Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:15 PM

Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? (58837 Views)

Should I Build With Her Or Do It All Alone? / Will You Be Angry With Your Wife If You Discover She's Saving From Upkeep Money? / Husband Dies Saving Wife From Electrocution In Bauchi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by kayprinz(m): 7:34am On May 02, 2020
My advice is to buy a plot of land then use the remaining money to invest on a good business as time goes on you later build on the land
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Futurejoy(f): 7:35am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:
I am in a dilemma worsened by this covid19.

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

All these while squatting, I have been saving via my proceeds from hustles.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.
What do you think please?

Build a house and add a self con for rent.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Wasky101: 7:39am On May 02, 2020
dukeprince50:
If the house u want to build is ur own residential house, I'll advice u to invest that money into different businesses, u can multiply that money by 5 in the next ten years, but if u want to give it out for rent, I'll say u should build it. Ur first priority should be more money. The house, if not for rent will depreciate but land does not.
Also if u haven't figured out what to do with ur life, I'll say u hold that money till u find urself. Don't just run and invest wen u have no idea what to invest on. U can loose everything.Best thing u can do with ur money is to use it and make more money, but do it wisely
Modified.
To those quoting me that house doesn't depreciate, what do u say about the brick houses 20-30years ago or the mud and thatch house during our great grandma's time? Brick house was a hot cake in the 90's, also in late 90's if u have a block house, u are rich, 20years from now Architecture will bring up a new design and glass houses will be as worthy as what block house is today. Be here thinking houses don't depreciate.
Well said, your personal house is not an investment, at best it's a necessary liability.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by acorntree(m): 7:40am On May 02, 2020
afroxyz:
Building a house is an emotional investment. It's just for bragging rights. Well, unless you want to sell it thereafter. If you are hoping to use rent to recoup your investment, e go tey. Buy lands and flip them. If you want to move it mast you can buy, fence then just start a small structure then you sell. Building a house never made anyone rich, it is biz that would.make you rich. When you have enough money just build.one that you and your family would stay.

N.B I hope you were helping you friend with rent. You can't have that amount and not want to pay rent or have. Place of your own. It's like you are taking advantage of him.

Best advice here. Ive learnt this. Most people think building a house for rent will make them comfortable which is false. When you end up with terrible tenants , you will regret for ever building for commercial. Best is buy many land and resell later.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 7:40am On May 02, 2020
Dear secure a landed property first. . #11.7 m is a huge money no be small.. :'
You can also build some little self con join and lease it out.. infact few years from this time you will never regret it... Just erect a structure may not be that extravagant you get that..
And con your travelling out... That is easy.. you will get money from those things you invested in..
And if you want a correct travel agent.. with experience, enter my mail ..
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by afecgivers: 7:45am On May 02, 2020
Wickedfact:

Coronavirus kill you and your humor.

It's very easy to identify depressed people this days. I understand your situation. I believe God will heal you soon. I will also consult my family doctor to recommend a depression drug for you...never mind i will pay and send it to you as soon as i get it. Love u.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Poorboy: 7:45am On May 02, 2020
mtinfx:

Making a million ain't hard
change my moniker then , I wan make am.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by deenee: 7:47am On May 02, 2020
chukzyfcbb:
you have a hustle that you started while in school.

despite the school distraction you were still able to save 11million and yet you are asking what hustle to engage in.

Tell us the truth, are you a Gee boy?

Nobody will make 11million in 6yrs of hustle and still be asking for direction, why not expand the so called hustle abi you be Yahoo boy.

Just a word of advice building a house is a tie down of cash, Jeje buy land fence it and allow it to grow or rent it out to Farmers/block makers while you use the rest to expand your hustle.

You are still young, now is the time to take on risk coz you have the years to recover.

House of 100m here will return a miserly 5-8m on rent, it's fu--cked up really, just buy land and fence it for safety.

First and foremost he is not young at 29. Tony Elumelu became bank MD at 33 years. Late Uncle T of GTB founded GTB alongside Fola Adeola and Segun Agbaje in their early 20s.

Secondly, it is very ok for him to know how to hustle and make money yet without any knowledge and direction about investments and wealth creation.

