Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,324 members, 7,819,111 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42167 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Jokerman(m): 7:08am On May 07, 2020
Chuky7:

it's like you went through hell...

What's this for"simulation and design softwares"

AutoCAD
ANSYS
Mathlab
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 7:12am On May 07, 2020
The sad part about this thread is that unintellectuals r the most here , people who got no value for education, some might even be fraudsters, but to fellow intellectuals, if u hv the money to futher ur education , please do it without hesitation.
Life is about improving ones self , MSC is a great achievement , the world is aware of this , just that Nigeria is in a mess . But that shouldn’t limit you from improving urself . U might be among the large amount of lucky ones , cause I hv a lot of people who their degree hv helped in getting promotions and good pay. They ain’t just on this thread . So get the degree and keep on the side. It’s not a waste !

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by UncleJudax(m): 8:02am On May 07, 2020
yes. for your papa shop..
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ayebaeapretai(f): 8:11am On May 07, 2020
Thomthom:
If u dey work govt work... you go tire the more..
I work in a private firm oo grin grin
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by hausadreturn(m): 8:14am On May 07, 2020
If you're in Lagos, come and take my "Dell e6410 latitude" battery for a small change.

It's a "double-cell" battery I got from ebay, and it lasts for 4.5 hours. Very solid.
If you're not in Lagos, I wouldn't want to stress myself doing shipping.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Frankicent(m): 8:37am On May 07, 2020
ijaw1stson:
yes o... Most undergraduates don't understand the true world out there.

Well, I'm not doing bad, just one or two side hustles. Thanks alot

I wish you best of luck bro. Don't worry you'll get a job really soon. Remember my word
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by SexytorresE(f): 9:40am On May 07, 2020
Yes, only if ur legs are long grin

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 9:53am On May 07, 2020
Jokerman:

AutoCAD ANSYS Mathlab
ohh okay...got it
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DAMYH: 10:08am On May 07, 2020
Liliantalks:
The sad part about this thread is that unintellectuals r the most here , people who got no value for education, some might even be fraudsters, but to fellow intellectuals, if u hv the money to futher ur education , please do it without hesitation.
Life is about improving ones self , MSC is a great achievement , the world is aware of this , just that Nigeria is in a mess . But that shouldn’t limit you from improving urself . U might be among the large amount of lucky ones , cause I hv a lot of people who their degree hv helped in getting promotions and good pay. They ain’t just on this thread . So get the degree and keep on the side. It’s not a waste !
True talk�

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by veave(f): 10:37am On May 07, 2020
DonroxyII:
Was was just recognised...
I'm sorry Ma'am!
It's fine
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Solatium(m): 11:38am On May 07, 2020
Liliantalks:
doing my PhD is compulsory

Then you are on your way to better pay and Quality life

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Iddfx: 11:44am On May 07, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.
If u have a Ph.D and u are of working age and willing to work and u dont have job....u have a right to sue the federal govt.and any judge will give u judgment within weeks asking you to resume at a ministry or agency with ur judgment.....its in the constitution.KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by betapikin15: 12:33pm On May 07, 2020
ProfDview1:
Yes. If someone like mi must go for masters, then I will sponsor myself ooo Cox parents can't... But mehn, I need to make money first n foremost.

Any way to make money, guys?

Bored.. Anyone will Python programming video tutorial within lagos..

Nope buh I came across this PDF in my documents about how to do it(how to program in Python language) I don't know if that counts
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 12:44pm On May 07, 2020
chloride6:

I was hired less than 6 months ago as a Graduate Engineer, so your argument isnt valid.

Recruiters dont care if you have an Msc, that kind of thinking is dead..

My friend too just got a job with world bank and he has 2.1 from Unilag..

If you cannot pay attention to details, I wonder how you handle your tasks at work.

I stated the basic requirement and explained how competitive Graduate Trainee positions are in IOC . Finally, I mentioned that if a candidate can do better than guys with higher qualification and intimidating skills and certification in the job assessment, then he will be picked.
However, Recruiters care if you have M.SC, you will soon find out as you progress in your career. In some multinationals, you cannot even apply if you don't have an M.SC.
Example: You are the HR Director of Chevron and the candidates below are presented to you, who will you give the job, every other thing being equal.

1. Candidate A: B.SC Industrial Chemistry (2.1) ., M.SC Petroleum Chemistry (Distinction)., Age: 25 years., Final Score: 75%. Has demonstrated problem solving skills by researching on many technical challenges faced by petroleum industries with 4 journal articles in reputable journals.

