Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

"I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) (2142 Views)

Makinde Not Fair To Me, Oyo Deputy Governor, Olaniyan Cries Out / Reno Omokri Shares 1983 Throwback Photo: My Nigerian Accent Opened Doors For Me / Abaribe: Declare December 31 ‘Democracy Destruction Day’ To Mark Your 1983 Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 11:42am On May 05, 2020
"During the war I saw to it that the revenue which was due to the Iboland – at that time…East Central State – I kept it, and I saved the money for them. And when the [state] was liberated I handed over the money to them – millions. If I’d decided to do so, I could have kept the money away from them. And then when they took over I saw to it that subvention was given to them at the rate of £990,000 every month. I didn’t go to the executive council to ask for support, or for approval because I knew if I went to the executive council at that time, the subvention would not be approved because there were more enemies in the executive council for the Ibos than friends. And since I wasn’t going to take a percentage from what I was going to give them, and I knew I was doing what was right, I wanted the state to survive, I kept on giving the subvention – £990,000, almost a million, every month – and I did that for other states of course – South Eastern State, North Central State, Kwara and so on."

But I did that for the Ibos, and when the war was over, I saw to it that the African Continental Bank, ACB, got three and a half million pounds to start with. This was distributed immediately and I gave another sum of money. The attitude of the experts, officials at the time of the ACB was that ACB should be closed down, and I held the view you couldn’t close the ACB down because that is the bank that gives finance to the Ibo traders, and if you close it down they’ll find it difficult to revive or to survive. So it was given.

I did the same thing for the Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria, to rehabilitate all these places, and I saw to it as commissioner for finance that no obstacle was placed in the way of the ministry of economic planning in planning for rehabilitation of the war affected areas.

TWENTY POUNDS POLICY

That’s what I did, and the case of the money they said was not given back to them, you know during the war all the pounds were looted, they printed Biafran currency notes, which they circulated. At the close of the war some people wanted their Biafran notes to be exchanged for them. Of course I couldn’t do that; if I did that the whole country would be bankrupt.

We didn’t know about Biafran notes and we didn’t know on what basis they printed them, so we refused the Biafran note, but I laid down the principle that all those who had savings in the banks on the eve of the declaration of Biafra, will get their money back if they could satisfy us that they had the savings there, or the money there. Unfortunately, all the banks’ books had been burnt, and many of the people who had savings there didn’t have their savings books or their last statement of account, so a panel had to be set up.

I didn’t take part in setting up the panel. It was done by the Central Bank and the pertinent officials of the Ministry of Finance, to look into the matter, and they went carefully into the matter. They took some months to do so, and then make some recommendations which I approved. Go to the archives, all I did was approve, I didn’t write anything more than that, I don’t even remember the name of any of them who took part. So I did everything in this world to assist our Ibo brothers and sisters during and after the war.

And anyone who goes back to look at my broadcast in August 1967, which dealt with post-war reconstruction, would see what I said there.

– Excerpts from an interview Awo granted during a town hall meeting in Abeokuta, Ogun State, in 1983
(2012)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 11:44am On May 05, 2020
And he later drank rat poison .

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 11:46am On May 05, 2020
Yoruba Revisionist at work.

Never see people like this.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 11:47am On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Is that how to be grateful to someone that ensure (even tho you hated him) you didn't perish after the war.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by kestolove95(m): 11:48am On May 05, 2020
Terrorist tribe

1 Like

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 11:49am On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Yoruba Revisionist at work.

Never see people like this.

Bring out facts.
Who gave the ibos traders loan to kick-start their trades again?
Who financed your ibo traders cooperative?

8 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Kingseex1(m): 11:53am On May 05, 2020
According To Late Awolowo He Gave The Southeast Region Almost A Million Pounds Monthly And OfCourse He Did That For Other Region Too. I No Understand This Kind Help, the only help i see here is funding of the ACB with 3.5 million pounds which is commendable
modified

1 Like

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 11:57am On May 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Is that how to be grateful to someone that ensure (even tho you hated him) you didn't perish after the war.
Grateful to someone who mastermind the starvation of 3.5 million biafran children.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 11:59am On May 05, 2020
Kingseex1:
According To Late Awolowo He Gave The Southeast Region Almost A Million Pounds Monthly And OfCourse He Did That For Other Region Too. I No Understand This Kind Help
Na yoruba theory

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by slimfit1(m): 12:01pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:

Bold enough to do it not running away like a coward. Ojukwu ran, Kanu run shameless people.

