Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? (133142 Views)

Textbook Teaching Kids About Gender Roles (Pictured) / Textbook Explains Cultism With Don Jazzy, D'banj, Wande Coal (Mo'hits Group Pic / What Is The Best Mathematics Textbook For SS3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 1:45pm On May 03, 2020
clemmonce:
It gives the body balance. Simple.
is that what you will teach a pry1 kid?

clap for your self

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 1:46pm On May 03, 2020
KingAzubuike:

Exactly what I was trying to even type before I came across your post. They probably expected him to say something like the head is divided into 14 bones which are 2-zygomatic, 2-maxillary, 2-palatine, 2-nasal, 2-lacrimal, vomer, 2-inferior conchae, mandible and one of which it's functions includes the support of some endocrine glands like the hypothalamus which connects to the thalamus which is within the cranium . grin

Funny, but truth be told, nobody expected him to say something like that. I might not agree with those beating down the author but it's archaic and kinda backward telling kids that the function of the human head is for carrying load. That the head is used for carrying load doesn't mean that is it's function.

2 Likes

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by chocboi78(m): 1:47pm On May 03, 2020
sophiathefirst:

There is a school I know, if u teach this nonsense to her students, the owner will sack the teacher. No long talk. Even me self won't tolerate such. Which one is the head is for carrying load. Like really!?
Why not make it simple with what they can relate with for Primary 1 or 2, like
The Head is a part of the body. It carries the eyes, the nose, the ears, the mouth and the hair. The teacher will make them to touch their head, and the other parts of their head.
simple and short....i was taught same in primary one and it makes sense till today.....
If the head is for carrying load, what are wheelbarrows car bonnets, carts for??
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by piphat(m): 1:47pm On May 03, 2020
[quote author=Niggmatic post=89138068]

Nothing like village curriculum. Look around you, alot of people still carry load on their head.

Education should be all inclusive for a country to develop. It's practical.

You can't be talking about spacecraft when you don't even know how a wheelbarrow looks like.

@the bolded jare,
thanks, you too jare
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 1:47pm On May 03, 2020
Rgade:
This is the book buhari used in his primary school.

grin grin grin
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by VaselineCrew: 1:49pm On May 03, 2020
The fact that many people are even justifying this

I give up on Naija matter

3 Likes

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by VaselineCrew: 1:49pm On May 03, 2020
Other kids are already using Ipad when young, but here, nairalanders agree that the head is for carrying load.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:54pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

The textbook says "function ". So you have your answer.

No, I don't have my answer.

What would you have written if you were the writer of the book?

That is the answer I am looking for.

In Europe, backs are used for carrying loads. I am sure that at a certain period in their education, the pupils don't immediately get taught that the back houses the spine. Children learn about uses. It makes it easier that way. The textbook says functions, but the pupils are to learn by the usage of the specific body part.

Learning is a gradual process.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 1:55pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

nt necessary the primary function,bt what they can get easily.

as times goes on,they will be expose more

Since it's not all children that have used their heads to carryoads, it can't be a function especially a universal function. Except you are saying African heads are for carrying loads.

I would rather expose my children to the universal and acceptable function of the head from scratch, rather than what one village headmaster says.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Investnow2017: 1:56pm On May 03, 2020
sureteeboy:

If head is used for thinking, what is the brain used for?
We need to understand how learning works at the elementary level before criticising any thing we see.
When we were in the nursery school, we can easily work with basic addition and subtraction, e.g, 1 + 2 = 3. 2 - 1 = 1.
But when it comes to subtraction like 1-2, they taught us it is impossible, until we got to JSS1 Where we learnt about number line.

In Elementary classes, we were taught that there are 5 sense organs, there are 3 states of matter.
We were also taught that the sun is the centre of our solar system and it doesn't move.
We all know now that those things are incorrect, but the basic purpose is just to give us the idea of what those things are.
If that textbook is written for Nursery or Primary 1 students, then ai don't see any thing wrong with that. By the time they get to higher classes, they'll learn about more functions of the head

While your argument is plausible, in this day and age, nah, nah, nah. Why not say, the head is the part of your body you wear your CAP! That will be universally acceptable!
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by chocboi78(m): 1:57pm On May 03, 2020
afribabe:
so u expected him to grab the bed or wardrobe....

Besides I gave that details in response to the person that called me a liar. Was trying to give the full gist of what happened when I was asking the boy....

I don't have the intention of making him see the head as for carrying load, so there's no need explaining to him that the phone is not a load. I won't want a case where he'll want to start trying out varieties of load on his head out of curiousity.

