Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? (42139 Views)

Right Steps To Study For A Masters Degree Abroad / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? / Think Twice Before Going For Masters Degree (m.sc) - Vincent Adeoba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by gracefoundmme(m): 1:52pm On May 06, 2020
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:52pm On May 06, 2020
Sailorsoldier1:
You must do ur MSC ooo...pls o

lol why sir...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:53pm On May 06, 2020
Brosbeforehoes:
Buhari get master degree??

it's in the ozza room...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Covidhunger20: 1:53pm On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:

PhD mistress...

Maybe PhD master grin

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by micxwell(m): 1:53pm On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:

Thanks a lot you made a lot of sense

what if you are on a third class level plus the masters
You would have to opt for a PGD before Masters... For most Uni
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 1:55pm On May 06, 2020
Jokerman:
Lol... It doesn't... Except it give more knowledge.

Someone now told me to go for PhD... I just dey laff... If you know what it is to have Msc Mechanical Engineering, and still no job... Thank for simulation and design softwares helping man out grin

it's like you went through hell...

What's this for"simulation and design softwares"
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by NigPatriot(m): 1:56pm On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:

Thanks a lot you made a lot of sense

what if you are on a third class level plus the masters

Thanks for the complement.

Also, I have a colleague who made a third class, he's currently rounding off his masters at unilag and will most likely come out with a distinction too. That's a huge plus if you ask me because most recruiters will be very impressed with such tenacity. Which every employer looks out for. So brother, it's even more paramount when one has a third class.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by sukar886: 1:57pm On May 06, 2020
Not in my country naija, unless in oil company and banks, if you dare carry am come for federal government job, consider ur self sack, cos Oga, s on top no get am

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 1:59pm On May 06, 2020
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by nappy760(m): 2:04pm On May 06, 2020
saponda249:
Good day Fellow Nairalanders,

During the Lockdown, I earned a total of N19,000 in the month on April.

Yes, It's not much but its something during this trying times of Covid 19 Pandemic.

I was offered 10% daily on my investment and a whooping 20% on referrals.

want to know more about ??

After you register, Join the Telegram for better info

Check my signature Below for Link

You can invest a minute fraction of that on crypto currency and crowd funding to even add extra to your earnings
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by nappy760(m): 2:06pm On May 06, 2020
ProfDview1:
Yes. If someone like mi must go for masters, then I will sponsor myself ooo Cox parents can't... But mehn, I need to make money first n foremost.

Any way to make money, guys?

Bored.. Anyone will Python programming video tutorial within lagos..

You can earn money from crypto currency and crowd funding as a side hustle all from the comfort of your phone.

Can anyone help me with data (airtel) ...
Just data, simply data...
I will be grateful..
I'm using nairaland via free opera but I need data to be a
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Tajbol4splend(m): 2:13pm On May 06, 2020
Go to school and be creative, don't go there to seek a job, seek to create one

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ilekokonit: 2:15pm On May 06, 2020
Liposure:
baba, can u link me up IT training sch

You actually do not need to pay for an IT training school as you can learn it yourself at home IF YOU ARE DEDICATED to studying 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 90 days with a view to doing and passing the relevant certification exam at the end of 90 days.

All you will need are :-

1. Researching which IT skill set is in demand on job boards where you live.

2. Buying a powerful laptop / desktop

3. Buying / Downloading a LICENSED software relating to your chosen skill set.

4. Buying a HARDCOPY book relating to your chosen skill set - some of these books also come with the software on a CD.

5. Install the software on your computer.

6. Open the book you purchased from PAGE 1 and read EVERY PAGE in the book and practice EVERY THING you've read on the software platform you've downloaded onto your computer.

7. Do this reading / practice for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week every day for 90 days.

8. Don't stop until you get to the last page of the book.

9. Youtube Videos and Online Tutorials on the IT skill set will also augment your studies.

10. Once you've reached the last page of the book then search online for practice questions relating to the Certification Exams relevant to your chosen it skill set.

11. Practice these NUMEROUS questions until you score at least 90% EVERY TIME you do a new set of question bank.

12. Now search for a company licensed to offer certification exams in that IT skillset in the city you live in and book a date for and pay for the certification exam.

13. Attend the certification exam and sit the exam.

14. Once you score at least 70% (preferably higher) in the exams, then update your CV with this newly acquired IT skill set and certification n=and if you happen to score higher than 85% in the exams, shout it on the rooftop on your CV and if necessary attach a copy of your certification to your CV.

15. Start applying online for IT jobs that require your IT skillset preferably targeting big multinational / very large organizations that will have funding to employ IT experts (one of which you are now). NEVER apply for jobs at a one man band company as your rights will most likely be trodden upon and your wages may not be paid as and when due.

16. Desperate times require desperate actions and so you should target applying for at least 100 jobs a day and this will mean not wasting too much time on job applications that require you to fill out lengthy application forms as serious IT jobs are happy with just a CV and short cover letter.

