Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,134 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? (133137 Views)

Textbook Teaching Kids About Gender Roles (Pictured) / Textbook Explains Cultism With Don Jazzy, D'banj, Wande Coal (Mo'hits Group Pic / What Is The Best Mathematics Textbook For SS3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 2:18pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

moral lesson: dont condemn others when you have nothing to offer.
shalom

This your moral has no head in our discussion.

I guess you couldn't just resist the urge to use it regardless.

What you teach your child is what sticks. If you want to teach your child that the head is used for carrying load, no problem. I will teach mine that it houses the brain and works as processing centre along with the organs like the eyes, ears, etc for the body.

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by chocboi78(m): 2:18pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

you've said that before.

what is ur own universal function?

u hv read up to the 9th page and still haven't seen enough function??

The primary function of the head is that it houses the eye, nose, mouth and ears...

The head was never meant for carrying load please, storage carts, wheelbarrows cranes, car bonneth etc are used for carrying load

Lets be properly guided
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Beedude(m): 2:18pm On May 03, 2020
Seems we have so many dull indomie generation kids here.
Teaching methodology, Syllabus might have change in recent years base on civilization and exposure but that doesn't mean the author is foolish or a dunce. Even up till date we see people with load on the head in our enviroment unless u aren't a Nigerian or African.
Though in present day, our kids are more exposed to the internet, dstv cartoons and other computerised digital tools at a very young age.
As at the time the book was written, carrying of LOADS on the HEAD was a NORM. If u are above 30yrs u will understand
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 2:19pm On May 03, 2020
clemmonce:
so the best option is to tell them The Head is used for carrying load. Really ? Load ? In Europe do you think they use the head for carrying load ? It is absurd.
did you think a pry1 pupil wil understand ur view?
you knw the answer is NO.

Those class(pry1 and pry2) are elementary class.
that doesnt mean carrying load is d best answer,bt atleast they wil gt that easily.

as times goes on,they wil be more expose.

wil u tell a pry2 kids that 2 + 3 x 2 = 8?(bodmas) NO.
I Will mark it if he choose 10 as an answer.
for his/her level,he tried
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by chocboi78(m): 2:21pm On May 03, 2020
samyd1:

am surprised many people are not engaging this fellow

this the best response have seen since covid 19 started
you have a calling
it doesnt justify carrying load as a function of the head
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bkool7(m): 2:22pm On May 03, 2020
Randal:
I'll go to the school and request for refund and then withdraw my child from there.

Let's be practical

In Africa and even India, what's the head mostly used for.
Though it wasn't designed for carrying load but even you ( or ur mum) must admit you've used itfor that b4
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by sylve11: 2:23pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

you knw nthg or little abt teaching.
am sure d text is for pry1 or pry2 class.
for their level,thats the best their brain can assimilate easily.
the author needs to come down to their level

hmmm cool
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by sylve11: 2:24pm On May 03, 2020
turawaa:
The Author targeted the age bracket of Primary 1 & 2 pupils because that what they easily understand at that age Not for Marlians and Titans with mentality of "Education is a Scam".

Please learn to respect Author of any book, even it's a page.

Thanks

Sense... cool
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bkool7(m): 2:25pm On May 03, 2020
Kaysalas:

Thinking!
Use your head bro!
Remember the saying?

The brain is used for thinking.
The head houses the brain. In this case we'll take the skill as the head, so it's function is to protect the brain and gives the body a structure
But in underdeveloped world it also serves the purpose of carrying load
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Arkmanbuddy(m): 2:28pm On May 03, 2020
LordShiva97:

I haven't carried anything on my head before, I always carry things on my shoulder or hands.

If I'm a school teacher, can I now teach kids that the shoulder is used for carrying things?

Now ask yourself, walking around in this country, how do most people, especially market men and women, carry things? That is what these kids see everyday, and that is what a good teacher will use to teach them.

What if the question was: name any farm tool you know? Wouldn't you be shocked if any of the kids mentioned drones? That is correct, buy that's not what they see everyday. Period!
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by OlawaleBammie: 2:32pm On May 03, 2020
sureteeboy:

Lol. Any field that guarantees influx of cash is my calling o grin

One field gives influx of cash to mr A doesn't mean it wil b same with mr B..

