Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,241 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos (91727 Views)

Photos Of The Collapsed Ebute Metta Building Before Collapse / How I Survived After Spending 3 Hours Under Lagos Collapsed Building - Survivor / Lagos School Building: Before Collapse And After The Collapse (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by mordred44: 2:14pm On May 01, 2020
OCDA has a role to play
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Reference(m): 2:20pm On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:
This is clearer photo of the building rumored to have been bought from the initial owner and hurriedly built by Emeka Ihedioha during his short stay as a sitting Governor.

Really, for how long was he governor?. To design (redesign)and build this will take more than a year without tower cranes which I cannot see in the picture moreover the decay observed....depending at what stage of completion it was purchased.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by eyoohood(m): 2:22pm On May 01, 2020
let's blame the federal government on this. they ban ibeto cement which is probably the best for this kind of structure. if you know you know.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworo(m): 2:29pm On May 01, 2020
Reference:

Really, for how long was he governor?. To design and build this will take more than a year without tower cranes which I cannot see in the picture moreover the decay observed.

He is rumored to have bought it at advanced stage when it was 5 floors.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Menance: 2:31pm On May 01, 2020
See somebody's money on the floor
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Gkemz: 2:32pm On May 01, 2020
Thank God it happened when it's still under construction though unfortunately there were casualties. However the casualties would have been much more than the number recorded if the building had been completed and rented out to people who would have been trapped or had their goods destroyed.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Reference(m): 2:33pm On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:

He is rumored to have bought it at advanced stage when it was 5 floors.

I see. Then the cause of the collapse is evident. Alteration was the likely cause.

In that case Mr. Ihedioha and his associates have a lot of questions to answer.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Reference(m): 2:34pm On May 01, 2020
Gkemz:
Thank it happened when it's still under construction. The casualties would have been much more than the number recorded if the building had been completed and rented out to people who would have been trapped or had their goods destroyed.

Hmm....one positive of Covid lockdown. Probably the sole casualty was the poor, damned security man.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Zikachat(m): 2:42pm On May 01, 2020
Yungmil:
hmmm

OK guys FTC debutant is here.

want to use this opportunity to thank Mtn for daily 50 free mb, which was used to make this possible.

50mb daily how na show me the way
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Abagworro: 2:42pm On May 01, 2020
Owerri is a shithole. Incidentally the entire town looks- filthy, shitty and messed up like this.

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by dedoz: 2:46pm On May 01, 2020
This building is not far from my house....it's being built in a T shape.What a sad event...the women that normally go there to sell food would have been victims if not for the lockdown.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Smartiyke40: 2:51pm On May 01, 2020
That structure is nothing else than a hotel.... my owerri politicians and business men have a covenant with hotel ownership!!!
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Pechykedgg: 2:54pm On May 01, 2020
This building is more than 30 years old
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Checked86: 2:56pm On May 01, 2020
I know of a building like this at Utako, just beside Eden Garden, after Chida hotel. Another one at Jabi Garage, Just before Chida hotel(i don't know the situation now though)
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by SamOyovwi: 2:58pm On May 01, 2020
This is a controlled demolition o
TriCee:
Oh, they were attempting a skyscraper, with substandard materials??

I laugh in swahili. Someone's years of sweat, wasted!!!
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by kunletexs: 3:02pm On May 01, 2020
NextD18:

Possibly, the column base, perfectly required rods, thickness of casting, foundation walls and other structural activities in the foundation were properly done.

How about the soil test where the strength of soil should be checked? That's what many builders overlook before building.

They just assume judging with the nearby buildings, next is site preparation, do their setting out and booom, they don start foundation.

You are truly an engineer!

Soil test is very important in building houses. Can you imagine a site where there were 2 storey buildings around but this owner insisted on doing soil test and it was revealed that the soil can not carry the weight of one storey building. Na so man had to reconstruct building plan o. Just giving an illustration here and the importance for soil test.