17. Before the ideal job offer comes, you can speculatively approach New Media companies such as Nairaland, Linda Ikeji etc by sending them your CV to see if they have any relevant vacancies and/or offer to render your services on a voluntary basis for 3 months as long as your transport costs are covered.

18. If you had to go for step 17 TEMPORARILY, then at the end of the 3 month voluntary work, update your CV with this 3 month HANDS ON working experience as you now have someone you can use as a referee if employers ask.

19. Now do steps 15 and 16 above RIGOROUSLY until that good paying IT job comes.

20. IF you DILIGENTLY follow steps 1 to19 above, I will be surprised if you don't get a lucrative IT job after 6 months.

IT is the present and the future and is one of the few careers where pandemic or no pandemic, you can work in your pyjamas from home and get paid a good wage because IT WILL ALWAYS HAVE A SKILLS SHORTAGE as new skills are entering the market daily and keeping up with the teenage whizz kids the world over who are churning out new technologies daily requires an army of people who are not afraid to put their brain through some HARD CORE thinking and here lies the skills shortage as not everybody likes putting their brain through mental stress but everyone wants to use Watsapp withouth fully appreciating what these tech wizards have put their brain through to produce these ground breaking applications.

All the best.

20 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Sailorsoldier1: 2:16pm On May 06, 2020
Chuky7:

lol why sir...
upperhand sake , it helped me become who I am today. Nigeria is gradually passing d Bsc era.
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Yungstev007(m): 2:18pm On May 06, 2020
micomatson:
Please, can a B. tech in mathematics go for a M. SC or M. tech in computer science?

Sure. Comp Sc or Statistics will do. Planning on getting that done too

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 06, 2020
Ilekokonit:

You actually do not need to pay for a training school as you can learn it yourself at home IF YOU ARE DEDICATED to studying 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 90 days with a view to doing and passing the relevant certification exam at the end of 90 days.

1. Researching which IT skill set is in demand where you live.
4. Buying a HARDCOPY book relating to your chosen skill set - some of these books also come with the software on a CD.
6. Open the book you purchased from PAGE 1 and read EVERY PAGE in the book and practice EVERY THING you've read on the software platform you've downloaded onto your computer.
7. Do this reading / practice for 14 hours a day, 7 days a week every day for 90 days.
8. Don't stop until you get to the last page of the book.
9. Youtube Videos and Online Tutorials on the IT skill set will also augment your studies
10. Once you've reached the last page of the book then search online for practice questions relating to the Certification Exams relevant to your chosen it skill set.
11. Practice these NUMEROUS questions until you score at least 90% EVERY TIME you do a new set of question bank.
12. Now search for a company licensed to offer certification exams in that IT skillset in the city you live in and book a date for and pay for the certification exam.
13. Attend the certification exam and sit the exam.
14. Once you score at least 70% (preferably higher) in the exams, then update your CV with this newly acquired IT skill set and certification n=and if you happen to score higher than 85% in the exams, shout it on the rooftop on your CV and if necessary attach a copy of your certification to your CV.
15. Start applying online for IT jobs that require your IT skillset preferably targeting big multinational / very large organizations that will have funding to employ IT experts (one of which you are now). NEVER apply for jobs at a one man band company as your rights will most likely be trodden upon and your wages may not be paid as and when due.
16. Desperate times require desperate actions and so you should target applying for at least 100 jobs a day and this will mean not wasting too much time on job applications that require you to fill out lengthy application forms as serious IT jobs are happy with just a CV and short cover letter.
17. Before the ideal job offer comes, you can speculatively approach New Media companies such as Nairaland, Linda Ikeji etc by sending them your CV to see if they have any relevant vacancies and/or offer to render your services on a voluntary basis for 3 months as long as your transport costs are covered.
18. If you had to go for step 17 TEMPORARILY, then at the end of the 3 month voluntary work, update your CV with this 3 month HANDS ON working experience as you now have someone you can use as a referee if employers ask.
19. Now do steps 15 and 16 above RIGOROUSLY until that good paying IT job comes.
20. [b]IF [/b]you DILLIGENTLY follow steps 1 to19 above, I will be surprised if you don't get a lucrative IT job after 6 months.

All the best.

14 hours a day, suicide mission grin.. My head to just burst grin

Pls recommend the sites I can download materials and videos for it
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by dhml(m): 2:21pm On May 06, 2020
It's all depends on your area of specialization. I will strongly advice you go for a professional certification that is related to ur course of study before going for your master. In terms of Job placement and prospect, someone with a professional certification is first considered before a masters degree holder.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 2:25pm On May 06, 2020
micxwell:

Thanks good to know...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by DrTims(m): 2:26pm On May 06, 2020
You tried bro. I know what I passed through to get even one Masters degree at Ahmadu Bello University Zaria. Currently enrolled for my PhD program there. It's not easy bro. Still searching for a better job Sha.....it will happen soon Sha. God willing smiley
ijaw1stson:
It doesn't. At least in Nigeria. I have 2 masters degrees. However, I proceeded to do my PhD as I couldn't get a job.