Shalom!!
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LeoFish92(m): 2:33pm On May 03, 2020
OlawaleBammie:

Wen i first read it, i was like
The children of the influentials dat dont know how to use head carry load wil b like..

1st ajebuter:- How do dey use head in carrying load
2nd butter:- Seriously i dont knw, let ask chukwudi

Butters:- Chukwudi, how do dey use head carry load??

Chwukudi(kpako):- U put am for ur head na

Butter:- u mean like a payloader??

Chukwudi:- wetin b payloader U mean basia wey dem dey use carry banga from farm?

Butters:- What is banga shocked shocked shocked shocked

Chukwudi:- banga na banga na, banga no get two names, banga na banga

Butters:- English name pls!!

Chukwudi:- BANGA.

LMAO, my ribs o
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Labinto9: 2:34pm On May 03, 2020
I will burn the book. And then change his/her school.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bobkezel(m): 2:35pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

If the first thing that comes to mind is to carry load, there is something fundamental wrong with my people
my brother be frank with me, tell me the first thing that comes to your mind....
What is head used for bro?
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bobkezel(m): 2:38pm On May 03, 2020
Denique:

For carrying load grin
lols yeye

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Oyiboman69: 2:39pm On May 03, 2020
Dreyton36:

I like this guy, you know I'm just kidding
Not like I don't know what's right and what's wrong
But since assholes here take life too serious
Take every little thing too serious
While they're badmouthing me, I'm busy laughing hard cuz it's fun to me
Nigeria's stress is enough for me not to create happiness and laughter for myself
ANYWAY MY GUY YOU ARE A SEGUN ARINZE cheesy grin grin
Long Belle for you...

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bellenornor(f): 2:40pm On May 03, 2020
Yes, apple grows in my hometown and that was the apple I had in mind when I was in KG
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by IduNaOba: 2:40pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

its obvious u knw little about teaching.
for u to tell that to a pry1 pupil,u need to start by teaching the pupil what the brain is and the function of the brain. Which i think is too much for that class
Are you a teacher?
Mehn e hard o
I am doing post graduate diploma in education and I understand you well well.
Omo I am finding it hard grin
Micro teaching no be here

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by ImaIma1(f): 2:41pm On May 03, 2020
bobkezel:

my brother be frank with me, tell me the first thing that comes to your mind....
What is head used for bro?

In all honesty, carrying load is not the first thing that comes to mind
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LordShiva97(m): 2:41pm On May 03, 2020
Arkmanbuddy:

Now ask yourself, walking around in this country, how do most people, especially market men and women, carry things? That is what these kids see everyday, and that is what a good teacher will use to teach them.

What if the question was: name any farm tool you know? Wouldn't you be shocked if any of the kids mentioned drones? That is correct, buy that's not what they see everyday. Period!

There's a big difference between use and function. Function is the natural purpose of a thing, the natural reason a thing was designed for or fashioned to do. Carrying load isn't the function of the human head, the human head didn't evolve to carry load.

Yes, it's a very common sight to see people carrying things on their head in many parts of Nigeria but that still doesn't make it the function of the head, common usage isn't the same as function.

Is drone a farm tool?

1 Like

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by lytech1(m): 2:43pm On May 03, 2020
IduNaOba:
Are you a teacher? Mehn e hard o I am doing post graduate diploma in education and I understand you well well. Omo I am finding it hard grin Micro teaching no be here
smile
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by tonapuck: 2:45pm On May 03, 2020
oldtruth:

So, your phone is a load?

Don't mind him, I can't see someone who actually studied education opposed that man. The author wasn't wrong. Even if his child wasn't intelligent enough to realise head can be use to carry load doesn't disproved the fact that it can.