Thank you
kai....i like u i swear...wisdom wan choke u
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 1:58pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

Since it's not all children that have used their heads to carryoads, it can't be a function especially a universal function. Except you are saying African heads are for carrying loads.

I would rather expose my children to the universal and acceptable function of the head from scratch, rather than what one village headmaster says.
good.
what is that universal and acceptable function of the head?
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by supernigga(m): 1:58pm On May 03, 2020
Eulalia:

This is Africa and its been part of our culture. Should we throw away our cultural heritage values because of the white man culture and ways of life?

Ok, let me ask you, did YOU not carry load on your head?
I don't think carrying loads on the head is part of any culture, people do it mostly because there's no alternative like carriage or when the load is too heavy for the hands. There are some things you don't teach in school and carry load on the head is one of those, carrying loads as alot of disadvantage to the brain and human growth generally. So they should instead be taught things people do daily that are dangerous to the body.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 1:58pm On May 03, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

No, I don't have my answer.

What would you have written if you were the writer of the book?

That is the answer I am looking for.

In Europe, backs are used for carrying loads. I am sure that at a certain period in their education, the pupils don't immediately get taught that the back houses the spine. Children learn about uses. It makes it easier that way. The textbook says functions, but the pupils are to learn by the usage of the specific body part.

Learning is a gradual process.

Item: Head
Function: It houses the brain
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 1:59pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

good.
what is that universal and acceptable function of the head?

Not carrying load
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by sureteeboy(m): 2:01pm On May 03, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Guy i hope u have grabbed ur calling and not pursuing one nonsense programming career which is not meant for u..
Am serious oo
Lol. Any field that guarantees influx of cash is my calling o grin
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ajl: 2:01pm On May 03, 2020
It could mean mental load. Abi your head no they dey heavy when you use am carry the personal problems around you. For example, Nigerians use their head to carry the loads of problems of Nigeria. Thats why most Nigerians are acting like a mad man in an open asylum. See how people for Lagos dey act atimes.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Adakintroy2: 2:01pm On May 03, 2020
He is talking about functions as neutrals. Can the head carry load. Yes! So its a function. That it does not appeak to your senses that way does not make it false.

A shoe is first to keep your sole from bruise. However ugly it may be, that is its primary function. It's not for beauty or complimenting dressing.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 2:03pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

Not carrying load
you've said that before.
what is ur own universal function?
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by clemmonce(m): 2:04pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

is that what you will teach a pry1 kid?

clap for your self
so the best option is to tell them The Head is used for carrying load. Really ? Load ? In Europe do you think they use the head for carrying load ? It is absurd.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by sureteeboy(m): 2:05pm On May 03, 2020
Investnow2017:

While your argument is plausible, in this day and age, nah, nah, nah. Why not say, the head is the part of your body you wear your CAP! That will be universally acceptable!
Yea, I get. But the thing is,
1) We don't know what class the textbook is meant for
2) Well don't even know when it was written.
If the book was written for Nursery students, it's not out of place to tell them that the head is used for carrying load, especially if those students being taught actually reside in rural areas where they see adults carrying water kegs up and down grin
It would instead be erroneous if the writer of the textbook had assigned a function for head which it's never used for in reality. Hope you get my point.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 2:06pm On May 03, 2020
Arkmanbuddy:

Guy, you're not making any sense at all. Stop being a hypocrite, who hasn't used their head to carry load before? Let's stop trying to be more Western that the west.
Head protects the brain my foot!

I haven't carried anything on my head before, I always carry things on my shoulder or hands.

If I'm a school teacher, can I now teach kids that the shoulder is used for carrying things?

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by supernigga(m): 2:06pm On May 03, 2020
Eulalia:

This is Africa and its been part of our culture. Should we throw away our cultural heritage values because of the white man culture and ways of life?

Ok, let me ask you, did YOU not carry load on your head?
I don't think carrying loads on the head is part of any culture, people do it mostly because there's no alternative like carriage or when the load is too heavy for the hands. There are some things you don't teach in school and carry load on the head is one of those, carrying loads as alot of disadvantage to the brain and human growth generally. So they should instead be taught things people do daily that are dangerous to the body. And answering your question I used until I realized the disadvantages like hair loss, affects blood flow to the brain, affects body posture etc. A child should not be taught such just like other things you can do with your hands, you don't learn how to fistfight in school.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by okooloyun1(m): 2:08pm On May 03, 2020
grin grin

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 2:08pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

you've said that before.

what is ur own universal function?

Why not research it? Google, textbooks, papers....

