Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,230 members, 7,853,194 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:21 PM

What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? (5367 Views)

Onshore Oil Fields They Don't Want You To See / Govt Opens Bid Round For 31 Marginal Oil Fields / Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Obiagu1(m): 10:45pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

so ezeuche is clearly not ibibio then, and can not speak as if he is ibibio because each time we talk about biafra with ezeuche, he keep bring i am half igbo half ibibio and i can speak for ibibio,

Ofcourse, EzeUche is not Ibibio (0% Ibibio). He can only claim he knows about Ibibio culture because his mum is Ibibio.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 10:47pm On Jan 10, 2011
Dede1:

It is a matter of time before Nigeria ceases to be a country. There is no doubt in my mind that the disintegration of Nigeria shall be a sudden occurrence with people of similar culture coupled with geographical proximity binding together for common course.

People are still hiding behind the foolishness of 1967 where many southern Nigerians were hoodwinked by propaganda and scared by unfounded Igbo domination. Now, I believed the scales had fallen off their eyes unfortunately they are yet to overcome the personal denial of stupi.dity.  

That is the best case scenario. However, the pervasive need for many African ethnicities to splinter along clan lines needs to be dealt with. Maybe due to colonialism, some groups have not been able to foster a group consensus, but it needs to be done. I like to use the example of Germany.

In Germany, you had various German-speaking states that did not view other as the same people even though they spoke the same language and shared many cultural customs. Prussians seen themselves as Prussians, Bavarians seen themselves as Bavarians, Westphalians seen themselves as Westphalians and this went on for centuries. It was until Otto Von Bismark who was from Prussia united the various German principalities under one state. Even though regional distinctions still persisted, the people started to see themselves as one people.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 10:48pm On Jan 10, 2011
eku_bear:

Descent is patrilineal in most societies. However, If you lived all your life in Igboland and viewed the world as most others do, I think you'd be accepted.

Unfortunately, you don't satisfy any of these requirements, so they don't consider you Igbo  undecided
firstly, it is not up to them to consider me as an igbo man, it is up to the elders in my grand mothers home town, and they clearly advice me to be part and parcel of igbo even though i did not like it at first, i started learning the language and culture so not one from the internet can just come and tell me i am not igbo,,,impossible,, i do not even insult or say anything bad about igbo so what is the problem here undecided

secondly, i do not have to live in igboland all my life to be igbo, what about igbos in lagos, is it not them that said they are igbos and are true igbo sons and daughter

some of them have not even been to the east and they are considered igbo, not to talk of me undecided

thridly, the igbos on this internet can not tell me the requirement to be igbo, never! !!!
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 10:51pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

That is the best case scenario. However, the pervasive need for many African ethnicities to splinter along clan lines needs to be dealt with. Maybe due to colonialism, some groups have not been able to foster a group consensus, but it needs to be done. I like to use the example of Germany.

In Germany, you had various German-speaking states that did not view other as the same people even though they spoke the same language and shared many cultural customs. Prussians seen themselves as Prussians, Bavarians seen themselves as Bavarians, Westphalians seen themselves as Westphalians and this went on for centuries. It was until Otto Von Bismark who was from Prussia united the various German principalities under one state. Even though regional distinctions still persisted, the people started to see themselves as one people.

What is your position on the matter? split the country or stick together? and please do not mind Harem, he is just pulling your legs wink
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 10:52pm On Jan 10, 2011
Obiagu1:

Ofcourse, EzeUche is not Ibibio (0% Ibibio). He can only claim he knows about Ibibio culture because his mum is Ibibio.

ok obiagu1 from the way you are talking, i have to respect you because you have respected yourself

i will stop claiming igbo as from today only on Nairaland but i will be on every single igbo tread as i deem fit because they are nigerians not igborians.

i will stop the igbo claim now smiley

sorry for the trouble brother smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 10:57pm On Jan 10, 2011
jason123:

What is your position on the matter? split the country or stick together? and please do not mind Harem, he is just pulling your legs wink

jason, i am not pulling anyone's leg,,, i am simple saying it as it is
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Akhenaten: 10:57pm On Jan 10, 2011
jason123:

To be honest, I would prefer if the nation was split along ethnic lines. However, seeing how much controversy could arise from such a split, the nation would be best served if it was split regionally. My worry is that I want the minority ethnicities to have a voice within these nations. An Eastern republic would make the Igbo more of a majority, because Igbos make up 70% of the East. That would worry many of the minorities and their rights must be protected.