3 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Thomthom(m): 2:27pm On May 06, 2020
Saintinoo:

You mean you have 1 bsc 2 msc and a Phd in view?
You try oooo.
if you use all this school fees start business before 10 years Na Venza u go dey drive..

3 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liposure: 2:27pm On May 06, 2020
Ilekokonit:

You actually do not need to pay for a training school as you can learn it yourself at home IF YOU ARE DEDICATED to studying 14 hours a day 7 days a week for 90 days with a view to doing and passing the relevant certification exam at the end of 90 days.

1. Researching which IT skill set is in demand where you live.
8. Don't stop until you get to the last paook.
9. Youtube Videos and
tank u
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 2:29pm On May 06, 2020
NigPatriot:

Thanks for the complement.

Also, I have a colleague who made a third class, he's currently rounding off his masters at unilag and will most likely come out with a distinction too. That's a huge plus if you ask me because most recruiters will be very impressed with such tenacity. Which every employer looks out for. So brother, it's even more paramount when one has a third class.

okay nice...good to know...
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Thomthom(m): 2:29pm On May 06, 2020
Ayebaeapretai:
Well i have two masters and these days i dont understand why i went for them.
If u dey work govt work... you go tire the more..
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Chuky7(m): 2:29pm On May 06, 2020
Sailorsoldier1:
upperhand sake , it helped me become who I am today. Nigeria is gradually passing d Bsc era.

okay Thank you
Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Liposure: 2:30pm On May 06, 2020
micxwell:
sir, is it possible 4 sumbody 2 hav two bachelor degrees

2 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Thomthom(m): 2:33pm On May 06, 2020
Calabar1stSon:
Common sense you no get, how could have two masters degree, I mean not just one but two

First master degree no give you work, then you proceed to another master degree and no work still, you come proceed go do your PhD still no work? Why did you not use the money for business? Guy go and burn those degrees.

Well, the money for the degrees weren't yours actually that's the reason for this recklessness.

I know say na the PhD you take apply for N-power 30k
my thought also... why packing all the degrees when Job never sure...

3 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ilekokonit: 2:36pm On May 06, 2020
ProfDview1:

14 hours a day, suicide mission grin.. My head to just burst grin

Pls recommend the sites I can download materials and videos for it

Most Medical students study for 16 hours a day if they are to pass because there is negative marking where the questions you get wrong are deducted from your correct answers so that you don't start gambling with patients lives. And this is done the world over and so you might see an 18 year old Indian girl going to study for 1st year Medical school exams at 1 am in the morning and she intends to stay in the night study area all night. No pain no gain.

Regarding sites for study materials / software, you can search youtube and also do a freehand search on google but structure and dedication is key to passing the certification exams after 90 days as if you score less than 70% you may struggle more to get a job than someone who spent 14 hours a day studying / PRACTICING the IT skill set and scored 90% as that high mark will give him or her a level of confidence at job interviews that will impress the interviewer and such high scoring candidates will be like lecturers at such job interviews and will also smash any related IT selection exams set at such job interviews.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Calabar1stSon: 2:44pm On May 06, 2020
Ibechris2:

My brother,there was a guy who I worked with some years back in a mortgage company in Nigeria. The guy had a degree and a master from Birmingham's university in England, I came with our local degree and yet my salary was bigger and this guy earned just 70k as monthly salary.

One day,I called and asked him why he used huge sum of money to travel abroad only to secure a 70k job,he said,only if he had known the trend in the country he wouldn't have tried it. After I left them and moved to another job,I heard he had started a business.

Nigeria is frustrating,the merit system has been bastardised and no one can be so certain of getting a job these days and I wonder what our children will go through if we dont correct certain things in this country.

A friend of mine most likely a brother spent millions to travel out of the country for UK just for his masters degree, do you know that up until now he's jobless after he came back to Nigeria.

Just few days ago he was telling me how he needs 100k to run a certification course and presently he's very broke... Just imagine the rubbish. I no know whether them take book swear for am angry

7 Likes

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by micxwell(m): 2:46pm On May 06, 2020
Liposure:
sir, is it possible 4 sumbody 2 hav two bachelor degrees
cheesy It's possible. We have people whose parents insist they must opt for a particular course. They finish it and then re-enroll for a course that they are comfortable with.
Another example is a graduate of say Medical Biochemistry going back to study medicine in uni.

1 Like

Re: Does A Masters Degree Guarantee Jobs? by Ernest5: 2:49pm On May 06, 2020
If u have d opportunity and money do it. It may pay off later in d future. I'm doing mine right now in unizik,awka. Tomorrow carry belle bro.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

COVID-19 Lockdown: 500 Secondary School Students Pregnant In Benin / Erekaa Naomi Dooshima: Missing Benue University Student Found Dead / Viral Question Unibadan Lecturer Asked His Students During Examinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.