Can you imagine that when the coin building in dubai was to be constructed, they did soil test and saw that because of the water in the soil, it can act as an up trust thereby collapsing the structure if built. Thus they had to drain and reinforced the foundation seriously.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by ishitinyourmouf: 3:04pm On May 01, 2020
dedoz:
This building is not far from my house....it's being built in a T shape.What a sad event...the women that normally go there to sell food would have been victims if not for the lockdown.
it also produces smellng hoes like mercy
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by xavuv: 3:04pm On May 01, 2020
Law of nature always at work. Doesn't care where or circumstances.

Thats is gravity.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by kunletexs: 3:10pm On May 01, 2020
Mightyhaiz:
hmm.. Perhaps years of burrowings around and within the building by rodents ,reptiles and even insects may have weakened it on all fronts..

Oga, rodent bore hole into foundation of house? It not made of wood. The truth is that building left for long had settled on the weight and adjusted. But a new set of weight could have disturb the balance thus the collapse.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Yampotatocarrot(m): 3:13pm On May 01, 2020
Abagworo:
This is clearer photo of the building rumored to have been bought from the initial owner and hurriedly built by Emeka Ihedioha during his short stay as a sitting Governor.

Bros, we both know this is a lie na. That building has been left uncompleted for MANY YEARS, so how come you that was a kinda spokesperson for Rochas is claiming the building was "rumoured" to have been hurriedly built by Emeka.

Are you telling me you never saw that building throughout the period Rochas was governor? Come on, na

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Candoit: 3:14pm On May 01, 2020
NORSYK:
What The Building That Collapsed In Owerri Looked Like before the sad incident

OP ! Is it not the building near hot FM, along Emirates hotel road?

if it is were they trying to start of where they stopped cos that building project looked like it had been abandoned for long.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by myright: 3:28pm On May 01, 2020
I know this building. The contractor handling this project is based in Yaba, Lagos as written on the profile board.

The building probably failed due to the following reasons:

1. High axial load acting on the ground columns. A crushing test of sample taken from the site should reveal this.

2. Not using the correct concrete mix required to achieve a particular concrete grade as directed by the structural engineer. A simple test with a smith hammer will give us the average grade of the concrete.

High velocity wind load is ruled out as a possible cause of the collapse due to pattern/direction of the collapse.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by chubinwa(m): 3:31pm On May 01, 2020
Lives and millions gone just like that. God have mercy
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by YorubaPrince: 3:45pm On May 01, 2020
Igbo pple and fake everything be like 5 & 6 grin
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by goshen26: 3:57pm On May 01, 2020
One Engineer has forgot to multiply by 2
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by erico2k2(m): 3:58pm On May 01, 2020
NORSYK:
What The Building That Collapsed In Owerri Looked Like before the sad incident
From this point I can say it was an abandoned building which physical structures has been weakened by the element
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by erico2k2(m): 4:00pm On May 01, 2020
kunletexs:

Oga, rodent bore hole into foundation of house? It not made of wood. The truth is that building left for long had settled on the weight and adjusted. But a new set of weight could have disturb the balance thus the collapse.
Rodent do.I have witnessed this 1st hand at my mums house.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Ibyno(m): 4:06pm On May 01, 2020
to be poor takes a bling of an eye. hard earn currency wasted.
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by ddooskie(m): 4:15pm On May 01, 2020
TheSourcerer:
i leisurely pictures how do I sell online please, i tried pantheon and Alamy , no luck
https://shutr.bz/3fbBAQ7
Shutterstock, Foam (use VPN)

1 Like

Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 01, 2020
If you look at the lower left corner of the structure, you will see a signage, that usually lists the name and purpose of the building, its civil and structural engineers and architects maybe quantity surveyors.

A structure like this ought to have been well planned, maybe Nigerian factor along the way.

All the deckings were standing, so wetin happen?
Re: Owerri Collapsed Building: Before And After Photos by Nobody: 4:24pm On May 01, 2020
Abagworro:
Owerri is a shithole. Incidentally the entire town looks- filthy, shitty and messed up like this.

They re simple people, give them their clothes, cars and enjoyment, where they live is irrelevant.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can 11 Million Naira Build This Kind House? / What's The Cost Of Building A Self Contained Apartment Now? / Bizarre 'Pyramid-Shaped' 18-Storey Building In China Becomes Internet Sensation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.