I am more concerned about the cultural aspect. Anything that helps foster Igbo language, culture and unity is something that I would support. I am worried that my language could extinct, but if we have a nation of our own, we can preserve our language for future generations.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 10:59pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

ok obiagu1 from the way you are talking, i have to respect you because you have respected yourself

i will stop claiming igbo as from today only on Nairaland but i will be on every single igbo tread as i deem fit because they are nigerians not igborians.

i will stop the igbo claim now smiley

sorry for the trouble brother smiley

aww, what have you guys done to Harem undecided
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 11:04pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

To be honest, I would prefer if the nation was split along ethnic lines. However, seeing how much controversy could arise from such a split, the nation would be best served if it was split regionally. If you mean split along the old East, Midwest, West, North lines, forget it. That will never happen.

The Niger deltans will not be part of a region called 'East,' in which Igbos are majority. Why would they leave Nigeria, to become a minority in another country, when all the leverage (oil) is with them?.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:04pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

To be honest, I would prefer if the nation was split along ethnic lines. However, seeing how much controversy could arise from such a split, the nation would be best served if it was split regionally. My worry is that I want the minority ethnicities to have a voice within these nations. An Eastern republic would make the Igbo more of a majority, because Igbos make up 70% of the East. That would worry many of the minorities and their rights must be protected.

I am more concerned about the cultural aspect. Anything that helps foster Igbo language, culture and unity is something that I would support. I am worried that my language could extinct, but if we have a nation of our own, we can preserve our language for future generations.

igbo language is not going to extinction in anyway,, so by separating, it will ensure that your language does not go to extinition undecided

that does not make sense, why can't the eastern governors make igbo language compulsory at the primary and secondary level of education, that way every igbo child in the East will have pass through igbo and know the basic and fundamental language and culture of igbo undecided just like what is done in the north
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2011
agree with Harem re language.

it's laziness to blame being part of nigeria for everything. why cant Igbo states work together to support the langauge currently?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2011
Akhenaten:

Hmm, I like what what you said. I hope your culture preservation is achieved! smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 11:06pm On Jan 10, 2011
@Missy85, if you don't mind me asking, what are you? You seem too detribalized (unlike me, for example) for me to easily tell.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2011
Missy85:

aww, what have you guys done to Harem undecided
smiley smiley smiley smiley do not worry i am ok with it so long as i do not fight or make anyone angry especially my igbo brother, i will do anything and even sacrifice my pride and origin for my igbo brothers, because i love them even if they do not love me smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Onlytruth(m): 11:08pm On Jan 10, 2011
Isn't it interesting that while other forumites are actually trying to figure out how to disintegrate Nigeria peacefully and really trying their best to put forward viable solutions (even though some ideas may sound ridiculous undecided), a character like alj harem1 is more interested in sowing seeds of division and confusion in eastern Nigeria in futile effort to stop the inevitable.
The guy is not even interested in putting forward any alternative solution to how we move Nigeria forward AS IS, or how to move forward apart. He is NOT INTERESTED at all! hehehe!  grin grin grin

Isn't it the same thing the north has done all these years?  
They had the opportunity to fix things, but were more interested in carving up nonviable states and maintaining a system that is unsustainable in the long run. SMH

@topic,

I have always been for a united FUNCTIONAL Nigeria if possible. There has been a few times that our unity brings joy.
However, we have some insurmountable problems. Let me list a few:

SHARIA LAW and systematic Islamization of Nigeria
Quota system and indegene vs settler controversy in a single country.
Over-centralization of power leading to massive corruption of the whole system from federal to local government.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul using population figures.

In a sane society where people are actually interested in being one, these problems can easily be tabled and discussed.
But in Nigeria, where some sections feel that they have cornered the collective patrimony as a result of winning the civil war, even something like a national conference have been rejected and sabotaged.

So, even a most optimistic Nigerian would begin to believe that Nigeria is irredeemable.

BTW where is ndu_chucks?  