6 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 12:05pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Grateful to someone who mastermind the starvation of 3.5 million biafran children.

You know nothing about war. Read how ibos abused those tribes that were from SS because they don't wanna be part of your biafra during the war. You massacred, raped and destroyed them.

7 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 12:07pm On May 05, 2020
slimfit1:

Bold enough to do it not running away like a coward. Ojukwu ran, Kanu run shameless people.

Do you know the height of it all? Ojukwu came back to contest in a country he so much hate and wanted to leave. Yet he lost. Some people don't just have dignity and class.

6 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by seunmsg(m): 12:14pm On May 05, 2020
Gowon and Awolowo were too magnanimous as far as I’m concerned. The insult they receive from the same people they did everything for is as a result of their magnanimity. Henceforth, any part of Nigeria that wages war against the country better win. If not, they will be subjected to unimaginable sufferings after defeat. The days of good guys like Gowon and Awolowo doing no victor no vanquished is over.

7 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 12:19pm On May 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Bring out facts.
Who gave the ibos traders loan to kick-start their trades again?
Who financed your ibo traders cooperative?
No loan was given to Igbo traders.on what grand was the loan given to them?
What collateral did they used in getting the loan?

After the war,three Rs were proposed.reconciliation,rehabilitation and Reconstruction.

which of the three really happen.
Did your Awolowo government rebuild any where in east.

enough of this lies from you yoruba.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:

After the war,three Rs were proposed.reconciliation,rehabilitation and Reconstruction.

"when the war was over, I saw to it that the African Continental Bank, ACB, got three and a half million pounds to start with. This was distributed immediately and I gave another sum of money. The attitude of the experts, officials at the time of the ACB was that ACB should be closed down, and I held the view you couldn’t close the ACB down because that is the bank that gives finance to the Ibo traders, and if you close it down they’ll find it difficult to revive or to survive. So it was given.

I did the same thing for the Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria, to rehabilitate all these places, and I saw to it as commissioner for finance that no obstacle was placed in the way of the ministry of economic planning in planning for rehabilitation of the war affected areas."

6 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 12:24pm On May 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

You know nothing about war. Read how ibos abused those tribes that were from SS because they don't wanna be part of your biafra during the war. You massacred, raped and destroyed them.

Another lies from yorubas.

Even Asaba massacre was
carried out by igbos.-yoruba history.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Chikelue2000(m): 12:25pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Another lies from yorubas.

Even Asaba massacre was
carried out by igbos.-yoruba history.

But the story of innocents suffering was not a totally one-sided one. A forgotten aspect of the civil war concerns the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Igbo-dominated Biafran side against minority groups within what had been the former Eastern Region of Nigeria, as well as against other Nigerian ethnic groups in the Mid-Western State when it was temporarily occupied by Biafran forces.

A missing aspect of the narrative concerns the ill-treatment meted out to minority groups within secessionist Biafra such as the Efik, Ijaw, Ogoja and Ibibio. It would be remiss not to remind that these groups were targeted along with Igbos in the northern part of the country during the explosions of communal violence in May 1966, as well as between September and October of that year. But they would later suffer persecution and human rights abuses at the hands of the largely Igbo Biafran Army.

Much of this stemmed from real and imagined sympathy on the part of members of these communities for the Federal cause. The minority communities of the old Eastern Region had after all campaigned for the creation of more states; something which the Nigerian Head of State, Lt. Colonel Yakubu Gowon had done in May 1967. And while some non-Igbo officers such as Lt. Colonel Phillip Effiong, an Ibibio, served in the Biafran armed forces, others such as Colonel George Kurobo had defected to the Federal side.

An example of abuses against Biafran minorities concerns that of the Ikun people, who were suspected of collaboration. This led to detentions, looting and raping by Biafran troops in Ikunland. Many males were rounded up and ‘disappeared’, while others were shot to death.

One of the most publicised war crimes committed by the Biafrans occurred when Federal troops landed in Calabar in October 1967. About 167 civilians in detention were lined up and executed by Biafran soldiers. The Nigerian Consulate in New York published details of this atrocity as an informational advertisement in the New York Times as part of the propaganda war with the Biafrans, whose own propaganda machinery at home, and operating internationally under the auspices of the Geneva-based Markpress public relations firm, always had the edge over the Federal side.

