Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,343 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42136 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by bigtt76(f): 4:49pm On May 06, 2020
I agree with you but then some tasks are regarded as less tasking for a Masters degree holder and may be the preserve of a lower qualification holder.

At other times, the employer's conscience may be pricked to think paying the employee with a master's degree lower than they deserve is not good especially when they can't afford it.

Some other employers may actually encourage employees who gained higher qualifications since it would help boost their image and go on to increase their pay in appreciation.

So it's a double edge sword, some appreciate it and pay if they can afford it, others out of shame may politely tell you they can't afford you. The selfish ones will continue to pay you pittance.

Chuky7:

wow...that sounds bad really. after all the work you put in. there should be people willing to pay your worth

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ijaw1stson: 5:01pm On May 06, 2020
Kuns84:

All that money wasted on further studies could've been put to better use.
it's not a waste Sir. And the money isn't a problem either. Thanks
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by edoairways: 5:10pm On May 06, 2020
komodapson:
Do not enrol for that MSc program... I repeat, do not . The only reason you can enrol for that MSc is solely if you desire to become an Academic and follow that career path. So you either secure a job in any of our research institute or as a lecturer in a university...but aside from this, Do not.
Best response

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by cray91(m): 5:14pm On May 06, 2020
yes very few but those got it by connection or one way or the other. nothing works On merit in Nigeria Anymore

I just Pray for a reset for the world as a whole cuz not Nigeria alone. The Totality of the world is bleeped and messed up.

i guess maybe corona advent is part of my answer to prayer who knows cuz lol i'm speehchless
Chuky7:

But I know a few people who are making it work for them...even in this Nigeria
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 5:19pm On May 06, 2020
cray91:
yes very few but those got it by connection or one way or the other. nothing works On merit in Nigeria Anymore

I just Pray for a reset for the world as a whole cuz not Nigeria alone. The Totality of the world is bleeped and messed up.

i guess maybe corona advent is part of my answer to prayer who knows cuz lol i'm speehchless

yea I agree the world in general is messed up...

lol someone once said to me that corona will cure the world. we dont just know it yet.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 5:20pm On May 06, 2020
bigtt76:
I agree with you but then some tasks are regarded as less tasking for a Masters degree holder and may be the preserve of a lower qualification holder.

At other times, the employer's conscience may be pricked to think paying the employee with a master's degree lower than they deserve is not good especially when they can't afford it.

Some other employers may actually encourage employees who gained higher qualifications since it would help boost their image and go on to increase their pay in appreciation.

So it's a double edge sword, some appreciate it and pay if they can afford it, others out of shame may politely tell you they can't afford you. The selfish ones will continue to pay you pittance.

Well Said...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by odimbannamdi(m): 5:39pm On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
i no Blame u. Do you have sense at all? Is it your money? And who told you that I'm not doing business? Do you even think I'm up to 30 years? Please don't quote me again. Nonsense

It was needless bringing age into it. It doesnt matter whether you have acquired 100 post-graduate degrees. What matters are the skills and results you are bringing to the table.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Legendguru: 5:41pm On May 06, 2020
Nothing is guaranteed in nigeria even the air you breathe government can take it and take anything
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by preciousman(m): 5:46pm On May 06, 2020
Internetsombody:

Okay

I have both videos and good PDFs for python programming

Check my signature again please
I am interested in the videos and pdf files too
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by spautos(m): 5:46pm On May 06, 2020
Not at all
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by AlphaT1(m): 5:57pm On May 06, 2020
With a master's degree one should be able to analyze research data for undergrads, at least as a side huslte, even if one is not gainfully employed......But since most of the so called master's degrees in Naija are just glorified certificates, their holders don't know their left from their right... just get admision, cram some notes and pass your exams (coursework) then pay someone to "manufacture" a "thesis" and boom you have a master's......Ask the holder his/her research topic, what informed his/her decision to go into that research area, what was the methodology and why etc.? He/she will be staring at you like you're speaking a foreign language.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Lorayne(m): 5:59pm On May 06, 2020
Ilekokonit:

You actually do not need to pay for an IT training school as you can learn it yourself at home IF YOU ARE DEDICATED to studying 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 90 days with a view to doing and passing the relevant certification exam at the end of 90 days.

All you will need are :-

1. Researching which IT skill set is in demand on job boards where you live.

2. Buying a powerful laptop / desktop

3. Buying / Downloading a LICENSED software relating to your chosen skill set.

4. Buying a HARDCOPY book relating to your chosen skill set - some of these books also come with the software on a CD.

5. Install the software on your computer.

6. Open the book you purchased from PAGE 1 and read EVERY PAGE in the book and practice EVERY THING you've read on the software platform you've downloaded onto your computer.

