Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,025 members, 7,818,027 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? (58805 Views)

Should I Build With Her Or Do It All Alone? / Will You Be Angry With Your Wife If You Discover She's Saving From Upkeep Money? / Husband Dies Saving Wife From Electrocution In Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Craaaa: 9:44pm On May 01, 2020
D
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Trutherme: 9:44pm On May 01, 2020
shocked
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Yankee101: 9:45pm On May 01, 2020
A good land is a temporary store of value. Buy in different locations, verify land documents, state govt etc. If you can buy directly from a govt or an estate better

But save in dollars for now if you're not sure

There's hunger, so lots of great bargains in naija right now

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by nextstep(m): 9:45pm On May 01, 2020
Build the house.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by sulasa07(m): 9:46pm On May 01, 2020
covid2019:
I am in a dilemma worsened by this covid19.

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

All these while squatting, I have been saving via my proceeds from hustles.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.
What do you think please?

Small advice,divide the money into two and use 1 to build a house and use the other to invest in something and you won't regret it.But keep that money to yourself make people no come Rob or poison you especially the person you are living with.

10 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Hotguy27: 9:46pm On May 01, 2020
Build now if you intend to stay in Nigeria.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by ogeodi(f): 9:46pm On May 01, 2020
Building is the best
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by gordufispo: 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
smiley
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by jmoore(m): 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
undecided
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by MisterKings(m): 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
Build that house, worse case scenario you can sell it off.
If that money stays in your hand too long, get ready for it to fly away one way or the other.
Or you invest it into treasury bills which can pay you about 10% every 3 months or so. That is about 1 million naira every quarter or about 300k monthly.

Your money still remains intact.

That's the last information I received regarding treasury bills unless they have changed.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by wwwihy: 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
building is an investment
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Discombulator: 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
Go meet a financial advisor, while should I advice you for free.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Odingo1: 9:47pm On May 01, 2020
Buy land and build for commercial purposes
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by AmazingELixir: 9:48pm On May 01, 2020
grin

Abobi bring the money make we chop...don't waste it on buildings

5 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by xcabczyxabczzzz: 9:48pm On May 01, 2020
My friend move out and face life, don't be coward.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by belteshazzar013: 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
Don't build a house yet,get an apartment,invest the money but make sure you diversify your investment. I.e dont put all your eggs in one basket.By the end of this year you should have x2 or x3 of the money,Spend and Invest wisely.
I recommend forex
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Chekwube1989(m): 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
Just buy land and build house
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Wickedfact: 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
Discombulator:
Go meet a financial advisor, while should I advice you for free.

Why

3 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by jmoore(m): 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
Your proceeds from 'hustle'?
Which type of hustle?

10 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by nextstep(m): 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
11 million at 29? You've done really well.

I would suggest you build a small house now... I usually advocate people put their savings in treasuries, but in the current situation, it's best to have a place you call home, and never have to work to pay rent again (even though you said you're squatting)

Hedging against the Naira makes sense, but consider that most of the things you will buy for your house will be dollar-denominated. Yes, you pay Naira for iron, doors, and paint, but all those items are either fully imported or have 80%+ imported raw materials.

Inflation is real, and even if the value of your dom account stays the same in dollar terms, the materials will be 14%+ more expensive after a year (and would have doubled in 5 years, per rule of 72).

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by tonididdy(m): 9:49pm On May 01, 2020
covid2019:
I am in a dilemma worsened by this covid19.

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

All these while squatting, I have been saving via my proceeds from hustles.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.
What do you think please?

House is money consuming also you are also saving to build a house. So it's a win win.

Ensure you have money to complete the building to finish otherwise you will get frustrated in between .

GL

Btw I just finished mine after 3yrs...was it worth it. YES bcoz now it's done and dusted.
My next investment now are travel, cars and children.

Am done building unless its a commercial building

Modified: 3yrs ago 10m would build you a semi full option 2or3 bedroom bungalow, now in 2020 you won't get past roofing level with that sum. If you don't start now, you would need double that money to attain even roofing level but also God-willing our hustoz go dey double. Amen

8 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by vasco01(m): 9:50pm On May 01, 2020
southniyikaye:
build rooms you can let out on the land if it is a commercial or semi commercial area.
You can build some room self contain and put it out for rent.
Money to travel out will still surfice in your estimated money

Please you should donate the money to gandollar to help fight corona virus for kano state
Thank me later
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Boydehot: 9:50pm On May 01, 2020
So you just picked money and you don't know that building an apartment when you have money for it is the best option.
Nothing saves a man more than landed property.95% of landed properties serves as life insurance.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by WeRblessed(f): 9:51pm On May 01, 2020
Build a house and rent it out

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Jay4joy: 9:51pm On May 01, 2020
Invest in Landed property please.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Kosoco(m): 9:51pm On May 01, 2020
You have 11.4 m and you are squatting with me I will kick your ass out. Except we are in the same G Work... You have 11m and your are Squatting bro I don’t believe you. Come plain pls... Maybe you just pick... but remember d picker and the picky one day Egugun go enter express. If it’s legit it will multiply.

14 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 01, 2020
vasco01:

Please you should donate the money to gandollar to help fight corona virus for kano state
Thank me later
you quoted the wrong person bro
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 01, 2020
Run as fast as your feet can carry you and get the land and develop it and then rent it out.

Cash at hand if not properly deployed for the right purposes often at times get spent with nothing to show for it.

Getting a land and developing it is always a good investment that also do appreciate in value, therefore do not entertain any doubt, just go ahead and get it done.

Writing from personal experience.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by hopexter(m): 9:52pm On May 01, 2020
Do palliatives to the needies pandemic Era, if their prayers help you survive the virus, God will do a massive unending thing in your life. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Meet Mariam Nabatanzi Who Has 42 Children: 'Uganda's Most Fertile Woman' / Stay-at-home Order: Lagos Husbands Narrate Experiences / Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.