Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? (58855 Views)

Should I Build With Her Or Do It All Alone? / Will You Be Angry With Your Wife If You Discover She's Saving From Upkeep Money? / Husband Dies Saving Wife From Electrocution In Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by ehisforever24(m): 11:52pm On May 01, 2020
Pavicx:
BrO you are 29 oo
Build a house
Marry
Make kids
Just be HAPPY
Just LIVE BIKO
Unless you want to rule the world
Then you can continue waiting for the money to get bigger
the best advise
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Happyguy201: 11:53pm On May 01, 2020
TwistedInsane:
OP, your side sweet o.

Just trasnfer me like 50k mah take see front for this lockdown nah. No be my fault. Even after lockdown, I still need to hunt for jobs after getting laid off due to the pandemic.

Nairalanders, please help a brother. Wetin hunger don do me this period, omo no be here. Na beg I dey beg una o!

greedy bastard u don already spoil your chances . how can u ask op to transfer 50k for u weda na joke or u mean u still fork up. make hunger wire u wella

3 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by dayorich: 11:55pm On May 01, 2020
Super story.
Submit your script to Nollywood.
You had better confessed that you are a Yahoo! plus boy...
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by GiftcardandBTC(m): 11:55pm On May 01, 2020
Build house and use the rest to continue your business.

That's the best advice
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by iamclime(m): 11:55pm On May 01, 2020
dukeprince50:
If the house u want to build is ur own residential house, I'll advice u to invest that money into different businesses, u can multiply that money by 5 in the next ten years, but if u want to give it out for rent, I'll say u should build it. Ur first priority should be more money. The house, if not for rent will depreciate but land does not.
Also if u haven't figured out what to do with ur life, I'll say u hold that money till u find urself. Don't just run and invest wen u have no idea what to invest on. U can loose everything.Best thing u can do with ur money is to use it and make more money, but do it wisely
Modified.
To those quoting me that house doesn't depreciate, what do u say about the brick houses 20-30years ago or the mud and thatch house during our great grandma's time? Brick house was a hot cake in the 90's, also in late 90's if u have a block house, u are rich, 20years from now Architecture will bring up a new design and glass houses will be as worthy as what block house is today. Be here thinking houses don't depreciate.
As much as I agree with some of your submissions, let me point out that real brick houses are still in style, for those who know the value. Real bricks, baked bricks I mean. They are even costlier than block houses. Ask any brick mason.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 11:55pm On May 01, 2020
CeeManCollins:
11.4m is not a lot but a very good money for someone of your age and economy. First off show your friend some kind of appreciation for putting up with him while you saved cos the story my change if he finds out you have such for money for such investment. Next take a couple of thousands and show love to your kinsmen; your immediate kindred. Buy some bags of rice, cartons of indomie, Cartons of tomatoes and bags of salt. I don’t go to church nor believe in prayers but believe me they will genuinely pray for you and appreciate your kind gesture, your good deeds and their prayers for you to multiply will guide you so you don’t into the wrong hands or investment going wrong.
Secondly, get a land close to a higher institution and build a modern self cons like ten rooms, while buying the land go a little further inside where u can get the land cheaper wants u make it a modern building students will pay good rent. We will be in this corona era a little longer and their will be more lockdowns that will run into months and people will sell land cheap when that time comes. Bro forget about going abroad for now. If you need more advice pls contact me. I wish you luck.

I foot many bills there. In fact the last small renovation cost me circa 200k. I buy food stuff too, gas, run errands etc. It's a family house . No rent is paid.

The only thing is that I have no girlfriends, no social life and no show off.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by BuTiku2019: 11:55pm On May 01, 2020
MAY GOD DELIVER ME FROM THESE TYPE OF PEOPLE
In 2007 - 2008, a friend of mine squatted in my place for over a year. Guy was feeding off me. I was paying the rent. I was doing everything, including the DSTV subscription etc.
I only got to know how poor this dude was when the financial crises happened and the values of shares fell flat.

This guy had more than 6 million naira worth of shares.

Guy was squatting with me, and using his own money to invest.

This OP is that kind of person. You have a car. You have over 10 million in savings. But you choose to squat with someone else.

You think its sense? Its Greed.
I absolutely detest these kinds of people.

7 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by TwistedInsane: 11:56pm On May 01, 2020
Happyguy201:

greedy bastard u don already spoil your chances . how can u ask op to transfer 50k for u weda na joke or u mean u still fork up. make hunger wire u wella

Cool it dude. I was kidding with the amount. Don't get so cranky about it.

I'm not expecting him to just wire me 50k just like that nah...
when him no pick am for ground.

