Thank you very much people.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:17am On Jan 12, 2011
A starving Biafran family during the famine resulting from the Biafran War.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:17am On Jan 12, 2011
Starving child

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:18am On Jan 12, 2011
A federal soldier swings a hand grenade by its release pin while guarding Igbo women prisoners and their children in Nigeria, during the Biafran War.

1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:19am On Jan 12, 2011
A group of mothers and their babies at the Enugu Civilian Hospital, Biafra, during the famine resulting from the Biafran War.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:20am On Jan 12, 2011
19th May 1968: Nigerian Federal Troops in command of Port Harcourt after routing Biafran troops, during the Biafran War.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:42am On Jan 12, 2011
A starving Biafran child during the famine resulting from the Biafran War.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 7:43am On Jan 12, 2011
War on civilians in Umuahia (Biafra)

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by kenx1(m): 12:23pm On Jan 12, 2011
I am a proud igbo boy i remenber d tales my late Dad told me abt d war. He was a major for the gr8 biafra army, I proud of all our fallen patriots, 24 gun salute

13 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by shotster50(m): 2:27am On Jan 13, 2011
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by chi3280(m): 11:42am On Jan 14, 2011
i cant stop crying for this pictures av just seen.its very pathetic that my ibo people went thru hell to be on their own.the children that starved to death.my mum once told me that during the civil war, she looked exactly like these children.if not for the caritas and that their home back then was where the caritas organisation stored the food items that was distributed to the casualties she would have been dead long ago and maybe i wldnt have been born.but the struggle still goes on.one day BIAFRA will be born cry

7 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 14, 2011
Mrs, Eve:

From my understanding the Igbos wanted their own country. I do not see any harm in that. Traditional tribes were bent on having their own "land" and separate from other tribes or land. I listened to some of the stories from my Igbo families of how they lived through that and how bleeped up it was.

I wasn't born at the particular time but I can imagine what they been through according to my Igbo family.
chi 3280:

i cant stop crying for this pictures av just seen.its very pathetic that my ibo people went thru hell to be on their own.the children that starved to death.my mum once told me that during the civil war, she looked exactly like these children.if not for the caritas and that their home back then was where the caritas organisation stored the food items that was distributed to the casualties she would have been dead long ago and maybe i wldnt have been born.but the struggle still goes on.one day BIAFRA will be born cry

I agree with you both. Why didn't they just let them have their own darn country and end the bloodshed. If they wanted to be emancipated what was the big gotdamn deal? These pictures are pissing me off maybe because I have Igbo ancestry I don't know but I am bothered by this! angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by ekubear1: 6:34pm On Jan 14, 2011
^-- In general, states don't like losing territory. And some of the parts of the Eastern region had large amounts of oil.

So yeah, it sorta sucks, but that is the way life is.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by deor03(m): 7:03pm On Jan 14, 2011
Lesson from this

WAR IS NOT GOOD FOR ANY REASON

Nobody on Nairaland (except a few people who were actors or victims of the war as at 1967-1970) has any guilt or responsibility for the actions there.

This is a painful part of our history, that can't be forgotten or neglected !.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 14, 2011
eku_bear:

^-- In general, states don't like losing territory. And some of [size=18pt]the parts of the Eastern region had large amounts of oil[/size].

So yeah, it sorta sucks, but that is the way life is.

BOTTOM LINE. Oil > Human life undecided

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by aljharem(m): 12:00am On Jan 15, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

missy, i think you need to read and know what occur before the war and after the war

your prevous post is very very annoying to me and other viewers, i bet you do not know much about the war apart from wikipedia and other non-crediable sources.

about oil; it is not for igbos or southern nigeria, it is for NIGERIA

so you can not take nigeria's oil to biafra or southern nigeria because oil was discovered when Nigeria was formed not when southern nigeria was on there own

i thought u were jamacian; if you really are, i think it is best to stay out of nigeria history or policies because what you see on Nairaland is not what is acutually gooing on in nigeria

moreover, no one or group in nigeria hates igbos or likes killing igbos

we all co-exist together even my neighbour in borno state (a core islam state) is an igbo christian and he has been living there now for many years without any trouble

ezeuche, onlutruth and co are all in dispora and know nothing about what is going on in nigeria today

this people have been fueled with hate from there bigoted parents who fought in the biafra war which a lot of people die incluing people close to me also

but u do not see me making thrends about how the biafra army killed my relations undecided because it was about 50 yaers agos a distant past that everyone in nigeria has forgotten that it even existed

most igbos now are found in jos kaduna lagos, port harcount and ibadan etc which shows the locals do not hate them

but when u come to nairaland, tribalism is in the air by the ezeuche, onlytruth and co that hate everybody and yet ask them when last they have been to nigeria,

come to lagos, a yoruba state, see how igbo hausa, kanuri and yorubas the locals are relating with respect and love

now compare that to nairaland and see how yorubas, northerners and igbos fight everyday