And I noticed few nairalanded are intelligent, hence they follow the trend of first 3 to 5 comments even if the comments were wrong.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Dollabiz: 2:46pm On May 03, 2020
Hmmm
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Krixon: 2:47pm On May 03, 2020
But I don't see anything wrong hoooo. The head is actually for carrying load
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by bobkezel(m): 2:48pm On May 03, 2020
ImaIma1:

In all honesty, carrying load is not the first thing that comes to mind
good, then tell me, what is head used for?
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by hotplate: 2:55pm On May 03, 2020
when i first saw it i laughed but after i critically tought of it i asked what truly is the head use for? and then i figured that the author could be right, we talk with our mouth doesn't mean one of the function of the mouth is not also for eating
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by whyom09: 2:57pm On May 03, 2020
oldtruth:

You are still sounding confused. What is her used for? And who told you white people don't carry loads on their head?

IN ALL PARTS OF THE WORLD, EXCEPT WESTERN EUROPE AND NORTH AMERICA HUMAN BEINGS USE THE HEAD TO CARRY LOADS. WESTERN EUROPEANS AND NORTH AMERICANS ALSO CARRY LOADS ON THE BODY - ON THE BACK USING BACK PACKS.
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Investnow2017: 3:03pm On May 03, 2020
sureteeboy:

Yea, I get. But the thing is,
1) We don't know what class the textbook is meant for
2) Well don't even know when it was written.
If the book was written for Nursery students, it's not out of place to tell them that the head is used for carrying load, especially if those students being taught actually reside in rural areas where they see adults carrying water kegs up and down grin
It would instead be erroneous if the writer of the textbook had assigned a function for head which it's never used for in reality. Hope you get my point.

My contention is that while it may not be wrong in one's verbal illustration in the classroom assuming you are within a location where that is popular, in a textbook, I still do not agree.

True, every good teacher tries to use illustrations that his audience can relate with BUT in a textbook care must be taken to ensure that every illustration possesses characters that have a universal appeal.

Like I suggested, why not say: "The HEAD is that part of the body we wear our cap". No where will this be subject to ambiguity.

That example portrayed in that book is the work of a lazy writer.

I agree with you though and I do see your point but classroom settings and textbook reality must be closely guided. While a classroom setting may be somewhat informal and casual, the textbook is a true representation of the heart and flavour of the curriculum. It must always be formal.

2 Likes

Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by LiveLifeHub(m): 3:12pm On May 03, 2020
lytech1:

you knw nthg or little abt teaching.
am sure d text is for pry1 or pry2 class.
for their level,thats the best their brain can assimilate easily.
the author needs to come down to their level

thanks for this comment, as if most of them didn't carry load on their heads when young.

most misunderstood your comment cos you used "the author needs to come down to their level", I will suggest "the author had to come down to their level"
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 03, 2020
For fetching water gringrin
bobkezel:
All of you saying you will sue the school. Pls answer me, what is head used for?
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by tonapuck: 3:18pm On May 03, 2020
Investnow2017:

My contention is that while it may not be wrong in one's verbal illustration in the classroom assuming you are within a location where that is popular, in a textbook, I still do not agree.

True, every good teacher tries to use illustrations that his audience can relate with BUT in a textbook care must be taken to ensure that every illustration possesses characters that have a universal appeal.

Like I suggested, why not say: "The HEAD is that part of the body we wear our cap". No where will this be subject to ambiguity.

That example portrayed in that book is the work of a lazy writer.

I agree with you though and I do see your point but classroom settings and textbook reality must be closely guided. While a classroom setting may be somewhat informal and casual, the textbook is a true representation of the heart and flavour of the curriculum. It must always be formal.

How is wearing cap helping you? You have a lite load that is much for the hand to handle then you put on your head, that wasn't to hard understand. That can't be said to wearing cap
Re: If You See Your Child With This Textbook What Will You Do? by CheedyJ(m): 3:23pm On May 03, 2020
bobkezel:
All of you saying you will sue the school. Pls answer me, what is head used for?
For nodding I guess ,lol..

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Osun State University (UNIOSUN ) 2017/2018 Post UTME /admission Thread / How To Prepare A Lesson Plan / Covenant University 2015/2016 Session Aspirants Lets Meet Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.