I would like to debate him on this.  cool cool
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Onlytruth(m): 11:10pm On Jan 10, 2011
@Akhenaten
Please heed the advice already given. Ignore alj harem1 .
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 11:11pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

smiley smiley smiley smiley do not worry i am ok with it so long as i do not fight or make anyone angry especially my igbo brother, i will do anything and even sacrifice my pride and origin for my igbo brothers, because i love them even if they do not love me smiley smiley smiley smiley

aww,,,how lovely and heroic is that?
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:16pm On Jan 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

Isn't it interesting to that while other forumites are actually trying to figure out how to disintegrate Nigeria peacefully and really trying their best to put forward viable solutions (even though some ideas may sound ridiculous undecided), a character like alj harem1 is more interested in sowing seeds of division and confusion in eastern Nigeria in futile effort to stop the inevitable.
The guy is not even interested in putting forward any alternative solution to how we move Nigeria forward AS IS, or how to move forward apart. He is NOT INTERESTED at all! hehehe!  grin grin grin

Isn't it the same thing the north has done all these years?  
They had the opportunity to fix things, but were more interested in carving up nonviable states and maintaining a system that is unsustainable in the long run. SMH

@topic,

I have always been for a united FUNCTIONAL Nigeria if possible. There has been a few times that our unity brings joy.
However, we have some insurmountable problems. Let me list a few:

SHARIA LAW and systematic Islamization of Nigeria
Quota system and indegene vs settler controversy in a single country.
Over-centralization of power leading to massive corruption of the whole system from federal to local government.
Robbing Peter to pay Paul using population figures.

In a sane society where people are actually interested in being one, these problems can easily be tabled and discussed.
But in Nigeria, where some sections feel that they have cornered the collective patrimony as a result of winning the civil war, even something like a national conference have been rejected and sabotaged.

So, even a most optimistic Nigerian would begin to believe that Nigeria is irredeemable.

BTW where is ndu_chucks?  

I would like to debate him on this.  cool cool

onlytruth smiley smiley brother how body na smiley smiley smiley how u are good smiley long time and how is mumsi and popsi na smiley hope they are good

hope ojukwu is feeling better now smiley

@you post

i am not sowing any seed of division to the igbos ,,i tell you i am not undecided

all i was doing was to explain thing to the guy but he blood was just boiling like oil in borno sand undecided why i do not know even when i brought out links and facts undecided

secondly ther is no systematic islamatization of anything, were you not here when oruba muslims are saying they have converted to Christianity, so what has Islam got to do with this undecided

and no one is talking about the civil war here

once again nice seeing u log in brother, greet udezue for me smiley
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:17pm On Jan 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

@Akhenaten
Please heed the advice already given. Ignore alj harem1 .

why na onlytruth, what have i done again undecided angry
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 11:22pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

onlytruth smiley smiley brother how body na smiley smiley smiley how u are good smiley long time and how is mumsi and popsi na smiley hope they are good

hope ojukwu is feeling better now smiley

@you post

i am not sowing any seed of division to the igbos ,,i tell you i am not undecided

all i was doing was to explain thing to the guy but he blood was just boiling like oil in borno sand undecided why i do not know even when i brought out links and facts undecided

secondly ther is no systematic islamatization of anything, were you not here when oruba muslims are saying they have converted to Christianity, so what has Islam got to do with this undecided

and no one is talking about the civil war here

once again nice seeing u log in brother, greet udezue for me smiley
alj harem1:

why na onlytruth, what have i done again undecided angry
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin. ROMFL!!! grin grin grin grin. I love this guy!
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Missy85(f): 11:26pm On Jan 10, 2011
eku_bear:

@Missy85, if you don't mind me asking, what are you? You seem too detribalized (unlike me, for example) for me to easily tell.

Oooh, thats difficult to say.

More important - though I wont shed a tear if Nigeria disintegrates, I do want everyone to be treated absolutely fairly - Igbo, Hausa, Yoruba, Ijaw, Itshekiri etc. I respect everyone - from the highly dedicated Hausa herdsman, the Igbo spare parts seller, to the Owambe musician. All dedicated people trying to put food on the table for their family. I dont look down on anyone or feel superior by reason of education, material resources, ethnic background etc.

Life's easier that way!
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Onlytruth(m): 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2011
I think that Missy85 is one smart babe, though I may not agree with some of her points, but she comes off truly sharp!  cool

I am for any country where there is agreement from day one about what the country would be.

I don't think that language and religion is really a big deal, LAGOS is a proof to that. If you have only Yoruba Muslims, you would never know that Muslims can be violent. So, I agree with abagworo too that a multi-ethnic country is not a bad idea, provided there is agreement from day one. I don't see any other tribe trying to hold on to power (even unfairly in most instances) in Nigeria except the Hausa/Fulani.
In a sense, I would blame them for Nigeria's failure to be a united strong country.