not all you see on nairaland is real,,,,, once again do not be drawn to this tribal bigot such as wily wily, freewilly, choosen, ezeuche, onlytruth, bashr, fstranger, ileke-idi arsexy, ikangawo, etc because they do not represent the group they claim to be from

even me i time i play the tribal game (i love to see there reactions grin) but does not mean i hate anyone of them

eg

if i see onlytruth and co for really, i will hug them like my brothers not even think they are igbo and yoruba etc we are all brother

so do not fall into this propangada warfare on nairaland,,biko

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten1: 12:48am On Jan 15, 2011
18 Jul 1968, Biafra --- Federal Troops Watched By Biafrans ---Villagers watch a group of Nigerian federal troops in a Biafran town. Biafra was a region of eastern Nigeria that seceded from 1967 to 1970.

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by ekubear1: 12:52am On Jan 15, 2011
MzD@rkSkin:

Eh, true, but generally that is not the way human beings actually behave in the real world.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten1: 12:58am On Jan 15, 2011
Biafra --- Dead Nigerian soldier found in his trench after the liberation of Ikot Ekpene in Biafra, clutching relief ration. 7/6/1968

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten1: 12:59am On Jan 15, 2011
04 Jun 1969, Okwala Junction, Biafra --- Soldier of Biafra. Okwala Junction, Biafra: A Biafran soldier stands in a road at Okwala Junction, recently, just after Biafran troops seized that point during a drive on Port Harcourt. The picture was made by a member of a CBS News unit during filmling for a television report from inside Biafra and Nigeria. The gun the soldier is holding is described as a Communist AK-47 rifle. Sources at the US television network could offer no more information about the weapon. --- Image by Bettmann/CORBIS

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Osama10(m): 1:00am On Jan 15, 2011
Pathetic.
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten1: 1:09am On Jan 15, 2011
16 Jan 1970, Lagos, Nigeria --- Lagos, Nigeria: Three members of an International Team of Observers reporting in Lagos, right to left, Col. Douglas Cairns of Great Britain; Yngye Berlund of Sweden; and Brig. John Drewery of Canada. As part of an eight-man team that visited the war zones, they said they neither saw nor heard of any evidence of genocide in the eastern Region Nigeria, formerly Biafra. -

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by beneli(m): 2:13am On Jan 15, 2011
alj harem:

but u do not see me making thrends about how the biafra army killed my relations undecided because[b] it was about 50 years agos a distant past that everyone in nigeria has forgotten that it even existed[/b]

No, Alhaji, the war did not happen in 'a distant past that everyone in Nigeria has forgotten'.

The war was from 6th July 1967 to 15th January 1970. It was not 'about 50 years ago' - today is 41 years since it ended. And it may interest you to know that even here on NL you have a few people who actually fought . . . and were scarred. . . in that war.

If, like you hinted, you prefer 'to forget' such a tragedy that happened in your nation - and even in your own family, as according to you, your own relatives were also victims - you may want to know that a lot of people have not forgotten. They may have moved on, but they still carry the memories and the scars with them. . .    

Perhaps these pictures tell only the Biafran side of the story, as some are quick to mention. That's fine, but like I mentioned in my other post on this thread, these pictures tell part of our collective story. . . they are part of Nigeria's history, just like the other pictures the poster has been kindly posting in the politics and the culture sections of NL. And as a nation we should not - infact we cannot afford to - forget this part of our history, lest we allow it to occur again.

People who feel uncomfortable that only half of the story is being told, should endeavour to post their own pictures so that we can see our 'complete' history of the war in all its glory . . . and gory. That's what they should do. And not to continue to berate a hurting people.

The truth is that very few nations - infact hardly any nation - can heal if they do not talk about their pains. When they try to suppress it, it finds outlets, which ultimately force them to come back to deal with their issues. Personally I think that if Nigeria really wants to heal then it should confront the ghosts of its past and try to resolve the underlying problems.

Trying to sweep the problems under the carpet is not a good strategy at all.  

@ MzD@rkSkin, your observation is the reality - to some people it was - and always will be - about the oil. Human lives lost or destroyed means nothing . . .

11 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by matazzmagi(m): 2:33am On Jan 15, 2011
Immediately after the civil war, there was a standing policy of Nigeria against our people to undermine anything called Igbo. To make sure that Igbo don't rise again. So whoever becomes the president has that at the back of his mind. Just like the organic nature of a society, there are certain things that overrides the constitution of the country and the constitution cannot amend it.

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by aljharem11(m): 2:49am On Jan 15, 2011
beneli:

No, Alhaji, the war did not happen in 'a distant past that everyone in Nigeria has forgotten'.

The war was from 6th July 1967 to 15th January 1970. It was not 'about 50 years ago' - today is 41 years since it ended. And it may interest you to know that even here on NL you have a few people who actually fought . . . and were scarred. . . in that war.