Finally, i agree with you, building now is not the best optimal investment but will not support purchase of land though at this point.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by covid2019: 7:58am On May 02, 2020
BuTiku2019:

You had people you could SQUAT with, but you chose the path of HONOUR and lived in a 60k place in a suburb.
You are an honourable man.
You did the right thing.
You did not choose to SQUAT at someone else's expense while gathering and saving your own money.

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. IT IS WAY CHEAPER TO STAY ALONE THAN STAY WITH THIS FRIEND.

Without sounding immodest, I am the one helping. And it's not upto years I started staying there.

Squatting is still the word. Maybe I should have said living not squatting, Its 4 rooms and parlor family house.

Only 2 siblings at home.
There is an empty room I use. In fact, I have access to everywhere.
.I spend money there too.

I foot many bills there. In fact the last small renovation cost me circa 200k. It's a family house . No rent is paid.
The friend is a post grad student and rarely stays at home.

.It would have been cheaper for me to stay alone. He drives my car. In fact, I taught him how to drive.

I buy gas, foodstuff etc.

Only if you knew how much I hate to beg, let alone letting people feed me

I started this hustle in school.

It took me 6 years.

I was able to save due to frugal nature. I don't show off, I don't brag. I even stated that my car is rickety valued at 350k.

If I was proud person, maybe I would have bought Camry to chase girls.

I suffered so much growing up. I left those details to reduce length of post.

You may not understand.

I feel like crying typing this.

5 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by madmax2018: 8:11am On May 02, 2020
My advice would be build the house, lease it out and travel abroad with the rest of the money. ✌️
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by nextlevel2020: 8:24am On May 02, 2020
Please bros, I have two advice for you.

1; Move out of this country and have your Masters degree. Doing your masters degree in a country like Canada or UK will land you a better job over there and you will come back to Nigeria to build a house of your choice in the future.

2; I learned you are from Eastern part of this country, that gives you better chance to survive in Business than we westerner, because you guy can squeeze water from stone just to make a business to strive (This is my opinion). On this. I advise you to rent your own apartment and start your business as early as possible. I am telling you from experience, building a house is not longer an achievement these days. Once you have a formidable income, you erect your home in any location of your choice without pressure.

Let me tell you a little about my own predicament. In 2010, I landed a job in one multinational firm and things were moving fine with me, few months later I quickly decided to start building my house and I bought one and half plot of land in Lagos, I made blocks and purchased other building materials. Just for me to start the ground breaking, something serious happen and left the project since 2011 till date. Though, I had acquired another two plots of near where am working and build two bedroom apartment. But the point I want you to know is that, there was one of my friends who used to live with me in my apartment, this guy didn't buy a quarter of land then, all what he did was to save his money and study online course in university of Porthmount. While doing that, people were making jest at him, but as soon as he finished the course, he gained employment with one firm in Australia and that was the beginning of breakthrough for this guy. Now, he is money, in fact last time we talked, he told me to help him make enquiry about how much is the cost of land in Ajah and he is about to start building his own home.

In 2018, he wanted me to do the program he did then and when I made enquiry about how much it will cost me, I was told that I would need minimum of 10 million naira and during his own time dollar was 200 hundred to naira and the program cost him about 5 million naira then, whereas I had spent more than 6 million naira on building and buying land.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by phenol33(m): 8:27am On May 02, 2020
save for another 10 years before u start building, what do u need a small house for na?
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by acorntree(m): 8:33am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:

Don't tar everyone with the same brush. IT IS WAY CHEAPER TO STAY ALONE THAN STAY WITH THIS FRIEND.

Without sounding immodest, I am the one helping. And it's not upto years I started staying there.

Squatting is still the word. Maybe I should have said living not squatting, Its 4 rooms and parlor family house.

Only 2 siblings at home.
There is an empty room I use. In fact, I have access to everywhere.
.I spend money there too.

I foot many bills there. In fact the last small renovation cost me circa 200k. It's a family house . No rent is paid.
The friend is a post grad student and rarely stays at home.

.It would have been cheaper for me to stay alone. He drives my car. In fact, I taught him how to drive.

I buy gas, foodstuff etc.

Only if you knew how much I hate to beg, let alone letting people feed me

I started this hustle in school.