OP, abeg no vex o! Na joke I dey. Any amount would help. I just wanna survive...
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by yemkoguru(m): 11:58pm On May 01, 2020
ehisforever24:
the best advise
I tell you man
5mil is enough to build depending on location though
he can still reserve a certain amount and continue hustling after settling down

2 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by dukeprince50: 12:00am On May 02, 2020
iamclime:

As much as I agree with some of your submissions, let me point out that real brick houses are still in style, for those who know the value. Real bricks, baked bricks I mean. They are even costlier than block houses. Ask any brick mason.
Im talking about the brick designs of the 90's. Sky scraper is just a block house with so many glass, they are all block houses but u don't compare the designs, in the future, we will have more design of sky scraper. As a young man, building a residential house is a no no for me, cos in the next 30yrs, that design will be tasteless
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 12:01am On May 02, 2020
gfullmoon:
Squatting while you have almost #12M in your account make this story a Class A Fiction.

Squatting is still the word. Maybe I should have said living not squatting, Its 4 rooms and parlor family house.

Only 2 siblings at home.
There is an empty room I use. In fact, I have access to everywhere.
.I spend money there too.

I foot many bills there. In fact the last small renovation cost me circa 200k. It's a family house . No rent is paid.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by flexyrule(m): 12:01am On May 02, 2020
tot:

The interest rate is per annum not monthly. So 1m for the year = 83k monthly.
That should be 10m for the year = 83k monthly.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Diamondplus1805(m): 12:02am On May 02, 2020
Buy land , build your house now , build apartment , before inflation does more damage to the Savings.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by glipmse: 12:02am On May 02, 2020
Sa2ruis:
You can hardly build anything of note for that 11.4 million especially, if you don't already own a plot of land and have to include the cost of purchase.
I advise you to take advantage of this one in a lifetime opportunity to invest in some fundamentally sound stocks with many at really low prices right now. You do not even have to restrict yourself to the NSE as there are apps that allow you to invest in US and China stocks

Please can you share the verified apps that allows you to buy US and China stocks from Nigeria?

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by engronwe22: 12:02am On May 02, 2020
Building a house now is not the best option, look for a nice business and invest, you can go into importation, like Turkey, Eroup and buy goods and come back, before you know it, you will count in more millions, building house now will tie your money down. And if care is not taken, your business will start shaking.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by sheunsheun(m): 12:03am On May 02, 2020
Pavicx:
BrO you are 29 oo
Build a house
Marry
Make kids
Just be HAPPY
Just LIVE BIKO
Unless you want to rule the world
Then you can continue waiting for the money to get bigger

This man here is right. The question is do you want to just live the life or you want to be a Dangote?

When i started my house, i don't even have a million. Today i am living comfortably in it and its a beautiful small place. I am happy and enjoying my life.

Op just take a step, you will be surprised you might not even spend much from your 11m. The returns on your hustle will build your house.

I have never had 10m in my acc but i am worth far more than that now. I believe you are a wise man, it's why you can make such at this age. You are 2 years older than me btw

4 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by yemkoguru(m): 12:05am On May 02, 2020
sheunsheun:

This man here is right. The question is do you want to just live the life or you want to be a Dangote?

When i started my house, i don't even have a million. Today i am living comfortably in it and its a beautiful small place. I am happy and enjoying my life.

Op just take a step, you will be surprised you might not even spend much from your 11m. The returns on your hustle will build your house.

I have never had 10m in my acc but i am worth far more than that now. I believe you are a wise man, it's why you can make such at this age. You are 2 years older than me btw
wow
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 12:06am On May 02, 2020
dayorich:
Super story. Submit your script to Nollywood. You had better confessed that you are a Yahoo! plus boy...
Took me 6 years of exacting work coupled with austerity measures to get here.
I have no girlfriends. No social life and don't brag or show off.
You don't need to believe anyway as it will change nothing.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Hightser: 12:09am On May 02, 2020
Needy19:
Definitely, I've wanted to do dis long time ago, but got no medium to do soo here at nigeria, am advertising my s*x business here on Nairaland, am a male young nd vibrant gigolo, if interested, u can send me an email message, am at lagos, Ajah

Guy, how far na, I need accommodation at island oh, you no go help me? I do Uber BTW and the mainland is not a target market.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 12:13am On May 02, 2020
BuTiku2019:
In 2007 - 2008, a friend of mine squatted in my place for over a year. Guy was feeding off me. I was paying the rent. I was doing everything, including the DSTV subscription etc.
I only got to know how poor this dude was when the financial crises happened and the values of shares fell flat.

This OP is that kind of person. You have a car. You have over 10 million in savings. But you choose to squat with someone else.

[b]

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Squatting is still the word. Maybe I should have said living not squatting, Its 4 rooms and parlor family house.

Only 2 siblings at home.