7. Do this reading / practice for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week every day for 90 days.

8. Don't stop until you get to the last page of the book.

9. Youtube Videos and Online Tutorials on the IT skill set will also augment your studies.

10. Once you've reached the last page of the book then search online for practice questions relating to the Certification Exams relevant to your chosen it skill set.

11. Practice these NUMEROUS questions until you score at least 90% EVERY TIME you do a new set of question bank.

12. Now search for a company licensed to offer certification exams in that IT skillset in the city you live in and book a date for and pay for the certification exam.

13. Attend the certification exam and sit the exam.

14. Once you score at least 70% (preferably higher) in the exams, then update your CV with this newly acquired IT skill set and certification n=and if you happen to score higher than 85% in the exams, shout it on the rooftop on your CV and if necessary attach a copy of your certification to your CV.

15. Start applying online for IT jobs that require your IT skillset preferably targeting big multinational / very large organizations that will have funding to employ IT experts (one of which you are now). NEVER apply for jobs at a one man band company as your rights will most likely be trodden upon and your wages may not be paid as and when due.

16. Desperate times require desperate actions and so you should target applying for at least 100 jobs a day and this will mean not wasting too much time on job applications that require you to fill out lengthy application forms as serious IT jobs are happy with just a CV and short cover letter.

17. Before the ideal job offer comes, you can speculatively approach New Media companies such as Nairaland, Linda Ikeji etc by sending them your CV to see if they have any relevant vacancies and/or offer to render your services on a voluntary basis for 3 months as long as your transport costs are covered.

18. If you had to go for step 17 TEMPORARILY, then at the end of the 3 month voluntary work, update your CV with this 3 month HANDS ON working experience as you now have someone you can use as a referee if employers ask.

19. Now do steps 15 and 16 above RIGOROUSLY until that good paying IT job comes.

20. IF you DILIGENTLY follow steps 1 to19 above, I will be surprised if you don't get a lucrative IT job after 6 months.

IT is the present and the future and is one of the few careers where pandemic or no pandemic, you can work in your pyjamas from home and get paid a good wage because IT WILL ALWAYS HAVE A SKILLS SHORTAGE as new skills are entering the market daily and keeping up with the teenage whizz kids the world over who are churning out new technologies daily requires an army of people who are not afraid to put their brain through some HARD CORE thinking and here lies the skills shortage as not everybody likes putting their brain through mental stress but everyone wants to use Watsapp withouth fully appreciating what these tech wizards have put their brain through to produce these ground breaking applications.

All the best.
Nice!..... But 14hrs a day bros? grin ... That's how many hours we get light in a week here.
Can I learn programming with my phone?.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by vulpeslopez(m): 6:02pm On May 06, 2020
Lorienta:
Thank God for mr John Mark ;Dthe best programming teacher for kids in abuja. My little boy earns 7000 naira everyday.
Mr John's number : 09059206923
God bless you sir.
Mr John kee u there....u see educated thread u dey look for naga with ur 18mins account way u solely open for the fraud way u wan run.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Paytah: 6:18pm On May 06, 2020
Sambai65:
chai that's my monthly over time nah,it's well sha

Lol..that's how it is,funny thing is the guy's mother is also working with him and she is collecting the same salary also..when it comes to anything relating to job in nigeria I just give up.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by afroxyz: 6:23pm On May 06, 2020
You still want to spend money on another degree only to go back and do what you would be doing with your Bsc which is looking for a job. It's not bad to AVE answers degree, but going for a postgraduate degree to get a job is bull Whyte. Mr man take that money and that 18 months that you would use to get the MSc and learn a skill or two.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Afromentalist: 6:27pm On May 06, 2020
Sailorsoldier1:
Do u have a FSLC....?
No I don't.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by afroxyz: 6:33pm On May 06, 2020
Ilekokonit:

Most Medical students study for 16 hours a day if they are to pass because there is negative marking where the questions you get wrong are deducted from your correct answers so that you don't start gambling with patients lives. And this is done the world over and so you might see an 18 year old Indian girl going to study for 1st year Medical school exams at 1 am in the morning and she intends to stay in the night study area all night. No pain no gain.

Regarding sites for study materials / software, you can search youtube and also do a freehand search on google but structure and dedication is key to passing the certification exams after 90 days as if you score less than 70% you may struggle more to get a job than someone who spent 14 hours a day studying / PRACTICING the IT skill set and scored 90% as that high mark will give him or her a level of confidence at job interviews that will impress the interviewer and such high scoring candidates will be like lecturers at such job interviews and will also smash any related IT selection exams set at such job interviews.