If you find anywhere where it says, the function of the head is for carrying load, let's start from there

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 03, 2020
sureteeboy:

If head is used for thinking, what is the brain used for?
We need to understand how learning works at the elementary level before criticising any thing we see.
When we were in the nursery school, we can easily work with basic addition and subtraction, e.g, 1 + 2 = 3. 2 - 1 = 1.
But when it comes to subtraction like 1-2, they taught us it is impossible, until we got to JSS1 Where we learnt about number line.

In Elementary classes, we were taught that there are 5 sense organs, there are 3 states of matter.
We were also taught that the sun is the centre of our solar system and it doesn't move.
We all know now that those things are incorrect, but the basic purpose is just to give us the idea of what those things are.
If that textbook is written for Nursery or Primary 1 students, then ai don't see any thing wrong with that. By the time they get to higher classes, they'll learn about more functions of the head

am surprised many people are not engaging this fellow

this the best response have seen since covid 19 started
you have a calling

2 Likes

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 2:11pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

Why not research it? Google, textbooks, papers....

If you find anywhere where it says, the function of the head is for carrying load, let's start from there
moral lesson: dont condemn others when you have nothing to offer.
shalom
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Danniedpastor(m): 2:11pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

you knw nthg or little abt teaching.
am sure d text is for pry1 or pry2 class.
for their level,thats the best their brain can assimilate easily.
the author needs to come down to their level

That text book is actually very old. I came across it when I was a child. Even then I was not comfortable with that information.

I believe a better edition of the same book has been published.

Stay blessed

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by sureteeboy(m): 2:12pm On May 03, 2020
Kaysalas:

While I understand your line of thought, I still see a whole lot wrong with the use of the head as stated in the textbook. is carrying load on the head a universally recognised function of the head?
You will agree with me, it is not. It has always been the less developed cultures around the world/primitive man who has always seen this as the function of the head.
In this age and time, the head is used for thinking.
Forget the brain, it's an important component of the head wink
Yes, I got your point. What I'm just trying to say is, people still carry loads with head here in Africa, especially in areas where there is water scarcity, you'll see people fetching water from nearby compounds and transporting it on their head home.
So, I think it's not out of place to tell nursery students that the head is used for carrying load, especially when it's not stated that it's the only function the head is used for. As the students progress in learning, they'll learn about the real function of the head that might be too complex for their young minds to understand.
The way I can just fault the textbook is if it is directed to students in the primary section and above. Then it will be grossly misleading.
Hope you get my point.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 2:13pm On May 03, 2020
BluntTheApostle:

Alright, what do you believe to be what we use our heads for?

Mind you, what we use our heads for is different from the functions of our heads.

For example, we can't use our heads to house our brains. However, one function of our head is that it houses the brain.

So, how do you teach this to kids of that certain level?

The attached picture was talking about function, not uses.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 2:15pm On May 03, 2020
Truth be told, teaching elementary school kids that carrying load is the function of the head is primitive, backward and plainly archaic. Yes, the head is used to carry things in many places but that isn't ideal, and such practice is mostly seen in rural and uncivilized places. That's one of the things people use their heads for, but that's not it's function. The function of the head isn't to carry things, the human head isn't even adapted to carry things and that shouldn't be taught to children. If there's any part of the body that's meant to carry load, it's the hand not the head.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by SirRoberto(m): 2:17pm On May 03, 2020
So many people arguing if the author is right or wrong. Let me try and make my point about this as clear as possible.

Can the head be used to carry load? Of course YES. The structure of the skull and neck enables it to do so.
Can the head be used to butt a person with the head during a fight? Of course YES. The structure of the skull enables it to do so
Can the head be used to think, of course YES, the brain enables this
Can the head be used to head ball, of course YES, the structure of the skull enables this

So there are many things we can use the head to do. If the author isn't stating many of these uses and decide to choose a primary use of the head for a child (even though the age range of the pupil the textbook was not stated). Then it is best he chooses a universally accepted one.

This textbook must have been printed a long time ago or used in a local school. Authors sometimes make mistake or don't use the best of options in producing their work. It doesn't mean the author isn't good at his field.

So he would have been specific as thus: "Some people use the head to carry items". "We can also use the head to head ball". "We all use our head to think"

The argument that it is the brain that is used to think and is different from the head doesn't hold water because the brain is part of the head and it is the skull that helps carry the load which is also part of the head.

So to go with a universally accepted answer as a primary purpose wouldn't be carrying load.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2017/2018 Post UTME /admission Thread / How To Prepare A Lesson Plan / Covenant University 2015/2016 Session Aspirants Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.