6 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by jlinkd78(m): 12:41pm On May 05, 2020
Following
Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 12:52pm On May 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

"when the war was over, I saw to it that the African Continental Bank, ACB, got three and a half million pounds to start with. This was distributed immediately and I gave another sum of money. The attitude of the experts, officials at the time of the ACB was that ACB should be closed down, and I held the view you couldn’t close the ACB down because that is the bank that gives finance to the Ibo traders, and if you close it down they’ll find it difficult to revive or to survive. So it was given.

I did the same thing for the Cooperative Bank of Eastern Nigeria, to rehabilitate all these places, and I saw to it as commissioner for finance that no obstacle was placed in the way of the ministry of economic planning in planning for rehabilitation of the war affected areas."
stop copying and pasting those nonesense written by your fellow yoruba Revisionist.

On what grand did they get awolowo loan?
what were the collateral for Igbo traders to get the loans?

Was there any rehabilitation
in east after the war.

Did your awolowo government Reconstruct anywhere in east after the war.If yes then mention where and where.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 1:05pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
stop copying and pasting those nonesense written by your fellow yoruba Revisionist.

On what grand did they get awolowo loan?
what were the collateral for Igbo traders to get the loans?

Was there any rehabilitation
in east after the war.

Did your awolowo government Reconstruct anywhere in east after the war.If yes then mention where and where.

Stop asking silly questions and prove the quoted words wrong undecided

3 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Deebwebb: 1:09pm On May 05, 2020
Yoruba's trying to cause disunity between south east and south south,you guys need new allies why not try north,you lot are betrayals and coward,after backstabbing goodluck you now want ally from us...

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Tranquillity360: 1:11pm On May 05, 2020
MinorityOpinion:

Stop asking silly questions and prove the quoted words wrong undecided
Prove wrong a Quote written by a yoruba man around 2012.

If you can't answer the questions i asked then am done with you.

4 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Paperwhite(m): 1:11pm On May 05, 2020
Awolowo acted wrongly during & after the war.

4 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by LivingSage: 1:12pm On May 05, 2020
Very fair Oselu baba ikene

1 Like

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Yaribanzaonic: 1:13pm On May 05, 2020
Afonja OP!!...Kpele ohhh!!!

You wallow in Pain and Fear of IGBOs. Its so Obvious that its heavy in the air.

BUT THE BEAUTY OF IT ALL, IS THAT YOU AND YOUR CONGREGATION OF PARASITIC AFONJAs will NEVER Surpass IGBOs.

You ONLY FEAR who is REALLY BETTER THAN YOU!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 1:14pm On May 05, 2020
Igbo amaka

5 Likes

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by tatatar: 1:20pm On May 05, 2020
Maybe you should have just let them all starve to death.Now see the menace they constitute.
Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 1:48pm On May 05, 2020
Deebwebb:
Yoruba's trying to cause disunity between south east and south south,you guys need new allies why not try north,you lot are betrayals and coward,after backstabbing goodluck you now want ally from us...

Between a tribe that massacred your grand parents, raped your grandmothers, looted your tribe
and
a tribe that voted what they thought was the best for them.

Who should you be angry with? Pick your fight wisely unless you are an ipob pretending to be SS

1 Like

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 1:51pm On May 05, 2020
Tranquillity360:
Prove wrong Quote written by a yoruba man around 2012.

If you can't answer the questions i asked then am done with you.

Are you for real? undecided you dont know the meaning of prove wrong ?

It means bring another fact that will prove the above quote wrong.

1 Like

Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 05, 2020
tatatar:
Maybe you should have just let them all starve to death.Now see the menace they constitute.

Two wrongs don't make a right. He did good.
Re: "I Was Fair To The Igbos" - Awolowo (1983 Interview) by iFukLivingSage: 1:55pm On May 05, 2020
[s]
LivingSage:
Very fair Oselu baba ikene
[/s]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria May Shut Down The Internet As #endsars Protests Continue / The Tribe That Need Nigeria Unity The Most / Ukraine vs Russia Has Exposed the Hypocrisy Of A Black Nigerian Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.