It took me 6 years.

I was able to save due to frugal nature. I don't show off, I don't brag. I even stated that my car is rickety valued at 350k.

If I was proud person, maybe I would have bought Camry to chase girls.

I suffered so much growing up. I left those details to reduce length of post.

You may not understand.

I feel like crying typing this.

OP. Don't waste your money building a house for rent for now except you want to reside in it. The money you will recouped from it, is nothing to what you've spent. Invest this money in other things that can fetch you multiples of your capital. You can buy land and resell. This is still viable.Do your research very well,so that you don't lose your capital.11m can set you straight for better life.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Clem50: 8:38am On May 02, 2020
People are hungry you are here talking what may not even be true hisssssss Continue saving your money
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Engrgreg231(m): 8:43am On May 02, 2020
Bro get a and and develop it even if it's a one bedroom twin flat and a single room self contain even if it will depreciate in future you must have gotten your money back
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Engrgreg231(m): 8:47am On May 02, 2020
nextlevel2020:
Please bros, I have two advice for you.

1; Move out of this country and have your Masters degree. Doing your masters degree in a country like Canada or UK will land you a better job over there and you will come back to Nigeria to build a house of your choice in the future.

2; I learned you are from Eastern part of this country, that gives you better chance to survive in Business than we westerner, because you guy can squeeze water from stone just to make a business to strive (This is my opinion). On this. I advise you to rent your own apartment and start your business as early as possible. I am telling you from experience, building a house is not longer an achievement these days. Once you have a formidable income, you erect your home in any location of your choice without pressure.

Let me tell you a little about my own predicament. In 2010, I landed a job in one multinational firm and things were moving fine with me, few months later I quickly decided to start building my house and I bought one and half plot of land in Lagos, I made blocks and purchased other building materials. Just for me to start the ground breaking, something serious happen and left the project since 2011 till date. Though, I had acquired another two plots of near where am working and build two bedroom apartment. But the point I want you to know is that, there was one of my friends who used to live with me in my apartment, this guy didn't buy a quarter of land then, all what he did was to save his money and study online course in university of Porthmount. While doing that, people were making jest at him, but as soon as he finished the course, he gained employment with one firm in Australia and that was the beginning of breakthrough for this guy. Now, he is money, in fact last time we talked, he told me to help him make enquiry about how much is the cost of land in Ajah and he is about to start building his own home.

In 2018, he wanted me to do the program he did then and when I made enquiry about how much it will cost me, I was told that I would need minimum of 10 million naira and during his own time dollar was 200 hundred to naira and the program cost him about 5 million naira then, whereas I had spent more than 6 million naira on building and buying land.

also note that what works for mr A may not work for mr B

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by SomoriiN: 8:50am On May 02, 2020
adanny01:

My own.

If you die today, na bankers go chop your money.

There are 2 things you must not do;

1. You must not waste or lose this money you already have

2. You must not miss the important thing about life, which is living a good and comfortable life (You have earned it)

How will you achieve that;

1. Keep on with the legitimate business that gave you that money. If at 29 you amassed 11m, at 39 you should have 10times what you have. If what you did for the money was illegal, hmmm, that is difficult because most illegal money ends up bad. But try a legitimate business and hope for the best.

2. I think having such money and living with someone who may not have such money is unfair. Get your place. You don't have to build. Don't ever look at rent as a waste.

3. Pls upgrade your car. Don't go expensive but get what is portable, functional, trendy and reliable.

4. Don't put money on any single thing (business or otherwise that is up to 25% of you net Worth and don't make a budget that is up to 50% of you net worth. You must always have something to fall back to.

5. Take time to analyze any spending and never rush in buying anything.

In summary, I am saying you must enjoy your money at the same time do not eat all of it.

There are alot of Igbos in my area who have suddenly realized that building a duplex in the village is just being foolish when they live in slums in the city.

Get yourself even a room and palour, put AC and nice things. Continue your hustle.