2. Candidate B: B.SC Industrial Chemistry (2.1)., Age: 25 years., Final Score: 75%

Grace and favour of God is very important but washing down the importance of higher qualification is not right. The issue is not the paper called certificate but the knowledge and skills gained. Right now, I intend getting my PhD because there are many ways I can apply the knowledge I will gain to solve organizational and societal problems. It is not just about acquiring degrees.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by chloride6: 12:46pm On May 07, 2020
Polchiz:

If you cannot pay attention to details, I wonder how you handle your tasks at work.

I stated the basic requirement and explained how competitive Graduate Trainee positions are in IOC . Finally, I mentioned that if can do better than guys with higher qualification and intimidating skills and certification in the job assessment, then you can be picked.
However, Recruiters care if you have M.SC, you will soon find out as you progress in your career. In some multinationals, you cannot even apply if you don't have an M.SC.
Example: You are the HR Director of Chevron and the candidates below are presented to you, who will you give the job, every other thing being equal.

1. Candidate A: B.SC Industrial Chemistry (2.1) ., M.SC Petroleum Chemistry (Distinction)., Age: 25 years., Final Score: 75%

2. Candidate B: B.SC Industrial Chemistry (2.1)., Age: 25 years., Final Score: 75%

Grace and favour of God is very important but washing down the importance of higher qualification is not right. The issue is not the paper called certificate but the knowledge and skills gained. Right now, I intend getting my PhD because there are many ways I can apply the knowledge I will gain to solve organizational and societal problems. It is not just about acquiring degrees.

Recruiters dont care if you have an Msc

Stop misleading people...

Finish..

That is how people also kill themselves over stupid qualifications at work like CFA grin instead of concentrating on delivering value..
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Polchiz(m): 12:49pm On May 07, 2020
chloride6:

Finish..

That is how people also kill themselves over stupid qualifications at work like CFA grin instead of concentrating on delivering value..

I see!

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 1:06pm On May 07, 2020
Iddfx:

If u have a Ph.D and u are of working age and willing to work and u dont have job....u have a right to sue the federal govt.and any judge will give u judgment within weeks asking you to resume at a ministry or agency with ur judgment.....its in the constitution.KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
some people r lying Biko undecided
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 3:06pm On May 07, 2020
Frankicent:

I wish you best of luck bro. Don't worry you'll get a job really soon. Remember my word
thanks boss. I will surely remember this.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 3:07pm On May 07, 2020
Iddfx:

wow, I never knew this. Thanks boss. I will be communicating with my lawyer asap.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 3:15pm On May 07, 2020
Chuky7:
Since growing up I have always been accustomed to the idea of double up my degree.
Not like it's a bad thing but what purpose does it serve to run a Masters or PhD program in the long run.

My Dad is always telling me to do one program here and there. It gets tiring honestly as I don't consider myself an academic per se and I would only put in effort when I see something is absolutely necessary.

A cousin of mine once went to the UK for her masters, previously working at a brewery. She told me that going for this program would guarantee her an upgrade in department level

Has anyone here gotten any similar experiences, share your story or those you know of. Were you ever selected for a job based on that or a promotion?

Two cents brother...

1. A tool is only as good as it's user, masters degree in only a tool. Jobs are offered based on one's potential to solve problems for the employer, so even if one gets 10 master's and PhDs without any potentials to solve problems, getting jobs will be difficult.

2. Jobs require a mix of several skills, not just academic qualifications, the qualifications and brilliance will bring a person to the interview, getting hired is entirely dependent on personality, unless one has a highly specialized skill.

There's no definite answer, the best is to decide
what to do...start doing it, and then see what tools is needed to push forward, just like your friend that already has a job and is now doing a master's to get ahead.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Abdulsalam32: 5:34pm On May 07, 2020
you self no try o,u no go go 4 something serious
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by FreshBoss007: 6:57pm On May 07, 2020
GentleNaaz:

Hello dear. You are totally wrong in your baseless claim. Every degree course is a professional course. No course is useless. All serve different areas of professionalism. You need to get your intellect articulated.

So you mean medicine and zoology are on par?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by edoairways: 7:30pm On May 07, 2020
Polchiz:

I stated the basic requirement and explained how competitive Graduate Trainee positions are in IOC . Finally, I mentioned that if a candidate can do better than guys with higher qualification and intimidating skills and certification in the job assessment, then he will be picked.