I foot many bills there. In fact the last small renovation cost me circa 200k. It's a family house . No rent is paid.
The friend is a post grad student and rarely stays at home.

.It would have been cheaper for me to stay alone. He drives my car. In fact, I taught him how to drive.

I buy gas, foodstuff etc.

Only if you knew how much I hate to beg, let alone letting people feed me

I started this hustle in school.

It took me 6 years.

I was able to save due to frugal nature. I don't show off, I don't brag. I even stated that my car is rickety valued at 350k.

If I was proud person, maybe I would have bought Camry to chase girls.

I suffered so much growing up.

You may not understand.

I feel like crying typing this.

[/b]

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by youngzeal1: 12:14am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:
I am in a dilemma worsened by this covid19.

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

All these while squatting, I have been saving via my proceeds from hustles.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.
What do you think please?

bro if ur in enugu.. plz hit me up 08032916720
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 12:14am On May 02, 2020
BuTiku2019:

Don't tar everyone with the same brush.

Only 2 siblings at home.

The friend is a post grad student and rarely stays at home.

.It would have been cheaper for me to stay alone. He drives my car. In fact, I taught him how to drive.

I buy gas, foodstuff etc.

Only if you knew how much I hate to beg, let alone letting people feed me

I started this hustle in school.

It took me 6 years.

I was able to save due to frugal nature. I don't show off, I don't brag. I even stated that my car is rickety valued at 350k.

If I was proud person, maybe I would have bought Camry to chase girls.

I suffered so much growing up. I left those details to reduce length of post.

You may not understand.

I feel like crying typing this.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Hightser: 12:14am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:

I am a graduate male of 29.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k.

Guy, wetin u dey do, I dey shame for myself, same age, graduates too, please tip me na, what's the way?

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by topsquino(m): 12:18am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.

My friend and I are just discussing this.

My friend bought a land 4 years ago in lagos for 2 million naira.

Today the land is valued 4 million naira.

Now let's look at the naira value.

When he bought it, $1 was 200, meaning he bought it $10,000 (2 million / 200).

Today, 1 $ is about 430 naira.

This means the value of the land in dollars is $9302 (4 million /430).

As you can see, he is even better off saving his money in dollars than even buying the land in the first place .

If you need more concrete advice, let me know so that I won't be wasting my time typing here.

13 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 12:20am On May 02, 2020
topsquino:

My friend and I are just discussing this.

My friend bought a land 4 years ago in lagos for 2 million naira.

Today the land is valued 4 million naira.

Now let's look at the naira value.

When he bought it, $1 was 200, meaning he bought it $10,000 (2 million / 200).

Today, 1 $ is about 430 naira.

This means the value of the land in dollars is $9302 (4 million /430).

As you can see, he is even better off saving his money in dollars than even buying the land in the first place .

If you need more concrete advice, let me know so that I won't be wasting my time typing here.

Interesting analysis

I need advice please. Kindly help.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by amaniro: 12:20am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:

You don't necessarily need to travel abroad to figure out your life I always say this. Buy the plot of land.. It's not that cost in eastern region at least not compared to Lagos and Abuja.. Build your personal house. My dad told me you can lose everything in life but not your house. Build your residential house.. Then if there is space remaining in the compound, don't live alone put house up for rent or tenancy. Then the rest of the change remaining you can invest in other resources business like agriculture. Time for masters will come after you finish realising all your money from your investment though it sounds easy but it's not.. You've figured out your life like that. 11million is big money, don't squander it and don't buy car. I know people that misplace priority. House is more important than a car!

3 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by SaintCaleb: 12:21am On May 02, 2020
Invest in forex exchange or crypto currency
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by adeodunsimilolu(f): 12:23am On May 02, 2020
Has several people have advised, buy a piece of land. But I'd advise you hold on the building, houses depreciate but land appreciates. And invest in a business or stocks and shares.

Meanwhile, I work with a real estate company into Agro to Homes project development investment where you can buy a piece of land at a very affordable rate in a promising environment. Not just affordability, we be in charge of the cultivation and sales of the crops at no fee, just a little percentage of the profit as our reward.

So, your land earns you money while it appreciates.

Just a piece. Feel free to send me a mail for more information should you be interested.

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 12:23am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:

Bull crap
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 12:24am On May 02, 2020
Donald3d:
Build you would be glad you did 5 years from now.
Use about 6-7 Million to build, invest half of the rest.
You would have change to invest in a business
11 Million is a lot of money

Follow me on Twitter cool : www.twitter.com/NaijaSteveJobs

U created that bullcrap up dere

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Stay-at-home Order: Lagos Husbands Narrate Experiences / Meet Mariam Nabatanzi Who Has 42 Children: 'Uganda's Most Fertile Woman' / Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.