When you eventually marry and have kids remember you only owe them food, shelter, education and training till they graduate. You are not responsible for their inheritance so don't bother. If you bother about leaving inheritance, you will never enjoy your life and you would have missed very important things about life. Money is not everything but money makes life good. There no essence of making money if you cant spend it on yourself.
Sound!
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by DECC: 8:52am On May 02, 2020
Buy four cheap plots of land at ibeju lekki @600k each... Use the rest to buy a land for no more than 2m and erect a bungalow of two mini flats... ..in a few years time ..the lekki properties can set you up for life.. if you wait long enough ..you can sell two to build two... Or sell one to build one...while having reserves..
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by soodiq91: 8:55am On May 02, 2020
It depend on your location, build a house and start new life there, even if u still want to travel out u can still sell the house and make profit , mind you travelling out of the country does not make u millionaire millionaire
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by bolaji3071(m): 8:59am On May 02, 2020
mtinfx:

Making a million ain't hard
I won't mind to learn from you how I can make mine sir, so far it is legit.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by adetayoonas(m): 9:04am On May 02, 2020
ketu4:
Hope your friend knows you have all this money in your account while you are squatting with him

That's a good point. The op should leave his friend's house and go and rent at least a room self contained. He can then later move from his own room to his house.
Leaving your squatting status to your own house is a bad idea which if your friend found out won't be happy. You probably must have been putting him in an inconvenient status without him complaining. This will give u dignity and respect regardless of your friend's wish.

As for the 11m, rent a single room with at least 100k to 200k per year and stop being a squatter. This is a very small fraction of the money.
This will make your friend happy.
You are left with 10.8 or 10.9m.
Treasury bill and fixed deposits have crashed.
Don't put your eggs in one basket.
Start a viable business with 4m.
Invest 2.8m or 2.9m in your side hustle that brings about this 11m
You still have 4m left.
God bless you as you plan ahead.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by timsucess(m): 9:07am On May 02, 2020
covid2019:
I am in a dilemma worsened by this covid19.

I am a graduate male of 29 residing in the East. I still squat with a friend, not because I don't have money for house rent. But principally because I have been unable to figure out what I want to do with my life, hence renting a house feels like a commitment that might get me stuck.

I always feel I might move anytime soon-- to either another state or abroad for masters or just practice of my profession. Note that I didn't study a STEM course.

All these while squatting, I have been saving via my proceeds from hustles.

In the wake of this COVID19, I checked all my banks and found out that money I have in my account has lost so much value given the dollar rate.

I have 11.4 million, inclusive of my working capital, plus a rickety car valued at 350k. Each time, I need just 3-5m as working capital.

It seems that trying to save more is false economy and might be counter productive.

NOW, I AM CONSIDERING buying a plot of land and erecting a small house even if it's 3 rooms. This, I think will serve as investment that will keep appreciating and also serve as residence.

Or just open a domiciliary account to hedge against naira fall and continue saving.
What do you think please?

Nwanne please introduce me to your hustle
Am a graduate too in the east
Please help me

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by chigo5(m): 9:20am On May 02, 2020
cole01:

The friends complain give you.... U don't even know the kind of relationship they have but u just concluded
guy if na u dey pay house rent and u come kn say person way u dey house geh millions stack somewhere how u go feel? the guy suppose dey help out even if na 20 or 30 percent contribution, las las the guy na parasite
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Nobody: 9:26am On May 02, 2020
bolaji3071:
I won't mind to learn from you how I can make mine sir, so far it is legit.

you have to learn online
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by pocohantas(f): 9:29am On May 02, 2020
dukeprince50:

Modified.
To those quoting me that house doesn't depreciate, what do u say about the brick houses 20-30years ago or the mud and thatch house during our great grandma's time? Brick house was a hot cake in the 90's, also in late 90's if u have a block house, u are rich, 20years from now Architecture will bring up a new design and glass houses will be as worthy as what block house is today. Be here thinking houses don't depreciate.

When people say houses don’t depreciate, they are not talking of the physical structure/design. They are talking of the land.

Yes, it most times appreciates. In fact, in accounting, land can NEVER be depreciated as a fixed asset. However, when its value depreciates, it isn’t because it was built with bricks- but other reasons (e.g) security issues in its geographical location, flooding...etc.

Just like Apapa was once a cool spot, now landlords are begging tenants to rent. Nobody depreciates the value of a house (after years) because it was built with bricks.