If[b], like you hinted, you prefer 'to forget' such a tragedy that happened in your nation - and even in your own family, as according to you, your own relatives were also victims - you may want to know that a lot of people have not forgotten. They may have moved on, but they still carry the memories and the scars with them. . .   [/b] 

Perhaps these pictures tell only the Biafran side of the story, as some are quick to mention. That's fine, but like I mentioned in my other post on this thread, these pictures tell part of our collective story. . . they are part of Nigeria's history, just like the other pictures the poster has been kindly posting in the politics and the culture sections of NL. And as a nation we should not - infact we cannot afford to - forget this part of our history, lest we allow it to occur again.

People who feel uncomfortable that only half of the story is being told, should endeavour to post their own pictures so that we can see our 'complete' history of the war in all its glory . . . and gory. That's what they should do. And not to continue to berate a hurting people.

The truth is that very few nations - infact hardly any nation - can heal if they do not talk about their pains. When they try to suppress it, it finds outlets, which ultimately force them to come back to deal with their issues. Personally I think that if Nigeria really wants to heal then it should confront the ghosts of its past and try to resolve the underlying problems.

Trying to sweep the problems under the carpet is not a good strategy at all.  

@ MzD@rkSkin, your observation is the reality - to some people it was - and always will be - about the oil. Human lives lost or destroyed means nothing . . .

I have to forget about it because i can not be holding hate in my heart just because of some people's mistake undecided

Should i say because i have died family member during the war, i should hate my igbo brothers,,,,,NO

If some igbos still hate Nigeria for the war, why do they interact other non-biafrans as if they are friends undecided

how can we move on if we still keep a terrible part of our past in our hearts

i understand if biafrans are still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but it has to be forgotten

sad but true it as to be forgotten

once again to all the families affected, my condolences sad sad sad cry cry cry cry

3 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by cold(m): 2:56am On Jan 15, 2011
Until my dad passed away,he suffered from shrapnel wounds he rcvd during the war as a captain on the Biafra side.But today i dare say the greatest problem with the igbos are the igbos themselves.See how the hausas unite to fight a common cause,you'll never find that kind of unity amongst the igbos

4 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Akhenaten: 3:27am On Jan 15, 2011
Sorry alj harem but most Igbos and Easterners will not forget, because our parents went through this war. How can the children of Biafran war survivors forget when it was told to us quite young?

It takes generations for people to forget a war. Many Japanese people still talk about WWII even though it has been 2 generations. Many Armenians still talk about the Armenian genocide, which was committed by the Ottoman Empire 3 generations ago.

People do not forget.

5 Likes

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by asha80(m): 5:27am On Jan 15, 2011
cold:

Until my dad passed away,he suffered from shrapnel wounds he rcvd during the war as a captain on the Biafra side.But today i dare say the greatest problem with the igbos are the igbos themselves.See how the hausas unite to fight a common cause,you'll never find that kind of unity amongst the igbos

igbos have never been united in the true sense of the word because of the kind of sysetem of democarcy they practiced by nature igbos are individualistic and it predates the war.the igbos fought that war because there was a 'common enemy'.do not compare them to the feudalistic way of life of the hausas.

if you are ready to become a gatemen for a fellow igbo person to ride unto power then then i will like to meet u in real life.

1 Like

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by cold(m): 5:40am On Jan 15, 2011
^^^You know & i know and you know that i know you havn't made any sense.Just spewing a lot of garbage. Look at the present crop of igbo leaders and tell me if we can make any progress at this rate.Have you ever heard the proverb about the broom?
Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by asha80(m): 5:55am On Jan 15, 2011
cold:

^^^You know & i know and you know that i know you havn't made any sense.Just spewing a lot of garbage. Look at the present crop of igbo leaders and tell me if we can make any progress at this rate.Have you ever heard the proverb about the broom?

you talk like the present crop of hausa leaders you are comparing the igbos have done anything for the north except themselves.have you lived in the north before?if you know and has experienced the kind of poverty that exists there then you wil then you will know what i am saying.all this talk about hausa leaders working together is just for the elite pockets and not there people.it is a feudal mindset amongst the elite.cooperation to keep power amongst the elite while the average guy can be an almajiri for all they care.discuss with the average hausa man you see on the street and get back to to me.

do not get me wrong i do not any progress from the useless set of igbo leaders we have but all these comparisions do not make sense the way you view poverty is not really the way the average hausa views poverty.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Biafra: The Nigerian Civil War In Pictures (Warning Disturbing Images) by Nobody: 7:05am On Jan 15, 2011
By the grace of God, Biafra will come true. Amen.

Sad pictures. I bet you, if another succession brews, EVERYBODY will support Biafra. Plz give it another try, ask nicely this time and dont go killing one of the Hausa-Fulani leader.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Cults/gangs: Their Code Name And Orientation. Beware! / My Story As A Cult Member........initiation Phase Included...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.