1. Candidate A: B.SC Industrial Chemistry (2.1) ., M.SC Petroleum Chemistry (Distinction)., Age: 25 years., Final Score: 75%. Has demonstrated problem solving skills by researching on many technical challenges faced by petroleum industries with 4 journal articles in reputable journals.

Correct
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by edoairways: 7:33pm On May 07, 2020
chloride6:

Finish..

Some recruiters care especially with the example he illustrated. The first candidate has B.sc and M.sc and was able to solve a problem. The employer might spend less training candidate A than B
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 8:40pm On May 07, 2020
Polchiz:

Professional Masters limits you. The qualification is not acceptable for lecturing/Research positions. You may likely do a project instead of an academic research which is publishable in reputable international journals and presentable in conferences. This is where you meet people that matter in your field.
Good research can qualify you for grant, PhD scholarship etc.
Professional Masters is fast, can be completed in a year but it will limit you.
You are an Ignorant chap. 95% of successful people who are CEO of big multinational corporation, Banks, private sector and self employed Business tycoons all had MBA instead of M.sc,

Do you know why? Let me educate you; MBA is purely practical or should I use the world reality knowledge, running MBA will open you eyes to dirty and mafia side of business and teach the raw fact of how the business world operates. There you will meet people who have actually work in companys and banks who have practical knowledge but has come to further their knowledge.

M.SC is purely rubbish theories which are use for academia and research but in the real world are just nonsense because its lack practical details of how the world operate. (Note: am refering to M.SC in Business admin)
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ontop123(m): 9:27pm On May 07, 2020
If you have the opportunity to acquire more degree do...

MSc without skills is useless however, MSc with skills is a huge asset.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by NairaMaster1(m): 6:32pm On May 08, 2020
Chuky7:

lol...layman PhD

My brother I know one mallam in one state ministry of health. He has diploma in accounting but doing online PhD in public health.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Misternas89(m): 10:59pm On May 09, 2020
DonroxyII:
Very Apt. This is the problem ... if you actually passed through the rigorosity of M.sc , You can never remain the same ....

I went back in as a Dunce Head but 3 months after I knew they have strucked something in me ... a resources I knew where there but don't even know how to find my way around it.

Every course outline per course was a term paper or empirical paper , you present it individually 15pages maximum .... we were just 11 in d class.

Imagine, That presentations alone has eliminated crowd phobia from my life as you would present your dissertation too facing Professors, PhDs and ITK fellow students grin ... Throwing Questions at you all angles ... You and your supervisor in hot seat pitying each other cheesy

I cursed my B.sc Supervisor for awarding me C grade but after my M.sc , I revisited my B.sc Project... I awarded myself E grade infact ... I was suppose to rewrite that nonsense because it was grade less.... No head no tail ... I just wrote newspapers.... I remember all the effort I put into my B.sc Project ... we were not properly guided.

Same school, Same Lecturers changed it for us during M.sc .... Probitas Doctrina cheesy

Cc: Edrys
My “better by far” colleague. I had my Bsc in Unilorin, Msc Ile-ife

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by BelieverDE: 2:47pm On May 11, 2020
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 11:32pm On May 19, 2020
tommyken:

You are an Ignorant chap. 95% of successful people who are CEO of big multinational corporation, Banks, private sector and self employed Business tycoons all had MBA instead of M.sc,

Do you know why? Let me educate you; MBA is purely practical or should I use the world reality knowledge, running MBA will open you eyes to dirty and mafia side of business and teach the raw fact of how the business world operates. There you will meet people who have actually work in companys and banks who have practical knowledge but has come to further their knowledge.

M.SC is purely rubbish theories which are use for academia and research but in the real world are just nonsense because its lack practical details of how the world operate. (Note: am refering to M.SC in Business admin)
Do you posses an MSc degree?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DexterousOne(m): 4:35am On May 20, 2020
chloride6:

Finish..

Did you just call the CFA a "stupid qualification"?
Boy; how old are you
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liliantalks: 8:01am On May 20, 2020
tommyken:

u hv the most ignorant opinion on this thread

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Lists Of 'difficult Courses' People Look Down On. / ASUU Salaries: Use Of BVN Will Expose Lecturers With Multiple Jobs – FG / University Students Demand Professor Be Fired For Saying There Are Only 2 Sexes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.