Those of us who agitate for Biafra do so when we think that other options are not possible.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 11:30pm On Jan 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

I think that Missy85 is one smart babe, though I may not agree with some of her points, but she comes off truly sharp!  cool

I am for any country where there is agreement from day one about what the country would be.

I don't think that language and religion is really a big deal, LAGOS is a proof to that. If you have only Yoruba Muslims, you would never know that Muslims can be violent. So, I agree with abagworo too that a multi-ethnic country is not a bad idea, provided there is agreement from day one. I don't see any other tribe trying to hold on to power (even unfairly in most instances) in Nigeria except the Hausa/Fulani.
In a sense, I would blame them for Nigeria's failure to be a united strong country.

Those of us who agitate for Biafra do so when we think that other options are not possible.  

Thanks for the insight.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:32pm On Jan 10, 2011
Onlytruth:

i HATE it when people blame hausa/fulani angry it is very disgusting and irritating angry

why and why can you not blame ekeumeme, Obasanjo, kalu orji uzo, gbaga danel, alao akala, tiunbu, ibori, uwaumwu, eziriba, uba, etc

why hausa/fulani angry angry angry angry

think straight here brother,,, i think you have started drinking again undecided
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Olaedo1: 11:36pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

i HATE it when people blame hausa/fulani angry it is very disgusting and irritating angry

why and why can you not blame ekeumeme, Obasanjo, kalu orji uzo, gbaga danel, alao akala, tiunbu, ibori, uwaumwu, eziriba, uba, etc

why hausa/fulani angry angry angry angry

think straight here brother,,, i think you have started drinking again undecided

What did ekwueme do exactly? also none of the guys mentioned except obj were ever presidents and obj was installed by the northerners.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:39pm On Jan 10, 2011
Ola edo:

What did ekwueme do exactly? also none of the guys mentioned except obj were ever presidents and obj was installed by the northerners.

that is the question what did ekwueme do when he was in power.

what big thing did Obj do when he was in power
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by sbeezy8: 11:42pm On Jan 10, 2011
Northerners will not repeal sharia law imagine the amount of deaths to follow Kai chai lai lai.
Middle belt will not let settlers  take their Lands and neither will NIGER DELTANS etc.

Minorities will not want to be consumed by Majority tribes the Edos urhobos and itsekiris dont believe in it, so of course the Major tribes will say HELL no. thats inevitable so the fear of domination by majority tribes is realistic.

In Warri Alone before Warri was even named a city sef urhobos are said to have made Itsekiris pay Taxes and rent land like settler do. can an itsekiri even win election in sapele HELL NO.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by ekubear1: 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2011
@Missy85: I agree almost entirely with your second comment. I'm not a racist, supremacist, bigot, etc. And any lingering hatred/misunderstandings I've had have been erased by extended stays in PH, Abuja. . . basically coming to understand that others are human beings, not demons or bogeyman.

Still though, even if you aren't a racist/bigot, that doesn't mean that you don't have a "team" you are playing for. I think for 99% of Nigerians, even the ones who are not bigots, that team is not team Nigeria, so much as team Yoruba/Edo/Urhobo/Ekiti State/Ilesha town/etc. Ultimately, most allegiances are local, I think; under 1% of Nigerians truly, truly play for team Nigeria (and personally, I question if any of them actually do. . . a lot of them play for team "capitalism" or team "my pocketbook" instead).
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by Olaedo1: 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

Exactly.You have no idea of what you are talking about.
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:46pm On Jan 10, 2011
Ola edo:

Exactly.You have no idea of what you are talking about.

i meant when he was in power as vice, what did he do for his people or even nigeria as a whole undecided
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by jason123: 11:46pm On Jan 10, 2011
alj harem1:

HE SPLIT THE WEST INTO 2 (WEST AND MID-WEST) undecided wink
Re: What If The North Takes Half Of The Oil Fields And Leave Peacefully? by aljharem11(m): 11:48pm On Jan 10, 2011
jason123:

HE SPLIT THE WEST INTO 2 (WEST AND MID-WEST) undecided wink

so that is his achievement during his time in power, and they are here shout north "hisses" angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians reacted as Buhari Raised Hand Of Photographer At Recent Rally / Bello El Rufai Threatened To Rape Someone's Mother, his mother supports him. / I Went Home And Found This Biafra Pounds In My Late Dad Box

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.