If I built a bungalow on Ademola Tokunbo, Victoria Island, years ago, I will still sell it hundreds of millions to a bank or the HQ of any company today. They will buy the land and its premium location- NOT MY BUNGALOW!!

Please don’t get it twisted.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by dukeprince50: 9:35am On May 02, 2020
pocohantas:

When people say houses don’t depreciate, they are not talking of the physical structure/design. They are talking of the land.

Yes, it most times appreciates. Even when it depreciates, it isn’t because it was built with bricks- but other reasons (e.g) security issues in its geographical location, flooding...etc.

Just like Apapa was once a cool spot, now landlords are begging tenants to rent. Nobody depreciates the value of a house (after years) because it was built with bricks.

If I built a bungalow on Ademola Tokunbo, Victoria Island, years ago, I will still sell it hundreds of millions to a bank or the HQ of any company today. They will buy the land and its premium location- NOT MY BUNGALOW!!

Please don’t get it twisted.
madam, with time the house will depreciate and new designs will come, people will demolish their old houses and build new ones on same land, try build a bungalow in lekki phase1 and after forty years, sell it as same value u built it with. House is always a liability not an asset, except the house brings ur money.
A residential house doesn't provide money, infact u spend money for maintenance. fifty years ago, we have mud houses and they cost quite a fortune but today nobody will dare sell a mud house, it has depreciate it has no value anymore

1 Like

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by brandable: 9:37am On May 02, 2020
mtinfx:

In my field which is the financial markets
You can make that through trading
The following

Fractional shares
Margin trading
Indices

By also investing in
Staking, arbitrage etc.

Can you talk more on the bold please.
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Blueface01: 9:39am On May 02, 2020
You can build the house and shops for rent ,invest in agrobusiness.. And use the renaming to japa(run) from naija .
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by pocohantas(f): 9:40am On May 02, 2020
dukeprince50:
madam, with time the house will depreciate and new designs will come, people will demolish their old houses and build new ones on same land, try build a bungalow in lekki phase1 and after forty years, sell it as same value u built it with. House is always a liability not an asset, except the house brings ur money.
A residential house doesn't provide money, infact u spend money for maintenance. fifty years ago, we have mud houses and they cost quite a fortune but today nobody will dare sell a mud house, it has depreciate it has no value anymore

1. No land depreciates because of design. Land depreciates for other manmade or natural reasons, never DESIGNS!!!

2. House is NEVER a liability. It is a fixed asset. A highly appreciable FIXED ASSET.

3. If a mud house is in a choice location. It will be sold at a HIGH COST!

4. If you build a bungalow in Lekki Phase1 today, all things being equal, factoring in time/future value of money- it MUST APPRECIATE in 40yrs time. It never depreciates. Don’t go say this to a seasoned accountant, you will get whooped in the ass.

Land doesn’t depreciate, never because of DESIGNS and ARCHITECTURE.

Please stop speaking on things you know nothing about with beer parlor logic.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by Wickedfact: 9:43am On May 02, 2020
dukeprince50:

You definitely don't understand what depreciation in real estate means.

Between a new Duplex on half plot in Ikoyi and 2 plots in Ikoyi, which would cost more?
Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by pocohantas(f): 9:44am On May 02, 2020
Wickedfact:

You definitely don't understand what depreciation in real estate means.

Between a new Duplex on half plot in Ikoyi and 2 plots in Ikoyi, which would cost more?

Dude is just talking shit!!!

Like who da fck speaks on depreciation/appreciation of fixed asset like that. This is what happens when an engineer attempts accounting. grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Do I Build A Small House Now Or Keep Saving? by judondasylva(m): 9:53am On May 02, 2020
To me I would advice you to use half of that money and buy land in any of the major cities in the east since you reside there you can see land of 1.5m in Awka in one year time it will double the price. Then use the rest money to start a block industry in the land I bet you will thank me later. For the land In Awka if you need i can give you some contacts that can help you

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

My Brother-In-Law Dips His Hands Inside My Pot Of Soup / Meet Mariam Nabatanzi Who Has 42 Children: 'Uganda's Most Fertile Woman' / Stay-at-home Order: Lagos Husbands Narrate Experiences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.