Apart from phyton, which otger programming course is good? Also where can I get good books and register for the exam in Nigeria
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ocheola01: 6:39pm On May 06, 2020
NigPatriot:
A master's degree is very significant. Especially in cases, where the student didn't do so well at the undergraduate level. A master's provides a boost. Big companies like Mobil, Nnpc etc don't normally send invites to 2.2 and below. But they concede if you have a 2.2 plus a master's (with distinction).
Also, in more recent times, BSc has become as popular as leaving school certificate, hence the need to step up your qualifications which will ultimately give you the edge. Don't listen to people saying, MSc is a waste of time. Trust me it's just one year sometimes 18months, but the certificate stays with you for life. Think about it. If you want to lecture, it's almost a must you have one too.
Without further ado, if you have the chance to up your qualifications, please do.

You get sense die!!! Your bsc is now the new SSCE, be there shouting msc no make sense.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ocheola01: 6:42pm On May 06, 2020
Powerexpert:
You cannot proceed to PhD with professional masters. It is mostly for people who are working but needs degree for promotion or for more exposure in that field where they are working.

Says who ? That's not correct. I did a professional (executive) MSC at unilag and now I'm doing my PhD.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Sailorsoldier1: 6:57pm On May 06, 2020
Afromentalist:

No I don't.
I'm so sorry for d question, education is never late.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by ChevKing(m): 7:03pm On May 06, 2020
If is is ENGINEERING, please don't do it o. Get skilled, if you think you must do it, kindly get skilled with your industry relevant skills, many a time your Msc would put you under a 5year Bsc in Engineering in the industry. In Engineering it is strictly skill set that's required. However if you have high connection in the oil industry, or the Msc is outside the shore of Nigeria, Go ahead.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by emotionada: 7:04pm On May 06, 2020
ocheola01:

Says who ? That's not correct. I did a professional (executive) MSC at unilag and now I'm doing my PhD.

Please don't mind him. That's what most people do. They cram something and wait for the nearest opportunity to regurgitate it.

One even shouted me down saying:...everybody knows that Covid-19 originated from China"

I simply asked the mofo if he had any evidence to back up his assertion. Dude disappeared till date!

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Tonto30(f): 7:14pm On May 06, 2020
It doesn't.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Powerexpert: 7:34pm On May 06, 2020
ocheola01:

Which course?
Kindly state the mode of application before you were approved for the PhD.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Powerexpert: 7:42pm On May 06, 2020
emotionada:

Please don't mind him. That's what most people do. They cram something and wait for the nearest opportunity to regurgitate it.

One even shouted me down saying:...everybody knows that Covid-19 originated from China"

I simply asked the mofo if he had any evidence to back up his assertion. Dude disappeared till date!
That is the modus operandi with University of Ibadan, he brought a divergent view to it as regards Unilag which implies that some universities might allow based on your supervisor or content of your application and field of study as well.
Where does cramming come in this argument?
What is this place of covid in this argument?
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Internetsombody: 7:49pm On May 06, 2020
ProfDview1:

Seen... Thanks..
You are welcome
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DrTims(m): 7:50pm On May 06, 2020
Thanks bro and you too smiley
ijaw1stson:
you're right. The frustration is something else, especially with a devilish supervisor. well done my Doc in view. I wish u all the best in your endeavors

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Internetsombody: 7:50pm On May 06, 2020
preciousman:
I am interested in the videos and pdf files too

Okay
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DonroxyII: 7:53pm On May 06, 2020
Polchiz:
Please go for your M.SC (not professional masters) if you have the means. Most multinationals and banks recently (I know of Ecobank) now includes M.SC. as requirements for even Trainee positions.
It equally prepares you for opportunities in Academia and international NGOs.
Most importantly, don't go for Masters degree for the purpose of getting a job only but do it with the best of your abilities and learn new skills and ideas in your field.
If you can come up with a ground-breaking research in your field, that alone can take you places.
Yes, in Nigeria you can succeed without connections if you know what you are doing.
This was my ideology for undergoing my M.sc ... Don't pursue academics or professional qualifications with sole purpose of blue collar jobs ... what a wrong aims .....

I have a igbo friend who has concluded his M.sc and still sitting in his shop selling Gas and electronics..... Very soon You will see Ekene International..... He will become employer of labour.... With his M.sc if he rise and their is appointment opportunities, he will take it and nobody will disqualify him due to lack or dearth of education....

What I learnt from M.sc Accounting and My ICAN hustle as well as all the money I invested could never have been otherwise profitable .... The knowledge base and maturity is immense ....

No one is an Island but there is a mental paradigm shift in me ....

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Bollove: 7:55pm On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
baba na God o. E no easy
And u still dey find Job

Hmmm ... Aboy .... !!

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Bollove: 7:59pm On May 06, 2020

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

A Hotel Or An Hotel, Which One Is Correct? / COVID-19 Lockdown: 500 Secondary School Students Pregnant In Benin / Erekaa Naomi Dooshima: Missing Benue University Student Found Dead

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63